• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm with you.

College sports are a joke, anyway. I dare say I'm getting sick of it. This one and done stuff makes the victories feel hollow and I am unemotionally affected by wins and losses now.

I made the same point last year and you and the rest of the UK fans went off at that point.

You have a good chance at another title next year, but at what cost?

Calipari in 5 years next year will have an alum list a mile long. Yet I haven't read a single post about the rookie game this All Star weekend. Im sure the 1 vs 2 year game will be like 60% UK alum.

Sports suck with no development or attachment. Its like rooting for a different team every year.

Pollux

I made the same point last year and you and the rest of the UK fans went off at that point.

You have a good chance at another title next year, but at what cost?

Calipari in 5 years next year will have an alum list a mile long. Yet I haven't read a single post about the rookie game this All Star weekend. Im sure the 1 vs 2 year game will be like 60% UK alum.

Sports suck with no development or attachment. Its like rooting for a different team every year.
Can you believe I'm agreeing with you?

TheNatural

My Member!
That dilemma is pretty specific to Kentucky right now. Cal recruits all the one and dones.

Im not sure why he doesn't just go start an NBDL type program funded by some sponsor, take recruits to Europe to play against various Euroleague teams for a year, since he acts so damn philanthropic with these future millionaires.

He and Worldwide Wes could form that easily, players get paid for a year, and get tougher competition and a taste of NBA life. It would be a prep program for the NBA and kill all these stupid facades.

Fjordson

It's the NBA's problem to fix. Need to increase it like football and baseball, or just let kids go out of high school.

I don't really blame Calipari. He goes after the best talent and it works. An elite eight, a final four, a title, and a decent seed in the tourney this year with a healthy Noel. Easy to see why he recruits the way he does.

key

It's the NBA's problem to fix. Need to increase it like football and baseball, or just let kids go out of high school.

I don't really blame Calipari. He goes after the best talent and it works. An elite eight, a final four, a title, and a decent seed in the tourney this year with a healthy Noel. Easy to see why he recruits the way he does.

The whole system falls apart if any of those 5-start recruits can't play, though. UK wasn't very good this year anyway, but they are barely NIT worthy without Noel. Same thing probably would've happened in 2011, but luckily for Cal one of BCG's recruits stepped up and filled the gap left by Kanter.

When it works, it works well. When it doesn't...well, see today's UT game.

TheNatural

My Member!

Its not that he does it, its the fact that he's such a sanctimonious panderer about it.

He preaches about how its all about just these kids, yet kicked off half the team including transfers who had to sit out a year when he came on. He cares, when it benefits his image - and winning does that. If Meeks had stayed, a guy who had turned out to be a fan fav in Harrelson, would have hit the road.

At the same time he acts like it just isn't enough these guys are connected future ultra millionaires, but while they must suffer in the dredges of college athletics for a year, everyone owes them a kidney. Last year he was making comments about how they don't schedule tougher, because first 'they're kids and they don't need that' followed by some rant about how if they dare went on the road two games, choose which other sport gets cancelled because of losing home game money. Where the fuck does he get off ranting about that shit?

If the guy cared so much, just go do the Euro or NBDL type of thing. There's no one forcing a HS grad to go to college, and he acts as if its some sort of burden everyone should kiss him and his player's feet for.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm fine with Calipari doing what he does because it will (hopefully) eventually force change. Whether it's paying college players (legally), NBA changes, NCAA changes, whatever.

Winning a title is awesome but I can't tell you that I honestly like someone like Anthony Davis more than a player like Chuck Hayes.

Fjordson

The whole system falls apart if any of those 5-start recruits can't play, though. UK wasn't very good this year anyway, but they are barely NIT worthy without Noel. Same thing probably would've happened in 2011, but luckily for Cal one of BCG's recruits stepped up and filled the gap left by Kanter.

When it works, it works well. When it doesn't...well, see today's UT game.
Oh it can be precarious no doubt, but I can see why he's willing to take that chance with the success he's had. Caliapri's top recruits before this year have delivered in a big way.

Like I said, with Noel we're easily a decent seed in the tourney. If that's a "down" year then I'm not complaining.

Its not that he does it, its the fact that he's such a sanctimonious panderer about it.

He preaches about how its all about just these kids, yet kicked off half the team including transfers who had to sit out a year when he came on. He cares, when it benefits his image - and winning does that. If Meeks had stayed, a guy who had turned out to be a fan fav in Harrelson, would have hit the road.

At the same time he acts like it just isn't enough these guys are connected future ultra millionaires, but while they must suffer in the dredges of college athletics for a year, everyone owes them a kidney. Last year he was making comments about how they don't schedule tougher, because first 'they're kids and they don't need that' followed by some rant about how if they dare went on the road two games, choose which other sport gets cancelled because of losing home game money. Where the fuck does he get off ranting about that shit?

