• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

Yea, I am rank 20 in the racer mode and have enjoyed it alot BUT I think once they fix the frame pacing issue it will be more enjoyable!

Frame pacing is looks like frame drops right? It would be happening to every frame right?

It's not happening constantly, but it happens very frequently. I would say I was noticing the stuttering every 15-20 seconds probably.

This game is fun but buggy as hell on the Xbone. Sometimes after a crash, I'll be placed on the track in a cinematic and my car will just take off for a few seconds. Then, the game will put me back on the right track for the event I'm in. Problem is you lose like 10 seconds every time this happens, and I usually end up having to restart the race.

Also, sometimes randomly after a crash in the middle of the event, the game will cancel the event overall for no reason. I've also lost hours of progress because the game decided not to autosave after playing for a while.

Anyway, fun, challenging game, but not certainly not without its faults.

Your first issue has happened to me a few times. Maybe 3 or 4 and I've been playing it a ton. Your second issue has never happened to me.

I'm going through and completing every speedlist for the racers and buying every car, starting from most expensive. I bought the Pagani and dumped so much money into it and that car SUCKS! I hate it.

My favorite racers are Lambo Aventador and Enzo Ferrari.

The game is fun and much better than Most Wanted (probably to me the worst Criterian games for me). The tag on on-line aspect is terrible that couple with the Peer 2 Peer bullshit. The constant host migration and lost connection kill what little on-line have to offer (and it didn't offer much to begin with). For open world, the game need to have a server but EA is too cheap for that.

Also the game is default to on-line mode which is totally bullshit when the option to change it is hidden in the menu. I stop playing this game because of waiting for 10 mins for the game to find on-line session every times I started it. If not for this thread I would have thought this was an on-line only game. (Also thanks for taking out the instruction and provide just bare-bone digital version).

strafer

Okay, played this game for about 1 hour on PC.

Quit and uninstalled it. Then returned it.

Fucking piece of shit.

The game is fun and much better than Most Wanted (probably to me the worst Criterian games for me). The tag on on-line aspect is terrible that couple with the Peer 2 Peer bullshit. The constant host migration and lost connection kill what little on-line have to offer (and it didn't offer much to begin with). For open world, the game need to have a server but EA is too cheap for that.

Also the game is default to on-line mode which is totally bullshit when the option to change it is hidden in the menu. I stop playing this game because of waiting for 10 mins for the game to find on-line session every times I started it. If not for this thread I would have thought this was an on-line only game. (Also thanks for taking out the instruction and provide just bare-bone digital version).

Agreed on all these points. The connection to each game drops every time I switch apps or power down for a bit, and the loading screen at the beginning of the game can get super long and annoying if you can't find a game. Personally, I disabled online play as I found it super annoying.

Okay, played this game for about 1 hour on PC.

Quit and uninstalled it. Then returned it.

Fucking piece of shit.

Whats wrong, is it worse then Assassins Creed 4, I installed that yesterday and yea it runs pretty shit with a very good card.

Ive played a ton of Rivals on the PS4 and it runs great.

Nymphae

Banned
Agreed on all these points. The connection to each game drops every time I switch apps or power down for a bit, and the loading screen at the beginning of the game can get super long and annoying if you can't find a game. Personally, I disabled online play as I found it super annoying.

How can I disable the online? I did a quick look around the menus but I wasn't seeing anything...

AwShucks

Finally got this last Wednesday and played it for the last few days a lot, to the point of finishing the Racer career (I tried the first speed list for Cops and didn't really care for it unfortunately).

This game is amazing. It's not quite Burnout Paradise, but it's way better than Most Wanted was last year. The handling feels great and the roads are laid out in ways that make it very fun to drive around. Be it long straightaways or lots of curves for drifting. Even when I first started I didn't feel like it was boring/slow/etc due to the slower vehicle, but now with 200+ mph vehicles it's glorious and I don't crash nearly as often as I would have thought I would at that speed.

Event types are varied enough to keep it fun and there are enough vehicles that almost everyone should find a car they enjoy driving. It looks gorgeous and I even got gold on a hard hot pursuit last night using Remote Play on my Vita.

