• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

njean777

This game really needs dedicated servers, really cannot stand being in the middle of a race, or getaway, and all of a sudden go into host migration. I know EA has the money to run those servers.

Lima

So i reached rank 60 as a racer ... this wasn't such a bad grind i had a little problem finding a place to do the 300 yard drift ( in one go ) but i managed.

Hopefully the cop campaign ( that i'll start soon ) won't be harder.

Nah cop campaign was way easier and much quicker.

Mascot

This game really needs dedicated servers, really cannot stand being in the middle of a race, or getaway, and all of a sudden go into host migration. I know EA has the money to run those servers.

I thought next-gen was supposed to be all about dedicated servers? Not more subterfuge, surely?

Said the word "Yes!" when I was about to win a Hot Pursuit I hadn't won yet. Kinect reads it as a command, camera spins around the car, I crash and lose. Fuck this shit.

Sorry. I laughed.

Lima

I thought next-gen was supposed to be all about dedicated servers? Not more subterfuge, surely?

But not for EA titles. Most of them use dedicated servers but FIFA, NFS etc. are still on P2P connections and they don't want the platform holders to handle their stuff.

There is only one EA game that will use external servers, Titanfall.

Is there a way to drop the heat level of a car as you improve it? Or is that just set once your car gets good enough?

Also, during a race is there any quick way on PS4 to get the gps to lead me to my hideout? The hardest thing in this game is trying to glance at the fucking mini map in the heat of the moment. I know on XB1 you can say voice commands to do this, but does no other option exist?

You can turn off the online portion of the game and not have to worry about any of that.

So i reached rank 60 as a racer ... this wasn't such a bad grind i had a little problem finding a place to do the 300 yard drift ( in one go ) but i managed.

Hopefully the cop campaign ( that i'll start soon ) won't be harder.

Its much easier. The fully upgraded-tech Bugatti is OP

noomi

Nice, didn't even realize the patch for ps4 was released. Took a look at my notifications on my ps4 yesterday and saw that something had downloaded for NFS:Rivals and I immediately came here to confirm what I hopped. Yay!

Been holding off on playing until the patch came out, seems a lot of you are very happy with it. Going to finally give the game a proper play through ;)

Dawg

So... the 2015 mustang is just called "Ford Mustang" in the garage and it's already unlocked? I'm asking this because there was also a 2015 movie version but that one has to be bought.

The Ford partnership is pretty funny. Three trophies in the game have to be done with a Ford car and there aren't any other exclusive brand trophies.

Btw, anyone up for the "bust a friend" and other "co-op" trophies later?

Second btw: What are the best car/loadout to complete both campaigns? Currently driving the new Mustang with lvl 1 shockwave and EMP (?)

Just wanted to point out , to all those who want someone to help them for the 2 friend trophies , please specify the console , putting the psn doesn't really help since it's also on ps3.

So please say if you want someone on 360,xb1, ps3 ,ps4 or else.

Dawg

There's nothing like playing a race and seeing a random online player trying to ram you near the finish line while they're being chased by 554648786454 cops.

I've noticed a whole lot of really little random things that bug the shit out of me in the game. For example. Why are there a billion cones everywhere..in the nicest longest corners in the game. Im drifting and smashing through every cone and barricade this city has. It could be just me, but i feel that at around chapter 5 or 6 the civs traffic just becomes a huge troll. Theyre always under a hill you cant see until you steer into it, around a corner or just as generaly as obstructive as possible. When i wreck is it spawn facing backwards most of the time? Not to be all negative. I really am enjoying the game, but sometimes the grind is really grindy and tedious.

leng jai

It blows my mind how many design decisions continually thwart your ability to earn SP points. The weak cars and perpetual state of pursuit and critical damage. The fact you pretty much have to go back to the hideout constantly to bank your points and "pause" which resets your multiplier. Getting a high multiplier and persisting is risky as hell since it's so easy to get busted and the escape mechanic seems random half the time. Nothing worse than losing a few hundred thousand SP points at a time.

