• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

Daigoro

Tf53 said:
Are we meant to play overtime even in regular season games? I understand the American mentality of the impossibility of not having a winner, but footie games don't have overtime unless it's a playoff game.

we dont use overtime in MLS except for knock-out/playoff games.

and yeah playing OT would totally screw up our stat tracking process Fifa 09. that would stink if we cant set it to off somehow.

Magicked said:
I'm really excited about this! I finally played some of the demo yesterday (for the first time), and I was just terrible. Hopefully I'll be able to practice a good bit before actual matches start.

Also, I definitely believe FIFA has topped PES now. Almost everything feels right about it. I know people complain about things like the ball physics, but they actually seem pretty good to me. I especially like how overpowered shots naturally rise as they fly over the goal.

Can't wait until Wednesday.:D

good! then maybe ill have a fighting chance in our preseason game! :p

nah, ill probably be a good matchup for you preseason. im sure the difference in team skills is huge in Fifa, and im pretty bad a Fifa in general so far. we'll get in some good practice time before we have to face off for our first match.

woodchuck said:
yeah, i'm all for disallowing players to cut off the short goal kick.

we're going to try to cut down on all the cheesing found in random online matches.

another rule may be to not cut off the throw-in if the team is in its own half unless it's under special circumstances (down by a goal, less than 5 minutes left, etc). we'll finalize all the "rules" and stuff later this week.

sounds like it might be kind of hard to enforce these (especially the throw in rule), but im all for less cheesing in the league.

in the heat of the moment in game though it just might be hard to agree on whats fair or not. i guess we'll see.

Magicked

Daigoro said:
good! then maybe ill have a fighting chance in our preseason game! :p

nah, ill probably be a good matchup for you preseason. im sure the difference in team skills is huge in Fifa, and im pretty bad a Fifa in general so far. we'll get in some good practice time before we have to face off for our first match.

Good, I'm glad I may not get my ass beat. :lol I'm trying to practice a bit on the demo, but I still miss a lot of easy chances. I should have my copy on Wednesday (Tuesday if I'm lucky)!

Daigoro said:
sounds like it might be kind of hard to enforce these (especially the throw in rule), but im all for less cheesing in the league.

in the heat of the moment in game though it just might be hard to agree on whats fair or not. i guess we'll see.

I'm not sure how I feel about these rules. I mean, it's perfectly valid in a real match to bring your forwards up to try to cut off the short pass from the keeper. It may not be useful all the time, but you can do it. But this sort of rule may depend on the mechanics of the game as well, and I only have the demo to go by at this point. If the game makes it impossible to keep possession if someone does this, then there should probably be a rule against it. Same goes for throw ins. I mean, you can hold the long pass button to put more power on the throw.

woodchuck said:
you mean the 10v10 club team?

I think QVT (posts a lot in the football thread) is starting that up and creating a thread for it

That sounds like a good time...you can stick where i cant cause any trouble. Hopefully I can adapt to this version. My goal scoring skills are crap...its the damn shot bar at the bottom i just cant left off the button.

k0ji-wd

Breaking my posting clean sheet to join the league :lol . I'm in Australia but I should be pretty flexible with time scheduling.

So if it's alright, I'd like to take Manchester City (United was taken, so I guess I'll have to sleep with the enemy then.)

Team: Manchester City
GamerTag: tse88
Timezone:UTC/GMT +11 hours

I'll sign up for Leaguedaddy after the apple presentation coming up. . .

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
k0ji-wd said:
Breaking my posting clean sheet to join the league :lol . I'm in Australia but I should be pretty flexible with time scheduling.

So if it's alright, I'd like to take Manchester City (United was taken, so I guess I'll have to sleep with the enemy then.)

Team: Manchester City
GamerTag: tse88
Timezone:UTC/GMT +11 hours

I'll sign up for Leaguedaddy after the apple presentation coming up. . .

