• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

ToxicAdam

I didn't even know this thread exists.

I was going to make a thread to say how much I have been enjoying this season. It's probably been since the mid-90's when the last time I had as much fun watching a season . The basketball skill level isn't as high, but every single time I flip on a game it has been entertaining as hell.

So I assume you've seen this since you posted that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GStmH0Xlcs

Crean is smart to take advantage of a cockamamy rule by the NCAA. The overreaction to contact above the head in basketball, even if it is accidental, potentially results in a flagrant 1 (two shots and the ball). The rule is -

Flagrant 1 or Flagrant 2 Fouls for Elbow Contact
Officials are reminded that there can be incidental contact with the elbow above or below the shoulders; swinging of the elbow is required for the foul to be classified as a flagrant 1 or 2 foul. Some incidental contact is being penalized improperly.

Elbow contact is then defined in Section 36, Articles 6 and 7 as such:
Art. 6. It shall be illegal to extend one's elbow(s) and make contact when one's:
a. Hands are on one's hips;
b. Hands are held near one's chest; or
c. Arms are held approximately horizontal to the playing court when not holding the ball. 
Note: These illegal positions are most commonly used when rebounding, screening or in the various aspects of post play.

Art. 7. The following shall be considered excessive swinging:
a. When arm(s) and elbow(s) are swung about while using the shoulders as pivots, and the speed of the extended arm(s) and elbow(s) exceeds that of the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot; or
b. When the speed and vigor with which the arm(s) and elbow(s) are swung is such that injury could result if another player were contacted.

I've seen far too many games where a flagrant 1 was called on a player for contact above the head via elbow that I thought was incidental. Last year, in the tournament against VCU, Sheehey got called for a flagrant 1 for what was an incidental elbow to the VCU player's face, it was a small amount of contact. The real crime was that the VCU player was completely in Sheehey's airspace, totally invaded it, Sheehey had a right to that space, and yet they called the flagrant 1. Even though the VCU player essentially was responsible for getting hit. VCU got two shots and the ball, and it could have cost IU the game (thankfully VCU's last second 3 rimmed out).

It's a bad rule, or it's at least being enforced inconsistently.

So if anything, Crean coaching IU to draw an elbow was smart. He's taking advantage of how inconsistently the rule has been enforced since its inception. Perhaps making a mockery of the rule will result in the powers that be realizing that the rule needs to be reexamined. Never mind the sometimes excessive delays by going to the monitor.

Tom Izzo had some pointed things to say about the rule back in the beginning of the season - "I think what's mystifying about it is, the way it was explained to me, there's a flagrant 1 and a flagrant 2," Izzo said. "A flagrant 2 is if you lead with your elbow. A flagrant 1 is if it's an accidental elbow."
"So, again, I think it's a ridiculous rule. I mean, the flagrant 2, if you lead with your elbow and it's intentional, I got no problem with it. But if we're looking at accidental things now, Nix had the ball above his head (in the game against Boise State), what is he supposed to do?"

More here at the link -
http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/11/michigan_states_tom_izzo_says_5.html

TheNatural

My Member!
Upset avoidance Wednesday. UCONN and GTown is the only game where a ranked team may have a good chance of falling. But Michigan and Penn State is a 3 point game at half.

jakncoke

Banned
If Pitt loses to USF.. I dont even know..

edit; up 1 at half lol

edit; game flow is hilarious scoring 16 straight b4 they scored again

HOLD ON PENN STATE. DO IT.

Nah, not even close to what TCU did to Kansas.

Theyre pretty much on the same level, still think this loss is slightly worse than the TCU loss. Michigan is a better team than KU, its later in the season, and Michigan has a sizable lead at big time makes this a bigger upset.

TheNatural

My Member!
Theyre pretty much on the same level, still think this loss is slightly worse than the TCU loss. Michigan is a better team, its later in the season, and Michigan has a sizable lead at big time makes this a bigger upset.

Damn, I didn't know Penn State has lost 14 in a row. I knew they were bad but not THAT bad.

Totally nevermind then. Those are both really horrible losses for top 10 teams. Granted, we lost by fucking 30 at Providence last year, but they weren't as bad as these teams.

DominoKid

i wouldnt put much stock in that loss if i were a michigan fan (if only for my own sanity). i've seen too many headscratcher losses under Roy. sometimes shit happens.

Damn, I didn't know Penn State has lost 14 in a row. I knew they were bad but not THAT bad.

Totally nevermind then. Those are both really horrible losses for top 10 teams. Granted, we lost by fucking 30 at Providence last year, but they weren't as bad as these teams.

They actually lose 18 in a row big 10 games if you go back to last year.

TheNatural

My Member!
i wouldnt put much stock in that loss if i were a michigan fan (if only for my own sanity). i've seen too many headscratcher losses under Roy. sometimes shit happens.

UNC isn't two decades removed from relevancy though. I'm more inclined to believe a shit happens loss with a high ranked UNC over this debacle with Michigan.

devilhawk

Not only the TCU and PSU losses but think of the Top 10 teams getting blown out too - Duke, Florida, and Miami. Miami also has some awful earlier losses.

TheNatural

My Member!
Not only the TCU and PSU losses but think of the Top 10 teams getting blown out too - Duke, Florida, and Miami. Miami also has some awful earlier losses.

Makes me feel less bad about our resume. 5 losses, and 3 were literally on the last possession. And in the other two we didn't have Dieng for Duke and missed like 30 FT's in the Nova game. And they still went down to the last couple minutes. No bad or blowout losses.

Silkworm

Otto for 3????!?!??! Sheesh!

Huge offensive rebound for the Huskies!! Wooo!!

And then UConn gives it right back. Barf! And Hoyas hit a 3pt. *Sigh*

Fjordson

Solid win for UK, but why is Miss. St. so bad? I'm almost positive they were up on us at halftime last year. Guess they graduated a bunch of players or something.

Wait, did Michigan really just lose to Penn State, AKA previously winless in conference play?

funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif

Lyude77

Solid win for UK, but why is Miss. St. so bad? I'm almost positive they were up on us at halftime last year. Guess they graduated a bunch of players or something.

Losing Varnado and Dee Bost was kinda huge. Sidney was a big loss too, but arguably for the better. Losing their 3 most talented players was bigger for them than Vanderbilt because they have less depth (and that's saying something - Vandy's pretty awful right now).

iamblades

Just got back from the UK game.

Boring game(I'll take a boring blowout win 100 of 100 times though), but the ring ceremony at halftime was pretty nice to see. Love how cal is always bringing back the past players, I imagine this one was pretty weird for him given that team beat him in the final four.

Top Bottom