• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Bowser

Today I am one sad wildcat. Not to say that it isn't deserved, but out of the Top 25 completely? Gawd daaaaamn.

Hey, look at the bright side, at least you're probably not going to the NIT a year after winning the title!

*still has nightmares from 2009-2010 season*

Pollux

Hey, look at the bright side, at least you're probably not going to the NIT a year after winning the title!

*still has nightmares from 2009-2010 season*

That remains to be seen...shit happens and all that.

But you're probably right.

Bwahahaha. The Illini have one of the B1G network's "let's have some students do the commentary and sideline reporting from this game, it'll be awesome!" games tonight.

Amory

Chance for UConn to beat a second top-25 ranked team so far this year!

God it's hard to care when you can't make the tournament.

But since he reclassified we have had the new 2015 #1 Diamond Stone on campus recently.

ioNGCD3GUJaiH.gif

Fjordson

This is going to be a dumb question probably, but how can kids reclassify like they do? They just take extra classes to graduate a year earlier than planned? Or are held back in some cases to graduate a year later? I think Wiggins from next year's class did the same thing if I'm not mistaken.

(wasn't in America until I was basically done with school so I"m not totally familiar with the high school system)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This is going to be a dumb question probably, but how can kids reclassify like they do? They just take extra classes to graduate a year earlier than planned? Or are held back in some cases to graduate a year later? I think Wiggins from next year's class did the same thing if I'm not mistaken.

(wasn't in America until I was basically done with school so I"m not totally familiar with the high school system)

Yeah I think they just take a bunch of summer classes.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Even us schooled here don't quite understand it. I believe you need X amount of credit hours and certain classes to graduate and declared eligible. One of the rubs of the new NBA rule that you have to be 20 I think to be in the draft (can't remember if that passed) is your blue chippers will still reclassify, transfer to a basketball academy for their extra year and still only spend one year in college.

Not that Townes commitment was a surprise to anyone, but it would have been funny had he picked someone else after Cal spent that time coaching that sorry ass national team.

alstein

It's possible to graduate HS in 3 years some places if you take specific classes and maybe summer classes. I had that option in the 90s, but it's not really smart unless you have real support for college- it's hard enough for an 18-yr old to adjust to college, let alone a 17-yr old. One of my best friends was 15 when he started college while I was in, and he really had a rough time outside of the academics.

One of the rubs of the new NBA rule that you have to be 20 I think to be in the draft (can't remember if that passed) is your blue chippers will still reclassify, transfer to a basketball academy for their extra year and still only spend one year in college.

I think the rule is either you have to be turning 19 within the draft year or be a year removed from high school graduation. So the new path is to essentially replace your senior year of high school with Kentucky.

DominoKid

a lot of the big time recruits are a year behind anyway.
when noel did it he was returning to his original class.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Plenty of interesting match ups tonight.....

Ohio 6-1 (Road: 0-1)
Memphis 4-2 (Home: 3-0)

Tennessee 4-2 (Road: 0-1)
Virginia 6-2 (Home: 5-1)

(6) Florida 6-0 (Road: 0-0)
Florida St. 4-3 (Home: 2-3)

Stephen F. Austin 5-0 (Road: 2-0)
Texas A&M 6-1 (Home: 4-0)

Charlotte 7-0 (Road: 0-0)
Davidson 4-3 (Home: 1-0)

Dayton 5-2 (Road: 0-0)
Alabama 6-1 (Home: 4-0)

South Florida 5-2 (Road: 1-0)
(23) Oklahoma St. 5-1 (Home: 2-0)

Temple 5-0 (Road: 2-0)
Villanova 4-3 (Home: 2-1)

USC 3-4 (Road: 0-1)
(18) New Mexico 8-0 (Home: 4-0)

Colorado St. 6-0 (Road: 2-0)
Colorado 6-1 (Home: 3-0)

(10) Gonzaga 8-0 (Road: 0-0)
Washington St. 5-3 (Home: 5-0)

The Pac 12 has the chance to knock off 3 undefeated mid-majors. Colorado is probably the only one of the 3 that actually gets the job done though.

a lot of the big time recruits are a year behind anyway.
when noel did it he was returning to his original class.

That makes sense. It's becoming common to hold kids back a year, presumably so they have an extra year of development to look better to colleges. The coaches son at my high school did that even though he was a pipsqueak and it was a little controversial, so I have to assume it's a way to beat the whole Gladwell/Outliers/Canadian hockey birth date phenomenon. If you're already #1 in the class you might as well skip back up.

Fjordson

Ah, thanks for the answers. Pretty interesting. Hard to relate to changing around everything in your life to better suit basketball, but I'd probably do something similar if I was ever good enough to make mountains of cash from it :lol

I just wish the NBA would do away with the 19 year-old minimum to enter the draft. Let the kids who aren't interested in college bball go out of high school. Sure, some kids would be making a mistake, but it's their responsibility I think. And some of the best players in the NBA over the last 10-15 years came straight out of high school.

jakncoke

Banned
We're shooting so good. hate this team so much.

The Pac 12 has the chance to knock off 3 undefeated mid-majors. Colorado is probably the only one of the 3 that actually gets the job done though.

nearly losing to Texas Southern, then losing to Wyoming. Wouldnt be so sure

Fjordson

Wiggins is the top guy in that class now, eh? Ahead of Parker?

Says he has an offer from UK, but I bet he doesn't go. Seems too similar in size to what we already have in James Young. I sort of hope we get that Julius Randle kid to play the 4.

Bowser

Wiggins is the top guy in that class now, eh? Ahead of Parker?

Says he has an offer from UK, but I bet he doesn't go. Seems too similar in size to what we already have in James Young. I sort of hope we get that Julius Randle kid to play the 4.

It's widely known that Wiggins will decide between UK and FSU. FSU is only in the picture because both his parents are alums.

Fjordson

It's widely known that Wiggins will decide between UK and FSU. FSU is only in the picture because both his parents are alums.
Oh, really? That kind of surprises me. Isn't he a shooting guard? He'll basically be our third after one of the Harrison twins and James Young. Unless I'm mixed up and one of those guys plays the 3.

Top Bottom