• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

lush

Nice to see a call reviewed somewhere for a change. ISU definitely got jobbed.

Florida -9 tonight. That line wants it.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nice to see a call reviewed somewhere for a change. ISU definitely got jobbed.

Florida -9 tonight. That line wants it.

The most ISU will get is a freaking apology letter. Trust me, we've had a stack of them playing in the Big East in football and basketball combined.

lush

The most ISU will get is a freaking apology letter. Trust me, we've had a stack of them playing in the Big East in football and basketball combined.
Oh I know. Just the fact that it's being acknowledged is cool though.

College basketball officiating has to be the worst in sports.

KingGondo

Banned
Oh I know. Just the fact that it's being acknowledged is cool though.

College basketball officiating has to be the worst in sports.
I agree.

I get that basketball is hard to officiate, but there's no excuse for calls like last night (or in Stillwater last week). Just a complete lack of consistency.

alstein

The ACC you don't get apology letters- you get the refs trying to screw you harder the next game. Boeheim is going to go postal next year.

devilhawk

igNGEIe2Bydwx.gif

Somehow this was called a charge last night. Apparently turning into a shooter, having one foot still in the air, and falling over sideways dictates a charge call. A call which took two points away and put Withey on the bench for a lengthy stretch where ISU made their run.

Fact is the refs sucked all game. There is never just one blown call.

But it is only a game. ISU fans seem upset with the refs and uh, oh yikes

Fjordson

You're comparing the end of the game to judgment calls, though. There will always be 2-3 questionable calls throughout a game. It's literally unavoidable.

The reason that no call is a problem is because it represents a larger issue. With some referees preferring to "let the players decide the game". So they seemingly forget all the rules in basketball and just don't call anything. No matter what team you're a fan of, ending the game like that is wrong. They have to call something.

Watch the last possession or two of games most of the time. It turns into sloppy garbage with the rules going out the window (aside from obvious stuff like double dribble or travel). It's bad and something that needs to be tightened up.

That no call also sort of relates to the apparent mind boggler that is the charge/block foul for NCAA refs. Maybe they've become so confused that they just aren't going to call those ever again :lol

Also, the play at the end was infinitely more obvious than that gif, but it doesn't really matter. They aren't going to do anything at this point, and bad officiating is all over the place so this isn't some isolated incident. Just have to move on and hope they find a way to stop this sort of thing moving forward.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, there's no excuse for racist idiots, but every team has fans like that. Those guys are out of line.

Update on it, NCAA ruled that there were mistakes made. Gondo's right though, the care has faded. KU played well, we played well, the refs did not play well for either team. I am tired of KU making every 3 when the clock goes under one minute though. :p Least it wasn't MClemore this time.

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...game/-/9357080/19094298/-/xbenbl/-/index.html

"The Big 12 Conference acknowledges that officiating errors were made at the end of regulation during last night's Kansas and Iowa State men's basketball game. The plays have been reviewed and appropriate measures will be taken by the Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials to adjust the number of future assignments for the two officials involved in conjunction with Conference policies."

EDIT: Looks like that jackass deleted his Twitter. Glad the internet got him.

Minnesota as expected tough on the boards so far. Zeller needs to show some of the fire he did against Meyers Leonard in the Illinois home game last yr, where Leonard outplayed him in the first half, then Zeller came back in the 2nd half and dominated, included an and 1 where he just so happened to clock Leonard with an elbow in chin as he scored the basket. Needs to bring more toughness here in the 2nd half.

iamblades

You're comparing the end of the game to judgment calls, though. There will always be 2-3 questionable calls throughout a game. It's literally unavoidable.

The reason that no call is a problem is because it represents a larger issue. With some referees preferring to "let the players decide the game". So they seemingly forget all the rules in basketball and just don't call anything. No matter what team you're a fan of, ending the game like that is wrong. They have to call something.

Watch the last possession or two of games most of the time. It turns into sloppy garbage with the rules going out the window (aside from obvious stuff like double dribble or travel). It's bad and something that needs to be tightened up.

That no call also sort of relates to the apparent mind boggler that is the charge/block foul for NCAA refs. Maybe they've become so confused that they just aren't going to call those ever again :lol

Also, the play at the end was infinitely more obvious than that gif, but it doesn't really matter. They aren't going to do anything at this point, and bad officiating is all over the place so this isn't some isolated incident. Just have to move on and hope they find a way to stop this sort of thing moving forward.

I think everyone agrees that NCAA refs are horrible and inconsistent. Especially with the block/charge call.

