• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

anyone else having problems playing the PS4 version right now?

It loads up the title screen and right after the "connecting to EA servers" message, the screen gets dark and freezes up right here.

My system is online and everything but it seems to keep hanging right here and I cant get in the game.

Did you download the game or are you using a disc?

Do you lose progress for switching speedlists?

Is there any way to go back and complete old speed lists?

Sorry for the noob questions. Add me btw.

RJN is my PSN I'D.

Shadow Of Doubt

Neo Member
Do you lose progress for switching speedlists?

Is there any way to go back and complete old speed lists?

Sorry for the noob questions. Add me btw.

RJN is my PSN I'D.

Indeed you do lose your progress for switching to another speedlist from an incomplete speedlist. You can complete old speedlist by going to the career overview in the garage, although I'm not certain if you have to complete the story first.

I'm looking for someone to help me complete one of the friend trophy on the PS4. My PSN ID is Shadowofdoutbs.

So uh, if anybody is looking for some help to earn a ton of cash as they grind their way past level 20 to level 60 in the racer career, and get the 500,000 trophy along the way, I think I may have figured out something that could help.

You know that story mission where the voice-over dude steals the Koenigsegg police car? Go to that mission and select any of the three driving styles (all three have the same criteria - wreck 3 cops).

Since this is a cop car, it takes just an insane amount of damage and seems to deal a fair bit more too.

But it's also insanely fast, so it's really easy to put distance between yourself and cops, and make it to repair shops.

You're forced to use two weapons - shock ram and spike strip - so you have to adjust to that, but that shouldn't take anybody too long. I mean, I was wrecking cops using spike-strips alone.

I haven't made less than 500,000 per outing since I started using it. Granted, there's no requirement to earn money once you've already hit level 20, but if you want to unlock all the cars and all the performance upgrades and all the weapons on each car, so that you have access to all of them when you're playing with/against friends online.

Here's a video I uploaded to demonstrate. It's 10 minutes long, but it should give you an idea of how much damage this car can take and deal. It starts with 36000 or so SP, but that's just from your average Medium or Hard race, so nothing special.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=639678183280

And yes, I know my driving sucks, it was late at night after drinking plenty of rum and eggnog with friends and family. You can especially tell when I use the GPS to set a path to an event less than 30 feet away, LOL

No internet today. Can't start the game.

Seriously ?

It should start up eventually. You'll get a message saying you have to sign into Origin or some shit, hit ok, then it will drop you into a single-player game. The only thing missing when I did it was the icon beside my PSN tag... for some reason I guess it loads that off PSN instead of straight of the harddrive I guess.

SkylineRKR

Shockwave and jammer are your allies.
While i do agree that the last part of the race is REally unfair.. it's totally doable and actually less broken than the "tour of the map in HP 2010"
If your car is LV 4 fully upgraded , you should be able to pass this event if you're carefull.

And yeah your only priority is to take care of vehicule damage first otherwise you're toast.

I had the Enzo, almost completely upgraded, with ESF and Jammer. During 2 or 3 occasions I missed the station but just took a U-turn to repair my vehicle anyway. I still smoked the AI, a benefit of rubber banding is that you'll never be completely out of the race. You don't need to full speed all the time if leaderboards aren't your priority.

Last part was easy I thought, but I knew that area very well. Within the last 8 miles I grabbed pole and AI cars were nowhere near me during the final 4 miles. For the odd cop I put ESF on.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
help!

just downloaded this for my ps4 last night but i keep getting a bug in the training mode!

i can't move! r2 doesn't work, l2 activates my reverse lights but doesn't move me anywhere

i uninstalled / reinstalled the game but i still get the bug :(

anyone else see this bug??

EGOMON

I don't really understand what people sees in this game i bought it after reading all the positive impressions here only to sell it two days after, its by far the worst NFS game i ever played sure it looks gorgeous but the offline and the online mode is just terrible.

No real story mode just drive a car to complete a set of objectives and the online interaction is non-existence i mean really 6 players per server in a huge ass map on a powerful new-gen consoles heck Most Wanted on PS3 had 12 players per server online.

I have now been disappointed 3 times in a row by NFS and every time i told my self i won't get the next game but this time its final am not going to buy any NFS game unless it is Underground 3.

/rant over

It should start up eventually. You'll get a message saying you have to sign into Origin or some shit, hit ok, then it will drop you into a single-player game. The only thing missing when I did it was the icon beside my PSN tag... for some reason I guess it loads that off PSN instead of straight of the harddrive I guess.

waited 10 mins. Nothing happened. I unplugged the cable and rebooted the game, worked.

