• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
Fuck yeah, should be #1 for the second time in school history tomorrow.

If we make it through this week, much deserved. At UCONN, who will be in the top 25, and Syracuse - which should be #4 in the country on Saturday.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
K is now saying that Kelly's injury is "long-term" and they're "hopeful he will return at some time".

Sounds like he might miss the rest of the season.

I think we're still top 15 without him, but our Final Four chances plummet if he doesn't come back.

TheNatural

My Member!
#1 baby! Tough game tonight in Hartford to see if we can keep it. Then the Orange on Saturday.

1. Louisville (36);15-1;1,591;3

2. Indiana (13);15-1;1,527;5

3. Duke (14);15-1;1,501;1

4. Kansas (1);14-1;1,416;6

5. Michigan (1);16-1;1,415;2

6. Syracuse;16-1;1,284;7

7. Arizona;15-1;1,205;4

8. Gonzaga;16-1;1,141;9

9. Minnesota;15-2;1,041;8

10. Florida;12-2;1,019;11

11. Ohio St.;13-3;939;15

12. Creighton;16-1;896;13

13. Butler;14-2;855;14

14. NC State;14-2;836;20

15. San Diego St.;14-2;704;16

16. Kansas St.;13-2;670;18

17. Missouri;12-3;598;10

18. Michigan St.;14-3;426;22

19. New Mexico;15-2;368;25

20. Notre Dame;14-2;295;17

21. Oregon;14-2;238;—

22. VCU;14-3;212;—

23. Illinois;14-4;199;12

24. UCLA;14-3;185;—

25. Marquette;12-3;177;—

Others receiving votes: Cincinnati 121, UConn 70, Georgetown 56, Mississippi 55, UNLV 26, Wisconsin 25, Boise St. 9, Miami 9, Wichita St. 6, Temple 5, Pittsburgh 2, Baylor 1, Utah St. 1, Wyoming 1.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
K is now saying that Kelly's injury is "long-term" and they're "hopeful he will return at some time".

Sounds like he might miss the rest of the season.

I think we're still top 15 without him, but our Final Four chances plummet if he doesn't come back.

yeesh. Curry on the other hand, is expected to play Thursday. He has a minor sprain. I'm guessing Kelly had a severe stress reaction sort of thing. If he does come back, he should be easier to re-integrate into the team than Irving was. It also helps that his parents won't be telling Duke to keep him out until the tourney.

Crisco

Banned
NC State up to 14/15 in the AP/Coaches poll. About what I expected. After being overrated early I still think we are underrated due to those early losses. Our only real issue is depth. I'd take our top 6 over any in the nation.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
yeesh. Curry on the other hand, is expected to play Thursday. He has a minor sprain. I'm guessing Kelly had a severe stress reaction sort of thing. If he does come back, he should be easier to re-integrate into the team than Irving was. It also helps that his parents won't be telling Duke to keep him out until the tourney.

IF Ryan comes back, he definitely won't be tough to re-integrate. When we lost Kyrie, we lost our PG (much tougher position to replace), and Nolan basically redefined himself as this scoring combo super-guard, changing our chemistry entirely. Early in that season, Kyrie-Mason had a great dynamic and Nolan didn't need to dominate the ball much.

I don't think K will make any drastic changes to our gameplan and chemistry without Ryan. He just needs the bench guys to step up and fill that slot, rather than having guys redefine their roles entirely.

Crisco

Banned
You guys didn't look bad at all without Ryan. You lose some 3 point shooting but gain rebounding and interior scoring. Having to guard CJ Leslie in your first game getting serious minutes was a real trial by fire for Jefferson. He'll improve defensively and I don't see a huge drop off for Duke without Kelly.

Fjordson

U of L is looking really strong right now. Should be a good game tonight against UConn.

Is Behanan back? Last game I watched he wasn't playing.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You guys didn't look bad at all without Ryan. You lose some 3 point shooting but gain rebounding and interior scoring. Having to guard CJ Leslie in your first game getting serious minutes was a real trial by fire for Jefferson. He'll improve defensively and I don't see a huge drop off for Duke without Kelly.

i know Kelly looks like a schlub, but he's been one of our better defenders. His height and shooting ability allow us to really stretch the floor and create mismatches. Not so much with NCSU because of Leslie, but other teams where the PF is only 6-7, 6-8.
The good news is Jefferson and Murph will get some PT. If Kelly does come back, we might have a decent bench!

Marleyman

Banned

I feel the same way. I wanted to see Marshall Plumlee get more minutes but Hairston, Jefferson did about as well as they could have. Perimeter shooting has to pick up though; Curry can't do it alone. I cringe when Thornton shoots 3 balls.

Duke fan here btw.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

You'd be surprised how good Ryan's defense is (and how much he improves our team defense with his talking, spacing + help, etc). You can't really estimate his impact by looking at his season averages and box scores. Additionally, as truly mentioned, his shooting spreads out the floor and brings another opposing big out to the perimeter to guard him, giving Mason a lot more room to work, so I actually think our interior scoring will ultimately stay the same or maybe dip a bit with him out, despite his replacements being interior guys.

Jefferson showed a lot of potential, and if he can continue to improve then I think you're right, the drop off won't be nearly as bad for us as we initially anticipated.

