• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Bayo2GOTY

Banned
kNGTyma.jpg

Durante

RPG Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition = 803 points, 22 honorable mentions
2. Dark Souls II = 721 points, 10 honorable mentions
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth = 564 points, 12 honorable mentions
4. Divinity: Original Sin = 339 points, 7 honorable mentions
5. Transistor = 279 points, 16 honorable mentions
6. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls = 187 points, 9 honorable mentions
7. Bravely Default = 135 points, 12 honorable mentions
8. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition = 130 points, 6 honorable mentions
9. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth = 128 points, 7 honorable mentions
10. Child of Light = 113 points, 12 honorable mentions
Wow, that's an amazingly terrible list. Seriously, worse than I would have ever imagined.

cilonen

This'll be why I felt the need to buy a Wii U over the holidays.

Good to see Destiny above Sunset. As it should be.

Zocano

Wow, that's an amazingly terrible list. Seriously, worse than I would have ever imagined.

Tell me about it :\

I didn't vote for Divinity or Shadowrun don't hurt me please. I'm working through them now but I didn't finish or even play enough of them by this friday.

Durante

Well, at least Dark Souls II was the runner-up.
Dark Souls 2 and Divinity are its only redeeming qualities. But seriously, a top 10 RPG list of 2014 without Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Might & Magic 10 or Wasteland 2?
I'm more convinced than ever that there aren't really more than 3 PC gamers on GAF, just people who use PCs to play console games :p

By the way, is the affinity stuff still based on my script?

Arthea

What I take from this is that if you don't own a Wii U, this year was pretty terrible

That's not true at all, this was amazing year if you are an RPG or Puzzle fan, it's plain great if you are both as me.
I had no time even consider buying WiiU, I had so many great games to play.

I've cleaned up a bit more title and publisher data. It can be downloaded here.
It seems some publisher names were written inconsistently between games so the publisher list includes separately:
Tecmo-Koei and Tecmo Koei
Square-Enix and Square Enix
Namco-Bandai, Bandai Namco and Namco Bandai.
Aksys and Aksys Games

Maybe intentional from some divisional differences I don't know about or something?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
That's a pretty underwhelming list tbh.

The biggest shock for me was Forza Horizon 2 polling so poorly, I thought people thought really highly of it.

Was there a reason The Last of Us didn't chart? It says it polled 276 votes and should have placed 19th but isn't listed at all.

Turkoop

Banned
Wow, never expected Nintendo in such a good position
RESPECT !
They created some big games this year

But also i'm proud that here are many people who voted for Driveclub, this game deserves many attention !

impact

Banned
Dark Souls 2 and Divinity are its only redeeming qualities. But seriously, a top 10 RPG list of 2014 without Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Might & Magic 10 or Wasteland 2?
I'm more convinced than ever that there aren't really more than 3 PC gamers on GAF, just people who use PCs to play console games :p

That or WoW/LoL/Dota/CSGO

I bought Shadowrun during the sale but I just play CSGO everyday instead :p

Acosta

The RPG list is decline to the max, two Diablo III for god's sake.

Looking for playing Bayonetta 2, no interest in Mario Kart or Super Smash though.

Well that's a bit surprising.

Congratulations to Nintendo and Bayonetta.

Personally I didn't really enjoy the game despite anxiously waiting for it (and despite loving MGR and TW101). I dunno, it's just not clicking with me for some reason. Not to say it's not a good game though.

Didn't vote this year anyway as I didn't play that much new games. I think Bayo 2 and MK8 might've even been the only 2014 released new games that I played. Wouldn't have given a vote for either one of them.

All this Wii U bias, gross.

Wii U-GAF is more a marketing firm than a community at this point.
Hilarious.

DevilFox

Decent list. Happy for Wolfenstein, Alien, Transistor, The Evil Within and Driveclub.
Sunset Overdrive and Dark Souls, on the other hand, are not in my top but I know they've their fans.
Bayonetta 2 was predictable but very well deserved. And GAF are the only one who acknowledge DK, lol, good.

Great choices.

But I was expecting DriveClub to be higher, considering it has a new thread created every day.

This is one huge hyperbole or I must've missed all of them except one.

It seems some publisher names were written inconsistently between games so the publisher list includes separately:
Tecmo-Koei and Tecmo Koei
Square-Enix and Square Enix
Namco-Bandai, Bandai Namco and Namco Bandai.
Aksys and Aksys Games

Maybe intentional from some divisional differences I don't know about or something?

Gah, more cleanup work.

patapuf

That RPG list makes me sad. A big reminder that aside from the big publisher stuff it is a pretty niche genre.

Though to be fair, i didn't manage to complete all RPG's i wanted to. Too much dota. :(

I'm sorry, I forgot to finish my list to add wasteland 2 and whatnot. I just don't play that many games the same year they release.