S¡mon

Banned
It blows my mind how many design decisions continually thwart your ability to earn SP points. The weak cars and perpetual state of pursuit and critical damage. The fact you pretty much have to go back to the hideout constantly to bank your points and "pause" which resets your multiplier. Getting a high multiplier and persisting is risky as hell since it's so easy to get busted and the escape mechanic seems random half the time. Nothing worse than losing a few hundred thousand SP points at a time.

That's [[the risk of losing your points]] also what makes this game great (although, I agree, some aspects can be improved).

leng jai

S¡mon;94302274 said:
That's [[the risk of losing your points]] also what makes this game great (although, I agree, some aspects can be improved).

We need a pause button, stronger cars and an escape mechanic where you can't be randomly discovered by cop cars that just appear behind you from thin air.

There really are way too many random instances of a mass loss of SP. Last time i played i lost 400k because a racer literally spawned right in front of me. I cant even mention how many times ive been interrupted playing the game j. I do like the social aspect but i seriously want to be able to pause my damn game.

Vitor711

We need a pause button, stronger cars and an escape mechanic where you can't be randomly discovered by cop cars that just appear behind you from thin air.

I just started the racer career and have an upgraded mustang. Seems pretty tanky to me - I just spent a few thousand points in durability and haven't had too much issue. Then again, I'm like level 8ish.

I see no reason to use any of the cars I've unlocked as my upgraded basic car destroys them all in stats.

Although, I did have this issue yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153605318140203&l=8270741407736951766

Let me know if you guys can't see the video. But yeah, the game is still a little buggy.

We need a pause button ( only when your all drive is on single player mode )

As for the cop cars the idea is that the cars appear on preview for a tiny second on the mini map so you can quickly seeif a cop car is ahead or behind you , problem here is that the cop escape range is way too big and the game seems to pick up any car that might pop-up even if they are too far , so far away that they don't even appear on the mini-map.
Given that cop appearance rate is tied to your heat level you can't escape because the escape range is too huge.
Increase in heat should give you more cops on your tail , not increase the search range for no reason.

What should be fixed ASAP is the Gps route bugs , there are like 3 bridges that provide unaccurate info when you are in head to head .this problem wasn't in the previous games either i can't believe this problem is in this game.

GET RID of the GPS bugs !!

Vitor711

We need a pause button ( only when your all drive is on single player mode )

As for the cop cars the idea is that the cars appear on preview for a tiny second on the mini map so you can quickly seeif a cop car is ahead or behind you , problem here is that the cop escape range is way too big and the game seems to pick up any car that might pop-up even if they are too far , so far away that they don't even appear on the mini-map.
Given that cop appearance rate is tied to your heat level you can't escape because the escape range is too huge.
Increase in heat should give you more cops on your tail , not increase the search range for no reason.

What should be fixed ASAP is the Gps route bugs , there are like 3 bridges that provide unaccurate info when you are in head to head .this problem wasn't in the previous games either i can't believe this problem is in this game.

GET RID of the GPS bugs !!

The GPS just needs to be made not useless. The entire HUD is not in an easy to see place.

I cannot tell at a glance what my damage level is, what my boost is, whether or not I'm correctly doing a challenge (looking at you slipstream for 8s straight) or where the next turn is coming from.

All of the HUD info is so far into my periphery that I have to take my eyes off the road for much longer than is comfortable. This type of info needs to be more obvious. Split/Second and Blur managed to nail this. That was years ago. Either superimpose it onto the car or make it larger and more central.

The camera is also way too low down, making it hard to see upcoming turns or, worse, those tiny annoying barriers that pop into view last second.

Oh, and they need to turn off cop car health as that info helps no-one and just obstructs my view when there's 4 cop cars in front of me but behind my target.

A way to see your own car health would certainly help. when i have "damage critical" it is always too late. Especially true if you're at a high heat , and a tiny mistake can cost you so many points.

The camera view should be tweakable indeed

You can see your car health in the lower right corner. Its the bar with the repair sign below it.

WHAT ?

Thanks for the tip, goes to say that i never found out by myself so thismight be one of those Hud problems - related that we were talking above.i do't think i've ever seen a tip of them in loading menus as well.

leng jai

WHAT ?