I don't really understand what people sees in this game i bought it after reading all the positive impressions here only to sell it two days after, its by far the worst NFS game i ever played sure it looks gorgeous but the offline and the online mode is just terrible.

No real story mode just drive a car to complete a set of objectives and the online interaction is non-existence i mean really 6 players per server in a huge ass map on a powerful new-gen consoles heck Most Wanted on PS3 had 12 players per server online.

I have now been disappointed 3 times in a row by NFS and every time i told my self i won't get the next game but this time its final am not going to buy any NFS game unless it is Underground 3.

/rant over

NFS Rivals has a lot of problems, but a lack of a story isn't one of them. It's a racing game... do we really need [more] bad acting, dialog and stupid scenarios? Just let me race.

Never really liked the Underground games either. Whole lot of superfluous BS wrapped around rather slow, plodding racing game with bad AI and terrible event types (drag races, drift courses, etc).

I was pretty happy when Hot Pursuit came along and stripped all the Fast and the Furious BS away and bring NFS back to the heart of what made the series awesome in the first place.

Indeed you do lose your progress for switching to another speedlist from an incomplete speedlist. You can complete old speedlist by going to the career overview in the garage, although I'm not certain if you have to complete the story first.

I'm looking for someone to help me complete one of the friend trophy on the PS4. My PSN ID is Shadowofdoutbs.

Thanks for your help, tips, and just general knowledge sharing yesterday! Everyone should friend you on here, but then you woudn't have time to spend playing with me so nevermind, lol. Thanks for being an awesome gaffer.

Also, host migration during the Grand Tour had me biting my nails down to the cuticles, lol.

EGOMON

NFS Rivals has a lot of problems, but a lack of a story isn't one of them. It's a racing game... do we really need [more] bad acting, dialog and stupid scenarios? Just let me race.

Never really liked the Underground games either. Whole lot of superfluous BS wrapped around rather slow, plodding racing game with bad AI and terrible event types (drag races, drift courses, etc).

I was pretty happy when Hot Pursuit came along and stripped all the Fast and the Furious BS away and bring NFS back to the heart of what made the series awesome in the first place.

Am not expecting top notch story mode just something that push you forward and makes you feel you are accomplishing something by beating this and unlocking that.

Car customization is the most asked for feature in every racing games even sims like Gran Turismo let alone an arcade racer i agree Hot Pursuit was one of the best NFS ever made and Rivals failed to capture what made that game really fun to play even without proper story or customization.

There isn't one thing in Rivals that makes it a unique NFS game it just lack impact and the fun factor which is the core experience of an arcade racer just crazy fun that defy the law of physics.

SkylineRKR

I like Rivals a lot. I liked Hot Pursuit more but in all honesty I thought the handling in that game was rather pants and there was a shitload of Rapid Responses. Rivals has imo perfect handling and drift gameplay.

This game has more 'story' than Most Wanted 2012 which I thought was repetitive and lifeless. Just a grind to get to the next MW on the list, and those played out the same. Fairhaven was a worse location than Redwood too.

Rivals is not original by any means but to me it blends MW and HP together rather well. If there is an issue I have with this, its that there basically isn't online play. They should patch in some sort of matchmaking, class based. HP was a blast online.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm still debating picking this up. The streams of the game make it just look like a really fun arcade racer.

I miss Blur .... one of my favourite racers last gen, it deserved so much better than the lack lustre response it got. Watching the streams I'm getting abit of that vibe.

I like Rivals a lot. I liked Hot Pursuit more but in all honesty I thought the handling in that game was rather pants and there was a shitload of Rapid Responses. Rivals has imo perfect handling and drift gameplay.

This game has more 'story' than Most Wanted 2012 which I thought was repetitive and lifeless. Just a grind to get to the next MW on the list, and those played out the same. Fairhaven was a worse location than Redwood too.

Rivals is not original by any means but to me it blends MW and HP together rather well. If there is an issue I have with this, its that there basically isn't online play. They should patch in some sort of matchmaking, class based. HP was a blast online.

The rapid responses in this at a little less annoying than in HP 2010.

They aren't fun but now you're not forced to play the one you dislike to fill the playlist you want

I'm still debating picking this up. The streams of the game make it just look like a really fun arcade racer.

I miss Blur .... one of my favourite racers last gen, it deserved so much better than the lack lustre response it got. Watching the streams I'm getting abit of that vibe.

