• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

bluemax

Banned
NIT is our only hope as well, but I lost some hope when I found out no team with a losing record has ever made the NIT. We're probably boned there.

We have a losing record too :( We can finish the regular season at 16-15 if we win out, but then there's the conference tournament...

We have a losing record too :( We can finish the regular season at 16-15 if we win out, but then there's the conference tournament...

At least your AD has enough sense of accountability to fire your coach mid season. That program has been stagnant for years, granted you had sanctions to deal with. Probably Lil Romeo's fault

Fjordson

Just got back from the UK game.

Boring game(I'll take a boring blowout win 100 of 100 times though), but the ring ceremony at halftime was pretty nice to see. Love how cal is always bringing back the past players, I imagine this one was pretty weird for him given that team beat him in the final four.
That's pretty cool. Didn't catch any of that on TV (had to stream it on ESPN 3 on my iPad so they switched to other games during the half).

Also, Wiggins was at the game, right?

Losing Varnado and Dee Bost was kinda huge. Sidney was a big loss too, but arguably for the better. Losing their 3 most talented players was bigger for them than Vanderbilt because they have less depth (and that's saying something - Vandy's pretty awful right now).
Ah okay, makes sense. And I forgot Dee Bost was on Miss St. He was definitely a good player.

Edit: wow, I just saw a fucking massive dunk on Sportscenter from Chane Behanan of Louisville against Depaul. Please tell me they didn't call a charge there (defender was well inside the restricted circle).

lush

Edit: wow, I just saw a fucking massive dunk on Sportscenter from Chane Behanan of Louisville against Depaul. Please tell me they didn't call a charge there (defender was well inside the restricted circle).

Yikes. They called a charge and somehow overturned it apparently.

alstein

NIT is our only hope as well, but I lost some hope when I found out no team with a losing record has ever made the NIT. We're probably boned there.

the NIT banned losing records until they got bought out by the NCAA, and then they moved to a selection commitee with guaranteed bids for teams that win their conference regular-season. The Pac-12 actually got an NIT auto-bid last year.

USC fans, just try to win your conference tournament- 4 games in 4 days you deserve to get in.

Fjordson

UK could be NIT-bound also. Think we need to win 2 of our next 3 games to be safely in (unless of course we somehow manage to win the SEC tourney).

Talon

Michigan just waits for Trey Burke to pull magic out of his hat whenever they're in trouble, it seems like.

But it doesn't help that Robinson choked on that layup.

UK could be NIT-bound also. Think we need to win 2 of our next 3 games to be safely in (unless of course we somehow manage to win the SEC tourney).

90% likely UK is going to the NIT, IMO. SEC is kinda weak this year. I think they need a good Tourney showing to get in.

Fjordson

90% likely UK is going to the NIT, IMO. SEC is kinda weak this year. I think they need a good Tourney showing to get in.
I think we're in an okay position at the moment. Lunardi actually has us safely in and off of the "last 4 in" list as of late last night. I feel like if we take care of business against Georgia and then somehow win at Arkansas or beat Florida at Rupp then we're definitely in. Certainly not easy, but not impossible.

DominoKid

jesus christ adidas teams looking like a bunch of clowns in the NCAAT. sleeves? zubas shorts? good lord.
proxy.jpg

devilhawk

Normally it is only Baylor and Louisville that wear them. KU SID has already commented that they haven't committed to wearing them.

Fjordson

jesus christ adidas teams looking like a bunch of clowns in the NCAAT. sleeves? zubas shorts? good lord.
proxy.jpg
Oh wow. Those shorts!

Baylor and Louisville's are okay as far as the colours, but Cincy and Kansas look pretty bad. The shorts are an eyesore.

Edit: Notre Dame's isn't terrible either I guess, though aren't their colours blue and gold?

Oh wow. Those shorts!

Baylor and Louisville's are okay as far as the colours, but Cincy and Kansas look pretty bad. The shorts are an eyesore.

Edit: Notre Dame's isn't terrible either I guess, though aren't their colours blue and gold?

I like ND's. If the shorts were normal, they'd be kinda cool.

TheNatural

My Member!
proxy.jpg

It worked last year for us with that ultra light jersey. We broke them out in the Big East tourney after losing to South Florida and Syracuse, and then won 8 straight winning the conference tourney and making the Final Four.

Baylor also went pretty nuts too if I recall with those jerseys.

W1SSY

Indiana passed on wearing the new unis. Probably a good idea because they look horrible and the whole tradition thing.

devilhawk

Looks like KU will wear them only for a game in the BigXII tourny and not any games in the NCAA. But we will have to wear whites as the high seed. So, I'm not sure.