Now that I'm done with the career I'm just going and clearing older speed lists and doing events I haven't tried yet. Already maxed out my current Ferrari upgrades but I don't want to switch cars!

ParityBit

Go into settings, online(I think) and then there's an option to create private session. You should also change the matchmaking to private session as well, so it creates a private session in the future when you load the game up.

Okay I will try this tonight. Thanks!

Yup the online in this game is completely pointless, might as well just switch to single player right away. There's no benefit to finding others, there's no reason to join a race with someone, and there's no easy way to come together. Unless you like driving 20km across the map to find that one player racer only to miss the hit and spend another 15 minutes trying to follow him, you're wasting your time.

Also, the constant host migration crap is just fucking awful. Losing all your points anytime that happens is the icing on the cake. This game should have had dedicated servers and a MUCH higher player count to begin with but yeah, EA.

Fortunately, the game is still quite enjoyable offline.

How can I disable the online? I did a quick look around the menus but I wasn't seeing anything...

Can't remember the name of the menu, but if you toggle through on the main screen showing your car (hitting RB, R2, depending on what console you're on), it should be one of the options. It's defaulted at public game. Think you have choices to change it to Friends Only, Private Game and Offline.

Nymphae

Banned
Can't remember the name of the menu, but if you toggle through on the main screen showing your car (hitting RB, R2, depending on what console you're on), it should be one of the options. It's defaulted at public game. Think you have choices to change it to Friends Only, Private Game and Offline.

Cool I'll try that out, thanks!

Zafir

Go to the all drive tab on the menu, all drive settings and set match making to private(So it always makes your sessions private) and then start private session.

Edit: Too late. xD

Edit 2: Just got emailed the Limited Edition DLC from Amazon, so guess my complaining did get somewhere!

After playing more of this tonight (and realizing I had lost an hour plus progress AGAIN), I'm starting to realize how much I hate this game. The cars are far too weak and are destroyed too easily. Three fucking 20 minute runs with hundreds of thousands of credits lost because I can't get to a safe house before getting wrecked by the cops after a hot pursuit. Hell, half the time I get wrecked mid pursuit. So fucking frustrating.

Lima

After playing more of this tonight (and realizing I had lost an hour plus progress AGAIN).

This happened to me twice now (playing on Xbox One). Holy shit this is so annoying. And this also makes me hate the lack of storage management on Xbox One right now. I can't even back up my save to prevent this from happening. I really like the game but this is really putting me off.

Might just wait until they fix this along with the promised framerate fix.

S¡mon

Banned
Finally got it today for PS4. So far, I'm absolutely loving it. I only played as racer, though, I will try out playing as a cop tomorrow.

This happened to me twice now (playing on Xbox One). Holy shit this is so annoying. And this also makes me hate the lack of storage management on Xbox One right now. I can't even back up my save to prevent this from happening. I really like the game but this is really putting me off.

Might just wait until they fix this along with the promised framerate fix.

Agreed, it's fucking infuriating on the Xbox One. I have no idea when the game saves. Is it at the garage? After a run? They tell you not to turn off the system when it's saving but I've never seen that fucking icon once. Argh.

Agreed, it's fucking infuriating on the Xbox One. I have no idea when the game saves. Is it at the garage? After a run? They tell you not to turn off the system when it's saving but I've never seen that fucking icon once. Argh.
Your progress is saved whenever you enter a hideout/command post.

I've never had a problem with losing progress except mid-session after a host-migration. But I've never lost any progress once I've made it to a hideout. By the time you see your car in there it should be safe to quit the game.

Your progress is saved whenever you enter a hideout/command post.

I've never had a problem with losing progress except mid-session after a host-migration. But I've never lost any progress once I've made it to a hideout. By the time you see your car in there it should be safe to quit the game.

Really? Then this is just fucked because I've only ever quit the game (can you even quit on the Xbox One?) from the garage. Ugh guess I'll wait for a patch.

