• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
Jon Hood and Sam Malone both tore their ACL last year and no one cared. This is totally different. This is a kid who played hard all year and was on his way to breaking some records and was a few months away from being the #1 pick in the NBA draft and now it's all uncertain at best.

Hyperbole much? I don't like to see people get hurt, but the guy is going to have the best medical care and rehab, along with free housing, food,and education as long as he wants to stay at total worst case.

And most likely, like almost all athletes these days, will have a good 95% shot or more of total recovery and will be making more next year than any of us will our entire lives.

Excuse me if I'm not ready to turn any athlete into little Timmy over an injury. Sucks it happened, but these guys still have a better present and future than 99.99999999999% of the world.

Hyperbole much? I don't like to see people get hurt, but the guy is going to have the best medical care and rehab, along with free housing, food,and education as long as he wants to stay at total worst case.

And most likely, like almost all athletes these days, will have a good 95% shot or more of total recovery and will be making more next year than any of us will our entire lives.

Excuse me if I'm not ready to turn any athlete into little Timmy over an injury. Sucks it happened, but these guys still have a better present and future than 99.99999999999% of the world.

He might come out of this unaffected and I hope he does. But there are enough examples of people who don't that it's a big deal until we know more.

I mean, Michael Bush is one example that should hit close to home for UofL. I still get depressed thinking about that, even if we ended up winning the game.

With the way rookie contracts work, just dropping from #1 to #2 is something like a half a million dollars difference in each year.

alstein

He might come out of this unaffected and I hope he does. But there are enough examples of people who don't that it's a big deal until we know more.

I mean, Michael Bush is one example that should hit close to home for UofL. I still get depressed thinking about that, even if we ended up winning the game.

With the way rookie contracts work, just dropping from #1 to #2 is something like a half a million dollars difference in each year.

He can always wait a year and try again next year- it's not the end of the world if you can't be one and done. Plenty of guys need some time in college anyways.

ACL injury+ being young= recovery by November/December?- That's enough time to get 20 games in. I just hope he was hitting the books so he's eligible next year, and this isn't career-ending.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
That sucks about Nerlens. Got to respect a kid who didn't give up on the play and got hurt because of it.

anyway ITS ON HOLES!

mcadoo.jpg

Honestly though, I'm not that impressed with us and if Huckleberry plays Hairston for more than 15 minutes and they get hot from outside, they can win this.

Bowser

All I can hope for is a good game tonight. Strange shit happens in rivalry games. We get smashed in our high profile road games, just once this year I'd like for it to be competitive.

W1SSY

I really hope Indiana blows Nebraska out tonight. We have a history of letting worse teams play close but after losing to them last year hopefully we don't overlook the Huskers.

Bowser

just noticed that the thread got moved here. Is there a post limit which leads threads to move here ?

Seems like they move all season-long sports threads over to Community. Only big events (Super Bowl, March Madness, etc.) seem to be allowed in regular OT now.

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz
Kentucky announces Nerlens Noel suffered a torn ACL and is out for the season. Surgery in two to three weeks.

and theres that.

Seth C

"Nerlens Noel has been ruled out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL in his left knee, which he suffered in Tuesday night's game against Florida. According to the UK medical staff, surgery should be expected in the next two to three weeks. The normal timetable for recovery is estimated at six to eight months." -- CoachCal.com staff

If our season wasn't already in the shitter it certainly is now. Good luck to you, Nerlens, for a speedy recovery.

Nesotenso

"Nerlens Noel has been ruled out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL in his left knee, which he suffered in Tuesday night's game against Florida. According to the UK medical staff, surgery should be expected in the next two to three weeks. The normal timetable for recovery is estimated at six to eight months." -- CoachCal.com staff

If our season wasn't already in the shitter it certainly is now. Good luck to you, Nerlens, for a speedy recovery.

When is the draft ?

TheNatural

My Member!
Bad for Noel, but great for UK, because he's going to skip the draft now and come back.

Wiggins will get Worldwided to UK, and they'll go 40-0 next year.

Crisco

Banned
Eh, he's still coming out this year. Weak draft, especially at PF/C. I'll take a potentially crippled Noel over say, Mason Plumlee. Next year would be much worse for him, especially if he doesn't come back 100%.

DominoKid

No chance he's coming back.

sn: now that i've thought about it the community switch will be great for this thread. i think it'll get a lot more attention now.

DominoKid

at least in Community were always on the first page.

VVV not a fan of that move for him but we'll see. i'd rather he go national nba. like espn or tnt.

Nesotenso

College basketball fans and soccer fans, Gus Johnson is calling the Real Madrid and Man United UEFA champions league game this afternoon. Fox is grooming him as a soccer announcer with a eye towards the 2018 World Cup.

alstein

Hope Noel recovers and can come back next year.

Hope Kentucky loses enough so that we see Kentucky/UNC in Dayton. That would be the most hilarious game ever.

Pollux

I know it's been mentioned but what are the chances he actually does comeback?

I'm saying 70-30 he's gone, but depending on how much he might drop in the draft it might be the best decision to come back if he thinks he'll be able to recover physically and play his way back up the draft board.

Just my $.02

He's better off going in this weak draft even if he drops a spot or two. Even if his stock is affected in a bigger way than expected (really glad it's just a torn ACL) there isn't much competition to keep him out of the top 5.

edit: Draft Express guy
My take on Nerlens Noel NBA stock in wake of the ACL tear: he's the same prospect today he was yesterday. Still goes 1-3. Nothing changed.

Good to hear.

W1SSY

Everyone on ESPN has said Noel is gone and it would only make sense. He may want to return but I am sure others around him will make him realize he will get paid big at the next level and cannot risk another big injury in college.

key

I know it's been mentioned but what are the chances he actually does comeback?

