• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

ACH1LL3US

Has anyone noticed graphical glitches in the PS4 version of this game, other than the framerate stutter thing?

It seems to happen in certain specific sections of the map, the mountains (or other background elements) will be green/purple when they first pop-in. Looks similar to what happens when a graphics card is about to die, which is why I'm worried about it.

I haven't noticed any graphics glitches in other games (I also own Killzone and FIFA), so I'm wondering if it's a bug within the game or my PS4 is having issues.

I am sooo glad you mention this!! I thought my ps4 was gonna die! It looks exactly like if you overclock a gpu too much and you get data corruption.

I hope a patch for the game comes out and gets rid of the stutter that they are already aware of and the above graphics corruption.

- The amount of cops out in the wild is absolutely insane, and I say that as someone who has only played as a cop. Even as a cop they just get in the way, and have screwed me out of a chase far more times than actually helped me, and they are absolutely everywhere.

Yeah this. I'm playing as cop and I get screwed over by them more than they help me. I can't even count how many times they reverse into you like fucking idiots while you're going straight at full speed.

Zafir

To UK buyers, are you meant to get the Ultimate Cop Pack in the box, or is it emailed?

All the images I've seen say that it's in the box. However when I've contacted Amazon Support, the woman says it's emailed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know it's not exactly Falcon 3.0, but does this game have a manual of any sort? I tried online, in-game, etc. and all I can find is random non-comprehensive tips and the like.

NIN90

So I've seen some footage of this game (mainly the Giantbomb streams) but are there actually, you know, race events in this game? Or just ticking of their check mark list of challenges and challenging someone driving around to a head-to-head race?

Newlove

So I've seen some footage of this game (mainly the Giantbomb streams) but are there actually, you know, race events in this game? Or just ticking of their check mark list of challenges and challenging someone driving around to a head-to-head race?

There's no separate race events you choose from the menu, its all part of the open world like every other event. You drive up to them, press L1 and it begins (even if you're being pursued, which is most of the time).

Human_me

To UK buyers, are you meant to get the Ultimate Cop Pack in the box, or is it emailed?

All the images I've seen say that it's in the box. However when I've contacted Amazon Support, the woman says it's emailed.

I bought 2 copies of the game, one from Amazon and one from GAME.

The GAME copy I got had the Ultimate Copy pack inside the case.

The Amazon one is a Christmas gift for my friend and it doesn't say you get the Ultimate Cop Pack.

I believe amazon has just given everyone the standard edition of the game, Sorry I don't think you are getting it.

Unfortunately pure racing is really not a thing in this game. The cops are involved at almost every turn.

Zafir

I bought 2 copies of the game, one from Amazon and one from GAME.

The GAME copy I got had the Ultimate Copy pack inside the case.

The Amazon one is a Christmas gift for my friend and it doesn't say you get the Ultimate Cop Pack.

I believe amazon has just given everyone the standard edition of the game, Sorry I don't think you are getting it.
Oh I'm already in the process of complaining.

I said when I complained before I think they screwed up and they said wait a day to get it through email. Which I didn't believe, but I had no choice but to agree since the woman was useless and wasn't going to do anything else.

Will complain again till they do something about it. My order specifically said Limited Edition.

The closest you will get to "racing" without being chased by the cops is being in the cop career and doing "Rapid Responses." You are racing against just time, but at least there are no cops chasing you.

Another option is to be in the racer career and set your pursuit tech to shockwave and your second one to Jammer. Shockwave pushes everyone away from you. Upgrade it once or twice and you won't have any issues. Jammer stops anyone from locking on you and using an EMP from a distance.

With those two set, no one will get close enough to you to annoy you.

Banned
Oh I'm already in the process of complaining.

I said when I complained before I think they screwed up and they said wait a day to get it through email. Which I didn't believe, but I had no choice but to agree since the woman was useless and wasn't going to do anything else.

Will complain again till they do something about it. My order specifically said Limited Edition.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, Ordered the LE from amazon (Xbox One) and they sent out the standard edition.

If you get anywhere with complaining please let us know!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm trying to connect via the need for speed network app to play over watch with my son, but he isn't showing up on my map. He is on my PSN friends list, should he show up immediately?

Edit: an no way to set it to only she friends in the game? Seems its single player only (private) or fully online with 5 other random people?

Zafir

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, Ordered the LE from game (Xbox One) and they sent out the standard edition.

If you get anywhere with complaining please let us know!
Well, mine was from Amazon, so I'm not sure about GAME.

I've had mixed responses from Amazon so far, between a replacement or them contacting the fulfilment centre to see what's up.

Edit: Just saw you edited to say Amazon, so the first part can be ignored. :p

I'll let you know what happens. It's probably worth you contacting too though, the more people complain the better so they know it's an actual issue affecting many people.

If any of you guys were in my stream, I apologise for how blue I must of turned the sky. That said this game is amazingly fun. Im waiting for the other shoe to drop because it is a EA game after all.

So far so good though.

