• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

3 point loss with that foul shooting and stretches of terrible turnovers, totally frustrating, but the way the team played the last 15 minutes is a good sign.
Cauley-Stein earned my respect on that court. You could tell boy played his heart out.

Cats were like a slasher villain - they just wouldn't die.

Starting to see some good signs from UK, but we're going to need to kill it in league play if we plan on getting a halfway decent seed in the tournament.

iamblades

Starting to see some good signs from UK, but we're going to need to kill it in league play if we plan on getting a halfway decent seed in the tournament.

I don't even care about seed this year, as long as we aren't an 8/9.. Even then I'm not terrified of any of the potential 1 seeds.

Though I still think we need to do well in conference, mainly because the conference sucks and if we don't do well it's a sign we aren't developing the way we should.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan will be without the services of Tim Hardaway Jr because of a twisted ankle. Freshman Caris Levert will be making his first career start. Not bad for a kid who was sat out the first 7 or 8 games because the plan was to redshirt.

Fjordson

Surprised at how well we showed up in the second half against Louisville, but we're just not there this year it seems like. There are flashes of brilliance from certain players, but not enough for a complete game against some of these top teams. And smaller problems like allowing offensive boards and free throw shooting continue to hurt us.

Kudos to U of L. One of the best teams out there. That defense is maddeningly good.

iamblades

Man, UK fans settling for moral victories now. SMDH.

It's not about moral victories, it's about perspective and knowing whats important, and that is march.

It's not football, it's basketball. It will be settled on the court, so no use stressing too much over a 3 pt loss to a top 5 team in December.

Looks like Michigan State vs. Minnesota tomorrow is available to watch on watchespn.com as it doesn't have the key icon next to it. Yes! Just saved money as I don't have to go to the bar now.

UK put out a statement that the ref signaled for Alex to shoot the shots so he did. Not to diminish the scandal of the century, but if the ref tells the wrong player to shoot and the opposing coach doesn't catch it to review is it the player's fault? [1]

I remember two players intentionally pulling the switcheroo to put Travis Ford at the line when Pitino was at UK (he ended up suspending them for a game once it came out).

[1]: https://twitter.com/UKDeWaynePeevy/status/285450517512069120

Avinexus

UK put out a statement that the ref signaled for Alex to shoot the shots so he did. Not to diminish the scandal of the century, but if the ref tells the wrong player to shoot and the opposing coach doesn't catch it to review is it the player's fault? [1]

I remember two players intentionally pulling the switcheroo to put Travis Ford at the line when Pitino was at UK (he ended up suspending them for a game once it came out).

[1]: https://twitter.com/UKDeWaynePeevy/status/285450517512069120

Cal/UK haters will do anything to make them sound like cheaters. It was the officials fault, either they put the wrong guy on the line or credited the foul to the wrong player, simple as that. It's a joke that people are even whining about it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

chris121580

I saw the update from Peevy. It should be noted that information wasn't available at the time of my post and all anyone had to go on was the video itself. And with Cal....well it's easy to make assumptions

edit: In other news, B1G play starts tonight! IU has a good test at Iowa. I sure hope this trend of starting out slow in games ends tonight

TheNatural

My Member!
Lmao I saw that, can't believe he'd do something like that

Nothing should be that unbelievable with this guy. A few years ago he yelled "I'll kick your ass" to one of our players. John Chaney pretty much had this guy nailed down years ago. Too bad he got held back in that presser.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I saw the update from Peevy. It should be noted that information wasn't available at the time of my post and all anyone had to go on was the video itself. And with Cal....well it's easy to make assumptions

edit: In other news, B1G play starts tonight! IU has a good test at Iowa. I sure hope this trend of starting out slow in games ends tonight

I'd love to root against you guys to pick up a quick loss but I just can't root for Iowa. Good luck.

Also lets go Pitt!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That was close to being another foul on Appling. It was completely clean but often that gets called whether it's clean or not.

Damn. Missed most of the game as I was sleeping but saw the last 4 minutes and what I saw was great. State didn't score! Gophers win. Oh yeah!!!! I'll probably watch the replay anyhow already knowing the outcome to see what I missed.

Cal/UK haters will do anything to make them sound like cheaters. It was the officials fault, either they put the wrong guy on the line or credited the foul to the wrong player, simple as that. It's a joke that people are even whining about it.
I commented on other forums that the fiasco was entirely on the officials, not Cal. It was pretty obvious that it was a late whistle. Pothyress took the shots correctly (and whose to say Noel wouldn't have made one of his, anyway?), but Russ Smith was incorrectly credited for the foul that should have went to Montrezl Harrell. Am I going to blame UK for not wanting to speak up about it? Hell no.

Will I wonder why we had fouls falsely accredited to key players, multiple phantom fouls, and no calls on 5 and 8-second violations? Nope, won't wonder about that, either. It was a mixture of the extremely poor officiating (on both sides, of course...but we were getting boned worse) and Cal's successful imitation of Bob Huggins (lol).

And even then? That's not really that dirty, that's just a good coaching move - taking a big risk of getting T'd up while down miserably, and it paying off in the form of playing down to the wire. Cal even took credit for the point difference from his technical, even though it probably is the largest factor in having kept them in the game in the first place.

What people don't like about Cal is that he has a stain on his career - two vacated Final Four runs - and having a character like WWW associated isn't exactly what I would call clean. Nothing's been proven (if you don't count the fact that Eric Bledsoe wasn't NCAA eligible), and honestly the witch hunt is just a silly excursion that is too tiresome to be worthy of any fan's time.

Even if there are shady connections with WWW and handlers and Nike up the asshole, Joe Schmo isn't going to unlock the code through his DVR and a YouTube video...NC State fans basically proved for the umpteenth time that the NCAA is a joke when they basically ruined UNC's academic integrity by themselves. Waiting for UK to get nailed is the definition of futile...they're making them money.

...but it's entirely reasonable to acknowledge there may be shenanigans about Cal at UK. It's the same reservations of respect people (including many then UK fans) had for Cal at Memphis, having seen years of success come under scrutiny after a vacated Final Four at UMass. Can you honestly blame people for being just a tad skeptical of Cal's success?

All in all: this was how my night went - I was just happy to see my team break the streak. Aside from laughing at Cal's post-game conference, I had moved on towards focusing on conference play just like most other sensible fans. I also spent most of the rest of the night wishing that my uncle Jim could have seen this year.

Top Bottom