• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Zalman

Just realized the lack of Kingdom Hearts. That's actually a little surprising.

Generation Exclusives (Games that have never been ported or remade from or to platforms in any other generation)
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC, Xbox)
3. Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn
4. F-Zero GX
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
6. Diablo 2
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. Shenmue
9. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
10. Skies of Arcadia
Nintendo got some work to do with F-Zero GX and Paper Mario. More people need to experience those.

NEO0MJ

An okay list, but the console bias is real, especially with the odd time cutoff as far as the PC is concerned.

It was given a good window. From when the first console of that gen launched until the yeat the first console in the next gen launched.

Though the lack of PC exclusives shouldn't be surprising.

You guys need Jungle Beat in your lives. The GBA had a cornucopia of platformers as well. I'm also of the opinion that the DreamCast Sonic games are awesome but I get that's not everyone's jam.

Jungle Beat was a 2D platformer, though.

Miker

I see that you are new here, so welcome to NeoGAF, a primarily console-centric gaming forum. Enjoy your stay.

I'm somewhat surprised Half-Life 2 made it into the top 10, but then again, it's been in the Orange Box on consoles and 99 cents on Steam every other week. I can't imagine that many people playing the Xbox version.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You guys need Jungle Beat in your lives. The GBA had a cornucopia of platformers as well. I'm also of the opinion that the DreamCast Sonic games are awesome but I get that's not everyone's jam.

I can think of quite a few 3D platformers I enjoyed around that time. Like Sonic Adventure or Super Magnetic Neo. But I would have a hard time claiming them to be quality games in retrospect.

Firemind

This. Jungle Beat would have been #11 on my list. :x

Wiktor

There was plenty of time to vote, seems like console players were the most active voters, and Gamecube voters came out in force.

Personally, I can't believe Morrowind or WoW didn't crack the top 10.
I think that by cut off he means limiting PCs to 2000 and later years, instead of starting in 1999 when DC was launched. In voting threads a lot of people initially put plenty of 99 Pc games on their lists. It wouldn';t change the list much though.

Blizzard

Banned
But Mirror's Edge isn't from this generation.
I apologize since I'm probably an idiot but I'm really confused. I thought these were lists from all sorts of generations? I'm seeing Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance games etc.

I probably misunderstood one of the lists though. Maybe the 503 list I mentioned was only for current gen and the other lists were from all generations...that doesn't seem to be the case either though.

Wiktor

It was given a good window. From when the first console of that gen launched until the yeat the first console in the next gen launched.
Except it wasn;t though. Dreamcast launched in 99, while PC staring point for voting was from 2000.

Fugu

There was plenty of time to vote, seems like console players were the most active voters, and Gamecube voters came out in force.

Personally, I can't believe Morrowind or WoW didn't crack the top 10.
I am referring to the fact that 2000 was not a big year for PC technology, especially compared to 1999 and 1998; 1999 saw arguably the two biggest PC game engines ever release within a few days of each other and 1998 was a graphics renaissance and a major sea change in developers. 2000 is most notable for a lot of really great sequels and the slow death of Glide, but it's certainly not a generational marker.

GamerJM

Banned
I apologize since I'm probably an idiot but I'm really confused. I thought these were lists from all sorts of generations? I'm seeing Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance games etc.

I probably misunderstood one of the lists though. Maybe the 503 list I mentioned was only for current gen and the other lists were from all generations.

GBA and DreamCast are gen 6. Gen 6 is Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, DreamCast, GBA, and some obscure handhelds and PC/arcade from 2000-2005.

Fugu

Though the lack of PC exclusives shouldn't be surprising.
The Dreamcast launched in '98 in Japan and '99 in the US.

Crayolan

My last minute vote pushed TTYD into the top 20. All according to plan.

59737230.jpg

Also this.

Good to see RE4 on the top. It completely changed the landscape for two radically different genres; even if you think it had a negative impact on one of them, there's no denying that impact.