I say pick it up if you know people who have the game, and play it regularly (or at least would be willing to play it with you).

In a private friends game, it's great.

Otherwise, it may as well be a single-player game, because there's so little interaction with other human players.

leng jai

I just got up to the Grand Tour Hot Pursuit. 28.1 miles without being wrecked? Fuck me.

At this point there's pretty much no difference between "Race" and "Hot Pursuit". Every race ends up as the latter anyway.

I just got up to the Grand Tour Hot Pursuit. 28.1 miles without being wrecked? Fuck me.

At this point there's pretty much no difference between "Race" and "Hot Pursuit". Every race ends up as the latter anyway.

Yeah. It would have been nice if they did something to differentiate them. Either keep cops out of races, or maybe limit racers to only body-on-body contact, no weapons.

Anything.

Yep, had to restart the event 3 times and I finally got it.

I was in a fully upgraded Aventador with level 4 Shockwave and ESP (the static things around your car). Driving carefully and even stopping to turn around and drive through the stations to repair my car was absolutely key to completing it. Managed to get 1st place on it too!

I'm really liking the game, but it seriously has the most obnoxious rubberband AI that i've encountered in a racer. It often feels like Pursuit Tech is pointless unless you completely wreck a racer, otherwise they're going to be right on your ass throughout the race no matter what you do to them. I know that it was in HP and MW as well, but it feels like they've really ramped up just how much the AI can hang with you in Rivals.

Yep, had to restart the event 3 times and I finally got it.

I was in a fully upgraded Aventador with level 4 Shockwave and ESP (the static things around your car). Driving carefully and even stopping to turn around and drive through the stations to repair my car was absolutely key to completing it. Managed to get 1st place on it too!

The fact that the mission is to "survive" the world tour leads me to believe that none of the other racers finish it and you always get first.

NHale

I don't remember playing a game so good but with so many design flaws like this one. You simply can't breathe on this game without having the police on your tail.

And then the cutscene before the start of an event don't make you immune to damage from cops. Beyond stupid. So we are forced to see a dumb transition cutscene while the cops are able to hit you and make your car strength from 100% to 25% during that cutscene.

Seriously who designed this game? Did Ghost gave the design doc to Summer interns?

I would love to mute the police chatter so that I can just have the music and sound effects, but I haven't been able to find the option. The "Voice chat" option is for other players online, right?

Until then, I will continue to mute the entire thing while streaming stuff on my laptop.

ZeroAKA

Got first place in the Grand Tour with the default Porsche. The event doesn't seem too bad once you've completed it twice.

Still having trouble getting Vita co-op working... :/

Just completed the Cop career ..

"This is beyond stupid.."

I dunno what i was expecting maybe i raised my hopes too much when i realised it was the same story from another perspective. maybe i hoped that they could use this way to tell a story that was decent.

Damn , what a waste of cutscenes work. There is no pay-off , there is no real conclusion , there is nothing worthwhile about both campaign stories.

So let me get this straight :

Racers wants to be free
Cops wants to maintain order , but are losing facade and trust by the populace because the freedom of racers put civilians in danger.

So Cops are getting more dangerous themselves to the point that they pose a danger themselve to the public.

At this point , It's a a cat and mouse game between FBI response team and the crazyiest racers where each side think they are right.

But this lead nowhere and both sides only put fire

at this point the story is fine..now all the potential the story had goes away

A regular cop take a Racer car to cause havoc.
A racer realise this and do the same with a cop car
( This chapter does nothing )

So ..????
On the racer campaign.
Zephyr ( the player racer ) then challenge f-8( FATE ) a challenge F-8 loses , then declare a big event , a race as a open challenge for everyone.
Race happens, zephyr crashes and die but is satisfied because he made a show ( WTF )
On the cop campaign
The cops try to take down the racer network and use said network to localise Zephyr, race happens, zephyr is busted/ko/dead. The cop is out of the response team and decide to begin a career as f-8 ? ( WHAT ? )

WHAT
WHAT

Does this game wanted to insult my intelligence?
Please if i missed a point where this make sense , point it to me i'm lost. the story , so many cutscenes and No pay-off , no morale , nothing , it doesn't make sense.

Why would a cop, that might have been so frustrated by the racers attitude or annoyed by the loss of trust by the public to the point it made him use "unnaceptable methods" go to the racer side after all that he's done ??
What is the point of zephyr actions?
He made the stupidest thing possible , by basicly taunting everyone what was he expecting ? a ice cream as a reward ?