I'm saying 70-30 he's gone, but depending on how much he might drop in the draft it might be the best decision to come back if he thinks he'll be able to recover physically and play his way back up the draft board.

Just my $.02

How could he come back? Assuming Cauley-Stein returns, UK would have Noel, Lee, Johnson, and Cauley-Stein. Certainly not enough playing time to go around, and I seriously doubt any of these high-caliber recruits are going to take very well to sitting the bench. Especially considering they were probably promised playing time.

It's certainly sad that Noel got injured, though. As a UofL fan, I know that feel.

Especially considering they were probably promised playing time.

Cal doesn't promise playing time—every recruit will tell you the same thing. They certainly expect it, but they know they have to earn it.

But yeah, there's no reason for Nerlens to come back. He'd only be opening himself up to increased draft competition (which is a big deal with the rookie scale being what it is) and the possibility of injury. The only way that was going to happen was if the injury was catastrophic (my biggest fear last night).

key

Cal doesn't promise playing time—every recruit will tell you the same thing. They certainly expect it, but they know they have to earn it.

You can believe that if you'd like, but I don't buy it. You think the Harrison twins would be going to UK if there was even the possibility that they wouldn't be starting? Of course the kids aren't going to say they were promised playing time.

You can believe that if you'd like, but I don't buy it. You think the Harrison twins would be going to UK if there was even the possibility that they wouldn't be starting? Of course the kids aren't going to say they were promised playing time.

That's fine if you don't believe it, but it's one of Cal's things—core to his (often corny) philosophy. They aren't guaranteed minutes or shots—although in some cases players know they'll be starting when there's no real competition. Even if Harrow and Goodwin come back the Harrisons would presumably start as they're better players.

TheNatural

My Member!
Even if Harrow and Goodwin come back the Harrisons would presumably start as they're better players.

Which is why any UK fans saying that no way Goodwin or whoever won't go pro are nuts.

Cal has created the one and done culture there, and whether or not they have the high draft slot, they've been recruited over and will be going - if they can be picked anywhere. No one is going to accept going from 5 star first year starter to bench player. Harrow might stay because he's not that good, everyone else will go.

iamblades

Recruits are smart enough to look at the roster and see if they can compete for playing time or not, but I believe him when he says he makes no promises. I know for damn sure he doesn't make promises about shot numbers, that offensive balance has been the one consistent thing about all his UK teams. the only time he's had a player with a USG % above 30 was DeMarcus Cousins, and he was basically the most efficient player in college basketball that year.

That said, no way in hell does Noel come back, and he shouldn't. Worst case scenario OKC will steal him with Toronto's pick and stockpile him for his rookie year. They get a #1 talent for free basically and they don't need him to make an impact his rookie season.

IMO he should still go top 5 if not top 3. It may be hard for an awful team with the top pick to sell their fanbase on drafting a player that won't make a real impact for the whole first year, but someone will take the chance.

If the surgery goes well and he passes the medical exam, I'd still take him #1 because I'm not sold that any of the other players in this year's draft will be impact players in the league.

If he fell all the way to #10 in the draft and could come back and go #1 next year, maybe it would make sense to come back. But I doubt he falls that far this year, and I doubt he goes #1 next year (unless he makes one hell of a recovery) given the deeper pool of talent in next year's draft. It makes sense for him to go given what we've heard so far.

Fjordson

Man...real shitty turn of events. Was hoping he'd get defensive player of the year, as well as break Rondo's steals record and Anthony Davis' block record. Oh well, glad that he's positive. And an ACL tear is definitely something he can come back full strength from. Hope he goes number 1 in the draft like he deserve.

This is going to be a weird season for UK. Hate to say it since it's a team game and I know every kid on there plays their hardest, but no Noel really makes them a lot less exciting to watch and I imagine us dropping a lot more games now.

iamblades

Which is why any UK fans saying that no way Goodwin or whoever won't go pro are nuts.

Cal has created the one and done culture there, and whether or not they have the high draft slot, they've been recruited over and will be going - if they can be picked anywhere. No one is going to accept going from 5 star first year starter to bench player. Harrow might stay because he's not that good, everyone else will go.

I don't know anyone saying there's no way Goodwin goes. Plenty say he's not ready, which is true, but everyone assumes if he's projected 1st round(and he probably will be given how terrible the talent pool is currently) he's gone. Someone is going to take him (and Poythress) to try and develop them into something just based on their physical abilities. They both have prototype NBA bodies.

Harrow is different, I really don't think he has the body to go to the NBA yet, he really need another summer or two in the weight room. Oddly enough I think he fits better in the NBA where defenders can't body him up as much, I just don't think an NBA team is going to draft him when he's not even capable of physically beating college players. Plus we don't have a backup PG next year aside from moving Aaron over to PG, so there will be minutes available for him.

Of course I think all 3 of them have the potential to be better in the pros than in college. Harrow because defenses aren't as physical, and Goodwin and Poythress because they won't get as many bullshit charge calls in the league.

Seth C

Some recruits have specifically commented that XXX coach promised them minutes while Cal said otherwise. I know the world likes to believe in Calipari conspiracies, but I doubt every recruit is in on a sham. It doesn't matter anyway. If you're good enough you can look and know you will start. That definitely goes for the Harrison twins. Plus if every other coach is promising playing time and one guy looks you in the face and says you have to earn it, that gives him credibility and lets a recruit trust the other stuff he's telling them more.

If one coach is telling you something he knows you don't want to hear and the others all tell you exactly what they know you want to hear, well, you make the decision.

Top Bottom