W1SSY

Tradition is overrated. Adidas just makes some ugly ass sports stuff. Now their lifestyle stuff is waaaaaay better than Nike.
At Indiana they may just kill the AD that changes the uniforms. If you go back and look at the uniform through history the only major change is the shorts.

jjasper

We will if we make the tourney.

I hope not. It would probably be a public safety concern due to possible blindness in the stands and seizures from all the people watching at home.

The tops and sleeves are fine though so maybe the school could come to some agreement.

thefro

Tradition is overrated. Adidas just makes some ugly ass sports stuff. Now their lifestyle stuff is waaaaaay better than Nike.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2013/02/13/glass-alternate-jerseys-are-highly-unlikely/

There has been some speculation in recent weeks that a number of college programs, including Indiana, may occasionally wear alternate jerseys with sleeves provided by Adidas. The NBA’s Golden State Warriors will be the first to wear the new uniforms in their Feb. 22 game against the San Antonio Spurs.
But while Indiana Athletics Director Fred Glass admitted the school had been approached by Adidas about the jerseys, he said it is “highly unlikely” the Hoosiers will ever wear any form of an alternate uniform.
“What they like to do is make opportunities available to wear different kinds of uniforms,” Glass told Inside the Hall, “and we’ve had multiple opportunities to wear alternative uniforms, and we’ve respectfully passed on that. … I would never say never, but I think it’s highly unlikely that we’ll be doing that.”
A number of college and pro teams are trying the new jerseys out. We’ve seen schools such as Michigan State and Ohio State wear alternate uniforms in recent weeks.
So why not Indiana?
“The IU men’s basketball uniform is iconic,” Glass said. “I have a poster on my wall that is kind of like a fake group photo of all the All Americans that we’ve had in basketball, and the jerseys, whether its from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s or 2000s, pretty much look the same.”

Talon

UNC and Indiana are two schools that shouldn't ever change their uniforms.

That 2008 UNC team looked stupid as hell with the crew-cut neckline.

jjasper

The Big East's seven departing Catholic schools are expected to start their own league next season and will keep the Big East Conference name, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil.

Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.

The Catholic 7's exit from the Big East is being expedited by Fox Sports Network. The network initially contacted the seven schools and laid the groundwork for them to leave the Big East with the promise of a lucrative media-rights deal, a source said.

Fox Sports Network is expected to announce the addition of the Catholic 7/Big East basketball league Tuesday in New York as part of the network's news conference announcing the addition of Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 channels.

Fox Sports Network's deal with the Catholic 7 is expected to be worth at least $3 million annually per school, sources said.

Probably a nice pay raise for Butler and Xavier and will get them a lot more exposure. So what will the Big East leftovers be called Conference USA?

TheNatural

My Member!
Probably a nice pay raise for Butler and Xavier and will get them a lot more exposure. So what will the Big East leftovers be called Conference USA?

Good move, that's going to be a hell of a basketball league.

Also, we're going to be fucked next year. Chances are that Notre Dame leave a year early because the only real scheduling hangup is for football, which they're not playing in, and Notre Dame just wanted to stick around to help out the Catholic 7.

So we'll be playing a crappy schedule for the most part, as well as having to deal with changing all our logos to the new name for a year.

Get us the fuck out, go to the Big Ten Maryland, fuck.

DominoKid

devin booker is a fat, shittier version of his brother. clemson is gutter trash.
dex can actually jump now. i'm glad the 4 guard lineup has made him useful again. it felt weird to dread seeing a senior 4 year starter.

Fjordson

So I guess some of UNC's early struggles were simply a result of Roy being clueless about what his best lineup was? They look much better lately.

(this has probably already been broken down by UNC fans long ago, but I haven't seen many of their games this year)

DominoKid

yep. coming into the season i think most folks hoped for the 4/1 lineup. i was looking forward to seeing us bomb it all season.
roy stuck w/ the 3/2 so we started hoping for pj to replace one of dex/paige because we figured roy was stubborn enough to stick w/ the 3/2.
took long enough for roy to come around. i guess he accepted that hubert sucks and james/johnson arent ready for primetime yet.

i can't help but wonder what our record would be if he had went the 4/1 all along. i don't think we'd beat indiana or @duke regardless, but i think we could get a few more wins out of butler, @texas (seriously wtf?), miami, @virginia and @state.

Fjordson

Yeah, don't think there's any doubt some of those losses are erased if Roy had switched things up quicker.

Edit: whoa, Virginia beating Duke, 15-4.

Top Bottom