What league is better for you to play in, euro or NA or both (i.e. better to play against us players or europe players time-wise)? I'll put you on the correct w/l (currently you'd be first in line to get in the euro conference and second to get in the NA conference).

Also the person on the NA waitlist just took Man. City so please pick another team for now.

k0ji-wd

AstroLad said:
What league is better for you to play in, euro or NA or both (i.e. better to play against us players or europe players time-wise)? I'll put you on the correct w/l (currently you'd be first in line to get in the euro conference and second to get in the NA conference).

Also the person on the NA waitlist just took Man. City so please pick another team for now.

I'll take Tottenham then. . .NA would be a lot better in terms of time difference, too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ok so I'll put you in the EU waiting list provided you feel you can make your matches with euros time-wise.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Exhibition Update:

The League Guide be up either tomorrow or Friday at the latest, and exhibition games will begin on Saturday, with the deadline now being extended to the following Sunday. Anyone can, of course, contact their opponent now on GAF/e-mail/IM/whatever to schedule a time to play the game. As a friendly preaching-to-the-choir reminder, anyone who does not play their exhibition game will be booted from the league once it is determined who the culprit is (or if both are flakes, both will be booted).

woodchuck

as a little addendum to that, i found that PM or posting in this thread works out great for scheduling games (since posting in this thread also shows who is or isn't active)

we understand people have busy lives or emergencies come up. if so, just post about it in the thread if you can and let us know as opposed to just disappearing randomly.

for example, in another league, one of the members told us ahead of time that he wouldn't be available due to his honeymoon. everyone understood and we just subbed 1 or 2 games for him.

but if you don't post about, we'll have no idea what to do.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
definitely. i'd put the order like this. from Rules draft:

Get in touch with your opponent to schedule your game ASAP. Please try the following methods: (1) post in league thread on GAF; (2) PM on GAF; (3) contact via IM/e-mail/other info listed on leaguedaddy page; (4) contact via XBL message. Give it a few days and if your opponent doesn't respond, PM me on GAF.

Tf53

I already know I'll be very busy from around the 28th to the 3rd, so if there are games around that time, I'll try to reschedule them. Remember, people, talking helps no matter what the occasion. :)

Fifty

AstroLad said:
definitely. i'd put the order like this. from Rules draft:

Get in touch with your opponent to schedule your game ASAP. Please try the following methods: (1) post in league thread on GAF; (2) PM on GAF; (3) contact via IM/e-mail/other info listed on leaguedaddy page. Give it a few days and if your opponent doesn't respond, PM me on GAF.

Method #2 is probably the best, since it doesn't clutter up the thread, and there's no searching for messages. If you see a message in the top-right corner, you can address it instantly without searching the thread. Of course, if you're dealing with someone who has never used GAF's PMs or never checks them, it's annoying.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
also guys, try not to get banned :lol

yes. although this is one benefit of having the league message board, the neogaf09 clan we've made, the fifa leagues we're going to make etc. LOTS of ways to get in touch with who you need to get in touch with.

shoplifter

Mark me down for Everton in the NA division, I'll be what, 3rd on the waitlist?

club: Everton
gt: shoplift3r
timezone: GMT +5

Fifty

If people would put their gamertag in their leaguedaddy profile, that'd be great. I know astro and woodchuck are going to consolidate all the info, but being able to click on your opponent's name on the site and know his gamertag instantly is a good thing.

http://www.leaguedaddy.com/profile/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fifty said:
If people would put their gamertag in their leaguedaddy profile, that'd be great. I know astro and woodchuck are going to consolidate all the info, but being able to click on your opponent's name on the site and know his gamertag instantly is a good thing.

http://www.leaguedaddy.com/profile/

Also IMs. IMing is SOOOO much easier than PMing or really anything else.

AstroLad said:
Also IMs. IMing is SOOOO much easier than PMing or really anything else.
Very true. Is everyone using AIM?(bleh) Any of you use Google Talk? Much better app and you can use it directly from your web browser.

