• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

vocab

*Looks at the rpg of the generation*

laughing-hyuru0c0uynjs7.gif

Toxi

Banned
I should have voted, but I'm lazy and my favorite game ever is at #2 anyway.

Speaking of which, fucking great to see this much Metroid Prime love.

Doczu

Great list. I somehow thought it would look like that.

Anyone knows where to find that Metroid Prime art from the list? It's fucking great!

Broank

Great top 10. Absolutely love 7 out of the 10 (RE4 and FFX I never finished, Melee I never played). Would have liked to have seen Shanmue and God of War 2 in the top 10 if it was up to me.

MGS confirmed for best series.

Goddamn MGS was inspired that gen. Shame 4 couldn't come close to that level but I still got sky high hopes for V.

Aizo

Banned
I really like the results! I was in love with RE4 in middle school. Nothing has scared me since.

AniHawk

something i purposely decided not to list were previous award winners, because the generation was kind of over by the time we started doing goty threads (ds and psp had just launched). however, previous goty award winners on that list are resident evil 4 (2005), metal gear solid 3 (2004), and the legend of zelda: twilight princess (2006). the latest-released title with a previous award is persona 4 (won ps2 goty in 2008 and 2009). the most-decorated game on the list is metal gear solid 3, which won the 2004 game of the year, ps2 game of the year in 2004, console game of the year in 2004, and stealth game of the year from 2004-2006. it also won those categories in the 2012 vote for 2004 games.

GamerJM

Banned
I guess I'm the only one that didnt like RE4. Didnt have the amosphere and tensness of RE1-2-3 for me. It was just another zombie shooter with an over the shoulder cam that makes 30% of your screen useless. oh well. I really hate over the shoulder cams personally

I liked it but I never saw it as a GOAT game. It was probably extremely influential on gen 7, so maybe I would have been more impressed had I played it at launch, but having played the Wii version two-three years or so after it came out, it was good but nothing about it ever blew me away, I just don't see what a lot of people see in it.

I also hate Metroid Prime though I haven't played it in a very long time, and think Halo 1 is alright but terribly aged compared to its successors. But I know not everyone feels the same way I do :p. And at least my GOAT made the list so all is well.

Ikon

Only game out of the top 25 that I didn't play yet is Persona 4. Thinking about getting it on the current sale but I'm pretty sure I'd forget about it once Bloodborne comes out. Hrm...

Only game out of the top 25 that I didn't play yet is Persona 4. Thinking about getting it on the current sale but I'm pretty sure I'd forget about it once Bloodborne comes out. Hrm...

You don't have to finish it. The new persona games are all about the journey not the destination.

It's official - I am the only one who thinks Worms 3D is a worthy game.

V6rLVgZ.png

Still, the stellar list. Shows us the best of the best in the best gaming generation. And I even got featured in The Wind Waker section, yay!

AniHawk

That's probably because Wind Waker is the better game.

the wind waker, especially the original release, has extremely poor pacing. and the level design is fairly lacking until the final two dungeons. i think it skates by largely on its presentation, which is unique, charming, and memorable. because most of the other stuff is... yeesh.

AniHawk

you mean FFX leading RPG of the generation on a list with Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Gothic 2? lol

persona 4 and star wars knights of the old republic both took turns with ffx at the top. it wasn't until the last few days when ffx took a very small but solid lead.

i really encourage people to let others in the community topics they post in to let others know when things like these are going on.

Toxi

Banned
Man, it's a better game on the GC than 99.9% of the games listed here. Y'all should have voted for it. Now it looks like GAF thinks Wind Waker is a better game @_@
No point in arguing on the results. We already determined the best Zelda game on the Gamecube, and it takes place on Tallon IV.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
FPS
1. Half-Life 2 (PC, Xbox)
2. Halo: Combat Evolved (PC, Xbox)
3. Halo 2 (Xbox)
4. Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC, Xbox)
5. Counter-Strike (PC)
6. Timesplitters 2 (PlayStation 2, Gamecube, Xbox)
7. Call of Duty (PC)
8. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC, PlayStation 2, Gamecube, Xbox)
9. Battlefield 1942 (PC)
10. Battlefield 2 (PC)

How is No One Lives Forever not even on the top 10 shooters of the generation??!!