I'm also torn because I believe the offensive player should be given the benefit of the doubt in 50/50 cases, and I think coaching players to get under driving player and fall down to draw a charge is ruining college basketball and is going to get someone seriously injured one of these days.. However that late no-call looks like a pretty clear charge to me. I also see how the ref could go a different way though, the defender pretty clearly leans before contact was made and he can't see the contact from where he was anyway(which brings up the question of why the fuck it is always the baseline official making that call, when there is no possible way he can see what happened?). He still has legal guarding position though and is entitled to move backwards or even fall backwards if he wants to, and the offensive player is not entitled to land on him like that.

I would be perfectly fine with charges being almost completely eliminated from the game though. Make a play on the ball, don't just stand there trying to get run over. If the officials can't call it consistently, don't call it at all.

Talon

Officiating basketball is hard as hell. At least in football, you have 11 some odd guys all along different parts of the field. Basketball moves too quickly for three officials to cover the floor.

iamblades

Officiating basketball is hard as hell. At least in football, you have 11 some odd guys all along different parts of the field. Basketball moves too quickly for three officials to cover the floor.

I agree, especially dealing with D1+ level athletes.

Fjordson

Damn, Minnesota playing big right now.

This is true. I bitch about refs, but I also acknowledge that I'd never be able to do it well.

Indiana doesn't deserve this game tonight. Getting killed on the glass, Zeller getting outplayed by Mbakwe, mistake after mistake by the players. Kudos to Minnesota, they were going to be in the tournament anyway but if there was any doubt, they just punched their ticket.

NewLib

Banned
I really think Crean is telling his players to flop in those situations. This is like the third time I've seen Indiana just go to the ground when they weren't hit by an elbow

jakncoke

Banned
So assuming Gonzaga beats BYU, that should make them #1 making cubsfan wrong :p

Also if that happens, will Gonzaga be the first #1 ever that has a counted win vs. a NAIA school aka Lewis-Clark St.?

Fjordson

Indiana doesn't deserve this game tonight. Getting killed on the glass, Zeller getting outplayed by Mbakwe, mistake after mistake by the players. Kudos to Minnesota, they were going to be in the tournament anyway but if there was any doubt, they just punched their ticket.
Zeller and Watford can both be so inconsistent. It's weird. Seems like every time I watch Indiana one of them is a ghost. Zeller 2 for 9 tonight, Watford with just a single field goal in the first 38 minutes.

thefro

Zeller and Watford can both be so inconsistent. It's weird. Seems like every time I watch Indiana one of them is a ghost. Zeller 2 for 9 tonight, Watford with just a single field goal in the first 38 minutes.

Zeller struggles against stronger post players on the road (i.e., where he'd get called for a foul if he played as physical as the other guy is playing).

Zeller struggles against stronger post players on the road (i.e., where he'd get called for a foul if he played as physical as the other guy is playing).

It seemed like Zeller played tougher and more physical last year as a freshman. The Evansville game where he got hit in the groin and came back with a vengeance. The Meyers Leonard game where Zeller dominated in the 2nd half. Sure there was the first Nix/Payne matchup on the road as a freshman where he got out physicalled, but I remember he came back strong in the rematch in Bloomington.

Then this year, Butler plays him physical, Wisconsin, Minnesota tonight, for whatever, he seems to let the physical contact get to him more this year. Strange. My memory could be off from his freshman year, but that's my perception.

Watford's problem tonight was getting those 3 fouls, that took him out of his game, plus it seemed like Minnesota keyed on Watford early on defense, not wanting him to get off.

Just wasn't IU's night...outside of Oladipo, Sheehey and some Hulls 3s....they just didnt have the same intensity they did at MSU. Getting beat that bad on the boards was a sign that they didnt have that extra edge tonight.

Bright side, is at least this loss is easier to get over than their others this year. They got outplayed tonight, so it's easier to get over. That Illinois loss was far more frustrating, blowing that 8 pt lead with under 3 min to play.

At least Indiana still controls their own destiny in the conference, but they've removed their margin for error.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
And Michigan is now back in control of its own destiny. Thank you Gophers.

Also rosters for the 2013 Derby Festival Classic All-Star event.

