• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Been reading Big 10 expansion thread on a UNC forum and its just kinda funny to me that a few of the biggest detractors there do not want to join the Big 10 because UNC is a Southern school, and that they would rather move to the SEC because thats a Southern Conference

I just find it odd that that is really important to some people

It's just geography. Closer distances between the schools and better weather. For people that go to a lot of away games, it makes sense.

Amory

10 days ago...

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out. C'mon down UConn (sit down and shut the fuck up BC).

Don't jinx it! Connecticut's been snubbed before :(

That said, I'd love to be a part of ACC-gaf!

GOD DAMNIT I knew we were gonna get screwed over again!!!!!

It's like UConn's destiny that we have to go down with the ship. And now word is we're getting ECU and Tulane, so obviously we're all super excited about that.

Draxal

10 days ago...

GOD DAMNIT I knew we were gonna get screwed over again!!!!!

It's like UConn's destiny that we have to go down with the ship. And now word is we're getting ECU and Tulane, so obviously we're all super excited about that.

I blame the Rent, that stadium is so horrible and so far away from your student campus.

Amory

Man, this really sucks lol.

I'd rather Connecticut join the A10 than be stuck in this joke of a conference.

Fjordson

The whole Big East situation is a little confusing to me. The conference had become really strong, especially for basketball. What happened last year that caused everyone to start jumping ship?

The whole Big East situation is a little confusing to me. The conference had become really strong, especially for basketball. What happened last year that caused everyone to start jumping ship?

Revenue is basically 80% football, 20% basketball, 0% other. They were unstable for football, which inviting poaching, which created more instability, more poaching, now football revenue is severely hampered, and the whole thing is a crumbling house of cards.

Fjordson

Revenue is basically 80% football, 20% basketball, 0% other. They were unstable for football, which inviting poaching, which created more instability, more poaching, now football revenue is severely hampered, and the whole thing is a crumbling house of cards.
Oh man, I didn't even consider the football angle. Makes sense.

Also sounds like the Big East leaders voted down a TV deal with ESPN last year for football that was worth over a billion. Soon after that is when West Virginia, Syracuse, and Pitt got out.

Not that I'm ever a fan of the conferences since they're all just money hungry bastards, but it's a shame to see the Big East's fall as a basketball fan (and as someone who doesn't really care about college football). Was always fun seeing all the good competition and the Big East tourney in New York.

Though all these teams being in the ACC eventually will be fun to watch.

Draxal

Oh man, I didn't even consider the football angle. Makes sense.

Also sounds like the Big East leaders voted down a TV deal with ESPN last year for football that was worth over a billion. Soon after that is when West Virginia, Syracuse, and Pitt got out.

Not that I'm ever a fan of the conferences since they're all just money hungry bastards, but it's a shame to see the Big East's fall as a basketball fan (and as someone who doesn't really care about college football). Was always fun seeing all the good competition and the Big East tourney in New York.

Though all these teams being in the ACC eventually will be fun to watch.

1. All revenue from the NCAA tournament goes to the NCAA, it really skews it in favor of football. The other is that the ratings for football are dramatically higher than basketball, it's a classic case of supply and demand.

2. Basically what caused the death knell was the Big East trying to push up Villanova to Big East for football, it angered alot of teams (Pitt and Rutgers) especially, but mainly Pitt.

1. All revenue from the NCAA tournament goes to the NCAA, it really skews it in favor of football. The other is that the ratings for football are dramatically higher than basketball, it's a classic case of supply and demand.

2. Basically what caused the death knell was the Big East trying to push up Villanova to Big East for football, it angered alot of teams (Pitt and Rutgers) especially, but mainly Pitt.

Pretty much. Although Pitt, Cuse, WVU, etc. did vote to turn down the TV deal, I don't think they expected such a large push for Nova. On the UCF side I know that the TV deal included both TCU and UCF. USF was vehemently opposed to UCF and did everything possible to not include them. They were one of the chief proponents of the Nova thing.

Kind of funny now that they're getting left out just like us. Although I recognize they are probably still ahead of us should the ACC lose a Florida school.

But let's be honest. Even if that original TV deal was proposed, all teams invited somewhere else would have left anyway.

Don't do it, ACC. Wherever Louisville goes, death follows!
Hey, Conference USA didn't fold because of us, and we had one of the best records in the Big East while we were there!

Anyway, as you can imagine...I'm fucking ecstatic!!!

This is the optimal move in b-ball (and we'll see familiar foes in Pitt, ND, & SU), and we shall definitely see when it comes to football (gotta wait for division info, etc.). I can only imagine how much this will help recruiting.

Draxal

Pretty much. Although Pitt, Cuse, WVU, etc. did vote to turn down the TV deal, I don't think they expected such a large push for Nova. On the UCF side I know that the TV deal included both TCU and UCF. USF was vehemently opposed to UCF and did everything possible to not include them. They were one of the chief proponents of the Nova thing.

Kind of funny now that they're getting left out just like us. Although I recognize they are probably still ahead of us should the ACC lose a Florida school.

But let's be honest. Even if that original TV deal was proposed, all teams invited somewhere else would have left anyway.

Ya, Rutgers would of jumped to the BIG in a nano second.

I think Cuse and WVU actually approved the deal, it was Pitt, Rutgers, and Georgetown who declined it iirc.

Bowser

Hey, Conference USA didn't fold because of us, and we had one of the best records in the Big East while we were there!

Anyway, as you can imagine...I'm fucking ecstatic!!!

This is the optimal move in b-ball (and we'll see familiar foes in Pitt, ND, & SU), and we shall definitely see when it comes to football (gotta wait for division info, etc.). I can only imagine how much this will help recruiting.