YOU HAVE FAILED ME GAF.

the wind waker, especially the original release, has extremely poor pacing. and the level design is fairly lacking until the final two dungeons. i think it skates by largely on its presentation, which is unique, charming, and memorable. because most of the other stuff is... yeesh.

that's like, your opinion man

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, looking at the overall huge amount of games that came out and singling down to games of the overall gen, WW has sooooo many flaws it's actually crazy to me it made it so high. Some of it is up for debate, but stuff like the giant triforce fetch quest is universally panned and is enough to make a lot of people not even finish the game.

Gaf pls.

you mean FFX leading RPG of the generation on a list with Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Gothic 2? lol
I agree to an extent. Although FFX has a lot of nostalgia for me, I think it is very outdated - unlike a lot of the other top games. FFX is definitely superior to most of those you listedt youth - I mean Vampire? I would put BG2 way above FFX though.

Pappasman

Yeah, looking at the overall huge amount of games that came out and singling down to games of the overall gen, WW has sooooo many flaws it's actually crazy to me it made it so high. Some of it is up for debate, but stuff like the giant triforce fetch quest is universally panned and is enough to make a lot of people not even finish the game.

Gaf pls.

Yup, what WW gets right it does phenomenally well, but its weak parts are some of the weakest in the series.

Crayolan

I'd honestly agree that Twilight Princess has the better set of dungeons, but I find it's overworld to be extremely bland. And the main gimmick of the game, the wolf, is equally uninteresting.

On the other hand, in Wind Waker I love the Great Sea, I love exploring the various little islands scattered around, and I love sailing. I don't think that's a very popular opinion though.

chrixter

Thanks for all the work you put into this, AniHawk.

I'm happily surprised at how well Ninja Gaiden did - #1 action game and #1 Xbox exclusive. My impression has always been that DMC3 was favored by most people in most circles (obviously it was extremely close in this vote). I was almost expecting the God of War games to top it as well. Petty validation feels good!

Games in the top 25 I haven't played: Silent Hill 2, KOTOR, and Baldur's Gate II.

UnrealEck

Though the lack of PC exclusives shouldn't be surprising.

There was plenty of time to vote, seems like console players were the most active voters, and Gamecube voters came out in force.

Personally, I can't believe Morrowind or WoW didn't crack the top 10.

Seems to me that long-time PC players don't tend to join these discussions as much as non-PC players. I tend to find PC players are mostly found in tech discussions, graphics discussions and discussions about games that are on PC. Personally I was a Final Fantasy fan back in the days of PS1 and PS2 but I still thought Deus Ex was a better RPG.
It's down to the majority votes. That's why I don't put much value in these sorts of polls.

With that said, it's mostly the case that if a game is on the list, it's going to be a good game.

edit: looking at the list again, FFX is even higher up than BG2, WoW and DeusEx.

LoveCake

The list of all lists!

Excellent work OP.

Surprised that there wasn't more Dreamcast games in the lists though.

GamerJM

Banned
I also agree that Wind Waker has too many issues to really be truly amazing. I think Twilight Princess is one of the best games of all-time despite its pacing issues, but I don't consider it to be gen 6. The real Zelda winner of this gen was Minish Cap :p.

I don't see how people voted Vice City over San Andreas when San Andreas did everything Vice City had and more.

Damn, I was hoping Okami would've made the top 20. I'm surprised to see Final Fantasy X when I thought I saw more votes for XII in the thread. Also, Katamari's a puzzle game???

Back when I used to write reviews for PALGN.au I remember giving Resident Evil 4 the first ever 10/10 on the site. It was such an incredible experience that just blew me away from start to finish and I simply couldn't fault it. Deep down I feared I would regret that 10/10 a few years down the line but that hasn't proved to be the case.

Ironically it toppled Metroid Prime off my personal no1 spot at the time so it's fitting to see it at no2 here :)

Chindogg

*Looks at the rpg of the generation*

laughing-hyuru0c0uynjs7.gif

The fact that FFX even made this list made me sad. One of the shoddiest stories of any of the Final Fantasies, some of the wackest characters, and a fucking terrible minigame in Blitzball. But at least a decent talent system.

This list is insane. Like, I can't wrap my head around the placement of almost anything on it.
It was honestly about what I expected, especially the top 15 or so. What did you find surprising?

Super Mario Bros. 3-346 points
Super Mario World-346 points

holy shit

edit: wonder how much higher Melee would go in a rerun of that

That was my favorite part! The never-ending debate. I still flip flop all the time.

hemtae

Baldur's Gate 2 was robbed! Also the quote and who it was quoted from is switched around. I would have thought P4 would have taken it easily seeing as how our essential RPG thread went but more people must have only played it on Vita than I thought.

Top Bottom