• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The cops are ruining the game for me, it's like the Far Cry 2 of racers.

Samus4145

Just started the game over the weekend, panicked when trying to head back to one specific hideout, I think the first starter one in the north, as I couldn't find where I was supposed to go to get the bank prompt.

In the heat of a chance it gets very frustrating circling around trying to crash into the building trying to figure out where to go.

Just started the game over the weekend, panicked when trying to head back to one specific hideout, I think the first starter one in the north, as I couldn't find where I was supposed to go to get the bank prompt.

In the heat of a chance it gets very frustrating circling around trying to crash into the building trying to figure out where to go.

I find that there is no specific way you have to go into them, just pull up to one from any direction and come to a near stop.

Yeah. You can just park your car in a remote hideout thinking you're safe... but somehow a cop will drive by and start a pursuit with you for no reason at all.

I didn't realize that you could partially complete your speedlist, go to a hideout to bank your points, then complete the rest of the speedlist later. That has helped me out a ton.

This was noted in the EGM review. The engine just can't keep up.

I'm very curious to hear if anyone has seen this problem on the XB1 version.

I am very excited to see what developers do with the new consoles once games are no longer built with the PS3 and XBOX 360 in mind. It may take another year (or so), but Forza 5 and DriveClub are proof racing games will look very, very good.

As is, I think Rivals is a very pretty game.

There is a period of the game where to cops feel much, much more powerful than racers.

I fully upgraded the Aston Martin's strength and durability, top speed and acceleration. Surviving battles with police is much easier now and I escape more times than not. There was also a moment when the controls just "clicked" and power sliding through winding mountain roads to escape became much, much easier.

Stick with it. I just unlocked the Ferrari 458 and having a blast.

VanWinkle

I want to get this game so bad, but, ugh, I just HATE the cop system. I just want a game like Burnout Paradise where I can cruise around for hours at whatever speed I want. :(

Unfortunately that is a very accurate comparison. I still think this game is fun, but it's not exactly the kind of fun I was hoping for. I just want to race in my awesome car sometimes, but the cops are always involved, and that sucks.

I want to get this game so bad, but, ugh, I just HATE the cop system. I just want a game like Burnout Paradise where I can cruise around for hours at whatever speed I want. :(

This is unfortunately not the game for that. If you want to drive around in a pretty race car, you're gonna find yourself being pursued by cops on a frequent basis.

Okay so I want to play this with my friend in a public server but I'm not sure how. I can't seem to ever join his games because it always matchmakes you in a full server and when someone drops it seems like they're replaced instantly. We can join a friend game but then it's only us and no public players can join.

Is there a way to party up together then join a public game?

Veritas_

The only time I've had a problem with the cops is when it's another player chasing after me. Every single time there's a player cop, they have the most agonizingly laggy connection coupled with such ridiculously BS teleporting/speed warping cars. I've only played as a Racer, so I don't know how cop mechanics work, but the human cops keep respawning right behind me after I've driven far past them, and all they do is warp right on my ass and shock blast me into walls. There's no way to try and dodge or evade them when their cars are literally jumping all over the screen, off rails, walls, and trees.

Also, shockblast and emp's are such weak game design when there's no counter play to it other than "don't be near people". 20% unavoidable instant car damage from Overwatch just stupid.

On the lighter side, my cop helicopters have a weird habit of spazzing out and doing the Harlem Shake when they chase me. Looks just like this. IN PURSUIT OF CODE-3

The only time I've had a problem with the cops is when it's another player chasing after me. Every single time there's a player cop, they have the most agonizingly laggy connection coupled with such ridiculously BS teleporting/speed warping cars. I've only played as a Racer, so I don't know how cop mechanics work, but the human cops keep respawning right behind me after I've driven far past them, and all they do is warp right on my ass and shock blast me into walls. There's no way to try and dodge or evade them when their cars are literally jumping all over the screen, off rails, walls, and trees.

