• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Sounds like the Gophers are trying to take Paul out.
Not really malicious, just one of those brutally physical B1G games.

Illini looking in trouble at the moment. Abrams out with 2, can't stop Minny's big guys, can't get good shots.

e: and they keep giving up fast break dunks! Stop it!

alstein

I'm too old to watch these NCSU games -- can they comfortably beat anyone and spare my poor heart? Hope they can pull it out.

I know, I don't know what gets me saltier- fighting games or watching State fight through the usual shit State gets.

At least they'll be battle-hardened by March.

Minnesota is taking this one. Mbakwe is wrecking them
3/15 from 3, down by 4. I'm ok with this.

Game will be decided down the stretch. Missouri wore us down in a physical game, and our lack of depth caught up at the end. I'd guess Minny does the same, but who knows.

3/15 from 3, down by 4. I'm ok with this.

Game will be decided down the stretch. Missouri wore us down in a physical game, and our lack of depth caught up at the end. I'd guess Minny does the same, but who knows.

I'm feeling pretty good about picking up a win here. No way we shoot that poorly in the 2nd half. Right? :/

Piecake

I'm feeling pretty good about picking up a win here. No way we shoot that poorly in the 2nd half. Right? :/

Well, the reason why you are shooting so poorly is that you arent getting any open looks. Gophers are playing some awesome D right now

But yea, FTs are keeping you guys in it. You are making them and we arent.

Well, the reason why you are shooting so poorly is that you arent getting any open looks. Gophers are playing some awesome D right now

But yea, FTs are keeping you guys in it. You are making them and we arent.
I wouldn't say that. We've had a number of good looks rim out. But it is the nature of a physical game that the "easy" ones get tougher. Those fast break buckets are the difference right now. Unless the Illini can shut that down, they'll lose.

cashman

Banned
The halftime score for Texas vs West Virginia is 28-27 -- Oh wait, that was the football game's halftime score. The basketball game is 24-21.

I will say that our one shot in this game, despite the size problems, the foul trouble, etc, is that it's at home. A good Assembly Hall crowd could win us the game.

Unfortunately, too many people in the champaign area are still sore over the Weber years. Tonight's probably not even a sellout.

Crisco

Banned
Tonight was a good night. NC State won and UMD is now 0-2 against "real" (FSU and UK lol) teams. Bring on the short handed Devils!

Crowd needs to stay in it. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they could win Illinois the game.

And we probably aren't winning otherwise! We need that floor shaking when Minny brings up the ball, it makes it harder to dribble.
Again, I'm not exaggerating

Piecake

Well, with this win, I think the gophers should be considered the 3rd best team in team in the Big 10. Now if we can beat Indiana...

Well, with this win, I think the gophers should be considered the 3rd best team in team in the Big 10. Now if we can beat Indiana...
IMO, they already were. Even had Illinois won that would've been the case.

Probably not going to crack the top 2, though I'll obviously be rooting for you guys against IU.

TheNatural

My Member!
Cubsfan I don't panic, I call it like it is. Remember, you were the one calling for Pitino to retire last year, not me.

We're fine, I think we'll win the next two even without Behanan and we own Syracuse so when he gets back we'll be ready to kick their ass again. The only issue with the team is getting the B team up to the level of the starters. By the end of this year these guys will have aged like fine wine and will have some out of nowhere performances come March.

They were already at least second, so I'm surprised this big win drops them a spot.

Seriously, this Minny team is near perfect. They have final four written all over them.

Back from the bar. Minnesota kicked some serious butt. Caught the last 12 minutes of Michigan/Nebraska game. If Nebraska made any hustle plays in that game they win. Fucking most unathletic team ever. No ball awareness whatsoever. Michigan's offense is pretty erratic. Seemed like all they did was hoist 3's. Then I saw Illinois do the same thing X 10. Michigan didn't look so bad then.

If Joe Coleman, the weak link starter, scores 20 some odd points every game...give Minnesota the title now.

Eliason and Ingram were laughably bad in the short stints. Welch is a good backup in the backcourt. Those frontcourt backups were horrible tonight though. And fucking Rodney Williams make a fucking free throw.

Oh yeah and I guess Nebraska got the moral victory being within 20...right Brian Fellows?

Minnesota definitely looking very good tonight against Illinois. It'll be fun to watch the next two games to get a true measurement of where they stack up against the top competition in the B1G.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
pray your players don't show up mindfucked just by the name on the jerseys.

That tends to happen more when they play your boys than us. When NCSU plays Duke, they tend to come out pretty strong and either self destruct, get some bad calls that limit their effectiveness (last year) or, they win like in 2010. Every NCSU vs UNC game I've seen since 2007 was over 5 minutes into the 2nd half.

alstein

That tends to happen more when they play your boys than us. When NCSU plays Duke, they tend to come out pretty strong and either self destruct, get some bad calls that limit their effectiveness (last year) or, they win like in 2010. Every NCSU vs UNC game I've seen since 2007 was over 5 minutes into the 2nd half.

A lot of that self-destruction was because Herb and Sid were mentally weak coaches. I think that's out of their system now for the most part, though Leslie and Brown still have their moments. (I'm writing off the OSU game as early season stupidity/Leslie partying it up down there)

I'm not saying Gott's perfect, cause he's got his flaws also, but I don't think his teams are soft.

Crisco

Banned
Nah, if there has been one positive to our atrocious defensive lapses this season, it's that we've been put in a number of situations where guys had to execute under pressure. Granted, it shouldn't have happened against teams like UNC-A and BC, but the fact that we responded well to those situations has been encouraging. The key is bringing that intensity and focus for 40 minutes, which if we do, I genuinely believe Duke (sans Kelly) won't be able to hang with us on our home court.

TheNatural

My Member!
Tangent rant of the day: why the fuck won't anyone make an NCAA Basketball game anymore? Hopefully when next gen returns, they make a comeback, but wow. It's been what, 3 or 4 years now? And they never sold badly.

DominoKid

you'd think if they weren't selling bad then they'd still be making them...

i'd buy a college game if they played as well as NBA 2K but they were usually way too arcadey for my liking.

Tangent rant of the day: why the fuck won't anyone make an NCAA Basketball game anymore? Hopefully when next gen returns, they make a comeback, but wow. It's been what, 3 or 4 years now? And they never sold badly.

They never did sell great, 2k and March madness split the market too much and then neither thought it was worth the time for little return they got to the be the sole game out.

alstein

Nah, if there has been one positive to our atrocious defensive lapses this season, it's that we've been put in a number of situations where guys had to execute under pressure. Granted, it shouldn't have happened against teams like UNC-A and BC, but the fact that we responded well to those situations has been encouraging. The key is bringing that intensity and focus for 40 minutes, which if we do, I genuinely believe Duke (sans Kelly) won't be able to hang with us on our home court.

It's also hard to have defensive intensity when it's called a foul half the time, and when you don't have any depth. I don't want to see Lewis/Vandenburg/and a walk-on on the court during crunch time because 4 guys have fouled out. ACC refs are notoriously whistle-happy, especially when you're not one of their favorites.

Top Bottom