• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Then again, most of Davis' (and all young big men in the NBA ever) issues come down to not knowing how to defend against good fakes and the pick-and-roll. Most college players aren't good at executing pick-and-roll or throwing out decent fakes so Davis (and young big men in general) would still be unprepared for that type of stuff in the NBA. A lot of improving is being challenged and improving at what you get exposed to be bad at and I'm not sure college teams can do that to a lot of great prospects.
More than pick-and-roll and decent fakes, which actually are fairly well represented in the college game... I think you touched on the problem. Lottery talents like Davis are just too good for the college game to challenge them.

It's a function of talent VS number of teams. The NBA has 30 teams or whatever, and yet you still end up with haves and have-nots based on where the superstars land. You could make the case that competitive balance would improve tremendously if they dropped a few teams. The talent pool is too diluted as is.

Now, what happens if you have a smaller pool of talent (because you have guys for a max of 4 years) dispersed across 300+ teams?

I've seen Davis have some really nice games this year.

I think some leeway has to be allowed for his ankle injury, his nasty concussion (nice one Austin Rivers :lol) and the fact that New Orleans is pretty bad.

But yeah, he still has plenty of room to improve.

He's having a very good year and will be a great player. Would be getting a lot of attention if his team wasn't killed by injuries this year or if he was in a big market I think.

thefro

More than pick-and-roll and decent fakes, which actually are fairly well represented in the college game... I think you touched on the problem. Lottery talents like Davis are just too good for the college game to challenge them.

Of course players like Davis aren't going to be regularly challenged (he definitely got challenged by the Zellers, amongst others while he was at UK, so it's not like he didn't learn anything in college) in the college game because the players with similar skills to them are going to get drafted.

I mean, in theory if you had to stay all four years, Cousins, Kanter, Davis, and Noel would all be on different teams and would have been battling (and that's just from Kentucky).

Fjordson

He's having a very good year and will be a great player. Would be getting a lot of attention if his team wasn't killed by injuries this year or if he was in a big market I think.
Agreed.

Just saw him have a nice game the other night. Had like 21-22 points, 11 boards, and 3 blocks. And earlier in the week had 4 blocks against Detroit.

BJK

I think that's as good a half of basketball as I've seen the Badgers play all year; hope they have another half in them today.

I'm turning this game off. Not going to watch a team who doesn't even try. Good thing baseball is gearing up and spring practice for football is soon.

Elsewhere:
cxjmXSR.jpg

Calipari in 5 years next year will have an alum list a mile long. Yet I haven't read a single post about the rookie game this All Star weekend. Im sure the 1 vs 2 year game will be like 60% UK alum.

Sports suck with no development or attachment. Its like rooting for a different team every year.

I'm as attached to Wall/Bledsoe/Cousins/Jorts/Knight/Miller/Davis/Kidd-Gilchrist as any previous UK players, so you won't catch me complaining. I don't really post here about NBA stuff (nor can I keep up with the NBA gaf threads, which are nuts) but I haven't missed any of the non-shitty events.

New team every year can suck, but at least it keeps the excitement up year round. Losing everyone last year was unexpected—imagine if Teague had come back as Cal wanted.

Servbot24

Banned
Iowa down to Minnesota by 16 in first half, comes back and wins by 21.

That's what I'm talkin bout. B-)

DeadlyCyclone, we need your team to step up and help bolster our resume. :p

alstein

The FT break was like 43 to 7. Incompetency at its finest. Even we dont get that much of a break.

The refs were just completely stupid in that game- may have favored State overall, but they were complete bozos who were making things up as they went along. Not corrupt, but incompetent.

It takes Karl Hess before you get corrupt.

key

How do you figure?

Losses to Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana State. ACC is down this year. Only meaningful wins over Michigan State (at home) and a depleted Duke squad (also at home).

I'm not saying they're absolutely terrible, but I don't think they're 1 seed material.

Slizz

Losses to Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana State. ACC is down this year. Only meaningful wins over Michigan State (at home) and a depleted Duke squad (also at home).

I'm not saying they're absolutely terrible, but I don't think they're 1 seed material.

Seniority, size, lock-down D and really good guard play. All the keys to a deep tourney run and the Canes have all of them for this 1 year.

FGC we were missing key players, same with Indiana State and they are both doing good in their respective conferences.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah Miami is legit and the ACC is the second best conference, not too far behind the Big 10. All of D1 is down this year.

key

Yeah Miami is legit and the ACC is the second best conference, not too far behind the Big 10. All of D1 is down this year.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I really can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic. The ACC is third at best, behind both the Big 10 and the BE (in my opinion, of course).

alstein

Indiana State has a shot at making the field, and is at least an NIT team.

Better than TCU.

