• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

I was afraid to open this game due to all the complaints on here, but yesterday in a fit of boredom I cracked it open and played it.....for the next 6 hours.

This game is great, its totally hooked me like Hot Pursuit did. Ive even played the majority of my time on the racer side and I just dont see what everybodys problem is.

The cops arent THAT aggressive unless you are out running around for a long time with 200k+ points racked up and even then there are usually a repair depot or hideout close by. If you cant get away from the cops, shockwave and turbo help a lot. Also, like someone else said, dont bother trying to juke the cops at low speeds, just keep blasting along the same road you are on and dont make mistakes, eventually the cops will give up or crash out.

If you are on the fence about this game, dont be. The difficulty is right in line with the previous games (easier than some of the Most Wanted events tho IMO) and is a great racer. The cops can get annoying if you are just trying to free roam, but you can always just swap over to a cop and free roam with no harassment.

chidrock

Here's the thing you have to keep in mind: when you're playing as a racer, you never really escape the cops in this game, and it's designed that way. For instance, in Interceptor your goal is to escape just one time in a short amount of time. Pretty much always after that you'll get pursued again, but it's not a big deal, that's just how it happens. The idea is sort of Dark Souls-esque in that you can stay out longer in a tense world where you're liable to lose everything, or you can do a quick race and run back to the hideout.

A few tips:

Never slow down. Cops destroy you when you slow down. As an aside to that, never let cops drive close to you, always find a way to get them away from you because their rams do some bad damage.

Get some pursuit techs and use them often. I roll with shockwave to keep cops away from me, and turbo to GTFO as quickly as possible.

Don't take the time to gps a hideout/repair shop if you're in a chase. Just keep driving straight and carefully and you'll run into one shortly. It's way too dangerous trying to turn around if you're damage is critical.

If you look back further in the thread you'll find some other ones throughout.

Whenever you see a dirt road, take it!

This isn't a game where you should take quick and often turns to confuse the cops, take a dirt road and hit another highway and just haul ass. Keep driving as fast as you can, there will be no cops looking for you ahead on the highway, just the one who first spotted you.

OMG I can't tell you how many times I missed the hideout or repair station and hit the breaks to turn around and BAMMMM. Cops slam in the back of me and destroy me.

Thanks so much for the awesome tips guys! I re-did the interceptor even after my post and saw that I just had to escape once. I just never really escaped because I was treating it like GTA - get into a quiet spot and hide, but the pursuit just kept starting again.

The fact that the cops spawn out of nowhere is a little annoying, and a part of me just wished it was Burnout 3 HD, but I'm getting used to it. The game is a lot of fun and I just have to step back and not let the big hits bother me - like someone said before, you can lose big totals at no fault of your own, but you just have to remember that the points are pretty easy to come by.

It would still be nice to get that big 50k plus score though lol. I had my highest total at the end of a big race and got nailed trying to turn around and pull into my garage...oh well lol.

Gaz_RB

Thanks so much for the awesome tips guys! I re-did the interceptor even after my post and saw that I just had to escape once. I just never really escaped because I was treating it like GTA - get into a quiet spot and hide, but the pursuit just kept starting again.

The fact that the cops spawn out of nowhere is a little annoying, and a part of me just wished it was Burnout 3 HD, but I'm getting used to it. The game is a lot of fun and I just have to step back and not let the big hits bother me - like someone said before, you can lose big totals at no fault of your own, but you just have to remember that the points are pretty easy to come by.

It would still be nice to get that big 50k plus score though lol. I had my highest total at the end of a big race and got nailed trying to turn around and pull into my garage...oh well lol.

Yeah the cops spawning is a huge issue, especially at higher levels when you're going 200 mph and they literally spawn in front of your car, wrecking you.

And don't worry, as you get better at the game you'll be pulling 300k+ runs no problem!

Yup, its NOTHING like that. Just drive fast in one direction and you'll be fine.

My only problem is joining rooms with annoying people. I can't find the mute button....

You can kill all voice chat in the settings menu. Alternatively, you can mute offending individuals from the easydrive menu. Open easydrive, button down to players, pick a player, and select mute. You can see who is talking on the player list on the Options map, to identify the mouthbreathing, screaming at mom for chocolate milk offender. Shame you can't just mute from that screen too.

Certinty

From what I've read I'm really glad the game seems difficult. Far too many times we have open world arcade racing games that are way too easy. Can't wait to get it!

I just had my first experience getting kicked from a game for beating another player.

As a racer, I had wracked up 250,000 points and was clearly racing back to my hideout. The host realized he wasn't going to catch me and booted me from the game.

Sore loser.

I got credit for earning the points but didn't actually bank them. What a cheat.

socialQ

Banned
I just had my first experience getting kicked from a game for beating another player.

As a racer, I had wracked up 250,000 points and was clearly racing back to my hideout. The host realized he wasn't going to catch me and booted me from the game.

Sore loser.

I got credit for earning the points but didn't actually bank them. What a cheat.

I didn't realise there's such a thing as a host in this game.

I didn't realise there's such a thing as a host in this game.

There is!

