• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

[FINAL]
ALL EXHIBITION GAMES MUST BE PLAYED BY SUNDAY OCTOBER 26 AT MIDNIGHT EDT OR YOU WILL BE BOOTED BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS

EVERYONE MUST READ ALL (you will be booted from the league for blatant violation/ignorance of the league rules and basic info, of course feel free to ask ANY questions here or anywhere)

1. Join the NEWWWWW REGULAR SEASON FIFA 09 GAF League (in-game)
We'll be using the in-game league to run games, as a friends list/matchmaking tool. The standings, etc. in the league will of course be totally irrelevant, but setting up games through the league will allow us to play our regular season with no OT or PKs. All you need to do:
League name: 7 min neogaf
Abbreviation: gaf
password: gaf

Old league will be dissolved. You cannot play games through there.

2. Check the Schedule
You can see your game(s) on the front page of leaguedaddy or on the schedule page.

3. Contact Your Opponent
Get in touch with your opponent to schedule your game ASAP. Please try the following methods: (1) post in league thread on GAF; (2) PM on GAF; (3) contact via IM/e-mail/other info listed on leaguedaddy page; or (4) message via XBLA. Give it a few days and if your opponent doesn't respond, PM me on GAF. People not responding to messages will be booted quickly and without due process.

4. Play Your Game with the Correct Settings
Both players should boot up FIFA at the scheduled time. The HOME team should go into the GAF league (in-game) and invite their opponent to league game.

Before each game, make sure your 360 Controller Settings are correct. Shot/Cross/Pass should be set to SEMI or MANUAL and NOT AUTO. Through pass and Lobbed through pass can be set to MANUAL OR AUTO. This is in keeping with the sim nature of the league. It also makes for a better and more realistic playing experience.

5. BOTH Players Write Down Stats.
Format of schedule is [AWAY] at [HOME]. THE SECOND TEAM LISTED IS THE HOME TEAM AND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ENTERING TEAM STATS. BOTH TEAMS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ENTERING THEIR INDIVIDUAL PLAYER STATS.

TEAM STATS
Both players should write down the following team stats after the game is over (REMEMBER IN LEAGUE GAMES THERE ARE NO OTs AND NO PKs, GAME ENDS AFTER SECOND PERIOD, WRITE DOWN STATS THEN):
goals
shots
shots on target
possession %
tackles
fouls
yellow cards
red cards
injuries
offsides
corners

The HOME/INVITING team will then enter the stats on LeagueDaddy as described below. The AWAY team will be a backup and can trash the stats after HOME team has entered them and they have shown up on the site.

PLAYER STATS
Both players need to write down the following stats for THEIR OWN TEAM'S PLAYERS:
goals
man of the match
yellow cards
red cards
clean sheet (gk)

BOTH PLAYERS then go onto LeagueDaddy and enter player stats for THEIR OWN TEAM.

6. BOTH PLAYERS ENTER STATS ON LEAGUEDADDY

We have already set up your team rosters. If you need to modify them, simply:
1. Click the roster button on the “More” menu.
2. On the left is a list of teams. To add/delete/edit your roster, click on your own team.
3. Edit away. You can also add player pictures here.

To access the individual game score/stat entry page, click the “@” OR click the “enter” next to the game on the schedule.

You will then be at the stat entry page where the HOME TEAM will enter the team stats ("Game Stats") displayed at the end of a match FOR BOTH TEAMS. LD will calculate the "Shot Accuracy" automatically. Don't forget to enter scoring by periods as well.

You don’t really need to have to worry about the scoring periods. Also, you have 3 choices for saving game stats. I would click “Save without notify.” This way, it doesn’t send an email to everyone about the stats (in case they forgot to uncheck that option).

After saving the game stats, BE SURE TO ENTER PLAYER STATS. BOTH TEAMS (HOME AND AWAY) ENTER PLAYER STATS.

To enter the player stats, click on your team’s player stats option at the stat entry screen. Each player can only enter their own players’ stats.

You ONLY need to enter stats for players that SCORED A GOAL, WON MAN OF THE MATCH, GOT A YELLOW CARD OR GOT A RED CARD.

If you don’t see a player that you need to enter stats for, you will need to add him to the roster, but this shouldn’t be a problem.

For goalies, just enter a "1" if they won or got a clean sheet. Same for Man of the Match, enter a "1" for him or her.

