• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

KingGondo

Banned
OSU up to #15.

Really hope this is the year Travis Ford finally puts a decent team on the court. Cowboy basketball has been depressing since I left school in 2006.

Fjordson

Figures, once again it's never too early to get fucking bad luck as a Louisville fan.

Dieng out with a broken wrist, and best case he's back around UK game but probably not. Worst case, he's sidelined the entire year.

It never fucking ends, I swear. We're the most cursed major program in college basketball the past decade with the amount of injuries and problems we go through, bar none.
I just saw that on ESPN. Fucking hell man, I'm sorry to hear that. Such bad luck. Especially coming in a game that you guys were winning handily.

Hopefully he'll be back in the next month or two and you guys will be fully loaded come tournament time. And I still like the team in the meantime. Even without Dieng, they were a few more made free throws and one or two possessions going differently away from beating Duke.

Bowser

Big blow for UNC - Hairston hurt his knee in practice Sunday and is questionable for the IU game tomorrow. Strickland said docs believe it's a sprained MCL and that PJ wouldn't go tomorrow.

Makes a tough game at IU that much tougher.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just bought my tickets for the Michigan/Bradley game in Peoria next Saturday!

In other news Nik Stauskas was named BIG freshman of the week.

thefro

The next big thing made his Indiana High School basketball debut

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwi.../fab-frosh-eron-gordon-scores-31-in-debut.htm

Wednesday's game was a showdown between two of the top programs in Indianapolis and Gordon was facing three future Division I guards in Pike's Zavier Turner (Ball State), Jordan Pickett (Loyola) and TaiShaun Johnson.

"Thirty one points?" Pickett said to the Star. "Golly. He's a great player and he's going to be even better. Thirty one? That's insane. We have three of the top guards in the state and he put 31 on us. Props to him."

carolina fans would lol. k hates being stuck w/ us cause we'll show up/stay just for the duke game to boo them.

That.

Duke in the same building as Carolina means the "preferred destination" just became another road game.

On the other hand, if they shipped Duke off to anywhere else in the United States, the crowd dynamic wouldn't be that much different. Except for maybe NY/NJ, right guys?

jayhawker

Well that was a good 2/3 of a game. Last 1/3 was ugly. When they started tripling Withey, we just couldn't hit an open jumpshot, which is terrifying. I'm going to have nightmares tonight of going 2/21 from 3 against VCU in the elite 8.

But I can't help but be heartened at the fact that Jeff Withey was a potent enough offensive weapon that they needed to triple him. And he responded with a "triple" of his own!

I'll admit to engaging in some schadenfreude when UCLA gave up that big lead, and we basically did the same thing tonight, but were lucky enough to pull out the win.

DominoKid

Big blow for UNC - Hairston hurt his knee in practice Sunday and is questionable for the IU game tomorrow. Strickland said docs believe it's a sprained MCL and that PJ wouldn't go tomorrow.

Makes a tough game at IU that much tougher.

No chance. PJ getting hot was our only hope I think. Roy needs to feed him. There is absolutely no reason (seniority is for bitches, best players play) for PJ to be sitting behind Dex when it's plainly obvious who the better player is. But Roy will get this wrong like usual unless his hand is forced.

Bowser

Bleh, pls god no to the B1G. No one from NC is going to travel for bball/football games in Ohio, Illinois, and Pennsylvania.

SEC is the correct cultural and geographic fit.

True but both schools are a better fit with the B1G academically. Oh and then there's the money. God that conference for basketball would be a gauntlet.

I'm wondering how that would be organized?

Big 10 East
UNC
Duke
Ohio St
Penn St
Rutgers
Maryland
Michigan St
Michigan

Big 10 West
Illinois
Indiana
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin

I miss anyone?

Bowser

True but both schools are a better fit with the B1G academically. Oh and then there's the money. God that conference for basketball would be a gauntlet.

I'm wondering how that would be organized?

Big 10 East
UNC
Duke
Ohio St
Penn St
Rutgers
Maryland
Michigan St
Michigan

Big 10 West
Illinois
Indiana
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin

I miss anyone?

