• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
Louisville almost blew a huge ass lead to a team much worst than Minnesota a few weeks ago

We weren't ever up in the mid 20 digits though, and UK never really had a chance to tie, just shot out of their ass and had a couple bullshit calls to make it close.

W1SSY

What about the charge on Mbakwe where the guy made 1 of 2 FTs with 5 minutes left? Refs got that right too? I think you're an Indiana fan.

I am an Indiana fan and the block on Mbakwe could have been called either way. Watford went up at almost the same time as Mbakwe set his feet.

As I said the two point that the Minn. announcers though was a three had the referee right next to the guy when he shot it and he had a clear view. As soon as it went in he called it a two.

Good first half by Indiana but they played to keep the lead in the second and still have not developed the killer instinct that they need. Perea is a huge work in progress. Abell barely played in the game and when he did he was little to focused on driving and not playing point. The same thing can be said of Hollowell.

I cannot wait to see Michigan and Ohio State tomorrow.

Hollins gets calls on flops for 3-pointers that Duke players usually only get.

While some of the fouls were a little questionable, the fouls on the threes were pretty clear. It was all from Indiana's #4 who just jumps straight towards/into the shooter every single time and it got called every single time. Even if he thought it was a bad call, he was stupid enough to keep repeating the foul three more times in different instances, you have to be able to adjust at least a little to the refs when they are consistently calling you for that foul.

W1SSY

Almost 7 minutes into the game and Illinois has yet to score against Wisconsin.

Edit: Paul hits a free throw and is on the board.

thefro

While some of the fouls were a little questionable, the fouls on the threes were pretty clear. It was all from Indiana's #4 who just jumps straight towards/into the shooter every single time and it got called every single time. Even if he thought it was a bad call, he was stupid enough to keep repeating the foul three more times in different instances, you have to be able to adjust at least a little to the refs when they are consistently calling you for that foul.

The only legit one was the 3rd time it happened. I think the first time Hollins had already released the shot before he got grazed and the 2nd time Oladipo didn't even touch him.

You're right that Oladipo falls for the shot fake every time and should have adjusted to refs making bad calls. Of course, it's horrible officiating to call touch fouls after someone's released a shot as a "shooting foul, 3 shots" while the refs are letting both teams mug each other the rest of the game.

The only legit one was the 3rd time it happened. I think the first time Hollins had already released the shot before he got grazed and the 2nd time Oladipo didn't even touch him.

You're right that Oladipo falls for the shot fake every time and should have adjusted to refs making bad calls. Of course, it's horrible officiating to call touch fouls after someone's released a shot as a "shooting foul, 3 shots" while the refs are letting both teams mug each other the rest of the game.

Yeah, the refs definitely did a very poor job of handling the game consistently for the most part. They were calling those little touch fouls on spot up shots for both teams but at the same time allowing both teams to hook and clip during almost every transition as well as letting the big men fight it out under the basket with little to no calls.

I tend to like the refs to allow a slightly more physical game with less calls, especially for Big Ten play, but I respect they definitely need to make some calls to control the emotion and prevent just blatant hacks from happening. What I hate is when, like in this game, they're wildly inconsistent and let some things go but blow the whistle randomly for the strangest things.

Anyways, excited to see the rematch between these two teams at the Barn. Should be a rocking atmosphere and hope the refs are more consistent than they were today.

alstein

I really hate this line of thinking. Almost all college students rush the court in a big time matchup when they're the dog, I get sick of hearing people lecture every year about how it's "above" them to do so.

State wasn't really a dog in this game, at most 2 or 3, especially with Kelly being out. That said, State has been due to mismanagement a good while, things are turning around now though.

thefro

Anyways, excited to see the rematch between these two teams at the Barn. Should be a rocking atmosphere and hope the refs are more consistent than they were today.

Definitely agree... Indiana will have to play a lot better to win up there than the did in the 2nd half. I think both teams will be improved by then.

TheNatural

My Member!
State wasn't really a dog in this game, at most 2 or 3, especially with Kelly being out. That said, State has been due to mismanagement a good while, things are turning around now though.

Fans don't pay attention to Vegas on whether or not they're an underdog or not, they pay attention to rankings. Otherwise we would have a hell of a lot of 10 point unranked dogs storming the floor against other unranked teams.