Damn this is nonsense... nonsense at the highest level. Never again , give me a racing game without story next time. maybe by skipping story entirely you would have time to polish some stupid gameplay problems that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Smokey

Put a decent amount of time into this the last few days. I like it but seems to be a bit repetitive. Goal is to get a platinum in this game but that seems like it will take quite a while to get to level 60 on both sides. Think I'm currently at 13 on cop side and 12 on racer. We'll see

Just completed the Cop career ..

"This is beyond stupid.."

[...]

Please if i missed a point where this make sense , point it to me i'm lost. the story , so many cutscenes and No pay-off , no morale , nothing , it doesn't make sense.

Why would a cop, that might have been so frustrated by the racers attitude or annoyed by the loss of trust by the public to the point it made him use "unnaceptable methods" go to the racer side after all that he's done ??
What is the point of zephyr actions?
He made the stupidest thing possible , by basicly taunting everyone what was he expecting ? a ice cream as a reward ?

Damn this is nonsense... nonsense at the highest level. Never again , give me a racing game without story next time. maybe by skipping story entirely you would have time to polish some stupid gameplay problems that shouldn't be there in the first place.
Let me think here. I beat this a month ago so I might not remember it well...

My summary you can skip this part.

Racers race. Cops chase but don't pursue too much (normal procedure)
Racers put videos up on youtube. Gains a lot of popularity. Public sees it as cops not pursing because the cops are weak.
F-8 cop upset at this and starts aggressively chasing racers. Other cops do the same. One cop crashes and dies during a chase.
Racers all over upload videos and become more popular. Racing all over the place now.
FBI steps in. Cops no longer allowed to chase racers. FBI deems racers a non-threat and handles them well.
F-8 thinks FBI is being to easy on racers. Uses a racer car and the name F-8 to take out other racers "as a racer".
A racer watches the youtube uploads of F-8 and notice he drives and pursues racers the exact same way cops do. Deems him a cop and does the same. The racer uses a cop car to wreck other cops.
This racer then challenges F-8 to a race and wins.
FBI now ssee racers as an escalating threat causing damage. They up their efforts and form a group to chase/stop the racers. F-8 is recruited for the team.
FBI locate the racer to start all the youtube uploads at the start who made racing popular and is now a sort of leader. Zephyr.
Zephyr has a final race. The cops locate Zephyr during this race and chase them all down. Zephyr uploads a youtube of the race. F-8 chases Zephyr after the race and Zephyr crashes and dies.
F-8 blamed for killing a civilian and is kicked off the team and fired. F-8 recomes a rival and challenges racers to race him. The end.

Ok with that out the way, here's my guess to answer your question.
Racer side: All throughtout the game, even on both sides, you see that racers are uploading videos to youtube and are doing this mostly for popularity. So Zephyr is happy the final race is uploaded and even happy that him crashing and dying will probably get a lot of hits on youtube.

Cop Side: F-8 sees the cops and racers as rivals. Like a Batman/Joker thing he thinks they need each other. So when he's fired from being a cop, he still needs racers. So he becomes F-8 to be a rival for racers. Also I think F-8 can't deal with people thinking the racers are 'better' than the cops/himself. So he keeps racing to prove he's better than the racers.

The racer is in it for youtube hits. The cop is in it for the rivalry and napolean complex.

Finally hit rank 60 in the Racer career, took longer than I expected (11h)

1523874_14057293030069kj8l.jpg

I'd rank it ahead of Most Wanted, but it's still behind Hot Pursuit. I still feel that HP has the best races overall. Especially the final race.
The final race in HP actually feels like a race against other cars while the final race in Rivals feels more like whether or not you can survive against the cops until the end. The actual racers shouldn't give you any issue as most of them will probably be wrecked by the end.
But I still enjoyed it a lot more than MW, which in general just had a really boring world to race arrive in.

My biggest complaint is really with how unimportant the events feel. You never really have to complete every race, Time Trials, HP etc. You can find a few that you like and then just keep repeating them whenever you have to in order to complete a speedlist. And any time you need some SP you can just grind on an Interceptor event that's near a gas station for a few minutes and you'll drive away with a few 100k with ease (more if you want it). But once you get one of the higher end cars SP really isn't needed. I found the Enzo to be the best balance when it comes to speed, handling and durability, so I stuck with it throughout the career once I finally unlocked it.

I'm still not sure if i'll start up a Cop career. I've never really cared for those in NFS games as I just like to race. I think I tried one event in HP, but that was it, while I got Gold in every racer event.

Top Bottom