I'm a rank like 15 cop and it's all I've played and my opinion is just the opposite lol. It's so hard to catch racers you make the smallest mistake and crash and that's it. Not to mention it seems like half the time the racer I'm chasing is lagging and looks like they've stopped and are ready to turn around and lag warp away. Or get far enough away then leave the server. Also it's bascally impossible without tools and once you've ran out you're SOL normal ramming is so weak and stopping someone for 5 seconds is like impossible.

I'm also constantly finding racers that will run on the same one mile strip going back and forth between repair spots making it near impossible to damage them enough in time. That's ignoring the fact that it can be a pain in the ass just to get to one on a map that big and I never find human cops willing to help. The CPU cops are ALWAYS in my way and do more harm than good.

I really just want to figure out how to matchmake into a public game with a friend

Also, shockblast and emp's are such weak game design when there's no counter play to it other than "don't be near people". 20% unavoidable instant car damage from Overwatch just stupid.

On the lighter side, my cop helicopters have a weird habit of spazzing out and doing the Harlem Shake when they chase me. Looks just like this. IN PURSUIT OF CODE-3

Use the weapon that charges your car with electricity to avoid EMP's.

Also, I've seen computer helicopters do the same. I think it's connected to using a weapon such as the shockwave or electric charge. I actually thought it was going to crash at one point!

IvorB

Is this game good? I don't really play non-weaponised racers but only have Killzone coming and wouldn't mind a bit more variety to next gen.

IvorB

Use the weapon that charges your car with electricity to avoid EMP's.

Also, I've seen computer helicopters do the same. I think it's connected to using a weapon such as the shockwave or electric charge. I actually thought it was going to crash at one point!

Wait... there are weapons in this game??

Wait... there are weapons in this game??
You equip your car with two 'pursuit techs' from which you have a selection of 6 items, 4 unique to cops and rivals. They're basically weapons, yeah.

Rivals:
Shockwave- PbAOE dmg + push
Turbo- Speed Boost (until runs out or hit something)
Stun Mine- Mine with EMP Effect
Jammer- PbAOE other side can't use techs
EMP- Lock On ranged causes DMG, messed up screen, slow down, can't use tech
ESF- Shield, breaks EMP LockOn, Dmg to others on contact

Cops:
Shockram- Front Column dmg + push (slight range)
Spike Strip- Rear Dropped causes slow + Dmg, lasts for a set time even if others already ran over it
Roadblock- Cars summoned block road ahead, higher levels include spike strips, difficult to manuver through patterns, and cars assiting pursuit after racers pass by
Helicopter- Helicopter hovers over racer, keeps visibility and at high levels can blind with spotlight and drop spike strips

Aerocrane

Does the description of ESF actually state that it is a shield from EMPs? I guess I missed that part, might change out shockwave for it then.

Okay so I want to play this with my friend in a public server but I'm not sure how. I can't seem to ever join his games because it always matchmakes you in a full server and when someone drops it seems like they're replaced instantly. We can join a friend game but then it's only us and no public players can join.

Is there a way to party up together then join a public game?

Just going to repost this and hope I'm missing something would love an easy way to play in a public game with a friend

I have no friends ;_; but here's a guess? Make a friends only game, have your friend join, then change settings to public?

Thanks for the suggestion we did try this though. Both set matchmaking to public and clicked apply after we were in the same game. No one else ever joined after a few hours of play. Assumed it didn't work

Thanks for the suggestion we did try this though. Both set matchmaking to public and clicked apply after we were in the same game. No one else ever joined after a few hours of play. Assumed it didn't work
Yeah, I often see gaffers on my friends list playing this but their servers are always full.

Eusis

Yeah, I often see gaffers on my friends list playing this but their servers are always full.
It's because it defaults to public and those games are almost always instant packed. Maybe we all need to come to an agreement to ONLY play "friends" games, then we'd usually be stuck playing along until someone shows up. Or so I hope.

Honestly with the interactivity I saw with others it practically doesn't matter that there's other players, at most it might even more annoyance than not as some asshole cop guns you dow nwhile you're just trying to complete objectives. Unless it's ones dealing with messing with the cops, then may as well take it out on a player out for your blood anyway. May however matters if we're a group that'll actually talk together rather than just people racing in the same world.

