• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Durante

You might not notice because PC GAF has healthy threads and healthy contribution, but looking at the overall stats, GAF has always been a US-based console forum first and foremost. That's usually reflected in polls that include so many of the members and not just a sub-segment.
Another point to consider is that, if we go by metacritic as a very rough guide, then the small subset of people who do play PC games on GAF had about 5 times as many good games to choose from compared to the next best console platform. That obviously spreads out those votes over a larger number of titles compared to platforms where a small handful of obvious standouts exist.

I'm no fanboy, I'm in it for the games and the Wii U did gaming better than any other platform last year.
Any other console platform, sure.

Kathian

Banned
I don't like the game either but people have the right to enjoy things other people don't right ?

Quite the gameplay is terrible and the character design is not much better but I think Bioware did a fantastic job with the environment stuff. My only criticism is that the environments are ultimately a bit too big for my liking and should have been broken down further.

Hopefully this is a sign of what they do with the Mass Effect Universe (i.e. more natural environments on planets)

Anon67

Sweet. Everything seems to make sense, though Drive Club beat Forza Horizon 2 on the best racing game category? Wtf? Well actually it makes sense, since it's Gaf.

Overall congrats Nintendo. You released some quality stuff this year!

Another point to consider is that, if we go by metacritic as a very rough guide, then the small subset of people who do play PC games on GAF had about 5 times as many good games to choose from compared to the next best console platform. That obviously spreads out those votes over a larger number of titles compared to platforms where a small handful of obvious standouts exist.

Any other console platform, sure.

I own a PC as well, my list includes a PC exclusive. But I couldn't play Bayo 2 or Tropical Freeze on it. :)

If helps of course that character action is my favourite genre by quite a margin, followed by platformers.

KooopaKid

Banned
Went through every page of the voting thread last night. At quick glance I didn't see one ballot that had both Bayonetta 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition on it. Again this was a quick glance and I'm sure that's nearly impossible so later I'll go through and do some numbers. Just an interesting tidbit.

Yeah I scanned the full thread and noticed that too. I'd say less than 30 Gaffers had both Bayonetta 2 and DAI in their top 10. It's not surprising, both games represent opposite philosophies. I'm glad my preferred game design philosophy "won" this year.

Dawg

I... I guess there's no chance any of the two organizers could update the .zip file with my affinity?

Before you answer my question, please watch this cute gif:

shibeswimrejzz.gif

Caramello

Wow my Mario Kart 8 comments made the OP! Awesome!

I did not expect the list to turn out that way to be honest but I'm not unhappy with the result. I seriously need to go buy Bayonetta 2 already.

Yeah I scanned the full thread and noticed that too. I'd say less than 30 Gaffers had both Bayonetta 2 and DAI in their top 10. It's not surprising, both games represent opposite philosophies. I'm glad my preferred game design philosophy "won" this year.

It's also possible that people only got to play one or the other like in my case DA:I was my number one pick but I haven't played Bayo 2 yet.

Haunted

Hmm, frankly, I'd have chosen a better award name.
Well, if we're looking at the bigger picture, Ubi had two missteps in 2014 with AC Unity being a buggy pos and Watch Dogs being generally disappointing, while they put out five well-received games both in terms of game quality and software quality with South Park, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Far Cry 4 and Might & Magic X: Legacy.

I suppose the majority of their quality output was overshadowed by the bad due to the fact that the two worst games they put out this year also had the largest marketing budgets and biggest hype behind them. :lol

edit: didn't list The Crew or AC Rogue because I haven't played either.

Silky

Banned

Or.

Maybe those people just didn't play the games yet, like me. I didn't vote for Bayo 2 because I haven't even touched it. :l

mrmickfran

ViewtifulJC's comments about Bayonetta 2 should be in the OP.

Such a beautiful description of the game:

Bayonetta 2 feels like it came from an alternate dimension where the Sega Dreamcast and its bright blue skies arcade style won the console war. A world in which immediate fun AND an abundance of depth lived in harmony, and were awarded with millions of adoring fans. A place where games were expected to be polished affairs filled with bonus unlockable content and actually worked day one without day one patches or retailer exclusive DLC. A masterpiece that almost didn't actually get made in our world, but we're all a little lucky that it did.

Bayonetta 2 is like playing with all of DMC4 Dante's Styles as the same time and married it to God of War's bombast. It has the slick aggressive defense of Ninja Gaiden Black that will occasionally explode into a DMC Devil Trigger. It has Battletoad's satisfying combo enders of enlarged limbs and Streets of Rage 3's weapon pick-ups with a limited bar for special move usage.