Be sure to check "Save currently selected players as default lineup." It will save your current players so you don’t have to keep finding them in the drop down window. Don’t forget to SAVE!

STATS ARE REQUIRED
If a player fails to write down stats twice due to anything other than being disconnected from the game, that player will be booted from the league immediately. The entire point of us paying for league and everyone going through the effort of entering stats is to be able to see how we stack up against each other, and one bad apple ruins it for everyone.

Note: To get rid of the email notifications that are sent out when someone enters the league or when a game is played, click on “my profile”. Make sure “update notifications” is UNCHECKED.

Schedules and Playing Games Requirement
Your schedules will be finalized after the final league is set Sunday, Oct. 29th, and will be available at both the Schedule Page and your Individual Team Pages.

Disconnects
Since this is EA and disconnects are bound to happen, we've come up with a temporary solution:

if the disconnect happens in the 1st half, replay the match.

if the disconnect happens in the 2nd half, start a new game, but have the initial conditions as the conditions in the original game when the disconnect occurred.

ie. if it's 2-1 in the 75th min and the disconnect happens...make a new game but only play the first 15 minutes.

as for stats, player stats should be fairly easy. as for team stats, either input them to the best of your ability, just don't overestimate

Sportsmanship
It is very important that players try their hardest in every game. Since there are no carryover injuries or cards, there is absolutely no excuse for not playing your best regardless of if you are 0-2 or 2-0, as mailing it in could have an unfair impact on others in your group, and even keep someone out of the playoffs. So play hard in every game. An 0-4 result doesn’t mean someone didn’t put in effort, so don’t worry about results, just play your best down to the very last game.

Use the proper settings above.

Submit all results correctly. We are assuming that everyone will be honest since there is no prize beyond the first pick for the champion (whoo) and bragging rights (whee), but if we are PMed about a situation where someone inaccurately reported and it seems deliberate or is a pattern, that person will be booted.

The same goes for consistent apathy or carelessness in submitting stats or playing games. We put a lot of work into putting together this league, but it completely breaks down for everyone if anyone is ditching games, improperly entering stats, etc.

If anyone has ANY PROBLEM whatsoever with someone’s reporting, sportsmanship, or LITERALLY ANYTHING RELATED TO THE LEAGUE, contact woodchuck, FFVIII, or me.

Playoffs and Cup
The division leaders will automatically qualify for the playoffs. The next four spots will be assigned on the basis of points, then goal differential, then whatever we well please. So 16 teams will make the playoffs. The next 4 teams in each conference will qualify for the XVII Cup, our league equivalent of the UEFA Cup, which will have eight participants vying for the coveted title of "17th-best team in the league." Playoff format TBD, likely 2/3.

Teams said:
Team (GAF Name/Gamertag) Time Zone

16. Toronto FC (Shinobi/Shinobi 435) EDT
29. New England Revolution (Daigoro/Matty Thorns) US/EST
24. Columbus Crew (Magicked/Magicked) US/EDT
14. Athletic Bilbao (sneaky77/sneaky77) EDT

1. Barcelona (AstroLad/AstroTheLad) EDT
3. Manchester United (fifty/TBD) EDT
4. Arsenal (Viva Anticon/viva anticon) PDT
5. Liverpool (TheRoodster/Roodster56) PDT

2. Olympique Lyonnais (woodchuck/Dr Tim Whatley) CDT
6. Real Madrid (striKeVillain!/Strikevillain) EDT
7. AC Milan (ChrisGoldstein/AndresON777)
10. Chelsea (fivehorizons/fivehorizons) CDT

22. Atletico Madrid (OxtheMidget/RobMonge) EDT
25. Ajax (cheesybread/LOL CANCER) EDT
31. FC Schalke 04 (SNUG REVOL/Regret Truth) EDT
32. Manchester City (zombieshavebrains/nietzschezombie) EDT

18. Sevilla (Tf53/Tf53) GMT +2
19. Valencia (Level 8 Boss/Level 7 Boss) UK/GMT
27. Villarreal (Ajay1986/The KingSlayer) UK/GMT
31. Osasuna (itxaka/itxaka) GMT+1

12. Bayern Munich (cjelly/CrunchinJelly) UK/GMT
9. Inter Milan (replayy/SVN 19) UK/GMT
23. Juventus (Feral Youth/Feral Youth) UK/GMT
20. AS Roma (FF_VIII/Drunken Hobo 85) UK/GMT