Aerocrane

So I was cheesing the cop AI, there were probably 5 or 6 chasing me, (eventually getting over 750,000 SP) and I completely broke the framerate, it was down to single digits for a few seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6qEKKSmfM

I've had this happen followed by the game just halting for a few seconds. The car just stops moving like it hit a wall and the sounds continue playing and after a few seconds the game just continues on like normal. I've had the problem only when playing in single-player mode though.

Veritas_

Not to mention it seems like half the time the racer I'm chasing is lagging and looks like they've stopped and are ready to turn around and lag warp away. Or get far enough away then leave the server.

Sounds like connection issues are causing problems both ways. :(

Aside from the occasional pursuit jankiness, I'm really enjoying Rivals.

IvorB

You equip your car with two 'pursuit techs' from which you have a selection of 6 items, 4 unique to cops and rivals. They're basically weapons, yeah.

Rivals:
Shockwave- PbAOE dmg + push
Turbo- Speed Boost (until runs out or hit something)
Stun Mine- Mine with EMP Effect
Jammer- PbAOE other side can't use techs

Cops:
Shockram- Front Column dmg + push (slight range)
Spike Strip- Rear Dropped causes slow + Dmg, lasts for a set time even if others already ran over it
Roadblock- Cars summoned block road ahead, higher levels include spike strips, difficult to manuver through patterns, and cars assiting pursuit after racers pass by
Helicopter- Helicopter hovers over racer, keeps visibility and at high levels can blind with spotlight and drop spike strips

Thanks for the intel. Might have to check this out if people are having fun with this.

Ok so. I think something people could consider is using low grade cars to beat the missions. As a low tier racer (the 1 heat cars), the cops chasing you are also low tier cars. As a low tier cop, the racers on the road are also low tier. I believe I used a low tier cop on the final cop mission and went against a low tier racer. I think.

Honestly with the interactivity I saw with others it practically doesn't matter that there's other players, at most it might even more annoyance than not as some asshole cop guns you dow nwhile you're just trying to complete objectives.
Hah, whenever I pay I try to involve myself with other players, even if not by chat. As a racer I'll find other racers to challenge to a head-to-head or even cop players to speed right past. I imagine them spilling their coffee and donuts as I honk and scream past them at mach 3 :)

And yes, if I'm paying a cop and you're a racer, I will find you and I will try to ruin your evening. Man is the most dangerous game, and a cop lives to shut down those racers. So watch out.

That's not to say cops always win. I had one particular racer turn the tables and hunt me down til I was a smoking wreck. But that racer earned my respect big time.

Cops are so OP. as a Bughatti with just a stage 2 ram I wreck house with it. If I get close to you you're done.

But.... when I come across a racer who knows how to drive, I lose them in 3 seconds.

The only thing I find rage inducing in this game is losing your entire score whenever there's a host migration, which is often.

That needs a fix, big time. Its the biggest hole in this game's multiplayer model and it should never happen.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing some actual risk added to the cop side of things (deduct points for property damage/civilian car damage?), but then we'd need a new risk-free way to simply drive around the world for kicks without worrying about an NPC or player mussing with your mood.

The only thing I find rage inducing in this game is losing your entire score whenever there's a host migration, which is often.

That needs a fix, big time. Its the biggest hole in this game's multiplayer model and it should never happen.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing some actual risk added to the cop side of things (deduct points for property damage/civilian car damage?), but then we'd need a new risk-free way to simply drive around the world for kicks without worrying about an NPC or player mussing with your mood.

To complete the single player as a cop I just turned off the public gameplay option and went with single player until I finished it today. Host Migration is a terrible tempo breaker.

ParityBit

To complete the single player as a cop I just turned off the public gameplay option and went with single player until I finished it today. Host Migration is a terrible tempo breaker.

How do you play single player? I just got the game and was dumped into multi right after the training. Xbox One version.

