• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Tenebrous

I see that you are new here, so welcome to NeoGAF, a primarily console-centric gaming forum. Enjoy your stay.

There's console-centric, and then there's insanity! Never mind, eh? Opinions n all that... There's some great RPG games on that list. Gen VI really was a fantastic period for the genre.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Wonder swan got a mention but no neo geo pocket color?

Oh well, amazing project amazing results

NEO0MJ

I couldn't vote on time, but I commend the person who gave a vote to Gotcha Force, you're like a brother to me.

Overall it's a great list. I'm surprised GTA isn't among the top 10 and that FFX is among them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My only concern is that PC gaming is not properly represented. Just for the sake of representation and making a truly comprehensive list for those who might need one. But I'm not surprised or disappointed, our list is console heavy and somewhat obvious because we're a huge forum and that's just how it works. All the games I've played on the list are fucking awesome so whatev.

Arion

Excellent. Got a whole bunch of games I want to try out now.

Im guessing we all also do votes for other generations.

GamerJM

Banned
Well....damn.

Seems like a pretty typical top 20 or so honestly, not particularly surprised by anything here, but still, great work on AniHawk's part and cool to see this in its entirety.

Booshka

Congrats to Ninja Gaiden Black.

Guess I should have voted it number one.

AniHawk, great work, thanks for putting this all together.

When reading through that list I can see why I didn't vote. So many great games. It really is my favorite overall generation.

Only thing I'm disappointed in, is the fact handheld games don't have a strong presence. I've spent hours and hours on games like Advance Wars and FF Tactics Advance.

This year I'll finish up my backlog for this generation with Metroid Prime, Paper Mario TTYD and Eternal Darkness.

Booshka

Yo I just realized ESPN NFL 2K5 is nowhere to be found, WHAT THE FUCK.

edit, NVM, crisis averted. Ctrl+F'd the ESPN part.

Played all but three games in the top 25.

Most crazy thing to me, jak and daxter being the best platformer. Shows how bad a gen it was for platforming. We hit a renaissance with platforming last gen. And jak over ratchet? Really gaf? Come on now.

Hey my quote made it for Metroid Prime! :D should've been number 1 but losing to RE4 isn't to bad. Both games are masterpieces and stand head and shoulders above all us. Also, extremely happy with the Melee showing! Best fighter of all time gets what it deserves. Nice list gaf.

Edit: I was the lonely soul that voted for Chaos Legion in my top ten. :(

Firemind

the vote counting is rigged!

I voted for OutRun 2, not OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast!

Is it weird that versions of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are added together while Diablo II and Lord of Destruction and Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne are not? I mean you can't even play the expansions without the base game!

Santiako

Generation Exclusives (Games that have never been ported or remade from or to platforms in any other generation)
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC, Xbox)
3. Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn
4. F-Zero GX
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
6. Diablo 2
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. Shenmue
9. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
10. Skies of Arcadia

KOTOR and Baldur's Gate 2 have been ported to iOS/Android if that counts :p

My reaction being a big... Meh
What a positively enlightening reaction.
Generation Exclusives (Games that have never been ported or remade from or to platforms in any other generation)
4. F-Zero GX
6. Diablo 2
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. Shenmue
10. Skies of Arcadia

I don't see why you wouldn't count KOTOR and Baldur's Gate on iOS/Android. By the very fact of them being ported, they're not generation exclusives.

Anihawk you left out halo In the Xbox best of list.

Oh another thing that surprised me, the GTAs being around the teens. They were the most popular games of that gen and I know many loved them, I guess it was not loved enough.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
4mtzZ5u.png

Taking his rightful place on the throne.

Wiktor

My only concern is that PC gaming is not properly represented. Just for the sake of representation and making a truly comprehensive list for those who might need one. But I'm not surprised or disappointed, our list is console heavy and somewhat obvious because we're a huge forum and that's just how it works. All the games I've played on the list are fucking awesome so whatev.

I think everybody realizes GAF is mostly console-centric forum. And if somebody is looking for recomendations then he just needs to browse the whole list, as there's plenty of PC entries in lower parts of it and you can just look at how they are grouped with relation to eachother, not relation to console titles.

Yep, I knew Resident Evil 4 would win this....it definitely deserves the win. Metroid Prime being number 2 is perfect too.

I just wish that Shenmue and Shemue II were somewhere in the top 20. You guys don't know what you're missing! >_<

Not to sound like a hater but I thought that the typical enemy encounters in the top 2 games were pretty dull (and I still had MP in my top 10). My enduring impressions of those games are shooting a zombie and then kicking it while it stumbles, and hammering the A button while locked on to an enemy. They are obviously great in every other aspect. (Plus I still need to finish RE4.)

AniHawk

Anihawk you left out halo In the Xbox best of list.

Oh another thing that surprised me, the GTAs being around the teens. They were the most popular games of that gen and I know many loved them, I guess it was not loved enough.

the first halo is a multiplatform game and is included in the multi-platform list.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Played all but three games in the top 25.

Most crazy thing to me, jak and daxter being the best platformer. Shows how bad a gen it was for platforming. We hit a renaissance with platforming last gen. And jak over ratchet? Really gaf? Come on now.

Last last generation sucked for platformers, at least generally speaking. Mario Sunshine is easily one of the worst of any Mario game, while still being one of the best platformers of that generation. They were living in the hangover of the clunky 3D collect-a-thon phase. But thankfully last generation was one of the best ever for both 3D and 2D platformers.

Coen

Great least. Coincidentally, these games are my personal picks for greatest of all time as well. I feel like such an old man yelling at cloud for saying this, but I certainly feel, as gameplay design has become streamlined and inclusionairy, the range of different experiences had within games has stailed significantly. And I know indies have filled that gap some, but I do miss bigger teams and bigger budgets on gambles.

Fugu

An okay list, but the console bias is real, especially with the odd time cutoff as far as the PC is concerned.

AniHawk

4. F-Zero GX
6. Diablo 2
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. Shenmue
10. Skies of Arcadia

thanks. updated.

What a... lame list tbh. No surprises, no unexpected mentions (someone mentioned the N-Gage though, so I suppose there's that). But hey, I didn't vote, so I can't say anything =P

My only complaint is the lack of KH, but otherwise, good list. Never knew people liked Metroid Prime that much...

GamerJM

Banned
Last last generation sucked for platformers, at least generally speaking. Mario Sunshine is easily one of the worst of any Mario game, while still being one of the best platformers of that generation. They were living in the hangover of the clunky 3D collect-a-thon phase. But thankfully last generation was one of the best ever for both 3D and 2D platformers.

You guys need Jungle Beat in your lives. The GBA had a cornucopia of platformers as well. I'm also of the opinion that the DreamCast Sonic games are awesome but I get that's not everyone's jam.

Booshka

An okay list, but the console bias is real, especially with the odd time cutoff as far as the PC is concerned.

There was plenty of time to vote, seems like console players were the most active voters, and Gamecube voters came out in force.

Personally, I can't believe Morrowind or WoW didn't crack the top 10.

Top Bottom