Ninjimbo

Twilight Princess is way too low. It should be top 3. REmake is better than RE4. MGS2 is better than MGS3.

GAF, you messed up bad.

First off, great work AniHawk!

Good list overall. RE4 is certainly deserving, though it's sad to see REmake getting so little love. :(

Anyways, 6 of my Top 10 are in the Top 7 here, so there's not a whole lot I disagree with. Well done NeoGAF...well, except for Wind Waker being up there. I don't know what that game is doing anywhere near the top 10 of anything! *grumble grumble* :p

Blizzard

Banned
GBA and DreamCast are gen 6. Gen 6 is Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, DreamCast, GBA, and some obscure handhelds and PC/arcade from 2000-2005.
Ohhhhhhhh. Thank you, I was so confused since I didn't see the original poll, and didn't see generation 6 mentioned anywhere in the OP or first page, other than the list of consoles. (I also see one PlayStation 3 game, MGS3, but I assume that's a typo and should be PlayStation 2.)

Sorry for the confusion.

JDHarbs

Excellent list! I feel like my votes would've been completely different had I gotten around to more games.

At first I was really surprised to see Ninja Gaiden over Halo in the top Xbox exclusive spot, but then I realized Halo had a PC version and things made sense. However, Halo 2 got a PC version as well, but its in the Xbox exclusives list. Is it because the port didn't happen until 2007?

Amazing job, AniHawk. Love the extra awards too. So much interesting stuff when you can do the whole generation.

Twilight Princess is way too low. It should be top 3. REmake is better than RE4. MGS2 is better than MGS3.

GAF, you messed up bad.

I had Twilight Princess originally, but honestly the Wii version was much better. In a couple years when we do the previous gen voting I'll vote for it then.

Jordan117

Disappointing to see Katamari Damacy couldn't even crack the top 50, though its strong showing in the passion and support categories are a nice consolation. The Sims at #100 is a little more of a surprise, given its popular legacy and its erstwhile status as the best-selling PC game of all time.

But a strong list overall -- fantastic work, AniHawk.

Booshka

I am referring to the fact that 2000 was not a big year for PC technology, especially compared to 1999 and 1998; 1999 saw arguably the two biggest PC game engines ever release within a few days of each other and 1998 was a graphics renaissance and a major sea change in developers. 2000 is most notable for a lot of really great sequels and the slow death of Glide, but it's certainly not a generational marker.

Ya you're right, Quake 3 Arena got snubbed imo. Came out in super late 1999, but Id Tech 3 and Quake 3 is, imo, the best piece of Video Game software ever released.

So, AniHawk, did Dreamcast launch games from 9/9/99 get considered, but late 99' PC games like Quake 3 not get considered? Cuz, that is a problem to me.

Jimrpg

Amazing work Anihawk.

It's a very Neogaf list, and all the Nintendo exclusives did really well.

What I'm surprised by is the GTA III ranking. This is arguably the most influential title of that generation, and while games like Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Metal Gear Solid 3 may be more polished than GTA III, this game really turned the action genre on its head and created the open world genre. Almost every game these days wants to be open world and when they are not, it becomes a 'corridor' game. The game allowed players to do sandbox things that had never been done before. I don't know, I'm just surprised. For the record, I didn't rank it very high because I never finished the game, but it was the type of game that I thought should do well.

Also surprised by the MGS2 love, that game gets a lot of hate, but obviously there's an equal amount of love too.

AniHawk

Ya you're right, Quake 3 Arena got snubbed imo. Came out in super late 1999, but Id Tech 3 and Quake 3 is, imo, the best piece of Video Game software ever released.

So, AniHawk, did Dreamcast launch games from 9/9/99 get considered, but late 99' PC games like Quake 3 not get considered? Cuz, that is a problem to me.

that is the case, yes. same way that the dreamcast version of rayman 2 counts but the n64 version does not.

there just had to be a cutoff point for the generation somewhere. i think that with this done, we can do gen 5 at some point and all those pc games like system shock 2, quake 3, and planescape torment can get voted on and lose to the big console games of that era too.