Personally this would work much better for me since I've got Google Talk on my blackberry.

woodchuck

READ:

Due to the fact that we can't prevent OT/PKs in unranked,custom matches, we've decided to create an in-game league to play all the matches. The in-game leagues end the games at 90 minutes.

We'll be doing all our stat keeping and organization through leaguedaddy but will play all our games through the in-game leagues.

To join...

Xbox Live > online game modes > online leagues > search leagues >

just search for the league:

title: neogaf league
abbreviation: gaf
password: gaf

You have to join the in-game league to play the games otherwise you'll end up going to OT or PKs which can cause a lot of problems.

N.A

Banned
I've joined the league.

I've just been practising playing as Nottingham Forest online, it's going well:

e6oygz.jpg

:D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here is the draft of the league guide for use in getting together your exhibition games. Draft may be tweaked as necessary for clarification before the season starts. Play your exhibition games according to the guide.

[Draft 1.2]
ALL EXHIBITION GAMES MUST BE PLAYED BY SUNDAY OCTOBER 26 AT MIDNIGHT EDT OR YOU WILL BE BOOTED BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS

EVERYONE MUST READ ALL (you will be booted from the league for blatant violation/ignorance of the league rules and basic info, of course feel free to ask ANY questions here or anywhere)

1. Join the FIFA 09 GAF League (in-game)
We'll be using the in-game league to run games, as a friends list/matchmaking tool. The standings, etc. in the league will of course be totally irrelevant, but setting up games through the league will allow us to play our regular season with no OT or PKs. All you need to do is go to Leagues and search for "gaf" and pick the "neogaf league" (it is private and requires a password), enter the password (gaf), and pick your team. If your opponent has not registered you will NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY YOUR GAME.

2. Check the Schedule
You can see your game(s) on the front page of leaguedaddy or on the schedule page.

3. Contact Your Opponent
Get in touch with your opponent to schedule your game ASAP. Please try the following methods: (1) post in league thread on GAF; (2) PM on GAF; (3) contact via IM/e-mail/other info listed on leaguedaddy page; or (4) message via XBLA. Give it a few days and if your opponent doesn't respond, PM me on GAF. People not responding to messages will be booted quickly and without due process.

4. Play Your Game with the Correct Settings
Both players should boot up FIFA at the scheduled time. The HOME team should go into the GAF league (in-game) and invite their opponent to league game.

Before each game, make sure your 360 Controller Settings are correct. Shot/Cross/Pass should be set to SEMI or MANUAL and NOT AUTO. Through pass and Lobbed through pass can be set to MANUAL OR AUTO. This is in keeping with the sim nature of the league. It also makes for a better and more realistic playing experience.

5. BOTH Players Write Down Stats.
Format of schedule is [AWAY] at [HOME]. THE SECOND TEAM LISTED IS THE HOME TEAM AND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ENTERING TEAM STATS. BOTH TEAMS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ENTERING THEIR INDIVIDUAL PLAYER STATS.

TEAM STATS
Both players should write down the following team stats after the game is over (REMEMBER IN LEAGUE GAMES THERE ARE NO OTs AND NO PKs, GAME ENDS AFTER SECOND PERIOD, WRITE DOWN STATS THEN):
goals
shots
shots on target
possession %
tackles
fouls
yellow cards
red cards
injuries
offsides
corners

The HOME team will then enter the stats on LeagueDaddy as described below. The AWAY team will be a backup and can trash the stats after HOME team has entered them and they have shown up on the site.

PLAYER STATS
Both players need to write down the following stats for THEIR OWN TEAM'S PLAYERS:
goals
man of the match
yellow cards
red cards
wins (gk)
clean sheet (gk)

BOTH PLAYERS then go onto LeagueDaddy and enter player stats for THEIR OWN TEAM.

6. BOTH PLAYERS ENTER STATS ON LEAGUEDADDY

We have already set up your team rosters. If you need to modify them, simply:
1. Click the roster button on the “More” menu.
2. On the left is a list of teams. To add/delete/edit your roster, click on your own team.
3. Edit away. You can also add player pictures here.

