• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

NewLib

Banned
Not pretty so far. Notre Dame has been hitting their shots after that dry spell in the first few minutes and now we look terrible.

I'm just not sure where we're going sometimes on offense. Goodwin is great at attacking the basket and Wiltjer is an excellent shooter, but after that we get sort of...stuck sometimes. Especially against the zone. Ugh.

They just aren't that good. They are a fringe top 25 team

iamblades

They aren't even running an offense half the time, they are just standing around hoping someone gets open.

It's not as bas as the numbers suggest on the defensive end, ND has hit some ridiculous shots. But what the hell is going on on the offensive side?

Fjordson

Yeah, exactly. The offense is the negative tonight.

Also, our rebounding still looks suspect at times. They just showed our leading rebounders and it's Goodwin with 5...this far into the game and our point guard is leading us with 5 boards. Not good.

lush

It's November. Pre-January basketball is pretty meaningless. It'll take some time with UK like it normally does. Warms my heart to see them getting handled though.

iamblades

Yeah, exactly. The offense is the negative tonight.

Also, our rebounding still looks suspect at times. They just showed our leading rebounders and it's Goodwin with 5...this far into the game and our point guard is leading us with 5 boards. Not good.

From the start of the game they have been playing ND's game, even when they got that early lead it was just because they were hitting and ND wasn't.

It should be a much closer game as bad as UK is playing though. I've never seen Wiltjer miss this many open threes and ND has hit several closely guarded shots. Not sure I like our defense allowing them to run their offense with no pressure though, but with the way our help defense has been early this season, what is the alternative?

That was like a Notre Dame variety show being held in a gym that just happened to have a basketball game scheduled.

I was really upset at how embarrassing we looked, but Notre Dame rushing the court evened that right up.

DominoKid

It's November. Pre-January basketball is pretty meaningless. It'll take some time with UK like it normally does. Warms my heart to see them getting handled though.

somethings are what they are in november.

i dont buy that the beginning of the season is meaningless.

somethings are what they are in november.

i dont buy that the beginning of the season is meaningless.

Pretty much. It's a long way to go with enough time to get there, but that doesn't change the fact that we simply aren't all that great right now. If we haven't gelled by the UofL game it could get ugly.

Garryk

Arkansas playing Syracuse tonight on ESPN. Hopefully they can bounce back after a crap showing the LV tourney.

Also, Duke is in full-on Beast Mode this year. Already taken down 3 top 5 teams in one month.

lush

Its the name on the jersey, not who's in them. I see my fair share of this every other year or so.

Notre Dame has absolutely no business rushing the court, especially for an 8th ranked UK team going through growing pains in November. It was a beatdown too. Act like you've been there before, and Notre Dame has.

There's an etiquette for shit like this.

Oh and I definitely agree things are what they seem this early, but UK will be fine. They'll make the tourney, I don't see #9 but they'll be more than fine next year. When it comes down to it though, outside of the wins for your non conference resume, pre-January just isn't that important.

Amory

Notre Dame has absolutely no business rushing the court, especially for an 8th ranked UK team going through growing pains in November. It was a beatdown too. Act like you've been there before, and Notre Dame has.

There's an etiquette for shit like this.

Oh and I definitely agree things are what they seem this early, but UK will be fine. They'll make the tourney, I don't see #9 but they'll be more than fine next year. When it comes down to it though, outside of the wins for your non conference resume, pre-January just isn't that important.

I tend to agree. Couple years ago unranked UConn beat a lame-duck #1 Texas team (they had already lost earlier in the week and were only still #1 because the new rankings hadn't come out yet) and students rushed the court. I was pissed.

But at the same time you can't expect the casual fan to have the same sense of "program dignity" as the hardcores. Notre Dame has no little number by their name, and they beat last year's championship school with a little #8 by their name. Plus rushing the court is fun and a quintessential college experience.

lush

I agree, all in good fun.

We've got a big game tonight @Georgetown. They look pretty good this year, think we'll have a shot if we can win the boards/shoot well from 3. Not all that confident though. We need Maymon back badly. Hoping it's a good game though.

jjasper

I have never understood why zone defense is so effective in college. It is like no one ever moves or tries to drive or move without the ball.

iamblades

I have never understood why zone defense is so effective in college. It is like no one ever moves or tries to drive or move without the ball.

There are lots of reasons why. Mostly the dimensions of the court make it more congested inside and the closer 3 point arc makes it easier to get out on shooters and there aren't even many shooters with range out to where a zone can't recover to them.

Also no defensive 3 second and how easy it is to flop and draw a charge call with college refs helps.

Fjordson

No defensive 3 in the key in college is a big part of that. You can just sit back and clog the paint. Not possible in the NBA with the 3 second rule.

And like iamblades said, the closer 3 point line means it's somewhat easier to defend against shooters because there's less ground to cover.

lush

Refs need to piss off with the touch fouls and maybe they'll catch that blatantly obvious goaltend from a minute ago.

linko9

This is the most pathetic basketball game I've seen in a long time... not sure if anyone deserves to be awarded a win :D

lush

3-11 at the free throw line. Horrible final possession. We need Maymon back badly, obviously nobody else can step up to break it.

Bowser

@Mr_KevinJones: Source: Georiga Tech and UVA will announce decision to leave ACC by Monday. Will join Big 10

Hm. This guy was allegedly first to break UMD to B1G as well. Sports reporter based out of DC.

Hm. This guy was allegedly first to break UMD to B1G as well. Sports reporter based out of DC.

But Virginia just announced their loyalty like 4 minutes ago. Realignment, make it stop.

UConn, Cincy, come on down.

Oh, I like how the ACC presidents unanimously decided to file suit against Maryland for the payment of the exit fee, knowing that probably half of them were hoping to lose.

File this away under "denials that later look silly"

Georgia Tech denies Big Can't Count rumors

The Big Ten expansion buzz hasn't died down this week, and much of the attention has been on the ACC.

North Carolina? Virginia? Georgia Tech?

The Georgia Tech rumors flared up Friday on the Twitterverse and elsewhere. The school is denying them, telling the Atlanta Journal Constitution that "there is no truth" to the chatter.

Should the Big Ten expand beyond 14, the East Coast and potentially the southeast make sense because of demographics. Georgia Tech would be a bit of a gamble -- North Carolina, meanwhile, would be an excellent addition -- but it would give the Big Ten a presence in the college football-crazed Atlanta market.

The ACC is trying to strengthen itself as much as possible for future raids and added Louisville to replace Maryland.

There's not much talk about Georgia Tech from the Big Ten end, but as we've found out in recent weeks, that doesn't mean a whole lot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/72848/georgia-tech-denies-big-ten-rumors

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
But Virginia just announced their loyalty like 4 minutes ago. Realignment, make it stop.

UConn, Cincy, come on down.

Oh, I like how the ACC presidents unanimously decided to file suit against Maryland for the payment of the exit fee, knowing that probably half of them were hoping to lose.

Losing UVA would suck and most likely prompt UNC to leave as well. When they go that's that. Welp, hopefully the SEC or B1G want a basketball upgrade. REMEMBER THAT WALLACE WADE WAS A FORMER ALABAMA COACH! WE HAVE OLD TIES THAT RUN DEEP!

I don't wanna go to the SoCon

Top Bottom