NC State is one of three ACC teams to have 10+ ACC Tournament championships (Duke, UNC). They have 2 national championships. They were preseason selections to win the conference. And they were ranked.

Yes, it is absolutely beneath them to rush the court.

But forget those metrics. If you're a major conference member and you're not overcoming some unspeakable calamity, you never rush the court. Ever.

Crisco

Banned
So apparently the kid that got rolled out in the wheel chair was knocked over and CJ Leslie had to pick him up and carry him off the court.

alstein

NC State is one of three ACC teams to have 10+ ACC Tournament championships (Duke, UNC). They have 2 national championships. They were preseason selections to win the conference. And they were ranked.

But forget those metrics. If you're a major conference member and you're not overcoming some unspeakable calamity, you never rush the court. Ever.

The Lee Fowler era was an unspeakable calamity.

TheNatural

My Member!

Good advice. I bet you're blast to go to a game with.

Actually I think this was word for word the original proposal for the first arena suite.

DominoKid

Mr. Fun Police over here.

I don't see anything wrong w/ it. Hell i wouldnt mind if UNC did it but for all the old money people that would get trampled.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Congrats NCSU fans. I think we played well despite some tough stretches in the 1st half. Only concerned about Curry's health and Sheed's offense.

I only ask NCSU to please take care of the teams you should roll. No more near losses to BC and UNCW

TheNatural

My Member!
Mr. Fun Police over here.

I don't see anything wrong w/ it. Hell i wouldnt mind if UNC did it but for all the old money people that would get trampled.

LOL exactly. The only reason why schools like UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, etc haven't ever done it is because the students aren't near the court and 70 year old big money donors are there.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Fans don't pay attention to Vegas on whether or not they're an underdog or not, they pay attention to rankings. Otherwise we would have a hell of a lot of 10 point unranked dogs storming the floor against other unranked teams.

So where do you draw the line? Should a #5 team rush if they beat a #1 at home? How about a #10? Does a #20 rush if they beat a #15?

Also, there's a reason that the universities get fined whenever fans rush the court. You can have plenty of fun celebrating and going crazy without needing to rush the court (see: UNC's Franklin Street thing, Duke's bench-burning bonfires, Maryland's street riots and tear-gassings)

kidding about the last one

KingGondo

Banned
I hate OSU basketball. No pride or toughness anymore. And Ford was supposed to be an offensive guru, yet we can't muster points against a weakass OU team.

Ford has to go unless we have a fantastic run in conference play.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
NCSU beat Duke in 2010 so its not like its been years and years since they won a big game. However this one matters more.

In that respect I really don't mind if they want to rush. We rushed when Sean Dockery buzzered VT in 06. Yeah we rushed VT....in Basketball.

TheNatural

My Member!
So where do you draw the line? Should a #5 team rush if they beat a #1 at home? How about a #10? Does a #20 rush if they beat a #15?

Also, there's a reason that the universities get fined whenever fans rush the court. You can have plenty of fun celebrating and going crazy without needing to rush the court (see: UNC's Franklin Street thing, Duke's bench-burning bonfires, Maryland's street riots and tear-gassings)

kidding about the last one

Let the people decide in the moment. There's been more thought on if fans should rush the court in this thread page than anyone thinks about this shit at the game. Hell in Pitino's first year we were completely horrible, won 11 games the previous year, and went to the NIT that year even. We went to ECU and lost and they rushed the court. Who cares?

Really, if you were a college student and just upset the #1 team wherever you are, are you going to yell out "hey guys calm down and lets leave in an orderly fashion, we're better than this!"

It's lame. It's just a method of celebration, no different than going to a bar after the game and having some brew or yelling until your voice is gone. Why bitch about something that is a staple of college basketball? God knows there's not a hell of a lot of people keeping up with the sport like they are football. Complaining about one of the few alluring fan things in the sport is stupid.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Really, if you were a college student and just upset the #1 team wherever you are, are you going to yell out "hey guys calm down and lets leave in an orderly fashion, we're better than this!"

No, when I was at Duke, rushing the court never even crossed our minds, regardless of the win. *shrug* . There's never a "discusson" about leaving vs rushing lol. And we absolutely beat some top-5 teams in Cameron while I was there.