To access the individual game score/stat entry page, click the “@” OR click the “enter” next to the game on the schedule.

You will then be at the stat entry page where the HOME TEAM will enter the team stats ("Game Stats") displayed at the end of a match FOR BOTH TEAMS. LD will calculate the "Shot Accuracy" automatically. Don't forget to enter scoring by periods as well.

You don’t really need to have to worry about the scoring periods. Also, you have 3 choices for saving game stats. I would click “Save without notify.” This way, it doesn’t send an email to everyone about the stats (in case they forgot to uncheck that option).

After saving the game stats, BE SURE TO ENTER PLAYER STATS. BOTH TEAMS (HOME AND AWAY) ENTER PLAYER STATS.

To enter the player stats, click on your team’s player stats option at the stat entry screen. Each player can only enter their own players’ stats.

You ONLY need to enter stats for players that SCORED A GOAL, WON MAN OF THE MATCH, GOT A YELLOW CARD OR GOT A RED CARD.

If you don’t see a player that you need to enter stats for, you will need to add him to the roster, but this shouldn’t be a problem.

For goalies, just enter a "1" if they won or got a clean sheet. Same for Man of the Match (if a GOALIE wins man of the match, enter him in under Players as well as Goalies), enter a "1" for him or her.

Be sure to check "Save currently selected players as default lineup." It will save your current players so you don’t have to keep finding them in the drop down window. Don’t forget to SAVE!

STATS ARE REQUIRED
If a player fails to write down stats twice due to anything other than being disconnected from the game, that player will be booted from the league immediately. The entire point of us paying for league and everyone going through the effort of entering stats is to be able to see how we stack up against each other, and one bad apple ruins it for everyone.

Note: To get rid of the email notifications that are sent out when someone enters the league or when a game is played, click on “my profile”. Make sure “update notifications” is UNCHECKED.

Schedules and Playing Games Requirement
Your schedules will be finalized after the final league is set Sunday, Oct. 29th, and will be available at both the Schedule Page and your Individual Team Pages.

Sportsmanship
It is very important that players try their hardest in every game. Since there are no carryover injuries or cards, there is absolutely no excuse for not playing your best regardless of if you are 0-2 or 2-0, as mailing it in could have an unfair impact on others in your group, and even keep someone out of the playoffs. So play hard in every game. An 0-4 result doesn’t mean someone didn’t put in effort, so don’t worry about results, just play your best down to the very last game.

Use the proper settings above.

Submit all results correctly. We are assuming that everyone will be honest since there is no prize beyond the first pick for the champion (whoo) and bragging rights (whee), but if we are PMed about a situation where someone inaccurately reported and it seems deliberate or is a pattern, that person will be booted.

The same goes for consistent apathy or carelessness in submitting stats or playing games. We put a lot of work into putting together this league, but it completely breaks down for everyone if anyone is ditching games, improperly entering stats, etc.

If anyone has ANY PROBLEM whatsoever with someone’s reporting, sportsmanship, or LITERALLY ANYTHING RELATED TO THE LEAGUE, contact woodchuck, FFVIII, or me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Roxas said:

When you look at the schedule, it says e.g. Ajax at Manchester City. Pretty obvious Man City is the home team, but also important because home team creates the game and sends the invite online, and also especially b/c home team enters all TEAM stats (though both teams enter PLAYER stats).

Roxas

I know but when you put Team A vs Team B, and Team B is the Home team...it just looks kinda wierd...

It always goes Home vs Away. Just a minor gripe but ill get used to it :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah all that really matters is that both players know who the home team is before their game, and that should be readily apparent from the LD site thankfully.

Fifty

I'd hate to see any team stats go unrecorded, so I might suggest putting that rule (Home team enters in BOTH TEAM'S TEAM STATS, while both teams enter in THEIR OWN PLAYER STATS) on the main league daddy page, for the first couple of weeks maybe. It's a big one, and it could be overlooked. Heck, I forgot it myself until now.

