• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Man what a thread, great job. I love this place, I love that a game that sold 130k can get equally represented with all the big boys. That we have people that play all sorts of games on all sorts of platforms. Good job guys.

Here are my people! You and me we are the same

I'll just PM you answers if you really are curious as I do not want to create a back and forth where we fill two-three pages of back and forths over three games :)
Regardless

These three games won the top three votes.

Throw out the gaming politics with the console wars, sequelitis, same game BS.

What's fun is fun!
And for the majority of GAF, Nintendo and Platinum still found a way to make something we are so familiar with fun and exciting and near flawless with the tools at hand.

I admit I haven't read through the thread, but can you consider yourself a gamer if you don't own a WiiU?
Hack-and-slash is one of my least favorite genres, and I have a buddy who owns Mario Kart and Smash, so I just play it there when interested. For me, it's not worth buying the console as of right now.

A price cut + Zelda Wii U though? I'll definitely think about it.

Less than 1 %. Right.

That makes the assumption that all members of NeoGAF are regulars, that all members are allowed to post (banned members), and that no members have alt accounts.

I think 1,000 is a perfectly reasonable sample-size for a community this large, especially when you consider the tiny sample sizes used for shit like politics.

Silky

Banned
tumblr_neaff7Pbqp1qdrfdro1_500.gif

Bow to the Queen.

I'm surprised GAF showed such good taste this year. This is, after all, the same community that voted that overrated sunset-simulator non-game Journey as their GOTY.

I don't like Journey either but calling it -- or any game that goes for a different direction in it's development than simply being 'a game -- 'not a game' is the most self-centered ass sniffing in the world.

You're probably one of those people who will refuse to call MYST a game.\

why is sunset overdrive listed in the shooter category while infamous, a game quite similar, is listed in the action game category? seems cut and dry that both should be listed as action games to me...

You shoot stuff in infamous, obviously it's similar to sunset

Infamous and SO are two completely different games.

That being said yeah SO should really be in the action section because it has the qualifications of a character action game.

Omikaru

Interesting list this year. Not surprised at any of the winners, mind. Wii U had far and away the best exclusive lineup, and many of the third parties shat the bed in one way or another this year.

I'm surprised that Persona Q didn't do as well, however, especially since other entries in the series tend to get a lot of passionate Persona fans coming out to vote for them.

Here's my affinity:

You're all cool cats in my book. :D

Staf

Oh, I got to see this, it will make for some fine reading. Got a link to where the dude brings that up?

Oh i remember that guy. The guy thought it was suspicious that "all of the sudden" there was a huge influx of Bayonetta votes and he figured the reason was because people hated Dragon age for... reasons.

Melchiah

I admit I haven't read through the thread, but can you consider yourself a gamer if you don't own a WiiU?

I have a strong distaste for these kind of statements. Some don't like Nintendo's 1st party offerings, just like some don't like Sony's or Microsoft's. People have different tastes, news at eleven.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You shoot stuff in infamous, obviously it's similar to sunset

Infamous and SO are two completely different games.

That being said yeah SO should really be in the action section because it has the qualifications of a character action game.

of course they are different. my point is, and you seem to agree, they are similar enough that they both belong in the same genre.

EDIT: thank you, edited my response in reflection

Busaiku

I think the awards show how weak Wii U's lineup was this year.
It had super strong exclusives, but overall, there were so few titles.

Silky

Banned

Oh dear, I guess I'm not a gamer. Let me go sell my 360, PS3, PS2, GCN, Genesis, Dreamcast, 3DS, and laptop because CLEARLY I was lied to.

thanks for treating me like a moron. of course they are different. my point is, and you seem to agree, they are similar enough that they both belong in the same genre. jesus christ the nerve.

I apologize for my wording.

I guess my gaming interests further split from the consensus because I didn't have any of the top games anywhere near my list.

I'm all right with that.

NEO0MJ

Less than 1 %. Right.

You don't to survey a significant portion of the population to get reliable results, it wouldn't be feasible for companies to do that after all.
Even then, how many of those 147k members are active participants in gaming side? If members post exclusively in Off-Topic their votes won't matter much.

Riposte

Don't be silly, Journey is a game.

A bad one.

And what was worse is that The Walking Dead was second place. Talk about retrogressive. Wonder how soon it'll be before that happens again. Do Telltale games still get anywhere as much buzz?

For some reason I thought Evil Within would be a little higher, oh well :/

I'm also surprised Nintendo dominated the list as much as it did, but the games they put out last year looked really good so I'm not complaining.

geordiemp

That makes the assumption that all members of NeoGAF are regulars, that all members are allowed to post (banned members), and that no members have alt accounts.

I think 1,000 is a perfectly reasonable sample-size for a community this large, especially when you consider the tiny sample sizes used for shit like politics.

Its not a sample size though is it, its people that wanted to vote, like in a forum those who make most noise, hence its skewed by the 'strongest most vocal fans'.

Hence Bayo 2 won and its a very niche low selling game, but has the most vocal fans.

I don't like Journey either but calling it -- or any game that goes for a different direction in it's development than simply being 'a game -- 'not a game' is the most self-centered ass sniffing in the world.

You're probably one of those people who will refuse to call MYST a game.\

I agree, non-game was a bit harsh, sorry. Journey was one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever, I bought it after all the praise and couldn't understand the appeal at all. I sat there watching the credits roll after two hours and said to myself "That's it? What was that?". I bought it on a PSN sale for like three bucks and still felt ripped off. I think it's an incredibly overrated and shallow game.

Bayonetta fanboy or Ninty fanboy? Can't decipher which one are you.

I'm a fanboy of good games with actual gameplay.

Riposte

Its not a sample size though is it, its people that wanted to vote, like in a forum those who make most noise, hence its skewed by the 'strongest most vocal fans'.

Hence Bayo 2 won and its a very niche low selling game, but has the most vocal fans.
Maybe NeoGAF doesn't represent gaming at its largest breadth (where most of the sales occur)?

Dawg

Hold on, GAF voted Journey GOTY? Really? o_O

Of course.

It was the best game of 2012.

I understand why some people don't like it, but that game was the very definition of why I like gaming. Sometimes, something special comes along that thinks outside of the box. And I can really appreciate that.

Haunted

Don't be silly, Journey is a game.

A bad one.

And what was worse is that The Walking Dead was second place. Talk about retrogressive. Wonder how soon it'll be before that happens again. Do Telltale games still get anywhere as much buzz?
Not since Sean and Jake left to form their own dev studio.

So basically, watch out for Firewatch in 2016!

Melchiah

Oh dear, I guess I'm not a gamer. Let me go sell my 360, PS3, PS2, GCN, Genesis, Dreamcast, 3DS, and laptop because CLEARLY I was lied to.

It's effectively the same as saying others are not true metallers, if they don't listen to similar types of metal as (s)he does. I don't personally enjoy playing something like DMC any more than Bayonetta, the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me.

So we're beginning Stage 1: Denial and Isolation. Next is going to come Anger. Then we're going to start bargaining "if only other people voted," "if only other games weren't broken on release". Depression will come next. Then, finally, acceptance. At this point one might actually ask themselves "should I buy a Wii U?".

This is okay. We're here for you. We're all in this together.

I know it's not possible, but I'd LOVE to see a ranking and bar chart GOTY-points / game budget

Add Sales to that... and that'd be a damn fine analysis to read. Hmmm...

Top Bottom