White Team
Akoy Agau – Louisville
Connor Frankamp – Kansas
Keith Frazier – Undecided
Anton Gill – Louisville
Jarell Martin – LSU
Jordan Mickey – LSU
Robert Hubbs – Tennessee
Jajaun Johnson – Marquette
Rysheed Jordan – Undecided
Austin Nichols – Memphis

Black Team
Jabari Bird — California
Stevie Clark – Oklahoma State
Devin Davis – Indiana
Tyler Ennis – Syracuse
Luke Fischer – Indiana
Zak Irvin – Michigan
Sindarius Thornwell – South Carolina
Stanford Robinson — Indiana
Troy Williams – Indiana
Derek Willis – Kentucky

Fjordson

Volunteers beating the Gators at half. Damn. Kinda hope they get the win so UK's 30 point beatdown doesn't look quite as awful.

bachikarn

damn, how does Tenn have our number in bball? I thought it was because of Pearl, but they continue to do it even when he got fired.

lush

Same old florida. Always soft as hell and incapable of playing decent ball at the end of a close game. They'll still do well in the tourney though.

Silkworm

Same old florida. Always soft as hell and incapable of playing decent ball at the end of a close game. They'll still do well in the tourney though.

I sure hope so. I hate watching all these close loses on the road. *sigh* Hopefully Prather isn't too injured. Gators are just now getting Frazier and Yeguete back but now they might be without Prather again who missed games earlier in the season due to concussions in practice and a high ankle sprain. Prather is just so unlucky :-(

If UF ends up having to share the SEC regular season title with Bama or UK this year *no words*

TheNatural

My Member!
Bout dat March time. I'm going to be pissed if we can't win at Cuse Saturday, because we have to get that game with others falling.

Lyude77

I sure hope so. I hate watching all these close loses on the road. *sigh* Hopefully Prather isn't too injured. Gators are just now getting Frazier and Yeguete back but now they might be without Prather again who missed games earlier in the season due to concussions in practice and a high ankle sprain. Prather is just so unlucky :-(

If UF ends up having to share the SEC regular season title with Bama or UK this year *no words*

UF shouldn't have to worry much about UK or Bama. UF plays Bama at home (and Bama gets to see if Ole Miss is really bad now), and UK has to play against Arkansas at their place. Everyone on UF should be healthy by the UK game, too, hopefully.

Hm...I hope UT can beat UGA Saturday, now that they have their point guard back.

Silkworm

UF shouldn't have to worry much about UK or Bama. UF plays Bama at home (and Bama gets to see if Ole Miss is really bad now), and UK has to play against Arkansas at their place. Everyone on UF should be healthy by the UK game, too, hopefully.

Hm...I hope UT can beat UGA Saturday, now that they have their point guard back.

True, UF shouldn't have too much to worry about especially since they get Bama at home and UK has to go into Fayetteville, but still, that it's this close at this point... *grumble* I hope Boynton gets out of his year long funk before the post season but I'm not holding my breath.

lush

UF will still win the SEC. Hope Prather is alright, couldn't really tell what happened but I saw him leaking.

We're officially on the bubble now it seems. We still need three more wins though I think. @UGA is a trap game.

bachikarn

I don't think UF is soft. We played soft tonight though. You guys foul like crazy without getting called though. Stokes was getting away with murder.

Lyude77

We're officially on the bubble now it seems. We still need three more wins though I think. @UGA is a trap game.

Yeah, I think Lunardi has UT as first out. I agree, and I wouldn't count on the SEC tournament based on history, haha.

UGA would definitely be a trap game if we hadn't already lost to them this year - I'm less concerned about the players being unready and more concerned about it being an away game against someone other than Miss St. Hopefully Richardson can contain Caldwell-Pope without fouling. I'm glad the game is on Saturday instead of Friday so that Golden can rest up.

I don't think UF is soft. We played soft tonight though. You guys foul like crazy without getting called though. Stokes was getting away with murder.
Yeah, Young always seems to play poorly/soft against UT. He should be getting more than 5 rebounds in 29 minutes...UF misses Yeguette a lot.

It was the magic of home games, at least in the second half. I thought first half was even, if not a bit favoring UF (though Indiana blocked 9:00 of it).

lush

Florida has always looked like more of a finesse team to me and this is only amplified late in tough games. I mean honestly, how many times did Florida go inside to Young in the 2nd? Florida just collapses late in tight games. Maybe I'm just used to watching Tennessee play physical/scrappy all the time.

Stokes is a man child. The refs were calling him for everything the first half of the year. Cuonzo finally went to SEC about it and they've completely changed how they call him. I think he still has some control issues with his body but I don't think he's getting away with murder too much. He's just a monster on the offensive glass. Blows my mind that he just turned 19 last month.

I wouldn't count on the SEC tournament based on history, haha.

Consistently disappointing isn't it? Should be wide open this year.

Top Bottom