If the guy cared so much, just go do the Euro or NBDL type of thing. There's no one forcing a HS grad to go to college, and he acts as if its some sort of burden everyone should kiss him and his player's feet for.
I didn't mean to suggest he's a saint. I like Calipari and think he's a great coach, but I get that he's not some grand selfless savior.

I'm just saying that it's up to the NBA to alter their rule. Until then, I can't see any reason for Calipari to change his recruiting methods.

I'm fine with Calipari doing what he does because it will (hopefully) eventually force change. Whether it's paying college players (legally), NBA changes, NCAA changes, whatever.

Winning a title is awesome but I can't tell you that I honestly like someone like Anthony Davis more than a player like Chuck Hayes.
I actually loved last year's team. Guys like MKG and Davis seem like quality guys that were proud to be at UK. And I loved the older guys like Darius Miller or even Terrence Jones (only a sophomore, but he was great). Even my wife's 78 year old grandma rocks a fear the brow t-shirt. She loved Davis.

This year's team? Not so much, though I did love Noel. Don't care if he's a one and done, that kid went all out for his team and represented UK in the best way possible.

Edit: just to be clear, I understand what TheNatural is saying. About it not being the same with college basketball having so much turnover with all of these freshmen. I'm not crazy about it either and do hope the NBA changes the rule eventually.

TheNatural

My Member!
Oh it can be precarious no doubt, but I can see why he's willing to take that chance with the success he's had. Caliapri's top recruits before this year have delivered in a big way.

Like I said, with Noel we're easily a decent seed in the tourney. If that's a "down" year then I'm not complaining.

I didn't mean to suggest he's a saint. I like Calipari and think he's a great coach, but I get that he's not some grand selfless savior.

I'm just saying that it's up to the NBA to alter their rule. Until then, I can't see any reason for Calipari to change his recruiting methods.

I actually loved last year's team. Guys like MKG and Davis seem like quality guys that were proud to be at UK. And I loved the older guys like Darius Miller or even Terrence Jones (only a sophomore, but he was great). Even my wife's 78 year old grandma rocks a fear the brow t-shirt. She loved Davis.

This year's team? Not so much, though I did love Noel. Don't care if he's a one and done, that kid went all out for his team and represented UK in the best way possible.

Edit: just to be clear, I understand what TheNatural is saying. About it not being the same with college basketball having so much turnover with all of these freshmen. I'm not crazy about it either and do hope the NBA changes the rule eventually.

The NBA is going to only do what benefits them. One and done gives HS players a year of publicity. It may only change because of the fact that weak drafts occur and bad teams get shafted. Maybe the Jordan factor at Charlotte will change it since they've sucked so long and this year if they don't win the lottery it will be a crappy option - again.

And even if they do win, they'll be thinking 'fuck we could have had Wiggins.'

Thats the only thing going to change it.

iamblades

The issue is that Calipari clearly missed out on some prospects he was going for in the 2012 class. When you have a 4 man class, you can't have any of those recruits get injured or not produce at an elite level immediately.

I suspect that's why he is going so aggressive with 2013 trying to sign a 7-8 man class. Having a 4 recruit class and trying to patch the holes with walkons and transfers clearly doesn't work.

As for the 1 and done players in general, I have no complaints at all. Every single one of Calipari's recruits have represented the university extremely well off the court, and this year is the only year they haven't done well on the court. All of Cal's players return every year and speak openly about how much they loved their time here, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to feel differently about them because they were good enough to leave early.

As far as the rules go, yes it clearly sucks, but that's what happens when everyone is just worried about the money without any regard to the actual people or the end product. Players should be able to enter the draft out of high school and players should be allowed to go through the draft process without losing their NCAA eligibility. Both sides are fucking over the players, the NBA because it wants to spend less money on scouting and the NCAA because jerkoff coaches are worried more about their own jobs than the future of the players.

The fact that almost every year the NCAA moves the deadline to withdraw from the draft back is a fucking joke, these players have like 2 weeks after the season to make one of the most important decisions of their life now and the NCAA tries to act like they care about the best interests of the players.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've heard people claim that the product on both sides of the pro line has suffered. I don't follow the NBA close enough to judge but college sure has. It does seem that fewer of these early entrants make any real impact on their teams. You have a few studs and the rest seem to be role players or average starters.

Anthony Davis, the clear number 1 pick, is having a decent rookie season but nothing earth shattering. I don't really see where his leaving early added to the NBA at all, or what the difference would be if he was at UK another year. I'm not slagging on Davis or anything, it just seems a lot of these guys leave and they don't bring a big impact with them, not compared to the impact they'd have on the college game if they'd stay. Davis would be the marquee name in all of CBB if he returned.

iamblades

I've heard people claim that the product on both sides of the pro line has suffered. I don't follow the NBA close enough to judge but college sure has. It does seem that fewer of these early entrants make any real impact on their teams. You have a few studs and the rest seem to be role players or average starters.