Haunted

It is a surprise that half of my Top 10 are listed between 5 and 10 of GAF's rankings.
That's a fun idea.

05. Dark Souls II
09. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
14. Divinity Original Sin
22. Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft
27.* The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
37. The Banner Saga
66. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
121. Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments
136. Dungeon of the Endless
XX. Halfway

*according to points

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
First thing first, thanks to timetokill and cheesemeister for their awesome work.

It would be great if this could translate to more sales for bayo2 and a sequel ^^

So what does GAF recommend me to play :
1. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Action) = 12 points played it and finished it,combat was okay, the nemesis system was a cool gimmick, but it didn't feel really essential. The story, the characters and the map were not good.
2. [360][PS3][PC] South Park: The Stick of Truth (RPG) = 8 points I didn't played it at first because of the european censorship. I have a PC copy. I should play it
3. [XB1][PS4] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (RPG) = 7 points It's one of my honorable mention.
4. [NWU] Mario Kart 8 (Racing) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention Played it, but I can only really enjoy Mario Kart while playing local multi, and yeah .... I should probably invite my friends over more often, instead of going out to get drunk ....
5. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 (Adventure) = 4 points didn't play it, it's discounted on PSN right now, I think, how is the vita version?
6. [PSV] Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Adventure) = 3 points next game after freedom wars to play on the vita
7. [PS4] The Last of Us: Remastered (Horror) = 3 points My 2013 GOTY
8. [360][PS3][PC] Dark Souls II (RPG) = 3 points I'll play the PS4 version soon ^^
9. [PS3][PS4] The Last of Us: Left Behind (Adventure) = 3 points I don't know why I haven't played it yet
10. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Action) = 3 points played it and I can't wait for the phantom pain
11. [IOS][AND] Hitman Go (Strategy) = 2 points I have watched a quicklook of it and I have no desire to play it[/]
12. [XB1][PS4][PC] Styx: Master of Shadows (Action) = 2 points I am not a fan of stealth game, I probably won't play it
13. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Watch_Dogs (Adventure) = 2 points played and finished it, it was okay, it has the potential for a great sequel
14. [NWU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Platform) = 2 points in the pile of shame, it goes
15. [3DS] Bravely Default (RPG) = 2 points voted for it last year
16. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] The Evil Within (Horror) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention Played the first few hours, it doesn't make a great first impression, oh and the digital edition doesn't come with all the language so I have to play it with the horrible french dub, fuck that
17. [3DS] Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Puzzle) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention I heard that the puzzle were really too easy, I will play the firsts ace attorney games before that
18. [PC] Divinity: Original Sin (RPG) = 1 point I need time to play that, I really want to.
19. [PS4] Driveclub (Racing) = 1 point played it, it's pretty, it feels good, it's boring
20. [PC] The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (Adventure) = 1 point added to my wish to play list
21. [XB1] D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (Adventure) = 1 point I want to play that, I just need time
22. [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Platform) = 1 point if I can find it cheap
23. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (FPS) = 1 point played it, it is still CoD
24. [XB1][PS4][NWU] Stick it to the Man! (Adventure) = 1 point played it, finished it, it was just ok
25. [PSV][PS4][PC] Broforce (Action) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention it's out on PSV and PS4 in europe?
26. [PS3][PS4][ARC] Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (Fighting) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention it's not out in europe.
27. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention already in my pile of shame
28. [PC] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention played it and finished it on ps3
29. [360][XB1][PC] Titanfall (FPS) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Is it too late to play that?

hey

Haunted

% of ballots with at least one Microsoft exclusive: 2.093023% (189)
>= 50% Microsoft Exclusive: 0.1845018% (2)
>= 80% Microsoft Exclusive: 0% (0)
100% Microsoft Exclusive: 0% (0)

Truly first class.

What a season it's been, didn't expect these results at all. I haven't agreed with the majority of GAF related awards in the past so no real shocker this year.

Crazy that mostly all of the dozen Wii U games released last year are represented.

And the lack of PC games in general is kind of weird, especially the RPG catagory.

Durante

I have to formally thank Nintendo as both a developer and publisher for preventing abject failure
(that is, a DA:I top 3 placement)

Time to start building ads for niche CRPGs into your frame rate/resolution fixes.
I'm not just whining or dramatizing here either, I'm honestly flabbergasted at how terrible it is. At the very least, I absolutely expected a Dragonfall top 10 RPG (top 5 really) placement. It's not a particularly hardcore or challenging game (unlike Wasteland 2 and M&MX), and should have broad appeal. For it not to show up in the top 10 at all is shocking. I knew that the polling methodology used inherently results in a popularity contest, but I didn't expect it to be that bad.

Top Bottom