Thanks for the tip, goes to say that i never found out by myself so thismight be one of those Hud problems - related that we were taliking above.i do't think i've ever seen a tip of them in loading menus as well.

Not like it matters anyway. After one decent hit you're practically at 50% anyway.

All of the HUD info is so far into my periphery that I have to take my eyes off the road for much longer than is comfortable. This type of info needs to be more obvious. Split/Second and Blur managed to nail this. That was years ago. Either superimpose it onto the car or make it larger and more central.

I don't know how those games did it but couldn't the game just put on the car's blinkers ahead of time to let you know a turn is coming. Not for curves because those are easy to recognize, but if you saw the right blinkers come on you know oh hey I need to turn at this next street

I don't know how those games did it but couldn't the game just put on the car's blinkers ahead of time to let you know a turn is coming. Not for curves because those are easy to recognize, but if you saw the right blinkers come on you know oh hey I need to turn at this next street
I liked the solution in burnout paradise , where you only had to look at the back of your own car lights to know where to turn.
Unfortunatly some parts of the map make the gps go broke so well ... that need to be fixed first .

NFS Rivals supports Vita remote play multiplayer? This changes everything.

The whole game is playable remote play , including multiplayer. Carefull , some intense cops moments with a lot of info can make your stream go haywaire for few second when the action is intense but it's very stable 99% of the time in remoteplay.

I hope I haven't hit a game breaking bug, but I cannot seem to buy pursuit tech beyond level 1 right now. I've switched cars, quit and restarted the game, and when I got to buy upgrades it only shows shockwave level 1, and asks me if u want to equip it. No option to but level 2.

I hope I haven't hit a game breaking bug, but I cannot seem to buy pursuit tech beyond level 1 right now. I've switched cars, quit and restarted the game, and when I got to buy upgrades it only shows shockwave level 1, and asks me if u want to equip it. No option to but level 2.

I wasn't allowed to equip/buy higher level pursuit tech until I unlocked the Lexus.

I wonder if it is ranked locked?

BigDug13

Opening my launch ps4 tomorrow...decided not to sell it...does this have local co op or only with vita?

It doesn't have local co-op with vita, that was misreported before release that the game would support splitscreen via remote play Vita being the second screen. That feature does not exist as far as I'm aware.

legbone

I wasn't allowed to equip/buy higher level pursuit tech until I unlocked the Lexus.

I wonder if it is ranked locked?

i think it is. i got the lexus yesterday or the day before and i think i remember the message on the "results" screen that new pursuit tech was unlocked.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i have everything, now am at cop lvl 30 and need to do the 100 golds then i have platinum, dunno if i can do it having some trouble with cop golds :p

1465881_10153648709040440_1405621666_o.jpg

Vitor711

The Getaway did that on PS2. It wasn't as helpful as you might like. You need to know the distance of the upcoming turn too, so there's the issue, especially at higher speeds.

legbone

wow. i have had this game for about a week. this is a great game. it actually has stolen me away from assassin's creed 4 (i can't believe this gen is like a month old and i have a fucking backlog). the racer part of this game feels like more of a successor (sp?) to black box's most wanted from 2005 than criterion's from last year or whenever it was. but i didn't care for criterion's most wanted. i love the risk reward system of losing points. i haven't been this pissed at a game in a very long time (in a good way). then throw in a cop career that is great for calming down in between racer sessions. i have been alternating doing one racer chatper then one cop chapter. i am currently on chapter 7 cop and i'm having a great time. i can see it getting balls hard later but oh well.

anddo0

Is there a way to make "Hot Pursuit: Grand Tour" easier?

I don't know who thought this would be fun.. 26 miles in cars weaker than Atoi from Tearaway. It's not even racing, more like how much further until the next repair shop. The racing AI is a joke, your're racing against time/vehicle damage more than anything else. The final stretch (last 5 miles or so) are totally unfair. In a race to see how fast you can make the next repair shop, they take away said repair shops for the last few miles. I've come within one mile a few times, only to have the over aggressive cops pile on, fall the from the sky (yes they literally spawn from the sky) and bust me.. Let's talk about the cops and this race. No matter how much you avoid using your tech or bumping them, you hit lvl 7 heat regardless. In fact the whole race seems scripted. I wish I bought the retail version, this garbage would be going back.

