• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

I wonder how the sudden free agency of some of these teams will make the big conferences react, if at all (assuming the basketball schools indeed leave). The schools left aren't at the top of anybody's wishlist, but that doesn't mean they won't be grabbed (or at least some of them) or cause other dominoes to fall.

Amory

It's been a year since WVU left and Pitt/Syracuse were invited to the ACC. That's not a long time.

WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Louisville, and Notre Dame (without football) have all left in the past year. UConn is a leftover at this point that no conference really has to take, because we have no other prospects. Anyone could get us at any time, so we're being left on the shelf.

It's not a question of how long we've been waiting, it's the circumstances.

I see where you're coming from now. It's an unfortunate situation, no doubt about it. I don't see UConn being left out of things when everyone is finished playing magical chairs though. Even if the ACC adds Notre Dame in football they would still need another school to get to 16, and I'd put good money on that school being UConn.

alstein

I see where you're coming from now. It's an unfortunate situation, no doubt about it. I don't see UConn being left out of things when everyone is finished playing magical chairs though. Even if the ACC adds Notre Dame in football they would still need another school to get to 16, and I'd put good money on that school being UConn.

The ACC wouldn't get to 16, as the SEC/B10 would scarf up UNC/UVA/VT/NCSU to make sure that didn't happen

SEC/B10/P12 are going to remain the big 3 by any means necessary. B12 and ACC are pretty much in a dogfight to be the other one left standing, and I think the B12 is in much better position (fewer schools that are liabilities, more cohesion)

I continue to believe Big 12 minus 2 is vulnerable to the Pac-12. If Pac-12 moves to 14 or 16, they're not doing it by picking up Boise and San Diego State. Unless Pac-12 wants to skip all the way to the east coast and pluck ACC teams, I don't know where they're getting anybody if not the states of Texas and Oklahoma. A move by the Pac-12 would open it up for Big More Than Ten and the SEC to get involved.

Yes, yes, grant of rights. I'll believe it when I see it.

alstein

I continue to believe Big 12 minus 2 is vulnerable to the Pac-12. If Pac-12 moves to 14 or 16, they're not doing it by picking up Boise and San Diego State. Unless Pac-12 wants to skip all the way to the east coast and pluck ACC teams, I don't know where they're getting anybody if not the states of Texas and Oklahoma. A move by the Pac-12 would open it up for Big More Than Ten and the SEC to get involved.

Yes, yes, grant of rights. I'll believe it when I see it.

That's why I say it's the B10's ball. If they go east, the ACC is doomed, if they go west, the B12 is doomed. The SEC and P12 will scarf what remains of the B12 if the B10 goes west. Who would the B10 want in the B12 though- guessing Kansas and Oklahoma?

If the B10 goes east, SEC grabs NCSU/VT (almost a given, best two schools for the SEC that won't get blocked), B12 feasts on the ACC leftovers, P12 will have to accept some other Western schools to get to 16, or they stay at 12, while B10/B12 go to 18, then they merge into 64.

This is why I think the B10 goes East- UVA/UNC are richer plums than Kansas/Oklahoma off the field. B-ball it's value neutral, on-field its Kansas/OU, but VA/NC are richer states.

DominoKid

At the end of this, maybe Duke can find a home in the reconstituted Big East.

I'm still pulling for SoCon, however.

You don't want that yearly whooping from App.
Granted, for reasons that ONLY the admins & money people agree with, we're moving up to FBS soon. The students here are completely against it.

Granted, for reasons that ONLY the admins & money people agree with, we're moving up to FBS soon. The students here are completely against it.

Yeah, I heard there was talk of that. App doesn't realize what they'll be getting themselves into and what they'll be leaving behind. So disheartening.

On the other hand, they might move up just in time to join the ACC after everybody else leaves.

TheNatural

My Member!
RIP Big East, the King is dead, long live the King.

Sucks for the schools left out, but most have been FBS schools less than 10 years anyway. UCONN should have never went FBS, should have taken the smart route like Nova and stuck with the bball only schools.

I anticipate a east/west conference split. Big East remnants plus east C-USA is the new Metro. West C-USA absorbed into MWC. Could see Texas and midwest schools forming its own league with the remnants.

Amory

Sucks for the schools left out, but most have been FBS schools less than 10 years anyway. UCONN should have never went FBS, should have taken the smart route like Nova and stuck with the bball only schools.

fuck off dude, seriously. gotta kick people when they're down?

sad/funny tweet from a Hartford Courant sports writer:

When DePaul and Seton Hall kick your ass in realignment, wow, you might be praying that the Mayans were right.#WelcomeToConferenceUSALite

TheNatural

My Member!
fuck off dude, seriously. gotta kick people when they're down?

sad/funny tweet from a Hartford Courant sports writer:

When DePaul and Seton Hall kick your ass in realignment, wow, you might be praying that the Mayans were right.#WelcomeToConferenceUSALite

Not kicking anyone, but I find it hard to feel too sorry for mostly programs that have been Div 1A 8 years or less. It sucks, but big whoop, how long have you even kept up with football? Just go to the MAC or independent in football and join the rest in bball. Its still a formidable conference, especially with adding a Butler or Xavier.