After a buzzer-beater it at least makes a little more sense, since that's pure emotion in the moment, rather than 5 minutes of waiting around watching the team finish out the game with a win. And to be clear, for the record, I think the VT court-rush was dumb.

It's lame. It's just a method of celebration, no different than going to a bar after the game and having some brew or yelling until your voice is gone. Why bitch about something that is a staple of college basketball? God knows there's not a hell of a lot of people keeping up with the sport like they are football. Complaining about one of the few alluring fan things in the sport is stupid.

It's not, though. Only in the past few years has it become so common. It was much, much rarer even only 10 years ago. And even in the past 2-3 years I've heard announcers and analysts bitch about it happening too often.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Illinois is getting raped by Wisky.

Mitch McGary might have 15 offensive against Illinois. Granted 5 of them will be off his own missed bunnies but still.........

Crisco

Banned
Paige gets abused on defense, doesn't hit shots, and doesn't run the offense well. Why the hell does he get so many minutes? I swear this Carolina team could be a contender if Roy only played the right guys. Ah well, hope he keeps it up!

TheNatural

My Member!
No, when I was at Duke, rushing the court never even crossed our minds, regardless of the win. *shrug* . There's never a "discusson" lol.

And we absolutely beat some top-5 teams in Cameron while I was there.

It's not, though. Only in the past few years has it become so common. It was much, much rarer even only 10 years ago.

Times change, and I don't see any problem with it. One of my favorite things in college basketball is seeing really small schools in small conferences winning their conference title at home, either in their conference tournament or regular season, and rushing the floor.

Yeah I could be a buzzkill and say "oh gee, you're rushing the floor to just go get killed by 30 in the tourney" or something, but it's fun to me to see that kind of spontaneous excitement in college basketball and I don't see anything wrong with it. It happens more often, but it's not like it's every game every week. It's usually when #1 get knocked off somewhere. And as usual, it's the losing team's fan that always bitches about it AFTER the game, never fails.

DominoKid

Paige gets abused on defense, doesn't hit shots, and doesn't run the offense well. Why the hell does he get so many minutes? I swear this Carolina team could be a contender if Roy only played the right guys. Ah well, hope he keeps it up!

eh...i'd rather let him take his lumps and develop. were not doing anything this year so Strickland at point is basically a waste since he's gone. The problem is they should never BOTH be on the court.

Paige looks like a kid out there lol

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Times change, and I don't see any problem with it. One of my favorite things in college basketball is seeing really small schools in small conferences winning their conference title at home, either in their conference tournament or regular season, and rushing the floor.

Yeah I could be a buzzkill and say "oh gee, you're rushing the floor to just go get killed by 30 in the tourney" or something, but it's fun to me to see that kind of spontaneous excitement in college basketball and I don't see anything wrong with it. It happens more often, but it's not like it's every game every week. It's usually when #1 get knocked off somewhere. And as usual, it's the losing team's fan that always bitches about it AFTER the game, never fails.

Like I said before, I agree with Coach K's thoughts. You only rush the court if you win a championship/title (I also think it's fine if you're an unranked/no-name upsetting a high-ranked team). So I don't see anything wrong with the scenario you described.

You can blame me bitching about it on the fact that we lost if you want. However, I've bitched about it in these threads before over the years, even when I had nothing to do with the winning and losing teams. Doesn't change my stance on it.

Coach K, the arbiter of class.

Not sure how that's relevant, just saying I agree with him on that point.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, I would just hope the trial by fire doesn't ruin his confidence ala Harrow. I like the fight UNC is showing in this game, let's see if they can close one out.

alstein

Congrats NCSU fans. I think we played well despite some tough stretches in the 1st half. Only concerned about Curry's health and Sheed's offense.

I only ask NCSU to please take care of the teams you should roll. No more near losses to BC and UNCW

It was Asheville, who always plays tough.

Yeah, hope Curry is ok, though he was back on the bench so I think he's just banged up.

You guys played well- feel like State won this game by playing to their full potential (minus the rebounding), you'll get a crack back at us in Durham which will be tough.

I think you guys will end up 17-1 or 16-2 in the ACC when it's done.