I don't know who thought this would be fun.. 26 miles in cars weaker than Atoi from Tearaway. It's not even racing, more like how much further until the next repair shop. The racing AI is a joke, your're racing against time/vehicle damage more than anything else. The final stretch (last 5 miles or so) are totally unfair. In a race to see how fast you can make the next repair shop, they take away said repair shops for the last few miles. I've come within one mile a few times, only to have the over aggressive cops pile on, fall the from the sky (yes they literally spawn from the sky) and bust me.. Let's talk about the cops and this race. No matter how much you avoid using your tech or bumping them, you hit lvl 7 heat regardless. In fact the whole race seems scripted. I wish I bought the retail version, this garbage would be going back.

Shockwave and jammer are your allies.
While i do agree that the last part of the race is REally unfair.. it's totally doable and actually less broken than the "tour of the map in HP 2010"
If your car is LV 4 fully upgraded , you should be able to pass this event if you're carefull.

And yeah your only priority is to take care of vehicule damage first otherwise you're toast.

Holy shit, the gameplay balance on the racer side of this game is wretched dogshit.

The game needs balancing quick, because once you get into the higher tiers of cars on the racer side, the game starts getting irritating to play. And it's not a matter of difficulty so much as most of the game becomes busy work. You spend most of your time trying to lose cops between events, than you do actually participating in them. And not by choice.

I don't mind the risk/reward of banking stuff. That's cool. I don't mind the rubber-band AI in races and cop pursuits, it keeps them fun and intense.

It's the Heat levels and how quick on the trigger cops are to go after you that's an issue.

I can start a race (or any event), cops get involved, it's great. Then the event ends, and I have to lose the cops. Also great.

I spend the next 15 to 20 goddamn minutes losing the cops, because even if there isn't a single goddamn cop left in the viewable area of the mini-map, they can still magically see me. I see the escape bar building up and then BOOM, pursuit resumed AGAIN, despite the fact that there isn't a fucking cop within 5 miles of me. This happens 10 goddamn times in a row, before I say fuck it, head to the nearest hideout and bank 200,000 bucks, even though I would have preferred to have made that money actually completing events.

I like racing against and battling cops. It's fun. But not when all I want to do is drive to the next fucking event and start it, or figure out how the fuck to approach a particular jump.

This is how I would have balanced the game:

1) AI cops do not engage you outside of events. Human-controlled cops can, because that's fun. Out-dueling an actual human is a fun little diversion from races and events, and its extra sweet or extra painful when you know a human stole all your money. More over, human cops are given the ability to call an APB, which would call AI cops to help them against racers, but as soon as they lose the human cop, the APB ends.

2) You can provoke AI controlled cops through participating in events, or ramming them if you see them in the environment.

3) Cops can obviously engage you in events, and after the event finishes, you have to escape them.

4) Cop players are given alerts when human racers enter events in the world, which they can immediately warp into proximity of to join the chase.

5) Bring back 'escape areas' from the first Most Wanted as a way of killing of pursuits without banking your money.

6) For the love of god, why don't jammers affect helicopters? I know you can use them to counter the spike-strips they drop, but it would be nice if my electronic jamming equipment also jammed up the electronics that allowed the fucking thing to fly. Shaking helicopters is irritating as hell, and not fun in the slightest since it doesn't even have the visceral attack/defend component of fighting off cop cars.

Anyway, I'm level 37, grinding my way to 60 on the racer side, and while there are definitely bouts of fun to be had battling with racers and cops in the events, and even escaping human cops between races, the tedium of never-ending car chases with AI cops when all I want to do is go to the next goddamn event is getting tiresome.

