• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF AUGUST Pick-Up Post!(Show us your gaming/non-gaming goods!)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
bloodline said:
So youre saying it should be blowing hot air across the heatsink...rather than pulling it off?

Here. I'll give you more examples from other people's setups rather than just mine.

I had a very good day yesterday... got all this. :)

Kirby's Adventure (NES) -- One of the great NES platformers, with working battery! -- cart only
TMNT III: The Manhattan Project (NES) -- TMNT II and III on NES were so great... -- cart only
Raiden Trad (SNES) -- classic shmup -- cart and box (no manual/insert)
Double Switch (Sega CD) -- I don't like FMV games, but I just can't resist non-sports Sega CD games... -- complete
In the Hunt (PSX) -- another great shooter! Awesome art from the team that later went on to make Metal Slug... -- complete (normal-sized jewelcase version, not longbox)
Croc 2 (PSX) -- complete
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) -- finally... -- complete
Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Atari Hits Volume 1 (Saturn) -- complete
Tomb Raider (Saturn) -- complete
NiGHTS into dreams... (Saturn) -- complete (full-case version, not the one packed with the 3d controller)

And all for just under $40, too. :)

Heroes season 1 & 2 and The Proposition on Blu-ray;

Photo0094.jpg

Marvel 1602 & Transmetropolitan v.3;

Photo0095.jpg

Preacher 1-4;

Photo0097.jpg

Crayon

I saw today that Dark Sector PS3 was 19.99 new at gamestop.

So I got that. And I'm playing it now.

This frisbee thing is pretty brutal.

Esperado

bloodline said:
So youre saying it should be blowing hot air across the heatsink...rather than pulling it off?

I tried to illustrate what was going on.

31476nc.jpg

Pretty much on the left is the way you have it set up now. The heatsink and the exhaust fans are blowing opposite of each other and it's creating dead zones that are trapping heat inside your case. The heat sink fan is also in direct confrontation with the airflow coming in the case, blowing heat away from the exhaust. If you turn the heat sink around, like it is on the right, you're going to have all the airflow going in one general direction improving the efficiency and temperatures of your cooling system. How much it improves probably lays in how strong your exhaust fans are, but its going to be an improvement nonetheless because your components will be working together, rather than against each other.

Rimshot

Esperado said:
I tried to illustrate what was going on.

31476nc.jpg

Pretty much on the left is the way you have it set up now. The heatsink and the exhaust fans are blowing opposite of each other and it's creating dead zones that are trapping heat inside your case. The heat sink fan is also in direct confrontation with the airflow coming in the case, blowing heat away from the exhaust. If you turn the heat sink around, like it is on the right, you're going to have all the airflow going in one general direction improving the efficiency and temperatures of your cooling system. How much it improves probably lays in how strong your exhaust fans are, but its going to be an improvement nonetheless because your components will be working together, rather than against each other.

You don't have to have the fan turned so it blows inwards just because you choose to put it on the side towards the outtake. And which ever side you choose as long as it blows out (only dumb people would have it blow in) the same amount of air would go through the heat sink on it's way out.

bloodline said:

If your fan now is blowing towards the exhaust, what you have set up is a pull fan. Having it "blow across the heatsink" is a push fan. Some people run both (I know it's common for those with Scythe Ninja Rev. Bs), but if you're only doing one it's more common to have a push fan.

Edit: here's a push-pull TRUE

pushpulltruedw8.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
August has been a month of happy bargain hunting during part-time summer work... The results, of which I am most proud:
august_pickups.jpg

Burnout Paradise and Uncharted were both under £15 from GAME, while DMC4 CE was £20 from Gamestation.

Accent Core for Wii, also from Gamestation, was a complete and utter steal at £5! I just couldn't refuse. Brand new as well; guess it's not selling too well...

Inherited my friend's entire collection of Kino no Tabi, as he's moving to Japan and was unloading stuff unto all. Good fun!

Esperado

Rimshot said:
You don't have to have the fan turned so it blows inwards just because you choose to put it on the side towards the outtake. And which ever side you choose as long as it blows out (only dumb people would have it blow in) the same amount of air would go through the heat sink on it's way out.

The illustration was based on the assumption that, based on his posts, he had the heatsink pointed the opposite way without remounting his fan.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
web.jpg

i got this from play-asia today, and the packaging is so elegant. you have to actually hold it in your hand to judge how nice it is, not screenshots. and the game is really enigmatic and challenging. ten bucks is a great deal for it.

Jenks

Banned
bloodline said:

You should really have it so it push`s air through the heatsink as the positive pressure pushes the air agaisnt the heatsink more.
So i think you need to flip the cooler 180degree`s but if you havent got any good thermal paste spare and your current temps are fine i wouldnt worry to much.

Quake1028

iq9dsn.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back Blu-ray
Unbreakable Blu-ray
Nixon Blu-ray
The Proposition Blu-ray
Lucky You
Planet Terror
Death Proof
Grandma's Boy

30ab4wi.jpg

True Lies
Austin Powers in Goldmember
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Idiocracy
Super Troopers
Pauly Shore is Dead

Vorador

Banned
A little late (i built it last week), but oh well.