Yoday

I really love this game, but my god was it frustrating as all hell tonight. I was on a cop assignment to earn 100,000SP in one session, and time after time I would reach around 70-80k and the host migration would kick in and wipe me back down to 0/100k for the assignment. I finally went in and changed it to a single player game, and the game crashed as soon as I left the garage, yay! They have a really cool concept here that is being kicked in the balls by just a couple of design choices, and some clear tech limitations.

A few things that are driving me nuts;

- Whenever the host changes, you are pretty much screwed no matter what you are doing. This will instantly kill any event, and wipe any point based assignment progression. I have been trying to get the trophy to drive a Ford for 50 cumulative minutes, and still don't have it after spending close to 2 1/2 hours of actual driving time in a Ford. I think the timer is being reset whenever the host drops.

- Repair Shop dancing (people will just find a repair shop during a chase and circle it until the other player gives up) is absolutely ruining multiplayer chases.

- The amount of cops out in the wild is absolutely insane, and I say that as someone who has only played as a cop. Even as a cop they just get in the way, and have screwed me out of a chase far more times than actually helped me, and they are absolutely everywhere.

- Eight players per game is not nearly enough, it needs to be double that IMO.

Rivals is a cool game that shows a lot of promise. I really look forward to what they put out next after learning from this game. I'm sure they are just as aware of the issues as we are, and I hope they take the steps to fix them. My only worry is that there is one core NFS team now, and if they are going to continue putting out yearly games, then it could spell disaster for the series.

Kemal86

Loving this game. Up to Rank 53 as a Racer, haven't touched Cop yet. Managed to get the Bank 500,000 SP Trophy last night.

Problem though - I'm playing on PS4 and the Rain effect in game is seriously borked. When it rains in my game, I don't see the rain drops / streaks, instead I get these horrible vertical banding lines on my screen, almost like a really pronounced film-grain effect. I watched a video on YouTube of someone playing the PS4 version and they had normal rain. Think I might try to delete my install and re-install / re-patch to see if that helps at all.

It's kind of like this, except the "bands" are wider and they fade in/out different shades of black and dark grey. Only happens when it's supposed to be "raining" in the game.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/06/dell_vertical_lines.jpg

I really love this game, but my god was it frustrating as all hell tonight. I was on a cop assignment to earn 100,000SP in one session, and time after time I would reach around 70-80k and the host migration would kick in and wipe me back down to 0/100k for the assignment. I finally went in and changed it to a single player game, and the game crashed as soon as I left the garage, yay! They have a really cool concept here that is being kicked in the balls by just a couple of design choices, and some clear tech limitations.

A few things that are driving me nuts;

- Whenever the host changes, you are pretty much screwed no matter what you are doing. This will instantly kill any event, and wipe any point based assignment progression. I have been trying to get the trophy to drive a Ford for 50 cumulative minutes, and still don't have it after spending close to 2 1/2 hours of actual driving time in a Ford. I think the timer is being reset whenever the host drops.

- Repair Shop dancing (people will just find a repair shop during a chase and circle it until the other player gives up) is absolutely ruining multiplayer chases.

- The amount of cops out in the wild is absolutely insane, and I say that as someone who has only played as a cop. Even as a cop they just get in the way, and have screwed me out of a chase far more times than actually helped me, and they are absolutely everywhere.

- Eight players per game is not nearly enough, it needs to be double that IMO.

Rivals is a cool game that shows a lot of promise. I really look forward to what they put out next after learning from this game. I'm sure they are just as aware of the issues as we are, and I hope they take the steps to fix them. My only worry is that there is one core NFS team now, and if they are going to continue putting out yearly games, then it could spell disaster for the series.
I agree with all of this. And for all the talk we've heard this year about cloud servers allowing for more immersive worlds, more AI, and more players on a server, the Rivals style of play is a perfect candidate for it.

Remove the P2P components and double the player count at minimum.

Beyond this I'd overhaul the Easy Drive system. Core elements like finding the nearest hideout or repair shop should be simple, consistent commands. The kind of sequence thats easy to pull off while racing at top speed in the middle of chaos.

Top Bottom