I tip from earlier in the thread -- turn the game to private under the "AllDrive" settings and accept. Once the game disconnects you, turn the "AllDrive" to public and accept WITHOUT looking for games to join.

Presto!

You're the host.

Amazon sale is really tempting. How does it run on PS3? About the same as Most Wanted? Because that game looked amazing. Wondering if I should hold out for the PS4 version or jump on this sale now for PS3.

But then I don't even have a PS4 yet, so...

Lima

The game looks and runs like ass on the 360 and is pretty broken in some parts. I can only imagine the PS3 is on the same level, I wouldn't get it on last gen to be honest.

Veritas_

Anyone want to work together on Overwatch? I want to unlock the Maserati but I don't have any Origin friends playing this.

M_A_C

I can't find any mention of this on the web for PS4 after a quick search... It would be cool actually.

Somebody test!

I could not get the voice commands to work on PS4 with the camera, unless I'm doing something wrong. I was in a public game with voicechat on so I don't know if that means that the other guys were just hearing me say "GPS Hideout" over and over lol.

OmahaG8

You can kill all voice chat in the settings menu. Alternatively, you can mute offending individuals from the easydrive menu. Open easydrive, button down to players, pick a player, and select mute. You can see who is talking on the player list on the Options map, to identify the mouthbreathing, screaming at mom for chocolate milk offender. Shame you can't just mute from that screen too.

I'm like, right here, dude.

I just got busted with 487k points......

I was doing fine and then all the sudden a friggin swarm of Bugattis came out of nowhere and basically all hit me once and that was it.....seems pretty unfair since I was easily outrunning the cops up until this point

HOLY SHIT at the level 16 racer mission!!

Spoilers just in case

That Koenigsegg is fast as shit!! I couldn't even see when I was using nitro that thing was moving so fast!!

Aerocrane

I finished the final racer mission, but didn't select a new speedlist to complete and stopped playing. Now the game seems to be glitched, as it doesn't allow me to pick a new speedlist. The UI shows that I have completed the objective of the last speedlist, and if I leave the hideout and come back, it just gives me the final cutscene again without actually marking the final speedlist as completed. I have the McLaren P1 unlocked, and my racer rank displays correctly.

Edit: I figured it out, the speedlist shows the objective as complete, but the map shows my time under the event while claiming that I haven't completed it. I guess I should just try and complete the race again to see if it will make speedlists work again.

Has anyone noticed graphical glitches in the PS4 version of this game, other than the framerate stutter thing?

It seems to happen in certain specific sections of the map, the mountains (or other background elements) will be green/purple when they first pop-in. Looks similar to what happens when a graphics card is about to die, which is why I'm worried about it.

I haven't noticed any graphics glitches in other games (I also own Killzone and FIFA), so I'm wondering if it's a bug within the game or my PS4 is having issues.

Has anyone noticed graphical glitches in the PS4 version of this game, other than the framerate stutter thing?

It seems to happen in certain specific sections of the map, the mountains (or other background elements) will be green/purple when they first pop-in. Looks similar to what happens when a graphics card is about to die, which is why I'm worried about it.

I haven't noticed any graphics glitches in other games (I also own Killzone and FIFA), so I'm wondering if it's a bug within the game or my PS4 is having issues.

Ive noticed this as well, good to hear that Im not the only one.

Mask

Just got an email telling me that I won a copy of this from that "guess the winner" competition!

I went for a PS4 copy, just have to wait until friday now. What's this game like?

Nope, not a single one. This will be the first one I play.

Well. Its a racing game, but it is not realistic-racing, like Forza is. In Forza if you make a turn too quick you can spin out. In this game you hit turns at full speed, hold the brake, and drift for a couple hundred yard and then take off at a million miles an hour.

There are two career paths. Racer and Cop. As a racer you are trying to complete races and missions while avoiding getting busted by the cops. You are busted when your vehicle is destroyed or you are stopped (pinned against a wall) by them for a few seconds. You have vehicle upgrades that you can purchase to keep cops off you, like jammers (that stop their upgrades), EMP blasts, Rams, Spike mines, etc.

As a cop, you have faster cars and are trying to bust racers from completing their missions, using even more tools. Like road blocks, spike strips, helicopter assistance, etc.

The game is mayhem. Imagine driving full speed through crazy turns with 3 lamborghini cop cars slamming you and helicopters in the air and road blocks set up ahead on the road that you need to navigate through. All while not crashing too much (when your cars damage goes you are done.)

They have all the best cars. Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Koenigsegg, Pagani, Bugatti, etc. And you can upgrade the racer cars with better damage protection, turbos, handling, etc.

tl:dr. THIS GAME IS FUCK AWESOME.

ACH1LL3US

Hot Pursuit is a much better game.

If they patch out the point-loss deal (or make it so you only lose a percentage of them) it will be better for it....probably better than Hot Pursuit in that case.

I do not agree, I love the risk/reward with the point loss if you get caught. There are plenty of hideout garages to get to. It adds excitement.

Also I love Hot Pursuit but this game is alot more fun due to the alldrive online aspect and the risk/reward system.