Bayonetta 2 has a dodge, a completely invincible, free-wheeling dodge on the right trigger that for a brief moment allows you to dodge everything from laser swords to kung-fu strikes by cosmic deities. A dodge that encourages the player to learn their opponents tells both visual and audio, to stylishly avoid a hit and continue the relentless offensive. A dodge that, when pressed twice in quick succession turns you into a panther that controls like sex, so smooth in its movements and so right in its weight.

Bayonetta 2 was not satisfied with the many heights its predecessor reached. The first game's piss filter is gone, replaced with an HD sheen and vibrant colors. Weapons have been expanded from their default movesets, with all new animations and effects to make them more differentiated and viable. The arcadey variety segments have been shortened, their camera angles improved for proper visibility, tuned to maximum efficiency. Bosses have been improved, with a larger focus on one-on-one fights and less giant platforming challenges. Level design has been streamlined, almost every chapter a string of memorable, replayable encounters, with almost twice as many enemy types as before.

Bayonetta 2 is hardly satisfied with just delivering bang for your buck. It wants to overdeliver. It must grant the player a stupid amount of delectable distractions, ooddles of collectibles and secret fights and a dozen costumes and cheats and modes in the vein that modern AAA games just don't do very much of anymore. It even throws in the best version of Bayonetta 1 entirely for free, out of the kindness of its heart. There's even a fuckin' Star Fox 64 section, complete with original visual designs and sound effects.

Bayonetta 2 is like the feeling you get when you play Virtua Cop with both hands. Its like dodging a tight bullet pattern in DoDonPachi. Its like taking on Nemesis with just the knife. Its like following up a Hadouken and going in for a tic throw in Street Fighter 2. Its the sound of time of distorting when you come in and out of slow-mo in F.E.A.R. Its like running up a wall in Sonic and jumping off, using the momentum to reach heights you couldn't at walking speed. Its like discovering how to wall jump in Super Metroid. Its like completing Contra without the Konami Code. Its like discovering a secret chest in Zelda. Its like getting the high score in Time Crisis 2 in the arcade, a small following of on-lookers gazing at awe at the grace in which you dispatch its color-coded criminals. Its like main-lining PURE FUCKIN' VIDEO GAME for close to a dozen hours straight. And then you do it again in a blue Chinese dress with whips on your feet and chainsaw gauntlets.

Celegus

Awesome list, but some pretty tasteless comments. Obviously we're not all going to agree, but this is what it looks like when the dust has settled. The most surprising thing was Hearthstone not even making the top 20.

geordiemp

I expected Nintendo games to win all awards on GAF .

Did not bother to vote in this, I don't vote in any of the online 'best of' tuff as its skewed heavily as most online voting seems to be.

Melchiah

Or.

Maybe those people just didn't play the games yet, like me. I didn't vote for Bayo 2 because I haven't even touched it. :l

Or didn't have both platforms the games were available on.

Silky

Banned
Or didn't have both platforms the games were available on.

That too! If I had a Wii-U, my vote would be filled with Wii-U games probably.

But I didn't! Has nothing to do with some fuckass 'philosophy' shit.

Or

Lots of Gaffers can't justify to buy a Nintendo home console just for Bayonetta 2.

I can't afford a new console, what about those people

What are those "game design philosophy" you are talking about?

And /this/ is the meat of the discussion that I've been eyeing, really.

Funny out of the top 10 I only played 2 games, Dragon Age and Soutj Park. A shame Shadowrun Dragonfall is nowhere to be found, it's the only game I played this year that could be labelled as a GOTY contender. Wish I remembered to vote...

What are those "game design philosophy" you are talking about?

JSR_Cube

Thanks for all the hard work! I love the detail.

The surprises for me are Donkey Kong Country and South Park in the top ten. Glad to see that Transistor made the top 20 though.

Durante

Funny out of the top 10 I only played 2 games, Dragon Age and Soutj Park. A shame Shadowrun Dragonfall is nowhere to be found, it's the only game I played this year that could be labelled as a GOTY contender. Wish I remembered to vote...
Now I know who to blame.

I think 81 posters lost an avatar. There are more than 4 that are wearing their avatar of shame.
What happened with that by the way? I missed it and just noticed that some fanboys now seem to be conveniently marked :p

Haunted

While we're on the topic of RPGs and their niche status, I'm a little bit crushed that I was actually the only one to vote for Halfway.

I encourage fans of classic SRPGs to check it out!