I know we had some confusion in the Madden league when we initiated a rule like that

edit: Or better yet, leave it as is and then boot people without mercy if they're not smart enough to read all the rules, and they forget to enter in my team stats!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fifty said:
I'd hate to see any team stats go unrecorded, so I might suggest putting that rule (Home team enters in BOTH TEAM'S TEAM STATS, while both teams enter in THEIR OWN PLAYER STATS) on the main league daddy page, for the first couple of weeks maybe. It's a big one, and it could be overlooked. Heck, I forgot it myself until now.

I know we had some confusion in the Madden league when we initiated a rule like that

edit: Or better yet, leave it as is and then boot people without mercy if they're not smart enough to read all the rules, and they forget to enter in my team stats!

done. also nice thing about exhibition--iron out some of the kinks first.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Fifty said:

I have add, i'm doomed

edit--prints up rules

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ChrisGoldstein said:
I have add, i'm doomed

edit--prints up rules

yeah, pretty much once you read them and do it once (exhibition) the process is very simple and quick. should take no more than five minutes from end of match to all stats entered.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AstroLad said:
yeah, pretty much once you read them and do it once (exhibition) the process is very simple and quick. should take no more than five minutes from end of match to all stats entered.

I just hope everyone does it I dont really mind, it'll be nice after a few games to see all the stats and rankings.

Daigoro

shits about to get REAL!

ive already contacted my preseason opponent fivehorizons and we are working on scheduling our first game (after some much needed practice).

question: are the preseason games part of the league as well? (i havent joined it in game yet). if so i guess they wont have overtime/pentalies etc?

just curious.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Daigoro said:
shits about to get REAL!

ive already contacted my preseason opponent fivehorizons and we are working on scheduling our first game (after some much needed practice).

question: are the preseason games part of the league as well? (i havent joined it in game yet). if so i guess they wont have overtime/pentalies etc?

just curious.

Yeah, you play your preseason game through the in-game league (just like regular season games) so it will have no OT or PKs.

woodchuck

Roxas said:
I know but when you put Team A vs Team B, and Team B is the Home team...it just looks kinda wierd...

It always goes Home vs Away. Just a minor gripe but ill get used to it :lol

USA USA USA

Fifty

There's a public 'gaf' league with 5 people in it, and only 4 in the private 'neogaf' league that we're supposed to join. just a heads up.

Fifty

Well, StrikeV and I popped the league's cherry. We played to an entertaining 1-1 draw. So all of you people who voted were wrong.

StrikeVillain was messaging me saying that he didn't know if we had to enter stats for the preseason game (YES, because this is a warmup to see if people know what to do, and if you read the instructions you will know)

EDIT: Strike, I see that you've input your team stats but not mine. The rules state that the home team enters in both team's. The away team only does his player stats. Maybe you've written them down and will enter them in later, but if not, I'm glad this is a preseason game.

and where to do it (Under "Your Games"..where the one and only preseason game is listed)

If your computer isn't near your TV, you can just write down the team stats and input them online. It's really, really easy. In Madden we have to input a ridiculous # of stats for the teams and all of the players. You guys have it easy.

It was a fun game, even though I haven't perfected my camera and he seriously outplayed me in the first half. I'm really glad that there was zero lag..and the length was solid. I could see 7 minutes being a bit better, because that flew by..but 6 isn't bad by any means.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yep, also remember that BOTH teams should write down ALL team stats even though only the home team enters those stats. this is to have a backup b/c it is a huge pain in the ass and tons of work (way more than it would take you to properly record stats for the entire season) for us to make up stats where no stats exist.

It was a fun game, even though I haven't perfected my camera and he seriously outplayed me in the first half. I'm really glad that there was zero lag..and the length was solid. I could see 7 minutes being a bit better, because that flew by..but 6 isn't bad by any means.

that is an idea. really this exhibition period is to test the game out and perfect the league as much as possible. so impressions/questions/suggestions are VERY welcome.