5) For the love of god, why don't jammers affect helicopters? I know you can use them to counter the spike-strips they drop, but it would be nice if my electronic jamming equipment also jammed up the electonics that allowed the fucking thing to fly. Shaking helicopters is irritating as hell, and not fun in the slightest since it doesn't even have the visceral attack/defend component of fighting off cop cars.

I agree .. the most annoying stuff is that in HP 2010 , if you activated your jamming at the right time you could prevent ( or delay ) the appearance of the helicopter ( because the cop car was jammed ) or even call reinforcement properly. It gave us precious 15 seconds .This mecanic doesn't exist in Rivals.

The helicopter at night is way too strong. During the day ? fine . At night it's the most annoying thing in the game no doubt ..you have the most pain to shake this thing off if you're not in the forest area , and the cone of light is actively preventing you from seeing stuff propery.

Dammit.

Here's what I used. Beat it on the first try:

1) Ferrari Enzo. Every other car in that performance range is paper-mache, but the Enzo leveled up to max durability and max strength is decently tough.

2) Jammer, level 4. Protects you from EMP from behind, lets you focus on whats ahead of you.

3) ESF level 4. I use it defensively. I turn it on when a cop or another racer is about to ram me. They take damage, spin off and lose ground, and I take much less damage from their hit. You can also use it offensively, but honestly, I thinking focusing on anything other than racing in this is a mistake. Don't worry about wrecking anybody.

You do have to hit all the stations, not just to refill your damage, but also to refill your gadgets.

Good luck.

Ferrari Berlinetta and you would need to:

a. Max out it's performance
b. Equip Turbo and Max it out
c. Equip Jammer and Max it out
d. Don't miss out on refilling your turbo and jammers, thus be conscious and drive through them gas stations regularly. The final 4 mile stretch can be brutal though with just one gas station quarter mile before finish line. Use your turbo and jammer judiciously.

Just do this and you will be able to win the 25+mile intense pursuit. I beat the hot pursuit grand finale 4-5 times with the above setup.

Kosh

Just started the Racer campaign on PS4. Ran into a glitch during a race. I crashed and when I respawned just kept falling through the world over and over. It lasted about 9-10 times, I think it finally stopped after the race ended.

http://youtu.be/a4TVe4QHxeI

Seriously, I can't help but think that the racer side of this game is the worst I have ever played in the series.

Nearing level 20 and everything frustrates me. The over reliance on the small mini-map is my first pet peeve. In point-to-point events, I cannot count the amount of fucking times I've missed turns and gone the wrong way. When you're having to deal with a brigade of cop cars, rubberbanding AI and traffic that mysterously pop out of nowhere it's nearly impossible to keep track of where you're going. Why not have clearer markings and walls like in previous NFS games directing you instead of relying on an unreliable at best green arrow on the ground?

To add to this, restarting events is a pain. Needing to lose the cops to be able to instantly restart is an exercise in frustration. Losing the cops on the road is nearly impossible when your car obtains higher heat levels, which means you're constantly seeking out hideouts, and going into one means loading times and just a general disruption of flow.

Nighttime racing is horrendous when a chopper is involved and no pausing in single player mode is silly.

The cars also seem too flimsy even with upgraded durability. A few knocks and you're gone. The drift system also seems odd in this compared to Hot Pursuit, though admittedly I am playing this on a different controller compared to HP (on a DS4 ATM).

The cop side doesn't have nearly as many issues as is much more fun to play.

I'll try some more defensive tech loadouts, but to think I'm this frustrated after having not even attempted the Grand Tour event is worrying. Even the most difficult Hot Pursuit events didn't push me this much. I enjoy the idea of a risk-reward mechanic, but it needs fine tuning.

I thought the tedium of Most Wanted's offline stuff couldn't be topped, but at this stage it has been.

EDIT: After getting through Speedlist 20 with an Autolog time near 2 hours, I managed to Gold the Grand Tour first time due to the defensive F12 loadout. Helped heaps!

anyone else having problems playing the PS4 version right now?

It loads up the title screen and right after the "connecting to EA servers" message, the screen gets dark and freezes up right here.

My system is online and everything but it seems to keep hanging right here and I cant get in the game.

Top Bottom