Anyone know when or if a patch is coming out to fix the constant judder that the game has now on the PS4?? Maybe they will make the game look better like Ubisoft did with AC4 on the PS4.

Mask

Well. Its a racing game, but it is not realistic-racing, like Forza is. In Forza if you make a turn too quick you can spin out. In this game you hit turns at full speed, hold the brake, and drift for a couple hundred yard and then take off at a million miles an hour.

There are two career paths. Racer and Cop. As a racer you are trying to complete races and missions while avoiding getting busted by the cops. You are busted when your vehicle is destroyed or you are stopped (pinned against a wall) by them for a few seconds. You have vehicle upgrades that you can purchase to keep cops off you, like jammers (that stop their upgrades), EMP blasts, Rams, Spike mines, etc.

As a cop, you have faster cars and are trying to bust racers from completing their missions, using even more tools. Like road blocks, spike strips, helicopter assistance, etc.

The game is mayhem. Imagine driving full speed through crazy turns with 3 lamborghini cop cars slamming you and helicopters in the air and road blocks set up ahead on the road that you need to navigate through. All while not crashing too much (when your cars damage goes you are done.)

They have all the best cars. Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Koenigsegg, Pagani, Bugatti, etc. And you can upgrade the racer cars with better damage protection, turbos, handling, etc.

tl:dr. THIS GAME IS FUCK AWESOME.

Welp, I'm sold. It's free anyhow, so I can't really complain if I don't get into it.

Gaz_RB

Same issue, don't think it has anything to do with our gpu but I thought the same thing haha

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Scanned through a few pages in this thread and didn't see much info on it, sorry if this has been covered...

Does anyone know what's up with the Need for Speed Network? The App still isn't available on Android as far as I can tell. It tells me to go to the website and use it there instead, but I can't find any trace of actually launching it on the website.

njean777

Can somebody tell me how to actually escape from the cops, I had a heat level of 8 yesterday and for the life of me could not get away from the cops. The escape bar would fill up and then they would magically spawn right behind me and the pursuit would resume.... I just do not get why the pursuit kept on going.

Can somebody tell me how to actually escape from the cops, I had a heat level of 8 yesterday and for the life of me could not get away from the cops. The escape bar would fill up and then they would magically spawn right behind me and the pursuit would resume.... I just do not get why the pursuit kept on going.

Yeah I don't always understand what happens. You escape, then 5 seconds later they start "resuming the pursuit" even though the original cops are nowhere near you.

Get off the main roads once the escape meter starts filling and find a place to hide. I once veered down a dirt road and and hid inside construction pipes.

My PS4 version of Rivals is stuck at the main screen at "Signing in to the EA servers. Please wait." The screen is flashing and shaking it like normally does with lightning and the red streak marks so I know the system isn't locked or anything.

Anyone have this problem?

Heat 8 is really high. I've gotten to 9 and it was impossible.

Is 10 the max?

When you get away from cops view and the escape bar starts filling, they report your last known location and the direction you were heading. So all the cops head to that location. So you can't just immediately hide behind a building.

BTW at 8 I don't get away I just go to the hideout. But I have gotten away before. I just cheat I've said before. At the bridge with construction, on one end is a (kinda) straight away that has a gas station. I turbo to that station, and turbo after going through it, if I'm not away, I e-brake u-turn, and head to the bridge again turbo gas station turbo. Past the bridge I u-turn again and try try again.
Heat 8 is really high. I've gotten to 9 and it was impossible.

Is 10 the max?
10 is the max.

I've heard this game is essentially a strange mix of burnout open world tendencies and dark souls risk reward and brutality? If true, I might have to go get a copy.
Yeah, its kinda like that. Only the racers have that real risk/reward though. Cops can just run around killing everybody else's fun and eating donuts.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The more I play this game the more a couple things are really bugging me.

1. The lack of variety of challenges. You do the same 3 types (per career) and thats it, with a map that just doesn't seem varied enough to keep them consistently interesting.

2. The "SP in one sitting" requirements are getting a bit absurd as a cop. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it can take me 45 mins or so to get 125k SP, and I dont always have that kind of time.

Just had something happen that made me want to quit this game entirely.

My objective list was absurd. Win 4 head to heads, side slam 10 racers, tech hit 10 racers, 3 perfect turbos, and something else I forget. It took me maybe 40 minutes seeing as I was constantly being chased by 5 cops and a helicopter. It was all I could do to stay alive while trying to find more racers to tech hit. Finally I finished it and my car was IN a hideout. I was mashing page up but instead of banking my points, I got busted.

Lulz. Fuck this game.

2. The "SP in one sitting" requirements are getting a bit absurd as a cop. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it can take me 45 mins or so to get 125k SP, and I dont always have that kind of time.
Yeah, this is definitely a game that doesn't respect your time at all. Especially with no pause in single player. Terrible design....

dat final objective with racer, just beat it, recorded it and can only upload to FB, smh, Im not making a FB account. Sony really needs to add youtube and other for video sharing.

This was noted in the EGM review. The engine just can't keep up.

I'm very curious to hear if anyone has seen this problem on the XB1 version.

Top Bottom