• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AstroLad said:
EU Co-Commissioner Needed

Following up on the point above, it would really help us if we could have an EU co-commissioner. Sort of the NWO Eric Bischoff to our NA WCW. Neither of us expected the league to get this big and we want to do it right on all fronts so our work this far isn't for naught.

You would have the great honor of being labeled Co-Commisioner on the site (and the accompanying editing rights to doll up the site with goatse one drunken evening. NO) and you could also help us with getting some of the pre-season stuff together (fixing the rosters woodchuck has created, taking screenshots for the stat-entry tutorial, etc.) as well as getting to boss around the rest of the EUers a la Hitler, except without most of the bad stuff.

Wouldn't be a huge commitment or anything, just a big help to us to have a point person in Sonyland. Anyone interested please post here and PM me your AIM.

:lol

Hilarious!

Tf53 said:
Personally, I'm for no overtime, at least not for the regular season.

I wish, I hate pk's with a passion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fivehorizons said:
Im in the EU division on League Daddy but im in the US. Is that going to be a problem.

Changed, you're now in my division aka the Premiership elite.

I was eyeballin that conference looking to see the 3rd through 6th top teams. Its gonna be either high scoring or some good defense.

Being that i suck probably high scoring. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fivehorizons said:
I was eyeballin that conference looking to see the 3rd through 6th top teams. Its gonna be either high scoring or some good defense.

Being that i suck probably high scoring. :D

Yeah, and my friend is using Liverpool and he is a very good PES player from back in the day, just happens this is his first FIFA which was why I didn't rank him. Wouldn't be surprised if he's better than me and my brother be the end of it.

Also...conferences are not final. I reserve the right to move Barca into the MLS conference.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
OK, I'm in to League Daddy. That site is confusing as hell so if there's any other details I need to put in my profile, let me know, please.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
no worries it will all be explained in painstaking detail as is my habit. anyone has any questions they can ask here, via pm, on the league message board, etc.

here's hoping we have a taker for european commissioner tomorrow though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FF_VIII said:
I can be that Euro commissioner if you like.

/flexes

Nice. :D You truly are Winston Churchill to your fair continent.

churchillvsign.jpg

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hmm, EA servers have been down since last night some time. It's now 5pm over here and they're still not working.

Fingers crossed this isn't a regular occurrence, otherwise it might affect our league.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Euro was absolute gold, but unfortunately in the first few weeks EA always seems to have kinks to work out. Why we just have one (mandatory, barring some catastrophic problem with the game) exhibition game schedules for the first week and a half after the NA release.

woodchuck

madden was having trouble too. i think they're overwhelmed right now by the new releases of Fifa and Nba live + already having to deal with Madden and NHL.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also, as with any league you just roll with the punches and make adjustments as necessary when things come up. We got a big WE9 league to work on the PS2 without any frilly friend's lists, clans, and what-not and with sefskillz designing the site fromt the ground up. I have faith that this will work well provided that people stay tuned in to the league and play their games. We'll certainly do our part in keeping the league site interesting with Power Rankings, Matches of the Week, Players of the Week, etc.

Daigoro

i was in the WE9 league. that was fun even though i got my butt kicked most of the time.

ill join the MLS supporters league.

New England Revolution (Daigoro/Matty Thorns) US/EST

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
striKeVillain! said:
Whoo! I'm in the preseason match of the week!:D

I'm gonna try to make a nice design today for the matches of the week, since bbcode is too damn restrictive. Maybe some quick commentary too. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fyi the message board on leaguedaddy is pretty good, and people have been using it. unfortunately it doesn't show new posts on the home page but you can get to it here: http://www.leaguedaddy.com/leagues/board/?lid=2692

i'll still post all big announcements, answer questions and have discussions here but it's another option and it's nice to be able to have individual league threads too.

N.A

Banned
I'll post this here too:

OK, I found a method for inviting people to games without having them on your friends list.