I keep getting the same AllDrive video whenever I go back into the world from the menu. I went into a private session and I'm still getting it. PS4 version. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see the Single Player option. Set it to that and now I dont see that shit anymore. :)

Raven77

On PS4.

So how do me and my friend play online with other random people? It Seems as though we can only play with JUST eachother our not together at all.

I've had enough of this shit online. This is the 5th time I've lost all my points because of the fucking host migration shit. I love seeing busted across my screen after the game re-loads again because I got busted by a cop while the fucking game was loading.

This game has a great first impression but once you spend a few hours with it you realize how shallow and broken every single system in this game is. EA is so lucky DriveClub got delayed.

Raven77

On PS4.

So how do me and my friend play online with other random people? It Seems as though we can only play with JUST eachother our not together at all.

Anyone? We tried again last night and couldn't figure out a way to do this. I can't find anything online about it either.

Anyone? We tried again last night and couldn't figure out a way to do this. I can't find anything online about it either.

I think there are only public, friend, private and offline games. Don't think it's possible to merge two of them. Really, really stupid design decision.

Raven77

I think there are only public, friend, private and offline games. Don't think it's possible to merge two of them. Really, really stupid design decision.

Wow how incredibly disappointing.

Funny though considering one of the in game cutscenes when you are doing the tutorials, etc. says something along the lines of "playing with friends and others online" implying you can play with both random people and friends at the same time.

I asked about this earlier in the thread. Pretty frustrating because it's really fun but almost impossible to get into a public game with another friend. Any drops are replaced like instantly

Wow how incredibly disappointing.

Funny though considering one of the in game cutscenes when you are doing the tutorials, etc. says something along the lines of "playing with friends and others online" implying you can play with both random people and friends at the same time.

Yeah, very disappointing.

Anyone else finding the Xbox One version's in-game voice controls to be very annoying? I have a bad habit of cursing after a crash, and have found that the Xbone interprets the word, "fuck" as "pull up the map." And then when it pulls up the map, I fall farther behind in the race.

Vitor711

So, here's a tip - NEVER use the GPS to set routes.

Why? Because if you end up doing another event while driving there, and the event goes the other way, the game will reset your car facing your GPS route always. Not the route of your current event. It's dumb. And frustrating. In fact, most of the time the game doesn't auto correct your orientation after a crash, it just lets you do it yourself, costing you loads of time.

Gripe number 2: Why is there no distance marker in Easy Drive next to events/players? Why do I have to manually select each thing, then back out two levels if I just happen to want to pick whatever's closest?

Gripe number 3: I don't care about cop health. Don't show me their life bars. It blocks my view and can really get in the way.

Gripe Number 4: Don't spawn cops directly in front of me mid-chase when I'm a cop. Seriously, DON'T DO THAT.

Gripe Number 5: AI Cops when you're a cop. Their spike strips and blockades screw me over infinitely more than the AI racers. It's a massive pain. They also constantly spin out in front of you or crash into you. I wish I could turn them off.

Gripe Number 6: Why do I even have to 'press X to begin' at the menu when booting the game. Why is that menu even there? It means I can't just turn on the game and leave my PS4 alone while I get a drink/go do something else while the game logs into the servers, loads the levels etc. etc.

Gripe Number 7: No easy comparison. This extends beyond distance markers but basic cars as well. I have to memorise my current ride's stats if I need to compare it to a new car. Also, why no numerical values for the damage of my EMP/other direct weapons? I have no idea if the upgrades are worth it or not.

Gripe Number 8: Having to buy everything again every time. Seriously, it ruins any sort of feeling of progression in the game. If I get level 4 EMP for one car, I want it for all of them.

Gripe Number 9: The mini-map is too zoomed in and the green route highlight on the road isn't noticeable enough as the camera is too low down. I need visible, but not unpassable, barriers across roads that I'm not meant to take when doing an event. I've taken a wrong turn too many times because I couldn't tell what was coming up ahead. That's why I preferred HP's campaign mode and one of the things that I liked about MW. It saved me the Burnout Paradise-style frustration of having to memorise routes and kept it reflex based, which I prefer.