What would likely be the new SEC East wouldn't be too bad academically (obviously not on par with Big 10, but practicality matters more to me (and should to the BoT) than perception):

SEC East
UNC
UVA
Vanderbilt
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

alstein

Latest realignment rumors have Duke and UNC joining B1G. I had heard about UNC but not Duke. Holy shit if this goes down!

Why would they take Duke over Virginia or GT? Duke brings negative value in football.

It's going to suck for the ACC schools that have to go to the Big XII, I hope it isn't State. IT's going to suck more for the folks who don't get in, like Wake, BC, and Miami.

I don't see State, UVA, VT, Clemson, FSU being left out of the picture- they're too big. GT/Pitt/Syracuse is kinda dicey. BC/Wake/Miami are boned.

DominoKid

^somebody will pick up GT and Miami. the rest are pretty boned.

as for UNC it should be SEC or bust.
B10 is an awful fit and its boring as hell in general.

Draxal

Boston College has a chance at getting into the BIG if they drag big brother (ND) along. Pitt's definitely too big of a school (with good demics/market) to fail. Miami might just due the fact that it's going to get nuked from orbit by the NCAA. Duke's actually in for some trouble (hence Coach K complaining).

UNC blocked WVU from the ACC, while they were by far the best Big East team for poaching. Academics do matter.

Common line of thought is NC State/Vtech to the Sec and NC/UVA to the BIG due to political reasons as well.

I really don't think the ACC is going to get blown up for a while though.

jakncoke

Banned
I was excited for Pitt to join the ACC for nice matchups, but it seems this shit is getting blown up as well. Fuck it, lets just blow all the conferences up and have a free for all

alstein

Boston College has a chance at getting into the BIG if they drag big brother (ND) along. Pitt's definitely too big of a school (with good demics/market) to fail. Miami might just due the fact that it's going to get nuked from orbit by the NCAA. Duke's actually in for some trouble (hence Coach K complaining).

UNC blocked WVU from the ACC, while they were by far the best Big East team for poaching. Academics do matter.

Common line of thought is NC State/Vtech to the Sec and NC/UVA to the BIG due to political reasons as well.

I really don't think the ACC is going to get blown up for a while though.

I think it gets blown up fast. FSU really wants to bolt, Clemson and NCSU are sick of Swofford in particular. VT would want to stay, but they're not going to be stupid about it- though VA legislature might screw them up. UVA/Pitt are too big to fail, GT might be.

Heard rumors that FLA/GA/SCAR can't block FSU/GT/Clemson now, because they'd need another vote. (Kentucky?) I could see Kentucky blocking UNC if it came to it.

The real question is how do the Big XII/Pac XII get to 16. If I were Louisville, I'd decline ACC membership if offered, save yourself the buyout fee.

I heard the UNC rumor, and they're a fairly good fit for the B1G, increasingly ridiculous distances aside ...
They can trade cheating tips with OSU!
Not sure about Duke. I don't think any of this happens any time soon, some dominoes need to fall first.

Next up are FSU and maybe Clemson. If they bolt for SEC/B12 respectively, then it's game on.
You Illini fans would have a legit reason to hate us I guess.
We never got our payback for those close losses to Jay Williams, and you knocked us out of the tournament in 2004! Yes, I know, for you it was a Tuesday. Freaking Duhon and his god damned injured rib.

I root for Duke in Duke/UNC games

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Not taking anything away from Meatchicken but NCSU is playing like they could be doing something else instead. Michigan, in contrast, looks like a really good team, and I mean team

Meier

The Noles still can't shoot but oh well. Some day Ham will hire a coach who can actually improve our offense.. he has to, right?

Lkr

If anyone is at the FSU game(still) look for the ginger guy on the band side when Minnesota is shooting FTs. Only reason I'm still here

Piecake

Gophers had me worried there for a second

As for Big 10 expansion, I can definitely see them wanting UNC, but not Duke. Duke sucks at football and doesnt fit the profile of a huge, public land grand university. Course, maybe UNC only bounces if Duke comes with them since it might be a tough sell to their fans if they abandon that historic rivalry for the monies.

Does UNC make that much bank that Duke can piggy back into the big 10? (assuming they actually want to)

As for the SEC, I really dont see UNC going there. Academics matter, and I think UNC would prefer to be associated with either the ACC or the Big 10, not the SEC

Top Bottom