13. Olympique Marseille (kobashi100/kobashi100) UK/GMT
30. Fiorentina (Exypher/Exypher) Netherlands/GMT+1
28. Hamburger SV (dk_/dkwhip) GMT+1 Germany
26. Werder Bremen (Frenck/Frenck) GMT+1 Germany

8. Sunderland AFC (Gowans007/Gowans007) UK/GMT
11. Portsmouth (tse88) UK/GMT
15. Nottingham Forest (N.A./AllApologies17) UK/GMT
21. Bristol City (Larsen B/Larsen B) UK/GMT

sneaky77

I signed up at League Daddy

GT: sneaky77
Team: Athletic Bilbao
Time:EST

Yahooim: valioso78 but I can also check xbox.com while at work if someone prefers to message over live

N.A

Banned
Just signed up:

GT: AllApologies17
Team: Nottingham Forest
Time: GMT

Prepare to see this a lot:
0,,10308~3738701,00.jpg

Magicked

Team: Columbus Crew
GT: magicked

I've signed up on LeagueDaddy. The Crew need to put down TFC! :D

woodchuck

as of right now, everyone who signed up so far should be assigned their respective team.

I'm going to move around the divisions so the weaker teams can play in the same division if they're in the same conference.

So I might put Nottingham/cardiff/bristol city/sunderland in one division

woodchuck

people who have not registered at league daddy:

Bristol City (Larsen B/Larsen B) UK/GMT
Valencia (Level 7 Boss/Level 7 Boss) UK/GMT
Bayern Munich (cjelly/CrunchinJelly) UK/GMT
Liverpool (TheRoodster/Roodster56) PDT
Toronto FC (Shinobi/Shinobi 435) EDT
Ajax (cheesybread/LOL CANCER) EDT

If you have registered and joined the league, make sure the team that you're assigned to is the team that you signed up for. I could have made a mistake.

Tf53

woodchuck said:
haha, nice job with the power rankings
You're upping the pressure, AstroLad! :D Plus, if we ever meet, I don't have the heart to beat Barca even if I had the skills!

What's up people, just signed up to leaguedaddy.

Gaf Name: Level 8 Boss
Gamertag: Level 7 Boss
Time zone: UK GMT
Team: Valencia

Anyone up for any pre-season games, feel free to add me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
(Posted in the other thread).

Just a heads-up that we are going to schedule one exhibition game for everyone and will post the matchups next Thursday, and the matchups will have to be played and stats entered on LeagueDaddy (woodchuck is prepping a tutorial for this; it's really easy) by Friday, October 24th at midnight EDT.

This gives you at least seven full days to play one game (whereas in the regular league we'll be doing two games or so a week). This will also let us make the schedule and start the regular games late Saturday the 25th. It will also let us boot out any flakes before we spend time putting the schedules together, so if you flake out on you exhibition game we'll just boot you which will save us a lot of headaches later (though hopefully no one will be booted).

Larsen B

After 5 losses in a row in Manager mode, I'm starting to think supporting the local side may have been a dreadful mistake.

Nevertheless, I shall soldier on!

Just a few questions...

1) Are the CPU assists up to the individual player's discretion?

2) Will each game be set-up the same, eg. 5 minute halves, no extra time, no PK?

3) Is the schedule like fantasy football, eg. play each team in your division twice and everyone else in your conference once?

And finally...

Providing that everything goes well, after the final game, it'd be pretty fun to have a 10 v 10 game, either EU vs US or just 20 of us who can make it.

Ajay1986

I've put my name down for Villarreal, im just hoping i start to get better soon because i got my arse handed to me last night in a few online matches.

Gaf Name: Ajay1986
Gamertag: The KingSlayer
Time zone: GMT
Team: Villarreal

Fifty

GAF - Fifty
Gamertag - Che Guevera
Timezone - Eastern US/Canada (Toronto)
Team - Manchester United (Don't hate me!)

I hope this is a great success. Looks like lots of people are interested. Let's make this work!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Larsen B said:
Just a few questions...

1) Are the CPU assists up to the individual player's discretion?

2) Will each game be set-up the same, eg. 5 minute halves, no extra time, no PK?

3) Is the schedule like fantasy football, eg. play each team in your division twice and everyone else in your conference once?