Amory

Not kicking anyone, but I find it hard to feel too sorry for mostly programs that have been Div 1A 8 years or less. It sucks, but big whoop, how long have you even kept up with football? Just go to the MAC or independent in football and join the rest in bball. Its still a formidable conference, especially with adding a Butler or Xavier.

I don't see why the number of years at the FBS level matters at all. People are still invested in the team.

Not to mention the taxpayers of CT that are literally invested in the team, to the tune of $100+ million dollars.

Time should be less important versus investing in the sport and showing the school is willing to support big time football. Of course while having both time and commitment are most desirable, some schools simply started later. Doesn't mean they aren't serious about football.

As for the BE situation, it was a matter of time. The two factions should have split years ago. Both sides have fucked each other. However, it was the BB schools that for so long contributed to the overall league instability by blocking potential additions in the past and also by attempting to promote Nova to FBS football.

The BB schools have obviously now put other schools in a crap situation. Teams have left conferences after being invited by both the FB and BB schools and the BB schools decide to try to destruct the league months before full entry. After the conferences that teams left have already back-filled teams.

So obviously this will be a legal nightmare. The BB schools can attempt to take the name/history/money, etc. but that will be a fun time in court. It also looks like the BB schools can't just dissolve things according to latest reports(they need two football schools to vote to dissolve too). So if anything they'd be looking at leaving the BE and creating a new conference themselves.

Given that football drives the bus, I'd hope that if the BE name is lost, the schools left behind would form a new conference I guess. Call it Metro. If Boise and SDSU still are on board, then expand more in the west and convert all teams to all-sports. MWC gets 800k or so a year in TV money - their deal sucks bad and was signed in a different era. The new conference would still stand to make significantly more than that. Pull in one more from CUSA to preserve the 7 contiguous teams for NCAA auto-bid purposes. Still the 6th best FB conference and still a multi-bid BB league.

The new conference could also immediately ditch the existing TV contract and start anew. As it stands now, the BE will still be on ESPN regardless in 2013. Unless the league dissolves.

Regardless, there will be shitton of happy lawyers....

College sports is a joke now with all this conference realignment. Losing the Big East is really ridiculous- I grew up watching all these great rivalries that are now gone just for the sake of the dollar.

And we still don't have a college basketball video game.

Screw this.

Piecake

That's why I say it's the B10's ball. If they go east, the ACC is doomed, if they go west, the B12 is doomed. The SEC and P12 will scarf what remains of the B12 if the B10 goes west. Who would the B10 want in the B12 though- guessing Kansas and Oklahoma?

If the B10 goes east, SEC grabs NCSU/VT (almost a given, best two schools for the SEC that won't get blocked), B12 feasts on the ACC leftovers, P12 will have to accept some other Western schools to get to 16, or they stay at 12, while B10/B12 go to 18, then they merge into 64.

This is why I think the B10 goes East- UVA/UNC are richer plums than Kansas/Oklahoma off the field. B-ball it's value neutral, on-field its Kansas/OU, but VA/NC are richer states.

I think the only way the B10 expands is if they get Virginia and UNC. Simply much better demographics

Silkworm

Offensive explosion!

Congrats! Hopefully this win will propel UT towards continued success in their pre-SEC schedule. Only difficult games left on UT's schedule before the SEC season starts looks like Xavier and Memphis, two beatable teams. A good UT team is good for the SEC. After UK, UF, and Missouri there's a bit of a drop off right now.

Looking forward to seeing how UF fares at Arizona, a really good road test for Florida (thought the FSU game was going to be one too, until FSU made too many turnovers and got blown out on their own court). UF is healthy and should come ready to play Arizona. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game that the Gators end up winning (but even if they should lose it should offer a valuable experience that will payoff down the road during SEC play and hopefully beyond) :)

Fjordson

College sports is a joke now with all this conference realignment. Losing the Big East is really ridiculous- I grew up watching all these great rivalries that are now gone just for the sake of the dollar.

Screw this.
Yeah, all the conference shuffling gets tiresome. And it's a crime that there's no NCAA game.

I bet 2K Sports could do a pretty nice one.

devilhawk

I think the only way the B10 expands is if they get Virginia and UNC. Simply much better demographics

Correct. No one is taking a team from the Big12 for the immediate future. Unless that conference wants 13 years of a team's tv money being shipped to the Big12 due to the GoR.