Dahbomb

Devil May Cry game awards:

DMC3 - #22 Best game of the generation
DMC3 - #2 Best action game of the generation
DMC1 - #4 best action game of the generation
DMC3 - #5 Best PS2 game
DMC1 - #9 Best PS2 game

Best New Ip - #5

Passion Awards - DMC3 #18, DMC1 # 20

Supportive fanbase - DMC1 #11, DMC3 # 18

Best Expansion award (same generation upgrade) - DMC3 #5

Best Franchise - #11

Pretty happy with the awards, NeoGAF giving DMC the recognition. It was a really stacked generation so understandable.

Amazing work Anihawk.

It's a very Neogaf list, and all the Nintendo exclusives did really well.

What I'm surprised by is the GTA III ranking. This is arguably the most influential title of that generation, and while games like Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Metal Gear Solid 3 may be more polished than GTA III, this game really turned the action genre on its head and created the open world genre. Almost every game these days wants to be open world and when they are not, it becomes a 'corridor' game. The game allowed players to do sandbox things that had never been done before. I don't know, I'm just surprised. For the record, I didn't rank it very high because I never finished the game, but it was the type of game that I thought should do well.

Also surprised by the MGS2 love, that game gets a lot of hate, but obviously there's an equal amount of love too.

I forgot to thank anihawk, I love these votes, thank you.

As for GTA3 this was not the most influencial awards, which it would easily win for that gen. I am pretty sure most everyone put either VC or SA ahead of GTA. Now those two not being in the top ten is surprising.

I guess I'm the only one that didnt like RE4. Didnt have the amosphere and tensness of RE1-2-3 for me. It was just another zombie shooter with an over the shoulder cam that makes 30% of your screen useless. oh well. I really hate over the shoulder cams personally

Pappasman

Great to see so much love for Melee. In my opinion it is the greatest game ever made, but the whole gen was insanely phenomenal for every genre.

Booshka

that is the case, yes. same way that the dreamcast version of rayman 2 counts but the n64 version does not.

there just had to be a cutoff point for the generation somewhere. i think that with this done, we can do gen 5 at some point and all those pc games like system shock 2, quake 3, and planescape torment can get voted on and lose to the big console games of that era too.

Alright, fair enough. Console game voters are OP.

Genre awards are on the money

I would have liked MP or SOTC to win game of the gen. Feel like RE4 is definitely overrated.

WoW and Ninja Gaiden should have been higher overall

Man, it's a better game on the GC than 99.9% of the games listed here. Y'all should have voted for it. Now it looks like GAF thinks Wind Waker is a better game @_@

Exactly, there should be some official notice. Or can we do a whole poll thread between the two games so we could settle this.

Melee may very well be my personal GOAT, but I'm glad to see it still made 5th. Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and MGS3 and MGS2 did really well for themselves. I'm surprised Halo 2 only got 24th, though. Halo 2 practically defined online multiplayer for me. Ninja Gaiden and F-Zero GX charting is also a treat.

Edit: lol @ this Wind Waker salt. The game was amazing and it earned it's place. :)

Exactly, there should be some official notice. Or can we do a whole poll thread between the two games so we could settle this.
It was already settled. Check the OP again. Wind Waker was rated higher. The end.

Wind Waker is absolutely a better game in nearly every way, so whatever.

marcincz

Finished Res4 for the first time, last month. Brillant game, even now, after 10 years from release date. Great choice, gaf.

Grexeno

It was already settled. Check the OP again. Wind Waker was rated higher. The end.

Wind Waker is absolutely a better game in nearly every way, so whatever.
I don't think this vote means anything with regards to which of these games is better, since Twilight Princess is basically only eligible here by technicality.

Top Bottom