Gripe Number 10: Why is autolog recommendations at the top of Easy Drive? Why is it not find me the nearest hideout when I'm a racer of the nearest repair shop when a cop? Both the top 2/3 options in Easy Drive don't even work for me. I should be able to press right on the d-pad twice to get the most relevant thing for my car type (cop/racer) but it's tricky to do at high speed.

So, I do like the game, I promise. Just, man, so many fixable irritations.

Raven77

I just am having a hard time believing that me and a friend, essentially, can't play online with others.

What they have is a friends online co-op, and thats it.

That being said, I love the games atmosphere and graphics. It's a lot of fun for sure and he and I are having a blast. It would just be so much better if we had 4 randoms in there as well to mix things up.

PATCH UPDATE: The big patch many of us have been waiting for should be submitted for certification today, according to a developer on the team I've been tweeting with.

This is the patch that fixes the frame pacing bug, as well as other issues that have yet to be detailed. We could be seeing this patch go live in the next week if all goes well.

Suggestion:- When playing as a cop on PS4 the DS4 lightbar could flash red and blue when your siren is on. Thereby illuminating the room slightly as well as putting a use to that otherwise useless feature.

Point and laugh if this has been suggested already (can't be bothered searching)

Raven77

PATCH UPDATE: The big patch many of us have been waiting for should be submitted for certification today, according to a developer on the team I've been tweeting with.

This is the patch that fixes the frame pacing bug, as well as other issues that have yet to be detailed. We could be seeing this patch go live in the next week if all goes well.

Any word on them patching the ability to play with friends on a public world / server? Seems like a major oversight.

Vodh

You know what's infuriating? If you're being chased, starting events is a MAJOR pain in the ass. Those few seconds where you're stuck being immobile at the start have just cost me a bunch of points. Escaping the cops and getting to a hideout with 100k+ points feels cool, but shit like this makes my blood boil.

Also, overwatch is fucking stupid, it's a terrible 'wait for bars to load and click again' browser game and I hate that there's an unlock tied with that. It also seems to crash my PC's graphics driver for some reason o_O

Other than that, I like this game quite a lot. I mean, the plot and voiceovers are laughable, but the driving is good, the map is big and it all looks beautiful.

Many sensible things.

nullpointer said:Gripe number 11: Jump icons should be placed on the map facing the direction of the jump.

I agree with all the racer and general related gripes but i haven't tried cop career yet so can't comment on those. This game is fun but those little issues just frustrate me too especially #s 7, 9 & 10.

I'd love a shortcut to "Nearest Hideout" considering i have to bail there after nearly every event due to hyper-aggressive cops. Trying to reset the GPS after a race with 6 cops slamming into you is no fun at all or rather it gets tiring really quickly.

I'd love a zero-heat vehicle so i can pootle about planning routes and generally having a nice look at the scenery. Talking of scenery, has anyone else noticed any slowdown or stuttering in the framerate when the ocean is in view? I think it's the ocean spray effect/sprite thrown up over the walls that does it. I'll try and grab some shots of the corners on the western coastal road it happens with.

Vodh

I've actually stopped playing online today, mid-event host migration has fucked me over one time too many.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This game would be a fantastic use of Camera/Kinect for those that have it. I almost always feel that voice commands are talked on, but here I'd love to be able to route to hideouts, repair, etc. via voice command.

sangreal

This game would be a fantastic use of Camera/Kinect for those that have it. I almost always feel that voice commands are talked on, but here I'd love to be able to route to hideouts, repair, etc. via voice command.

already works on xbox afaik (I have game on ps4 so I'm not sure, but its been mentioned in this thread)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
already works on xbox afaik (I have game on ps4 so I'm not sure, but its been mentioned in this thread)

DAMN I have it on PS4! Didn't see an option but maybe it's not presented since I unplugged my camera after it was turning the mic on for FIFA without any option to turn off.

Works flawlessly on XBone.

"GPS Hideout" is instant. Also "GPS Control Station" , "GPS Repair Station"

Top Bottom