• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

DominoKid

Is Bobby Knight normally this terrible a commentator? Rece is having to explain the shot clock to him lol

i'm not watching it, but i'm betting he was wishing ill on kentucky.

Kentucky is going to be a 10 or 11 seed at best if not NIT. Team almost lost to a terrible Vandy team. I can't understand how scouts think Goodwin and Polythress will be good NBA players

Goodwin will, I'm pretty sure of that. Poythress...it depends on if he embraces the gifts his body has given him. The dude is a bull but he plays soft most of the time.

iamblades

Kentucky has no zone offense without Wiltjer, but with him in the game on defense, he gives up a layup on every damn pick and roll. Really frustrating last 13 mins.

Also i was rolling at Vandy's gimmicky shot clock coming back to bite them in the ass.

Put your shot clock where it belongs and you might get that call. :p

TheNatural

My Member!

Goodwin will, I'm pretty sure of that. Poythress...it depends on if he embraces the gifts his body has given him. The dude is a bull but he plays soft most of the time.

Whether they're traditional first round quality picks or not, they're pretty much going. Weak draft plus it being instilled in Calipari's players to go pro ASAP plus Calipari basically recruiting over the entire team every year, it would surprise me if anyone who could get drafted stays.

iamblades

Poythress just does not have a SF game yet, he does not know how to play the position at all. He is clearly an NBA level talent, but will he just end up another tweener PF in a SF body, or will be able to become a viable SF in the league?

I imagine the plan was for him to get more minutes at the 4 this year, where he looks more comfortable, but WCS being ahead of schedule threw that out the window.

Maybe not without Kelly. I don't know what to expect this weekend other than a Wolfpack win.

Maybe it is attending State during the fall from prominence (1989 - 1994) and the painful, painful two decades since talking, but I'm expecting 0-2 against Duke and 1-1 against UNC (yes, even this UNC) at best. Just too painful to get my hopes up.

One thing I miss about Sendek -- the man's teams could hit free throws. There's just no excuse for missing free throws.

Fjordson

Kentucky has no zone offense without Wiltjer, but with him in the game on defense, he gives up a layup on every damn pick and roll. Really frustrating last 13 mins.
Yep. We looked great in the first half against their man D, I love the lineup with Cauley-Stein and Noel out there, but the zone really tripped us up.

Wiltjer had a bad night on both ends really. Only saw him hit like one shot.

The weird thing about the "blown" shot clock violation was that Vandy's shot clocks only do whole seconds (so it's not clear whether 0 means 0.0 or just less than 1.0) and there isn't a red light around the backboard to indicate when the shot clock expires.

I thought the tenth of a second clocks and backboard light things were mandated these days by the NCAA. Is that not the case? Just noticed this on Wikipedia, but there's no citation:

The last five seconds of the shot clock will be modified to include tenths of a second in the 2012–13 NCAA basketball season, a year after its introduction in the NBA; this will allow players to see precisely how much time they have to shoot and will also allow officials to determine any last second shots easily.

Looking into the rules books just because I'm a nerd and find this interesting, not that it really matters:
When the shot clock indicates zeros but the shot-clock horn has not sounded, the shot-clock time has not expired.

Curious to get this defined:
Have the proper game-clock display, red/LED light and mounted shot clock as in Rules 1-18.3, 1-18.4 and 1-19.3.

Source: http://www.naia.org/fls/27900/1NAIA/resources/sid/Rule Books/BASKETR.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=27900

Fjordson

Interesting. One wonders why Vandy is intent on having a home floor be as gimmicky as possible :lol benches on the baseline, raised floor, and a different shot clock.

Crisco

Banned
Maybe it is attending State during the fall from prominence (1989 - 1994) and the painful, painful two decades since talking, but I'm expecting 0-2 against Duke and 1-1 against UNC (yes, even this UNC) at best. Just too painful to get my hopes up.

One thing I miss about Sendek -- the man's teams could hit free throws. There's just no excuse for missing free throws.

Sure Sendek's teams could hit free throws. The problem was they could never actually get to the line unless getting fouled while attempting a 3.

DominoKid

this amuses me. i foresee great potential in this gif.

iynCsXZR3nUrq.gif

thefro

BTN going all out for Indiana/Minnesota tomorrow, they're basically going to have their own version of Gameday live from Assembly Hall to rub ESPN's noses in it that they don't have the best game of the weekend.

The Gus Johnson/Jimmy Jackson team will be doing the call, which is a stellar team.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
BTN going all out for Indiana/Minnesota tomorrow, they're basically going to have their own version of Gameday live from Assembly Hall to rub ESPN's noses in it that they don't have the best game of the weekend.

The Gus Johnson/Jimmy Jackson team will be doing the call, which is a stellar team.

Johnson is about as overrated as they come.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Duke should blow NC apart.

lol. NCSU has played Duke very tough the past 3 or so years. They've had big leads at times and just self destructed, but never at one time where they scared of Duke. UNC is different for them.

if you guys aren't watching doug mcdermott right now, you're missing a treat

You mean the true basketball phenom from Ames Iowa? That Doug McDermott?

TheNatural

My Member!
BIG day of games today. If things shake out right, we could be a unanimous #1 team come Monday.

Currently watching Syracuse-Nova, and big news. James Southerland has been declared ineligible indefinitely, Syracuse second leading scorer. And this is a very ugly game.

jakncoke

Banned
Woodall out for the rest of the game with a concussion, is he ever NOT injured in one way or another?

Edit; Marquette 5-6 from 3 bastards

alstein

I wish State could play defense and rebound half as good as they are offensively. It's so aggravating.

Duke is a much more balanced team.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I wish State could play defense and rebound half as good as they are offensively. It's so aggravating.

Duke is a much more balanced team.

If you could play the rest of the conference the way you're playing us right now, you'd be a top 10 team. Don't succumb to Virginia Techitis

Piecake

Well, Indiana is a much better defense team than I realized. Also offensively more dangerous than Illinois since they seem to move the ball better, have a low post threat and pass better instead of just jack up 3s

Hopefully we can make it look like a less crappy loss in the second half

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm hoping for an NC State win because it would probably burnish Michigan's resume and elevate the team to number one in the country. Of course, Michigan's first loss probably isn't far off either.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Pleased with our bench guys but really disappointed with our D.

Top Bottom