Im only on a low level but the biggest tip i can give anyone is dont be afraid to change direction, even in a race. The map is small enough that even if you go off the beaten path, if you stay going in the general direction, you should keep up.

Handbrake turns and Nos while drifting are your best defenses against pursuit tech too.

I am sooo glad you mention this!! I thought my ps4 was gonna die! It looks exactly like if you overclock a gpu too much and you get data corruption.

I hope a patch for the game comes out and gets rid of the stutter that they are already aware of and the above graphics corruption.

Seconded. I was getting afraid that my PS4 was fucked but when i touched it, it was way too cool to have a GPU problem. Still it is concerning.

mreddie

Playing the PS3 version, looks good, there's some pop up issues and for one second, I thought my Corvette was buried in sand but overall, I'm enjoying this.

It's almost like High Stakes got remade without racing for pink slips.

Shame one of my biggest issues is that the car list is divided between cops and racers.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
After getting used to the police brutality(took losing 100,000 twice) Im actually really enjoying this game.

I think that extra tension of being at a high heat actually makes it more exciting.
Ive gambled so hard choosing to do another event before finding a safe house, sometimes it pays off, sometimes you lose quarter of a million SP.

Just curious about two things.
One anyone else have the NOS effect only last a few seconds before, all you see is the distortion(as in the blue flames disappear but you can see the distortion effect) Dont know if its a glitch or its supposed to look like that.

Also, my 458 Spider seems to randomly choose when to put its roof up, i thought it was linked to the weather, but ive sat in rain and nothing, then other times ill start a pursuit and it will just pop up.
Anyone know what actually triggers the roof and/or if theres a button to put it up?

So I bought the PS3 version and received my copy this morning, get it started and finish the tutorials and then ten minutes later the damn game freezes while chasing a group of racers one was another player and the rest AI. I quit for a couple hours before going back doesn't freeze but then get frequent disconnects where every damn time I lose the SP I gained, fed up I quit. Fuckin' EA still hasn't learned their lesson with bullshit. Next time I go back I'm going to just do a private or offline session or whatever so I don't have to rely on someone else hosting the damn game.

Then there's my issues with the damn camera that's too low behind vehicles, especially cop cars with the sirens/lights on top. Only paid $35 but I'm starting to regret it, enjoyed MW2012 and HP2010 a lot more so far.

How am I supposed to destroy a cop ?

This game seems really hard for me

Constantly hit them with pursuit tech.

I do it a cheesey way. There is an interceptor mission on the very top of the map just right of center. You start in a little "gully". When the interceptor starts I back up, let the cop pass to just in front of me then turn on my upgraded shock wave and hit him. Drive forward a couple hundred feet, E-Brake and turn around, Charge him and ram him. Drive forward a couple hundred feet, E-brake and turn around, turn on shockwave and ram him again.

The cop will spend most of his time K-turning in this gully to try and turn around, meanwhile I'm hitting him with shockwave and ramming the shit out of him.

Xtars

So i bought this as a last minute decision at the PS4 release here in Sweden and boy did it surprise me! This is without a doubt the game I'm enjoying the most at the moment.

The world is beautiful and so big. The freedom to go anywhere you want and just roam around is great and being able to jump in to events on the go. Also the "seamless multiplayer" is a nice addition that can take you by surprise when other players just show up and might ruin your day.

This game is so damn fun, i highly recommend it to anyone who enjoy car/racing games. This is the best Need for Speed in years, it's just awesome, great job and well done to EA's Ghost dev team.

BaVDlBSIYAAYDvw.jpg:large

I know it's not exactly Falcon 3.0, but does this game have a manual of any sort? I tried online, in-game, etc. and all I can find is random non-comprehensive tips and the like.

There is an in-game manual. This is gonna be slightly off since I'm not sitting in front of the game right now, but when you are in the garage, you can page through some options with the trigger or bumper. One of those pages has a "Help" option or something like that. The manual is available as a sub-option there. It's not super comprehensive.

Has anyone noticed graphical glitches in the PS4 version of this game, other than the framerate stutter thing?

It seems to happen in certain specific sections of the map, the mountains (or other background elements) will be green/purple when they first pop-in. Looks similar to what happens when a graphics card is about to die, which is why I'm worried about it.

I haven't noticed any graphics glitches in other games (I also own Killzone and FIFA), so I'm wondering if it's a bug within the game or my PS4 is having issues.

This is a known aspect of the game. Sometimes the engine just can't keep up.

What I'm curious about is whether the XB1 version exhibits the same problem.

I've removed the game from my PS4 and it will not be going back in. Besides always having 5 other players in your world, which adds virtually nothing, it's a very archaic racer that happens to look pretty. I cannot believe there are no events to bring the players together or something that makes it being online have meaning. Once it set in that the online was bullshit, it just felt like being chased into a lake with a million bees after you.

Eusis

Yeah, the more I think about it the online functionality seems like a base reaction to the idea of online being increasingly popular, ignoring WHY it worked out for some games. It might even be at a disadvantage versus other racers that just paired you up immediately when starting a match, which hilarious means Grand Theft Auto Online had a better idea of how to go about it.