My new rig

Still filling coolant and finishing touches...
47b0c403.jpg

And done
122fa2ac.jpg

Case: Thermaltake Kandalf LCS 249€ (inbuilt liquid cooling system)
Power Supply: Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 124€
Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula X48 227€
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 269€
Memory: Kingston DDR2-800 2x2Gb 40€ each
Graphics card: a "old" XFX 8800GTS 640 Mb (G80 core) i recovered from my old rig, i bought it in advance to get ready for my new system.
Hard disks: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300 Gb 219€ and Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750 Gb 99€. Additionally i recovered a Maxtor 320 Gb from my old system.
Optics drive: using old ones, a relatively new LG DVD burner and a very old but reliable Pionner DVD drive.

Total price of the system: 1267€ without graphics card or DVD drives.

Updated list of purchases (will post photos later)

360 Condemned 2 PAL used
360 Dead Rising (Classics) NTSC/U used
360 Rainbow Six: Vegas NTSC/J(Platinum)
360 GTA4 PAL
360 The Darkness NTSC/J

HW Samsung SyncMaster 923NW 19" LCD WS Monitor
HW ZyXel P660 802.11g ADSL2+ Wireless Router/Modem
HW AMD Athlon64 X2 5400+ Black Edition CPU
HW 2x 1GB TwinMOS PC800 RAM CL5-5-5-18 used

PC Company of Heroes DX10 Edition in the mail
PC Europa Univeralis III in the mail
PC Lucasarts Classics The Dig
PC Lucasarts Classics Day of the Tentacle / Sam & Max Hit the Road
PC Supreme Commander

Wow.. Wallet am cry, but hell - they were all very good bargains. Will post photos when I get home.

Aladuf

Banned
Here's some of the things I've picked up lately:

First is the Gears 2 LE steelbook case I got from Gamestop. I saw it there on display and had to ask if I could have one, sure enough the cashier said I could snag one. :D

ManyGAFPix011Small.jpg

iPod Touch 8 GB

ManyGAFPix010Small.jpg

Burnout Paradise for the 360, I have it for PS3 already but I wanted another one for the 360 to play with my brother online. Also, BF:BC, and Psychonauts.

ManyGAFPix009Small.jpg

I also have bought BLACK, Fable, Geometry Wars 2, and Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty but they were all downloaded off of the Xbox or PS3 so no pix for them.

Aladuf said:
Here's some of the things I've picked up lately:

First is the Gears 2 LE steelbook case I got from Gamestop. I saw it there on display and had to ask if I could have one, sure enough the cashier said I could snag one. :D

ManyGAFPix011Small.jpg

Whoa fuck, I thought you actually got the game. Until I saw the RP. Nice pick up though looks good, but I do hope thats not the official case. Was kinda hoping for a tin case like the first Gears LE.

Hive

Banned
B-Genius said:
August has been a month of happy bargain hunting during part-time summer work... The results, of which I am most proud:
august_pickups.jpg

Burnout Paradise and Uncharted were both under £15 from GAME, while DMC4 CE was £20 from Gamestation.

Accent Core for Wii, also from Gamestation, was a complete and utter steal at £5! I just couldn't refuse. Brand new as well; guess it's not selling too well...

Inherited my friend's entire collection of Kino no Tabi, as he's moving to Japan and was unloading stuff unto all. Good fun!

hey, is Kino no Tabi a light novel?? Or graphic novel? thanks!!

Danielsan

2hxpzk3.jpg

Some reading material (love the cover!) + space bucks.

n39i5k.jpg

Still need to decide what to buy with the other 900 points.

More stuff is on the way :D

inner-G

Banned
DCFC0270.jpg

Burnout Paradise = $26.99 + 25% coupon + 10% EDGE = $17.54 :D

Also, next week is killer, Disgaea AND Infinite Undiscovery. This semester is going to be tough :/

[Nintex]

B-Genius said:
august_pickups.jpg

Accent Core for Wii, also from Gamestation, was a complete and utter steal at £5!
Accent Core was released in Europe? I've never seen a copy here in the Netherlands.

Ecto311

RobertM said:
Those LEDs are kind of ugly.

Kind of? It looks like some of the Spanish fast and furious wannabe kids from my area broke in and did to your room what they do to their cars.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Chorazin said:
I would love to pick that up, but I'll be damned if I can't think of anywhere I could actually store the damn thing, it's fucking MASSIVE.
Yeah, I think I gotta get a coffee table now...

Infernal Monkey said:
Vidya games.

That controller on the left in the top picture, how is it? I was thinking about importing it and wondering if it was good or not. D-pad seems like the Nintendo cross shape and they sold one that was wireless, and the longer grips also look good.

Aladuf

Banned
XenonOxide said:
Whoa fuck, I thought you actually got the game. Until I saw the RP. Nice pick up though looks good, but I do hope thats not the official case. Was kinda hoping for a tin case like the first Gears LE.
I'm not sure if the actual case will look exactly like that but it's close I believe.. and I do know that the Gears 2 LE case will be like that and not the tin case like the LE was for Gears 1.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I got Leah Dizon's new album "COMMUNICATION!!!" and she doesn't sound near as bad as she used to... <3

No pictures yet, but I'm bringing my daughter to Disneyland tomorrow as an early birthday gift... she's going back to her Mom's place (10 hours away) next week ;(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Estarland are a bunch of bums. Two weeks later, several emails later and still no response or shipment. May have to make that one call.

Top Bottom