And finally...

Providing that everything goes well, after the final game, it'd be pretty fun to have a 10 v 10 game, either EU vs US or just 20 of us who can make it.

I will answer your questions . . . with more questions!

1. This can be enforced I believe, something to look into perhaps, maybe at least stopping people from using auto-shot although in my experience auto vs. semi isn't a huge advantage either way. We certainly won't force anyone to use manual anything unless they want to.

2. I believe this is limited--I could be wrong since I don't have the game but I think you are locked into 2 OT periods and PKs (please tell me if not). What we'll do if that's the case is if OT ends in a draw, then the game is tied (and PKs are just done for "fun" and to get to the stats pages).

3. This is still slightly up in the air, but yes most likely that is very close to what we'll do.

Bonus Question: 10 v. 10 game would be very fun. I think with the GAF clan tag we have a nice big roster to choose from for many games actually.

I hope this is a great success. Looks like lots of people are interested. Let's make this work!

YES! Winning Eleven 9 redux. Most fun I've ever had with anything gaming related really.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
After 5 losses in a row in Manager mode, I'm starting to think supporting the local side may have been a dreadful mistake.

Also the nice thing is you're currently in a division with Aston Villa, Cardiff City, Nottingham Forest, and Sunderland!

Larsen B

AstroLad said:
I will answer your questions . . . with more questions!

1. This can be enforced I believe, something to look into perhaps, maybe at least stopping people from using auto-shot although in my experience auto vs. semi isn't a huge advantage either way. We certainly won't force anyone to use manual anything unless they want to.

2. I believe this is limited--I could be wrong since I don't have the game but I think you are locked into 2 OT periods and PKs (please tell me if not). What we'll do if that's the case is if OT ends in a draw, then the game is tied (and PKs are just done for "fun" and to get to the stats pages).

3. This is still slightly up in the air, but yes most likely that is very close to what we'll do.

Bonus Question: 10 v. 10 game would be very fun. I think with the GAF clan tag we have a nice big roster to choose from for many games actually.

And I shall reply to your questions with... nodding.

1) I much prefer playing on semi or the hilarity of an all-manual match, but in a competition, I don't want to be beaten by a little help from the computer!

2) I don't think I've even checked about the extra time options yet. Every game I've played has been up to penalties though, so it seems likely that it's locked.

3) *nods*

AstroLad said:
Also the nice thing is you're currently in a division with Aston Villa, Cardiff City, Nottingham Forest, and Sunderland!

That's the only positive!

With the exception of Villa, I can see the Gervais division being a war of attrition over who can lose games by the lowest margin.

(No offence Sunderland fans, but after the 1-1 draw last weekend, you're on my list)

woodchuck

Larsen B said:
Ar!

2) I don't think I've even checked about the extra time options yet. Every game I've played has been up to penalties though, so it seems likely that it's locked.

Is there any way you can check for a custom match? It might not show the option before the match starts. It will probably show the options for "draw, golden goal, classic goal, etc" after the first 90 min if it's a tie.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tf53 said:
Personally, I'm for no overtime, at least not for the regular season.

Yeah the problem is I don't think we can actually choose no OT online. Think it's like Euro where it's just fixed as regular OT + penalties.

woodchuck

it'd be nice if you guys with the game can give us confirmation!

i doubt you can choose it through ranked match.

so try it through "custom unranked match". option will either appear when you set the game up or after 90 minutes if it's a tie.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
realistically ea should just send us copies. we have elevated fifa to heavens it has never reached on gaf after all

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
EU Co-Commissioner Needed

Following up on the point above, it would really help us if we could have an EU co-commissioner. Sort of the NWO Eric Bischoff to our NA WCW. Neither of us expected the league to get this big and we want to do it right on all fronts so our work this far isn't for naught.

You would have the great honor of being labeled Co-Commisioner on the site (and the accompanying editing rights to doll up the site with goatse one drunken evening. NO) and you could also help us with getting some of the pre-season stuff together (fixing the rosters woodchuck has created, taking screenshots for the stat-entry tutorial, etc.) as well as getting to boss around the rest of the EUers a la Hitler, except without most of the bad stuff.

Wouldn't be a huge commitment or anything, just a big help to us to have a point person in Sonyland. Anyone interested please post here and PM me your AIM.

Top Bottom