1) Make sure to have the NeoGAF FIFA 09 gamertag on your friends list.
2) Go to Xbox LIVE -> FIFA 09 Game Modes -> Head to Head Play -> FIFA 09 Match Creation -> Create Match -> Create Unranked Session
3) Change to private game.
4) Go to Create Session.
5) Either:
Choose 'Enter Gamertag' and type the name of the player.

OR

Press B. Then press the guide button go to Friends -> NeoGAF FIFA 09 -> View Friends -> Select & Invite.

Fifty

If one of you Euros doesn't tell us if the OT settings are fixed to PKs, we're going to delete your conference from the league. Stop burning American flags and give us the information!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Frenck said:
Matched up against Inter :D

Oh the irony.

Haha yeah there will be some interesting matchups this season. :D

If one of you Euros doesn't tell us if the OT settings are fixed to PKs, we're going to delete your conference from the league. Stop burning American flags and give us the information!

Yep, it's OT+PK, but that's fine we'll just have PKs not count and just be a tie (though people will still have to play them to get to their stats screens). Looking right now into how the settings can be fixed (i.e. force everyone to use semi or manual shooting, etc.).

woodchuck

from EA staff:

Also, I just wanted to confirm that:
1 - we are still working on fixes for a patch
2 - the list is not final yet, and anything you see currently posted is fake
3 - we'll know more in the coming week or so

Tf53

Are we meant to play overtime even in regular season games? I understand the American mentality of the impossibility of not having a winner, but footie games don't have overtime unless it's a playoff game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has nothing to do with American mentality, but the mentality of the Canadian developers who don't allow us to disable OT in online matches. You can only do OT+PKs. But a tie at the end of OT is a tie for league purposes, and PKs are just played "for fun" and to get to the stats screen.

Tf53

AstroLad said:
Has nothing to do with American mentality, but the mentality of the Canadian developers who don't allow us to disable OT in online matches. You can only do OT+PKs. But a tie at the end of OT is a tie for league purposes, and PKs are just played "for fun" and to get to the stats screen.
Can't we play OT for fun, then? I might be a purist, so if you guys wanna have OT, I can go with the flow.

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
Can't we play OT for fun, then? I might be a purist, so if you guys wanna have OT, I can go with the flow.

we don't want to have OT either. we want the game to end after 90 min. but theres no option for that.

we can't really play OT for fun because it will mess up all the stats.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Another option we've been batting around is setting up an EA "league" and playing all matches through it. In Euro this means no OT and no PKs. All of this will be finalized when we actually have the game and can describe the entire sign-up/game/stat-entry process in detail for everyone.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
"Release date" is tomorrow. I assume Gamestops will have them with tomorrow's shipment (if they don't have them already). Amazon is telling me Thursday (with 1-day shipping), but their estimates are usually off by at least one day so hopefully Wednesday at the latest.

Magicked

I'm really excited about this! I finally played some of the demo yesterday (for the first time), and I was just terrible. Hopefully I'll be able to practice a good bit before actual matches start.

Also, I definitely believe FIFA has topped PES now. Almost everything feels right about it. I know people complain about things like the ball physics, but they actually seem pretty good to me. I especially like how overpowered shots naturally rise as they fly over the goal.

Can't wait until Wednesday.:D

AndresON777

shooting blanks
The gamestop by my house told me it ships tomorrow so they'll have it wednesday, I guess it depends on the city I live in atlanta

Tf53

Could we have a gentlemen's agreement on goal kicks? Trying to cut short passes is a cheap tactic, and I don't like it one bit. If this league is too serious business for a rule like this, I can live with it (longer goal kicks), but I'm all for the beautiful game and less for ugly tactics and cheap shots.

Thanks to the GAFers I've played, the matches against you guys have been the best ones this far. I really need to work on my scoring, though. :)

woodchuck

yeah, i'm all for disallowing players to cut off the short goal kick.

we're going to try to cut down on all the cheesing found in random online matches.

another rule may be to not cut off the throw-in if the team is in its own half unless it's under special circumstances (down by a goal, less than 5 minutes left, etc). we'll finalize all the "rules" and stuff later this week.

Top Bottom