Anthony Davis, the clear number 1 pick, is having a decent rookie season but nothing earth shattering. I don't really see where his leaving early added to the NBA at all, or what the difference would be if he was at UK another year. I'm not slagging on Davis or anything, it just seems a lot of these guys leave and they don't bring a big impact with them, not compared to the impact they'd have on the college game if they'd stay. Davis would be the marquee name in all of CBB if he returned.

Well obviously quality of play would be improved if they were forced to stay 4 years and couldn't play as freshmen, but I don't see how that is fair when someone is willing to pay them now.

Ideally it should be closer to the baseball system. If you are LeBron and an NBA team is really willing to pay you millions of dollars now, you get drafted out of high school. You also get rid of the rookie pay scale so an NBA team better be damn sure before they do this.

If you clearly aren't NBA talent, you go undrafted and go to college until you develop enough to be drafted. If you are clearly NBA talent but not ready, an NBA team can draft you and pay you to go to college for a minimum of 3 years to develop and retain your draft rights.

This seems to be the most fair solution to me, but good fucking luck getting all parties (especially the NCAA) to agree to it.

TheNatural

My Member!
Honestly I don't care when they go, I don't think they should be forced to play 3 years in college. Basketball is the only major sport where rookies are game ready out of high school or a year of college. Other sports and you get creamed.

HS players in the draft pushes down 1 and done stock, so there would be less of them, besides the point most wouldnt go to college anyway.

The only thing that annoys me is players in HS stringing along schools trying to recruit them by lying about their intentions. Set a deadline before their senior year or HS to declare, and Im fine with them going. We were burned over and over again on that shit.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Man this game is ugly. Tons of fouls. Not looking good for us right now either. Oh well, not our rivals, etc.

I think the combination of the weather and travel screw-ups in Boston + the emotion of the UNC game just left us drained for today. Mason has been awful, too.

Crazy stats...Maryland losing 24-12 in TOs, us getting beat 35-12 (!!) on the boards. Weird.

edit:

UM has been hitting their FTs, have to give them credit, if they close this game out that will be why.

edit2:

Holy shit UM got robbed. Not a charge.

edit3:

Ok I guess that miss was karma. Can't believe that popped out. Damn.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to have a heart attack. Why couldn't Maryland have just closed this out. We don't deserve this.

Griegite

still a junior
Can't believe Maryland let it get this way. It's a miracle they're still up by 1. Of course, who knows with this last free throw. Too many turnovers.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Of course they stormed the court. *sigh*

When does Kelly come back again?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Why whine about it when instead I can congratulate the Miami Hurricanes on their first ever ACC regular season title.

I for one am not going to miss Mason Plumlee, I don't think I'ma miss Kelly or Curry either. I'm ready for kids that can play by ability alone. Lucky for us, thats next year.

Why whine about it when instead I can congratulate the Miami Hurricanes on their first ever ACC regular season title.

I for one am not going to miss Mason Plumlee, I don't think I'ma miss Kelly or Curry either. I'm ready for kids that can play by ability alone. Lucky for us, thats next year.

Lol. Didn't you say the exact same thing for Brian Zoubek?

I'll wait till the tournament.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lol. Didn't you say the exact same thing for Brian Zoubek?

I'll wait till the tournament.

I don't recall throwing Zoubs under the bus, but I won't say I didn't at some point in his career. Most Duke fans did. Still doesn't change the fact that when they were seniors, Zoubek, Scheyer and Thomas came correct. Our seniors, Mason in particular aren't doing that.

He's the one that claimed he came back to be the man this year. When you make that statement, you have to back it up, especially in February.

TheNatural

My Member!
Its cliche 101, but it really is a bitch to win road conference games against capable opponents.

Along with this game tonight, I think of Michigan losing at Wisconsin, then they lose at Minny.

We lose in 5 OTs last week in South Bend, then Notre Dame goes to Providence and loses by 17. The Orange go to UConn and lose, and they lose somewhere today which I forget.

Yeah this year is a bitch. A correct bracket should give someone the Powerball.

Then again, most of Davis' (and all young big men in the NBA ever) issues come down to not knowing how to defend against good fakes and the pick-and-roll. Most college players aren't good at executing pick-and-roll or throwing out decent fakes so Davis (and young big men in general) would still be unprepared for that type of stuff in the NBA. A lot of improving is being challenged and improving at what you get exposed to be bad at and I'm not sure college teams can do that to a lot of great prospects.

Fjordson

I've seen Davis have some really nice games this year.

I think some leeway has to be allowed for his ankle injury, his nasty concussion (nice one Austin Rivers :lol) and the fact that New Orleans is pretty bad.

But yeah, he still has plenty of room to improve.

Top Bottom