• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NDS Operating System Details - Instant Sleep mode

Brofist

ourumov said:
SNES Emulator...Let me touch you...

Would be sweet, although I can't imagine the DS having that big of a potential homebrew scene. The PSP has the potential to be the Xbox of handhelds however :)

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
Would be sweet, although I can't imagine the DS having that big of a potential homebrew scene. The PSP has the potential to be the Xbox of handhelds however :)
No, Zodiac is already the Xbox of handhelds. GP32 was the DC of handhelds. ;)

PSP has too many unknowns pertaining to MS playback right now. PS1/2 didn't exactly have booming emulation scenes though...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The hardthing won't be getting the homebrew stuff up and running per say. The real challenge will be getting a program that will mimick another DS from your wireless card and get your real DS to think it is simply downloading a multiplayer game's code from another DS.

In that fashion you would be able to download homebrew stuff from the web onto your PC then beam it to your DS. Whatever encryption etc. nintendo uses will likely be heavily guarded. To me that will be the big step.

Matlock said:
I believe they have a system that has that.

And it's name is...N-Gage.

Too bad I don't have other uses for an N-Gage, and at that price, I may as well buy a standalone MP3 player. I'm getting an NDS already, so if someone DID haxor teh DS to play MP3s through an SD card, it'd just be that much less to carry around. :p

Now, if the PSP had a fucking MINIDISC laser and supports MP3s natively (have they confirmed that the MP3 "support" is native, not just using SonicStage or some crap to convert it to ATRAC?) I'd be all over that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dragona Akehi said:
Too bad I don't have other uses for an N-Gage, and at that price, I may as well buy a standalone MP3 player. I'm getting an NDS already, so if someone DID haxor teh DS to play MP3s through an SD card, it'd just be that much less to carry around. :p

Now, if the PSP had a fucking MINIDISC laser and supports MP3s natively (have they confirmed that the MP3 "support" is native, not just using SonicStage or some crap to convert it to ATRAC?) I'd be all over that.

Yes, they have confirmed that the VME supports ATRAC3+ and MP3 putting both codecs in the latest PSP specs: Sony's stance on MP3 recently has changed a lot (before the latest chainge of view on MP3 happened at Sony, the specs for the PSP read only ATRAC3+ in regards to audio playback).

http://psp.ign.com/articles/552/552434p1.html

You will have to go through SonicStage 2.x, but it will not have to transcode if you esplicitely want to export your MP3's to the PSP's Memory Stick IMHO.

Sonic Stage sucks, and fuck memory sticks. :p Seriously, it's already a bajillion dollars, let it be compatible with bloody MiniDiscs and let me burn my songs in VBR MP3 format!!!

Still actual MP3 support is good.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dragona Akehi said:
Sonic Stage sucks, and fuck memory sticks. :p

FEAR MY DISAPPROVAL!!!!

*Panajev intensively disapproves Dragona's judgement*

:(

I cannot do that... I am too weak, plus she is way too stubborn :p.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gek54 said:
COOL! GRAPHICAL ICONS! WHOA!
IT'S BEEN DONE

GeOS.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I highly doubt it would be mandatory to use Sonic Stage to copy files such as MP3 to a memory stick. I know I don't have to use anything to copy files to and from my photo camera, for example (I just use the windows explorer, like with any other external or internal drive)

aoi tsuki

Marconelly said:
I highly doubt it would be mandatory to use Sonic Stage to copy files such as MP3 to a memory stick. I know I don't have to use anything to copy files to and from my photo camera, for example (I just use the windows explorer, like with any other external or internal drive)
If they're structured like the files on a Memory Stick are for my Clie, you can just drag the files to the /MSAUDIO folder IIRC.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Read the IGN article "they doubt just any file can be copied over".

Still it is all a software measure which can and, if the PSP is succesful enough, will surely be cracked.

lisadsk.gif

Apple Lisa ^^...

anyone remember GEM for DOS? It was a form of GUI/faux-OS that was really cheap and better than windows until Windows 3.. I used to love that stuff. All I did was play with that, Basic, Q Basic, play Digger and mess about on Paint Brush and some cartoons thing. Might have been called Cartoons in fact :\

aoi tsuki

Panajev2001a said:
Read the IGN article "they doubt just any file can be copied over".

Still it is all a software measure which can and, if the PSP is succesful enough, will surely be cracked.

No, they say that

The specs also reconfirm the ability to play MP3 audio in addition to ATRAC3plus audio -- although this doesn't specifically say that the handheld will be able to read any MP3 file off the memory stick, it's a fairly clear indication"
Still, i'm waiting for the catch. Audio Player on Clies don't play VBR MP3s, and while i doubt that would be the case on the PSP, knowing Sony there'll be something they'll employ to make ATRAC3+ more used. Possibly limited the bitrate of MP3s played back, versus no limitations on ATRAC3+.

hooo

boooy
aoi tsuki said:
And risk cannibalizing their memory card sales? SDs are so much cheaper than memory cards it isn't even funny.
The DS doesn't use memory cards. =P All games will have writable space on the card. It's quite possible that they may just release a totally writable card for the DS like they did for the snes and like they're doing for the N64 thing in china.

October 05, 2004 - According to development sources working with the system, the Nintendo DS will feature a very intuitive start-up menu system that will give players easy touch-screen control to choose the game to play.

This menu system will enable gamers to boot a Nintendo DS or Game Boy Advance title, load up Picto-Chat, download a wireless program from specific sources, as well as other features

Also of note: each Nintendo DS game will be represented by its own graphical icon created by the developer of the game, similar to the graphic on a GameCube memory card file

Starting to sound a bit TOO much like GameCom...

I've finally tried the NDS' os on non-final hardware.

It's fuckin sweet.

Especially where they've inserted the stylus(dunno if I can tell.)

Be assured, it's nicely integrated.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Bookerman said:

It's fuckin sweet.

Speak.

The Bookerman said:

It's fuckin sweet.

yes you can tell us you got my okay
:)

krypt0nian said:
Yes as my game.COM had two screens, WiFi, a stylus, a built in mic, stylus control and Nintendo games.

It had a stylus, and allowed graphic game icons!1!1!

I'm just saying some of this stuff sounds rather familiar.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Bookerman said:

It's fuckin sweet.

OS = Operating System /= ergonomics

Top Bottom