• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Duke shouldn't be no#1 in any poll, not with Miami right behind. That ass kicking wasn't that long ago and I haven't seen anything to suggest we're much improved.

DominoKid

zqQLl.gif

i've thought a lot of things about Roy, but i've never thought he was a liar until this season. something's going on behind the scenes.

Iverson said it best. "We talkin about practice."

edit: and even if it is about practice, i can't imagine PJ not busting WHOEVER they put against him. i just cant. dex couldn't guard his man in a phonebooth

Slizz

Highest ranking for the Canes in bball history. I think we are built for a deep run. In fact I hope we lose a game before the ACC tourney to bring us back to Earth then re-focus.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
i've thought a lot of things about Roy, but i've never thought he was a liar until this season. something's going on behind the scenes.

Iverson said it best. "We talkin about practice."

edit: and even if it is about practice, i can't imagine PJ not busting WHOEVER they put against him. i just cant. dex couldn't guard his man in a phonebooth

I'll give you that. Hairston looks like he hates losing. I can't imagine why you wouldn't want him on the floor as muc as possible. Isn't he your leading scorer too?

DominoKid

per minute he's our best scorer, im pretty sure. one of our better defenders, better than dex. hustles hard. one of the best in the country. roy need to just let him unleash.

Bowser

The nation’s top player Andrew Wiggins took an official visit to Florida State in early December and now he’s closing in on visiting three other schools.

“Dates are tentatively set for UK, Kansas and UNC,” Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford said. “Waiting on confirmation from parents that they can go on those dates.”

The tentative dates for the official visits are Kentucky on Feb. 27, Kansas on March 3 and North Carolina on March 9.

On March 9, the Tar Heels host Duke in their regular season finale.

"Nothing is confirmed until parents confirm," Fulford said.

According to Fulford, Ohio State and Syracuse are out of the equation, which puts Wiggins down to four schools.

CIny8.gif

Fjordson

Wiggins and Randle to UK. Number one recruits at all five positions!

Edit: just realized he'll get to see the Dukies dominate UNC. Nice boost for FSU and UK.

If Duke loses this week at Cameron I could be looking stupid here :lol

Fjordson

Haha, true. Honestly, I don't think Wiggins goes to UK. We already have a nice class, I just can't imagine Calipari getting him also.

Bowser

2/27 UK vs Miss St
3/3 KU open date (hmm)
3/9 UNC vs Dook

Man, I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really like the way the scheduling has shaken out. Last OV, last impression, one game of the year when the Dean Dome is actually rocking, if we pull off the upset at home the atmosphere will be insane

Fjordson

Yeah, the UK date isn't anything special. Ole Miss has revealed in recent weeks how overrated they were with their earlier top 15 ranking.

Duke and UNC = always a big game.

Unrelated, but I just remembered we play Florida today in Gainesville. This is going to be a tough game. And Vegas has us as 10 point dogs at the moment. Ouch.

Pollux

I just saw that. Woo!

Now let's hope it doesn't jinx us against the Gatas tomorrow.

I certainly hope not. But I think we're as hot as any team in the country right now. Noel has finally started putting together on both ends of the court (especially defense...god damn), WCS is back and seems to be getting his shit together, Goodwin has started passing (about fucking time), Harrow is hitting shots and playing smarter - to just mention a couple guys.

I think we have as good a shot as any. Honestly, it could go either way.

edit: I've been away from this thread all season, everyone has changed avatars and it's confusing the hell out of me. Not to mention that I even changed names...oh well.

Seth C

I certainly hope not. But I think we're as hot as any team in the country right now. Noel has finally started putting together on both ends of the court (especially defense...god damn), WCS is back and seems to be getting his shit together, Goodwin has started passing (about fucking time), Harrow is hitting shots and playing smarter - to just mention a couple guys.

edit: I've been away from this thread all season, everyone has changed avatars and it's confusing the hell out of me. Not to mention that I even changed names...oh well.

We've still not beaten a single good team. We just struggled a bit beating Auburn, with an RPI of 205. The last two teams we've played have an RPI over 200. We only have four wins all season over teams that even have double digit RPI rankings (that's just sad). Our best win is against Mississippi, another team with only one decent win (against Missouri, who will probably end the regular season with 10 losses) and a team with 14 of 18 wins coming against teams with an RPI over 100. Fool's gold. If we win at Florida tonight it will be a miracle. They already have 5 wins against teams that are as good or better than we are, and only one team they absolutely should have beat has upset them. Against us they will be ready to play, and they are better than we are. They've absolutely proven as much.

Fjordson

Yeah, definitely think we have a shot. Especially with Noel and WCS playing as well as they are. Our interior defense and rebounding has totally come around since the first few games. Even offensively they've both had some nice games. And then Wiltjer and Mays who are shooting the ball really well lately.