I feel the same way. I wanted to see Marshall Plumlee get more minutes but Hairston, Jefferson did about as well as they could have. Perimeter shooting has to pick up though; Curry can't do it alone. I cringe when Thornton shoots 3 balls.

Duke fan here btw.

Sheed needs to pull out of his slump, and I think we'll be OK with our 3-pt shooting. I don't mind when Tyler shoots corner threes, he's been solid and hitting those this year for us when he's open.

Marleyman

Banned
Sheed needs to pull out of his slump, and I think we'll be OK with our 3-pt shooting. I don't mind when Tyler shoots corner threes, he's been solid and hitting those this year for us when he's open.

Yep; they definitely need him to snap out of it. Without Kelly we are limited on the perimeter, and that is going to hurt us down the stretch. I don't mind Tyler shooting when he is making them; he just doesn't make them enough for me to be OK with it.

Crisco

Banned
I spent a year working for Duke back during the 2010/11 season and watched a few games at bars in Durham. I guess I'm still jaded on Ryan Kelly after listening to all the Duke fans around me cursing his name and proclaiming him the biggest bust since Shavlik Randolph. Hard to believe he's morphed into Bill Walton and Dirk Nowitski's love child in those 2 years :)

alstein

He's a very useful piece, though I don't think he would have helped that much against State due to the matchup. State isn't a perimeter team, the only guy you have to really worry about is Wood. Purvis takes forever to set up his jumper, Brown is poor outside, and Leslie's jump shot is non-existent (and why he'll get eaten up in the NBA, I think of State's current roster, Howell and Purvis have the best shot of long NBA careers)

Crisco

Banned
I think you're underrating Leslie. He's had some of his best games scoring over 7 footers that will play in the NBA. Zeller, Withey, Len, and now Plumlee. Yeah, a jumper would be nice but the kid knows how to score against bigger defenders. If he could put on a little muscle and learn to box out, he could easily average a dub dub in the league.

As far who has the best NBA potential on our current roster, that would be TJ Warren. He's got NBA size with the offensive skill set to match. He's basically a textbook 3 at the next level. Everyone else would be considered a "tweener".

alstein

I think you're underrating Leslie. He's had some of his best games scoring over 7 footers that will play in the NBA. Zeller, Withey, Len, and now Plumlee. Yeah, a jumper would be nice but the kid knows how to score against bigger defenders. If he could put on a little muscle and learn to box out, he could easily average a dub dub in the league.

As far who has the best NBA potential on our current roster, that would be TJ Warren. He's got NBA size with the offensive skill set to match. He's basically a textbook 3 at the next level. Everyone else would be considered a "tweener".

I just remember that game against Kansas last year where that 7 foot goof had 10 blocked shots. I haven't seen anything about State this year that makes me think they've come up with an answer to that.

Amory

Really hoping the Huskies pull off the upset. Games like this are all we got this year.

And also because fuck Louisville.

Edit: also how the hell did we get left out of the rankings this week?

I spent a year working for Duke back during the 2010/11 season and watched a few games at bars in Durham. I guess I'm still jaded on Ryan Kelly after listening to all the Duke fans around me cursing his name and proclaiming him the biggest bust since Shavlik Randolph. Hard to believe he's morphed into Bill Walton and Dirk Nowitski's love child in those 2 years :)

Ryan was never as hyped as Shavlik, and has never underperformed expectations like Shavlik. Yes, he has grown into his role over his career, but he's shown progress each year, but particularly the past 2. Those Duke fans had no perspective at all.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
What did Uconn do to get on probation. Their coach just said "they can ban us form the tournament, but they can't ban us from heart."

Also this is a lame "Big" Monday with a whopping two games.

Ryan was never as hyped as Shavlik, and has never underperformed expectations like Shavlik. Yes, he has grown into his role over his career, but he's shown progress each year, but particularly the past 2. Those Duke fans had no perspective at all.

No, it's because that clearly worked out for Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek.

:)

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
What did Uconn do to get on probation. Their coach just said "they can ban us form the tournament, but they can't ban us from heart."

Also this is a lame "Big" Monday with a whopping two games.

Using an agent to recruit? Also, I don't believe any of their players ever attended a single class while Calhoun was coach.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
We got a ranking vote in one poll! Woo. :p

EDIT: KU has to come to Ames at the end of the season, maybe the Hilton Magic will help us win in regulation this time.

Wellscha

KU is sorely missing dominating power forward. Withey isn't cutting it.

I hope Ben is alright. He looked to be in deep pain.

We got a ranking vote in one poll! Woo. :p

EDIT: KU has to come to Ames at the end of the season, maybe the Hilton Magic will help us win in regulation this time.

I expect KU to lose at most 2 games, one of tem it's going to be ISU.

jayhawker

KU is sorely missing dominating power forward. Withey isn't cutting it.

I hope Ben is alright. He looked to be in deep pain.

I expect KU to lose at most 2 games, one of tem it's going to be ISU.

Self will adjust. We played terrible perimeter D. I think we'll see some form of a zone defense in Ames. Even if they shoot over the top of it, that's better than having them shoot wide open 3 at the line. Withey just can't guard a perimeter player.

I just hope McLemore is okay. I have a nasty headache from when he went down.

Edit: Self says it's an ankle sprain, not a knee issue. That's good. He thinks he'll be back soon. Also good. Ben thinks he heard a pop. Not good.

Top Bottom