TheNatural

My Member!
Like I said before, I agree with Coach K's thoughts. You only rush the court if you win a championship/title (I also think it's fine if you're an unranked/no-name upsetting a high-ranked team). So I don't see anything wrong with the scenario you described.

You can blame me bitching about it on the fact that we lost if you want. However, I've bitched about it in these threads before over the years, even when I had nothing to do with the winning and losing teams. Doesn't change my stance on it.

Get over it. Fans can celebrate however they want, as long they don't do something to get arrested, and people don't think about it near as much as you do when they're actually at the game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
As long as the fans don't spit, curse or throw shit at the opposing team (aka be UMD fans) I don't care what they do.

TheNatural

My Member!
As long as the fans don't spit, curse or throw shit at the opposing team (aka be UMD fans) I don't care what they do.

Sounds like West Virginia fans.

In other random news, I've had Auburn and South Carolina on TV for some reason. I find SEC basketball 20 times more entertaining than SEC football, even though the teams are horrible. Auburn has a chance to go 2-0 in the SEC for the first time in like 10 years. Gotta love nobody program factoids.

Talon

Sounds like West Virginia fans.

In other random news, I've had Auburn and South Carolina on TV for some reason. I find SEC basketball 20 times more entertaining than SEC football, even though the teams are horrible. Auburn has a chance to go 2-0 in the SEC for the first time in like 10 years. Gotta love nobody program factoids.
Well, you are a Big East football fan.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Get over it. Fans can celebrate however they want, as long they don't do something to get arrested, and people don't think about it near as much as you do when they're actually at the game.

If they can celebrate how they want, then why do the conferences fine the schools thousands of dollars when it happens?

Anyway, this is just going in circles. I'll just agree to disagree and move on.

Looks like UNC is starting to wake up.

iamblades

No, when I was at Duke, rushing the court never even crossed our minds, regardless of the win. *shrug* . There's never a "discusson" about leaving vs rushing lol. And we absolutely beat some top-5 teams in Cameron while I was there.

After a buzzer-beater it at least makes a little more sense, since that's pure emotion in the moment, rather than 5 minutes of waiting around watching the team finish out the game with a win. And to be clear, for the record, I think the VT court-rush was dumb.

It's not, though. Only in the past few years has it become so common. It was much, much rarer even only 10 years ago. And even in the past 2-3 years I've heard announcers and analysts bitch about it happening too often.

^^ Court rushing is stupid, it's just you admitting you aren't as good as the team you beat. It's an instant DQ for being considered an elite program IMO. Same thing with overrated chants and stuff.

NC state is an edge case. On the one hand, Duke is clearly a more successful program, on the other, NC state is always complaining about not being considered an equal with UNC and Duke.

The Indiana court rushing was an all time pathetic display though. Programs with 5 titles shouldn't be rushing the court against anyone. Although a couple years ago they stormed the court after a win against fucking unranked Minnesota of all teams. That's just embarrassing.

TheNatural

My Member!
Well, you are a Big East football fan.

Usually so, but the offense has sucked as much as the defense the past few years, but it was entertaining before UCONN came along and shit up things for good.

If they can celebrate how they want, then why do the conferences fine the schools thousands of dollars when it happens?

Safety concerns, which I don't think are all that great. More people have been hurt in a year of Black Friday tramplings than the history of running courts or fields, and they haven't done anything about those. Give the people what they want, and we'll just agree to disagree.

Time for some USF payback. Go Cards.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
^^ Court rushing is stupid, it's just you admitting you aren't as good as the team you beat. It's an instant DQ for being considered an elite program IMO. Same thing with overrated chants and stuff.

NC state is an edge case. On the one hand, Duke is clearly a more successful program, on the other, NC state is always complaining about not being considered an equal with UNC and Duke.

The Indiana court rushing was an all time pathetic display though. Programs with 5 titles shouldn't be rushing the court against anyone. Although a couple years ago they stormed the court after a win against fucking unranked Minnesota of all teams. That's just embarrassing.

But IU had been a non factor for almost a decade and their rivalry vs your Cats was pretty one sided. Nobody knew they were top 25 caliber until that win.

alstein

Well, after next year they're gone- good riddance. That's one thing we can agree on.

Maybe that's why in that Clemson study folks tried to run over turtles on purpose- reminded them of Maryland.

Top Bottom