I think 81 posters lost an avatar. There are more than 4 that are wearing their avatar of shame.
what kind of monster makes someone else wear a knack avatar

even punishment has its limits

edit: oh so that's how it is. That's pretty funny. :lol

As others have said already, the best thing about this list is the strong showing from DKC: Tropical Freeze. Like last year's 13th-place finisher, The Wonderful 101, it was a tremendous game that went almost completely ignored in the press, and this forum was one of the only places that properly recognized its worth. If I had my way it would have finished even higher, but #6 already far surpassed my expectations.

Might as well put my Nintendo ballot-stuffing on display for all to see, since it (deservedly) performed so well:

22. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
1. Bayonetta 2
33. Bravely Default
10. Shovel Knight
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
2. Mario Kart 8
30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
x. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (#13 in re-releases)
80. Endless Legend

The first nine slots in my affinity list are literally the DKC-in-the-top-3 club:

My personalized recommendation list begins with Destiny at 5 points and is so hilariously mismatched to my needs that it is best left ignored.

Usobuko

Banned
1. Bayonetta 2 (3.10137)
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition (2.898917)
3. Divinity: Original Sin (2.669291)
4. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (2.658823)
5. Love Live: School Idol Festival (2.636364)
6. Grand Theft Auto V (2.592592)
7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2.591463)
8. The Last of Us: Remastered (2.579439)
9. Dark Souls II (2.556738)
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2.537594)
11. Alien: Isolation (2.532051)
12. Sunset Overdrive (2.524194)
13. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (2.466667)
14. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (2.442623)
15. Hexcells Infinite (2.4)
15. Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall (2.4)
17. Age of Wonders III (2.363636)
18. Legend of Grimrock 2 (2.333333)
18. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (2.333333)
20. The Last of Us: Left Behind (2.307692)

The secret goty list.

IvorB

Wow some strong WiiU love there. Congrats to Platinum. I didn't vote but I was playing FF XIV most of last year so I didn't have much to contribute. People were saying GOTY was going to Dragon Age; I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Fireblend

Banned
Great list. I feel like people forgot about Kirby Triple Deluxe though, it's such a brilliant game :(

Anyway, great year to own a Wii U and a Vita. Some outstanding games this year on those consoles. Ironically the least supported by non-niche third parties :( it's too bad quality doesn't seem to translate into sales.

Also I should get DK TF already it seems...

Google drive is less cooperative with me this year. My top 9 and my affinities:

1. cosmicblizzard (91) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147692219&postcount=1661
1. Prinny (91) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146679428&postcount=1365
3. Sallokin (87) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144414331&postcount=887
4. Salih (81) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145642099&postcount=1175
4. Thoraxes (81) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145321471&postcount=1036
6. zashga (78) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146063098&postcount=1228
7. Brazil (77) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143575597&postcount=107
7. Mauricio_Magus (77) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143570389&postcount=22
9. ASIS (76) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145257286&postcount=1017
9. Deactivision (76) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146113729&postcount=1276

39. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
60. Fantasy Life
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
1. Bayonetta 2
139. Tales of Hearts R
2. Mario Kart 8
110. Tales of Xillia 2
16. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
36. Bravely Default

TheAssist

Still suprised about how well recieved DA: I is arround here.

While many of those games are good, I'm still disappointed with the year overall. None of these left me thinking or in awe. I didnt "feel" anything this year and had no worthwhile discussion about interpretation or game design.

Everything just felt very run of the mill. But I'm hopefull for next year.

Steel

Banned
Wow my affinity is rather low:

I guess that's what I get for having PC indie, PS Vita, 3ds, ps4, and multi-plat games on my list.

As for the results I did not see that coming. I expected DA: I to be on top but the fact that it's further down the list is nice. Also expected Dark Souls II to be a bit higher but, eh.

Good to see Daganronpa 1 & 2 get recognition in multiple categories too. And Banished, even if it didn't have much competition in the simulation category.

And finally I suppose the reason my affinity is so low is because I was one of a very small number of people who voted for Soul Sacrifice and Endless Legend? Kinda dissappointed that those two games don't really rank, especially Endless Legend when Beyond Earth got some recognition despite it's mediocrity.

Grief.exe

It seems opposite of reality that Divinity:OS places so low, Shadowrun Dragonfall not at all, and Dragon Age: Inquisition in the top 5?

What have you done GAF?

Now I know who to blame.

What happened with that by the way? I missed it and just noticed that some fanboys now seem to be conveniently marked :p

Sorry :D

We bet on what Sony would show during PSX against Verendus and all the losers have to wear this avatar until April 1st.

Some are not going to like it but...

Spot-on character controls and gameplay systems first VS world building and story first

Ok it's understandable, I personally like both.

Top Bottom