Fjordson

I think the canes are a legit #1 seed.

Honestly, everyone has some losses that they shouldn't have this year. If they beat Duke at Cameron and don't choke anywhere else then they're a lock I think.

key

I think the canes are a legit #1 seed.

Honestly, everyone has some losses that they shouldn't have this year. If they beat Duke at Cameron and don't choke anywhere else then they're a lock I think.

If they can beat Duke at Cameron and again in the ACC tournament, I think they'll have earned it.

That Miami Clemson game was terrible. Clemson missed almost every free throw down the stretch, that charge call at the end was an awful call. I'm not sure how someone can watch Miami win 45-43 at a lousy Clemson team and come away with the impression that they are a Final Four contender.

Take a look at their win streak.....they trailed in 5 of those ACC games at half.....nipped a poor BC team by a point, beat Clemson today barely....yes they crushed Duke....but Duke will go out early in March unless they get Kelly back....their best conference win is at NC St on a tip in.

They are good defensively, Larkin is a solid pg, they've got a bunch of seniors. But, they've never been on the big stage in march, and they play in an ACC that is clearly down this year.

Put them in the B1G and they'd finish no better than 5th (Id put them around OSU's level). Wisconsin would take Miami apart. MSU did not take the game seriously at Miami back in December, right now MSU would beat Miami by double digits.

Larranaga is a good coach and they are a nice story this year....but right now they look like the obvious choice to be the first 1 or 2 seed to go out of the tournament early. I just dont see it with them.

key

Put them in the B1G and they'd finish no better than 5th (Id put them around OSU's level). Wisconsin would take Miami apart. MSU did not take the game seriously at Miami back in December, right now MSU would beat Miami by double digits.

This is pretty much how I feel. Put them in the B1G or BE and they're likely middle of the pack. But like I said, if they win out and handle Duke twice (assuming they meet in the ACC tournament), they would have to give them a 1 seed.

Fjordson

I have this feeling all four number one seeds will lose before the final four this year. Just so wide open. Maybe even early like the sweet 16.

I can see 2 lower seeds and then 2 right below the one seeds (like Michigan St. and Gonzaga maybe).

I agree that Miami will likely earn their 1 seed. Even if they lose at Duke, but win the rest. No question they are a 1 seed.

But they are eminently beatable in the tournament. Id pick them to lose against almost any other team in the top 15. Miami's going to need a fortunate draw matchup wise to get past the Sweet 16. I could easily see them lose their 2nd game, wouldn't be surprised to see them struggle in their first one.

I would like to see one of the talking heads make a compelling basketball argument for picking Miami to make the Final Four. I'm genuinely curious as to what it would be. Nice story, Larranaga can coach, good for them, but again, I just dont see it with that team.

george_us

I have this feeling all four number one seeds will lose before the final four this year. Just so wide open. Maybe even early like the sweet 16.

I can see 2 lower seeds and then 2 right below the one seeds (like Michigan St. and Gonzaga maybe).
Yup. You can throw darts at a board, fill out your bracket, and have a good chance of it being correct. The only teams remotely resembling "sure things" in my opinion are Indiana and Sparty. I want to add Florida to that list since they've been steamrolling everyone in their path but the SEC is horrible this year.

But fuck what a horrible loss for the Buckeyes today. Our defense was horrible and our offense was somehow even worse.

New AP poll is out:

Indiana (43), Miami (20), Gonzaga (2), Michigan State, Florida

Duke, Michigan, Syracuse, Kansas, Louisville

are the top ten.

P.S. RIP to Phil Henderson, the man still in possession of Alonzo Mourning's soul.

Draxal said:
So what conference tournament is MSG going to hold in 2014.

The ACC, C7, Big East, or the Big 10?

EDIT: Forgot that the ACC has the ability to option out of Greensboro for the next three years. Still, would doubt it for 2014, maybe 2015.

Vyrance

Come on now, I know you think the B1G is all mighty, but thats a lame excuse for discrediting Miami's win against MSU.

Draxal

New AP poll is out:

are the top ten.

P.S. RIP to Phil Henderson, the man still in possession of Alonzo Mourning's soul.

EDIT: Forgot that the ACC has the ability to option out of Greensboro for the next three years. Still, would doubt it for 2014, maybe 2015.

Ya when I said 2014, I meant the 2015 tournament 2014-15 season my bad.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
New AP poll is out:

are the top ten.

Players like Phil Henderson are why you didn't want to play Duke after a loss. He took that shit personally and would call out the team if he felt they were not playing up to standard. He did that in 89 after a bad ACC title game vs UNC and Duke responded with another FF run. I've always expected Duke to have that guy on the team and it frustrates me when they do not. RIP Phil.

Top Bottom