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't see why the number of years at the FBS level matters at all. People are still invested in the team.

Not to mention the taxpayers of CT that are literally invested in the team, to the tune of $100+ million dollars.

Maybe these boosters that pushed for this move should have considered the risks.
Everyone wants to jump from FCS like they are entitled to some free meal ticket, just because. No one is entitled to anything just because money was invested. UCONN blew it when they made the Fiesta Bowl as the worst BCS team ever, fans had a chance to show up and prove their worth and didn't. And UCONN lost $10 million.
Too many teams get approved for ill advised jumps to FBS. Be glad you at least have a conference future period, unlike about 10 WAC teams soon to be out of a conference. Programs with less than 10 years playing 1A football have no room to bitch getting skipped over when others who actually have the fan support got skipped over for decades. Pay your dues, then get invited.

Maybe these boosters that pushed for this move should have considered the risks.
Everyone wants to jump from FCS like they are entitled to some free meal ticket, just because. No one is entitled to anything just because money was invested. UCONN blew it when they made the Fiesta Bowl as the worst BCS team ever, fans had a chance to show up and prove their worth and didn't. And UCONN lost $10 million.
Too many teams get approved for ill advised jumps to FBS. Be glad you at least have a conference future period, unlike about 10 WAC teams soon to be out of a conference. Programs with less than 10 years playing 1A football have no room to bitch getting skipped over when others who actually have the fan support got skipped over for decades. Pay your dues, then get invited.

lol yeah a team that is one of the few (if not only) that went from:

Division III
to
Division II
to
Division I-AA/FCS
to
Division I/FBS...

Yup no hard work there. Just dicked around over the decades I guess. No progression, no siree. No dues. lol fuck that dumb shit. We went from a goddamn volunteer coach basically to a 40+ million budget in 30 years. Shit takes time and there are teams out there that have shown the commitment. Despite time working against them.

Oh, and don't blame UConn that season for the rest of the BE sucking even more donkey dick to even allow them to get into that position.

Fjordson

Did any Kentucky fans watch the Harrison bros. play? I missed the game, who won?
I watched it. Fort Bend Travis (Harrison twins) won in overtime by three.

You can tell that they're going to be damn good. Their ballhandling and scoring ability is already impressive. Though the point guard, Andrew I think, is coming back from straining his hamstring, so he was sort of limited on what he could do. Wasn't moving too well.

The other twin had some nice buckets, though. He actually had the top 10 recruit on Mitty guarding him (Aaron Gordon) who is a good three inches taller, and he was still scoring in the paint. Dude has an insane cross over. Both of them are smooth as hell, never look rushed. Not something you can say for our guards this year :lol

The Mitty kid looked really solid, though he was by far the tallest player on the court all game so not sure how good of a test it was for him. Even if Fort Bend played him well with a bunch of double and triple teams every time he caught it. If I'm remembering correctly, he's narrowed his schools down to Arizona, Washington, and Kentucky so I guess there's a chance he could be playing with the Harrisons next year. That'd be a pretty dope trio to go with James Young and anyone else we get.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

LOL, maybe five years ago but not now. App State football isn't what it once was and they let their coach go. That team that upset Michigan is a distant memory, now its a team that got run on by the Citadel, who got blown out by NCSU, who in turn was beat by both UNC and blown out by UVA, teams we beat.

If we played App this year, Duke would roll them, and it would not be close. 5 years ago, App would have rolled Duke.

alstein

There are too many I-A football programs as is.

Half of the FBS schools should really be FCS. That includes some ACC programs like Duke, Wake, Miami, and maybe BC.

DominoKid

LOL, maybe five years ago but not now. App State football isn't what it once was and they let their coach go. That team that upset Michigan is a distant memory, now its a team that got run on by the Citadel, who got blown out by NCSU, who in turn was beat by both UNC and blown out by UVA, teams we beat.

If we played App this year, Duke would roll them, and it would not be close. 5 years ago, App would have rolled Duke.

dont gas yourself ock.

jakncoke

Banned

Screw this.

You know Big East only became a conference because of $$, kinda ironic it dies because it as well.

It is official. The non-football schools of the Big East are withdrawing. Don't know what conference they are forming. I'm sure they'll pull a few from A-10 or other conferences or something to get beyond 7 teams. Looks like there isn't a legal avenue to take the name, etc. since they are announcing their departure rather than them kicking teams out and voiding invites to incoming schools.

The current Big East will I'm sure be converting a lot of these football only invites, should Boise St and SDSU stay onboard with this mess, to all-sports invites.

It is certainly something that needed to happen for the better health of both entities. But this is just horrible timing. Wish it could have happened 10 years ago or something.

Top Bottom