I just have to make one more point too, even though I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here (although fyi the remaining league will be only the choir after I boot people for not following rules/stat entry/playing games after exhibitions): This league is NOT just about playing a game once in a while with some gaffers. That's what your friends list is for. This league is about having the usual fun that goes along with that, but ALSO (very important) about the added atmosphere of being in a real "league" with real statistics, real rivalries, interesting matchups, star players, etc. MOST IMPORTANTLY THIS MEANS YOU HAVE TO ENTER STATS CORRECTLY AND FOLLOW THE RULES, WHICH SHOULD TAKE ALL OF FIVE MINUTES TO READ.

woodchuck

just moving the list to this thread. feel free to move it to the OP if you want or link to this post.

Team (GAF Name/Gamertag) Time Zone

16. Toronto FC (Shinobi/Shinobi 435) EDT
29. New England Revolution (Daigoro/Matty Thorns) US/EST
24. Columbus Crew (Magicked/Magicked) US/EDT
14. Athletic Bilbao (sneaky77/sneaky77) EDT

1. Barcelona (AstroLad/AstroTheLad) EDT
3. Manchester United (fifty/TBD) EDT
4. Arsenal (Viva Anticon/viva anticon) PDT
5. Liverpool (TheRoodster/Roodster56) PDT

2. Olympique Lyonnais (woodchuck/Dr Tim Whatley) CDT
6. Real Madrid (striKeVillain!/Strikevillain) EDT
7. AC Milan (ChrisGoldstein/AndresON777)
10. Chelsea (fivehorizons/fivehorizons) CDT

22. Atletico Madrid (OxtheMidget/RobMonge) EDT
25. Ajax (cheesybread/LOL CANCER) EDT
31. FC Schalke 04 (SNUG REVOL/Regret Truth) EDT
32. Manchester City (zombieshavebrains/nietzschezombie) EDT

18. Sevilla (Tf53/Tf53) GMT +2
19. Valencia (Level 7 Boss/Level 7 Boss) UK/GMT
27. Villarreal (Ajay1986/The KingSlayer) UK/GMT
31. Osasuna (itxaka/itxaka) GMT+1

12. Bayern Munich (cjelly/CrunchinJelly) UK/GMT
9. Inter Milan (replayy/SVN 19) UK/GMT
23. Juventus (Feral Youth/Feral Youth) UK/GMT
20. AS Roma (FF_VIII/Drunken Hobo 85) UK/GMT

13. Olympique Marseille (kobashi100/kobashi100) UK/GMT
30. Fiorentina (Exypher/Exypher) Netherlands/GMT+1
28. Hamburger SV (dk_/dkwhip) GMT+1 Germany
26. Werder Bremen (Frenck/Frenck) GMT+1 Germany

8. Sunderland AFC (Gowans007/Gowans007) UK/GMT
11. Cardiff City (Roxas/Goonyboy) UK/GMT
15. Nottingham Forest (N.A./AllApologies17) UK/GMT
21. Bristol City (Larsen B/Larsen B) UK/GMT

NA Waitlist

Tottenham - tse88 - UTC/GMT +11 hours
Everton - shoplift3r - GMT +5

Tf53

We kicked the La Liga preseason off with Level 7/8 Boss. After a gruesome struggle, the final result was an astonishing 0-0. Jesús Navas had the chance of a lifetime as he faced an empty net as a beautiful cross came in from Kanouté, but he couldn't finish the deal.

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
We kicked the La Liga preseason off with Level 7/8 Boss. After a gruesome struggle, the final result was an astonishing 0-0. Jesús Navas had the chance of a lifetime as he faced an empty net as a beautiful cross came in from Kanouté, but he couldn't finish the deal.

haha. nice recap. it's not mandatory to have a game recap, but if you want to add one, feel free to do so!

also, just wondering in the real madrid-man U match, were there two man of the matches?

Top Bottom