The way the digital installation of this game is done is atrocious.

I don't know about the xbox but it really is bullshit on the ps4. Having an unskippable tutorial is bad enough without it being the only thing you can play during install

I guess people are just really impatient, but I just look at these new consoles as I did the 360 game installs. I just wait until they're complete to avoid any headaches or problems. With the PS4 that means I pop in the disc for the first time, and literally walk away, and I come back in 10 minutes and you can touch the console and immediately tell if the disc is still spinning. If the console isn't slightly vibrating you know the game is completely installed.

I've removed the game from my PS4 and it will not be going back in. Besides always having 5 other players in your world, which adds virtually nothing, it's a very archaic racer that happens to look pretty. I cannot believe there are no events to bring the players together or something that makes it being online have meaning. Once it set in that the online was bullshit, it just felt like being chased into a lake with a million bees after you.

Did you know you can completely turn off the online functionality of this game? That's what I did minutes after booting it up for the first time.

Did you know you can completely turn off the online functionality of this game? That's what I did minutes after booting it up for the first time.
It doesn't bother me that it's on. It bothers me that the game feels like a lot of dev time went into making it work the way it does but there is not reward for it. The world shouldn't feel dead. Tracking people down, full races with living people, it's possible I guess but it's not easy by any means. These guys are in my world playing but there is about zero incentive to meet up. What is the point?

If I turned it off, it'd be exactly the same game.

ParityBit

I guess people are just really impatient, but I just look at these new consoles as I did the 360 game installs. I just wait until they're complete to avoid any headaches or problems. With the PS4 that means I pop in the disc for the first time, and literally walk away, and I come back in 10 minutes and you can touch the console and immediately tell if the disc is still spinning. If the console isn't slightly vibrating you know the game is completely installed.

How do you turn it off? Most of the time my game can't find a server and hangs ....

Zafir

How do you turn it off? Most of the time my game can't find a server and hangs ....
Go into settings, online(I think) and then there's an option to create private session. You should also change the matchmaking to private session as well, so it creates a private session in the future when you load the game up.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I don't get why they didn't just give us the tutorial map to mess around in during the 10GB install and having it within the game didn't allow one to play other games while it downloaded, really stupid. Also the amount of unkskippable talking the game does is annoying.

But when it finally gets going it is really, really fun. I don't even like online games at all, but I see myself enjoying this. Really fun to take down racers, it scratches my Burnout itch which is a game I haven't played since PSP. I'm sure the racer mode is just as fun, GTA style escaping.

Plenty of last minute, sweaty, down to the last bar of health fun to be had from this game. That's where most of the fun will lie.

On the subject of the game world feeling dead and empty, I'm gonna play sneaky devil's advocate here and say: "But it's set in the countryside".

So any news on a patch for the frame pacing issues?

I've been tweeting the lead engine guy about it, and he's been responding. As of a week ago the patch wasn't even submitted for certification, which usually adds at least another week on top of that date.

So I just tweeted him again now, to see if there is any update. I'll report back if there is any new info.

ACH1LL3US

I've been tweeting the lead engine guy about it, and he's been responding. As of a week ago the patch wasn't even submitted for certification, which usually adds at least another week on top of that date.

So I just tweeted him again now, to see if there is any update. I'll report back if there is any new info.

Thanks for doing that!!

I feel this frame pacing issue is making the game look much less smooth than it should for locked 30 fps, do you agree? What is your take on the frame pacing issue?

Thanks for doing that!!

I feel this frame pacing issue is making the game look much less smooth than it should for locked 30 fps, do you agree? What is your take on the frame pacing issue?

My take is it sucks. To the point where I booted the game up two weeks ago and played for 30 minutes before stopping. It annoyed me enough that I was having a hard time enjoying it.

At this point I'm just waiting til the patch arrives to basically start over. I'll enjoy the game far more when it's running smoothly

ACH1LL3US

My take is it sucks. To the point where I booted the game up two weeks ago and played for 30 minutes before stopping. It annoyed me enough that I was having a hard time enjoying it.

At this point I'm just waiting til the patch arrives to basically start over. I'll enjoy the game far more when it's running smoothly

Yea, I am rank 20 in the racer mode and have enjoyed it alot BUT I think once they fix the frame pacing issue it will be more enjoyable!

Frame pacing is looks like frame drops right? It would be happening to every frame right?

This game is fun but buggy as hell on the Xbone. Sometimes after a crash, I'll be placed on the track in a cinematic and my car will just take off for a few seconds. Then, the game will put me back on the right track for the event I'm in. Problem is you lose like 10 seconds every time this happens, and I usually end up having to restart the race.

Also, sometimes randomly after a crash in the middle of the event, the game will cancel the event overall for no reason. I've also lost hours of progress because the game decided not to autosave after playing for a while.

Anyway, fun, challenging game, but not certainly not without its faults.

Top Bottom