For football, I'm assuming you'll just assume Maryland's spot in the Atlantic

So can FSU and Clemson join the Big 12 now ?

Pay close attention to the ACC lawsuit vs UMD on the exit fee. If they have to pay the full $50m, I don't think you'll see FSU or Clemson make a move. If they negotiate it down to something more manageable? Game on.

Amory

God I'm pissed. What the hell are we going to do now? I laughed when I saw Tulane and ECU were coming in because I never actually thought we'd be there when they got to the BEast. Good chance Boise State and Houston back out of joining...

If FSU leaves the ACC like people expect then they'll probably look at South Florida...

We're pretty fucked.

chris121580

Man, that's the best we've looked in years. That final 4 minutes of the first half was just unreal. Cody missing his own shot and then putting it back with a dunk was so sick. Love the effort of this team and most importantly the unselfishness. I feel like Yogi was a huge missing piece. We haven't had a pass first point guard in a long time. I was hoping Jordy would pull off the triple double. He came close

alstein

For football, I'm assuming you'll just assume Maryland's spot in the Atlantic

Pay close attention to the ACC lawsuit vs UMD on the exit fee. If they have to pay the full $50m, I don't think you'll see FSU or Clemson make a move. If they negotiate it down to something more manageable? Game on.

There would be no negotiation, as the exodus would kill the ACC for many of the schools, who wouldn't be relevant in the future. Wake/Duke/BC/Miami would all suffer.

W1SSY

Man, that's the best we've looked in years. That final 4 minutes of the first half was just unreal. Cody missing his own shot and then putting it back with a dunk was so sick. Love the effort of this team and most importantly the unselfishness. I feel like Yogi was a huge missing piece. We haven't had a pass first point guard in a long time. I was hoping Jordy would pull off the triple double. He came close
Hulls is playing the best he has at point guard in his four years of being at Indiana which had surprised me. It also seems like he had stepped up his defense from previous seasons and that has allowed Indiana to have Yogi on the court at the same time.

Personally I cannot wait for Elston to come back and Perea to be eligible. That improves Indiana's depth in the post and Elston can pull out the opposing players big because he can hit from outside. Indiana has just such great depth this year it is scary.

Branduil

So now it looks like Josh Smith may be leaving UCLA.

Dan Guerrero is a malignant cancer festering on the remains of UCLA's athletic legacy. It's an absolute joke that he hasn't been fired yet for failing to fire Ben Howland.

There would be no negotiation, as the exodus would kill the ACC for many of the schools, who wouldn't be relevant in the future. Wake/Duke/BC/Miami would all suffer.

Private universities shouldn't be in the big conferences anyway. Their athletic budgets are getting subsidized with value created from much bigger taxpayer supported state schools. Duke, Wake, Vandy, Northwestern, Baylor, Stanford, Syracuse, Miami, BC, etc. are all culprits.

DominoKid

it's depressing to realize how dogshit UNC's player development is compared to other elite programs. is there anybody worse among the blue bloods?

couple this with roy regressing as a coach and a recruiter and i think were in for some lean years in the near future. like...sweet 16 as the ceiling lean.

Branduil

it's depressing to realize how dogshit UNC's player development is compared to other elite programs.

ibd5ZSmHDRjGJr.jpg

Karakand

So now it looks like Josh Smith may be leaving UCLA.

Dan Guerrero is a malignant cancer festering on the remains of UCLA's athletic legacy. It's an absolute joke that he hasn't been fired yet for failing to fire Ben Howland.

It's confirmed.

What. The. Fuck.

Bowser

it's depressing to realize how dogshit UNC's player development is compared to other elite programs. is there anybody worse among the blue bloods?

couple this with roy regressing as a coach and a recruiter and i think were in for some lean years in the near future. like...sweet 16 as the ceiling lean.

Eh, we'll be fine. We don't have the horses this year. It is a little disturbing to see 5* recruits play like ass, but some of these guys shouldn't really be 5* recruits (*waves at Dex*). Remember, just last season, we're likely in the Final 4, potentially the title game, if Marshall doesn't break his wrist. Henson developed pretty well in his 3 years at UNC.

Hopefully we get Wiggins doe *prays*

Karakand

In all fairness, I'd quit too if I lost to Cal Poly SLO.

But wow this is almost Reeves Nelson fucked.

whatahorribledaytobeacalbear.jpg

MSU letting Miami hang around through one half. Don't screw this up, Izzo!

Though I see Purdue is unexpectedly kicking ass, so that's nice.
can only hope for a nuke for the ohio st/duke game.
This is how I felt about UNC/IU, but it didn't happen.

Go OSU... I guess....

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
In a fit of rage with Time Warner I just cancelled my cable tv.

Going to be fun to see how long I last.

If you tell them you're going to satellite, they hook you up with sweet deals.

Good luck Bucknuticus and Betram. I've taken a bit of cold medicine so I might not make it through the game. Sleep sounds really fucking awesome right now.

Fjordson

Ryan Harrow's back with UK practicing. First week was sick "they still don't know what it was". Second week was going back home to deal with a "family matter" with his mom. Wonder what the hell happened. Hopefully nothing serious.

jakncoke

Banned
MSU letting Miami hang around through one half. Don't screw this up, Izzo!

Though I see Purdue is unexpectedly kicking ass, so that's nice.

This is how I felt about UNC/IU, but it didn't happen.

Go OSU... I guess....

I was hoping the same, well i guess it pretty safe bet I hate just about every team for one reason or another

Top Bottom