• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

DominoKid

if you're a fan of the sport itself, i don't see how you could hate the nba.

the quality of play in college basketball is like herpes in your eye.

if you're a fan of the sport itself, i don't see how you could hate the nba.

the quality of play in college basketball is like herpes in your eye.

Because the NBA has turned to garbage. Super star calls, non existent consistency in rules being called, travels, lack of defense, corrupt refs, etc.

I really cant stand to watch the NBA into deeper into the finals.

Talon

Because the NBA has turned to garbage. Super star calls, non existent consistency in rules being called, travels, lack of defense, corrupt refs, etc.

I really cant stand to watch the NBA into deeper into the finals.
See, the "lack of defense" that college basketball fans talk about is a function of the talent level in the NBA. In college, you have shit players taking up space on the floor, so you can scheme to exploit those guys more easily. In the NBA, you're facing Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, LeBron, etc. night after night...then you get the Wizards.

Wilbon had a nice bit on this at a Q&A he did back at school - you think a guy is wide open in the NBA, but the reality is that these guys in the NBA are so quick and long that they can close on you on a dime. His words, not mine, the worst player in the league (he used Scalabrine as an example) would score 30 or 40 in any given college game at will.

Now the officials...it's PAC-12/Big Ten level all night every night, that's true.

The horrendous postseason is what I hate most about the NBA.

More than half the league makes the playoffs, and all of the series are best of seven.

It's a fucking mess.

thefro

all of those things exist in college ball and are far worse. except travels. i'll give you that.

There was a period of time in the early 00s in the NBA when it was literally all teams clearing out and guys going 1 on 1. Luckily things have gotten better since then but a lot of college BB fans just quit watching the NBA completely during that period.

Talon

The horrendous postseason is what I hate most about the NBA.

More than half the league makes the playoffs, and all of the series are best of seven.

It's a fucking mess.
See, I love the NBA Playoffs and March Madness for different reasons.

The NBA Playoffs make you earn every single series win - there's no doubt at the end of a 7 game series which is the better team.

March Madness I love for the completely fluky aspects of it. I mean, nobody believes that UConn team was the best in the country, but Kemba just went off for a month. Shit's fun and random.

Piecake

See, the "lack of defense" that college basketball fans talk about is a function of the talent level in the NBA. In college, you have shit players taking up space on the floor, so you can scheme to exploit those guys more easily. In the NBA, you're facing Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, LeBron, etc. night after night...then you get the Wizards.

Wilbon had a nice bit on this at a Q&A he did back at school - you think a guy is wide open in the NBA, but the reality is that these guys in the NBA are so quick and long that they can close on you on a dime. His words, not mine, the worst player in the league (he used Scalabrine as an example) would score 30 or 40 in any given college game at will.

Now the officials...it's PAC-12/Big Ten level all night every night, that's true.

I think college still allowing hand-checking is probably a big deal. But yea, I dont buy the NBA doesnt play defense argument. Most teams and all good teams put a ton of effort into defense. Problem is is that offensive players are a whole lot better and the rules are against the defender in the NBA more than college

No way that Scala scores 30-40 a night though

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
We really struggle without Ryan Kelly, happened last year too (ACC tourney and Lehigh). I hope his leg injury is minor.

jakncoke

Banned
Georgetown doing nothing right atm and we actually look like a team(still giving away the ball left and right, i think we have 4 turnovers already)

edit; lol gtown

Slam Thompson strikes again

sam-thompson-slam.gif

guys doing it on a nightly basis now.

jakncoke

Banned
gtown 8 turnovers 5 fg

edit; half been pretty perfect. which means we'll complete suck in the 2nd

edit; down 19 to pitt at home. gtown going need a few drinks after tonight

edit3; nearly winning by 30 on the road. such a good win.

TheNatural

My Member!

I don't believe it's a function of talent. What does talent have to do with 4 guys standing around with a star player with the ball, and then either taking a jumper or passing it off to the side for a role player to takes an open mid range jumper that no one bothers to come out to guard? They don't close out, they don't even try.

The reason why that is, is because the regular season in the NBA is practically meaningless. An 82 game season is a hell of a lot more draining than a 30 game year. I think teams play defense, for the most part, come playoff time. You can't tell me though that the NBA regular season is some function of great effort.

I don't know how many times you can see the familiar sight any given weeknight of two random NBA teams playing, some lull in the second quarter, quiet crowd with tired "D-FENSE" or "CLAP CLAP CLAP" tunes replayed over and over with some star ball hogging, taking a jumping, or making a pass to an open guy with no one of defense bothering to move. Most teams don't give a fuck and are happy to win on star talent and athleticism, before giving a better effort on both ends come playoff time.

Yeah, I'd say the massive number of games is the real culprit. Most games simply don't matter. Even in college very few games are worth watching for anything but the most hardcore fans, but since there are so many teams and the schedules are short there tends to be at least one or two games worth primetime each week.

The NBA is great when the games matter and you aren't saving yourself to gruel out the rest of a season. And with back to backs it's even worse and you've got guys incentivized to not play hard to avoid injury.

DominoKid

Bomani Jones ‏@bomani_jones
ouch RT @tarheelblog: And we've reached the "players only meeting" stage of UNC's season.
Expand

this is just comical at this point. twice in 4 years? Roy has lost control.

DominoKid

the lynchpin!!!

it's not a shoe thing. i doubt they all wear the same shoe.
it's likely a problem w/ how your players train & recover.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Onto next year. At least there is spring football to look forward to. Got some important early enrollees this year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
we need a thenatural panic post

let me see.....

Cotdammit, I am sick of this injury bullshit hampering our chances to reign supreme over college basketball, but because K is soooo content to be Nike's bitch with their shitty 3rd world fabricated kicks, this will happen year after year. You haters laugh, but without Ryan, we can't stretch the defense, we can't create match up problems and we can't create any better looks for Plumlee, who has gone back to sucking dicks at the stripe and a timid bitch in the paint. We're just fucked, flat out fucked again. Why does god hate us? Why can't K retire? He's done. I surely can't wait to job to the Patriot league champ again. Awesome.

hows that?

Edit: There are enough legit panic posts on The Devils Den right now. For me, it depends on the length of the injury and how our bench adapts. Really it sucks more for Kelly, a senior, than Duke as a team. I hate it for him.

Fjordson

Damn, feel bad for ISU, they had that shit!

Good win for Louisville earlier, though they let Seton Hall hang around surprisingly long. Really fun team to watch, especially with Dieng back. Dude just keeps getting better and better.

Nesotenso

Jayhawks need to limit second chance points. Tharpe and Johnson need to play better. Still waiting for Johnson to play to his potential.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
And we done.

Onto next year. At least there is spring football to look forward to. Got some important early enrollees this year.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/289157584752107520

Looks like a break is ruled out (thankfully). And come on guys, it's not like we're going to implode.

I can never tell when people are serious anymore

the lynchpin!!!

it's not a shoe thing. i doubt they all wear the same shoe.
it's likely a problem w/ how your players train & recover.

Believe it or not, he ranks 3rd all-time in winning percentage for Duke players with a record of 105-13 (.890) for his career. We're also 39-1 whenever he scores in double figures. Not too shabby.

Also, I don't really buy the training & recovery argument. Most of those injuries were acute rather than stress-related. If they were all stress fractures that built up over time (like Seth's mystery leg problems, which I didn't mention for that reason), I'd agree with you. I don't actually believe it's the shoes either, though.

Piecake

Christ, 3 TOs for Elliason. Get that bum out of here

Still have no idea why they gave Paul 2 points when he got called for a charge

Top Bottom