The one thing I worry about is Harrow and Archie matching their guards. Boyton, Wilbekin, and Rosario are all quality players. Just hope we can keep them from going off shooting the three and take care of the ball.

Pollux

We've still not beaten a single good team.
But we came close when we were shit and now we've gotten everything put together. Let me hope, man!
Yeah, definitely think we have a shot. Especially with Noel and WCS playing as well as they are. Our interior defense and rebounding has totally come around since the first few games. Even offensively they've both had some nice games. And then Wiltjer and Mays who are shooting the ball really well lately.

The one thing I worry about is Harrow and Archie matching their guards. Boyton, Wilbekin, and Rosario are all quality players. Just hope we can keep them from going off shooting the three and take care of the ball.
True, but I think with Wiltjer and Mays if this thing gets into a up and down shooting contest we could be just fine.

edit: not to mention Yuguete is out.

Bowser

Lunardi has UNC one spot above a play in game. The NCAA should put them in Dayton to spice up the first four.

Honestly at this point, I don't see us making the tournament. The only win we have vs a likely tournament team is UNLV. We have gotten blown out by any talented team we've faced (Butler, Indiana, Miami, NC State), hell blown out by shitty teams like Texas. Our margin for error is razor thin. Because we have no marquee wins, we can't afford slip ups at home against the likes of UVa and FSU or on the road @GT and @Clemson. We only have 3 more chances at a marquee, tournament-bid boosting win (@Duke, vs NCSU (borderline bubble team themselves), vs Duke). If we can't get any of those, it'll likely take a spectacular run in the ACC tournament to at least the final.

I'm feeling NIT for the 2nd time in 4 years, unfortunately.

Vyrance

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Newest Bracketology referenced earlier, Ill take OSUs spot there, seems like an easy path to the final 4.

I like that bracket for Miami. We get two of the teams we lost to earlier in the year in Arizona and FGU. Would love to have Indiana State in there too to complete it. I do think the West is the easiest bracket though.

Sucks for Michigan in this scenario, drawing Florida and Kansas.

Pollux

How pissed would Indiana be to get Kentucky in the second* round?

*using a zero based index as i refuse to call the play in games the first round
I'm actually hoping for it.

And on GAF I think we should have the rule that play in games are play in games no matter what smoke ESPN tries to blow up our ass. Whoever makes the March Madness thread should include that in the title or OP

Joel James is out for the Duke-UNC game.

But I love this quote from Ol Roy:

“We found out basically just yesterday that evidently Joel took a blow to the head in the Wake Forest game, and has been having pretty severe headaches,’’ Williams said. “And they did some tests and found out that -- I think I’ll say this right -- that he’s concussed. That means that he’s had a concussion. So he did not practice yesterday, he will not practice today nor play tomorrow.”

Thanks, Dr. Huckleberry!

Fjordson

So...defensive strategy right now for UK = give up wide open 3's. Working well so far =[

the one where Archie and Harrow both went under the screen and double teamed leaving the ball handler wide open was especially bad.

Seth C

But we came close when we were shit and now we've gotten everything put together. Let me hope, man!

True, but I think with Wiltjer and Mays if this thing gets into a up and down shooting contest we could be just fine.

edit: not to mention Yuguete is out.

Like I tried to tell you. We haven't put anything together. Every other team has become better. We are the same mediocre team we always were, by comparison.

iamblades

Like I tried to tell you. We haven't put anything together. Every other team has become better. We are the same mediocre team we always were, by comparison.

The fact that Noel wasn't in for half of the first makes it look way worse than it is. Until he went out things were close enough, considering the turnover issues. When he went out the defense turned to absolute shit.

Seth C

The fact that Noel wasn't in for half of the first makes it look way worse than it is. Until he went out things were close enough, considering the turnover issues. When he went out the defense turned to absolute shit.
Eh. Outside the first few minutes we haven't been in this game. We were never winning. We just may have only lost by 10 or so.

Fjordson

I still think UK is improving, but some guys are lagging behind a bit. Goodwin's decision making when he penetrates is really suspect and Harrow wilts under intense pressure some games.

Not every player is going to come flying out the gate as a freshman so I hesitate to get on Goodwin too much, but Harrow was with our championship team last year. Really wish more of Marquis Teague had rubbed off on him.

Shaky guard play is a killer in college.

Seth C

Improving? Sure. Improving at a pace that keeps up with most teams in the Top 30? Nah. Everyone is improving. We have to improve more than others. We haven't. Really we haven't win against a single team that is good. All season. The last few games were fool's gold and we still only beat one decent team; even they were vastly overrated.

Fjordson

True about Ole Miss, no way they're a top 15 team.

It's all about the guards I think. Wiltjer, WCS, and Noel are all playing well. Harrow and Goodwin have to come around if we're going to do anything in March.

Edit: holy fuck, Noel...this could be a disaster...

Top Bottom