• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

vall03

Aw, completely missed voting for GOTY 2014. Atelier Escha&Logy could have been the number 1 PS3 exclusive. Also, no 3DS platform awards or I just completely missed it?

Linius

There should be. See goty-consoles.txt.

3DS Exclusives
1. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Fighting) = 141 points, 15 honorable mentions
2. [3DS] Bravely Default (RPG) = 135 points, 12 honorable mentions
3. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (RPG) = 128 points, 7 honorable mentions
4. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (RPG) = 99 points, 8 honorable mentions
5. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Rhythm) = 86 points, 7 honorable mentions

No Fantasy Life :(

Oh well, can't complain since I didn't vote. I really should try to get in a gaming vote some time. I devote my time to tv show, film and music lists :p

No Fantasy Life :(

Oh well, can't complain since I didn't vote. I really should try to get in a gaming vote some time. I devote my time to tv show, film and music lists :p

Fantasy Life ranked 8th on 3DS overall and 7th among the exclusives.

8. [3DS] Fantasy Life (RPG) = 59 points, 3 honorable mentions

I didn't vote this year as I have yet to pick up a console from this gen, and voting for 10 PC games just seemed a little weird.

Kudos to Nintendo, though. I don't play a lot of their games, but their releases all seem to be polished efforts.

Soul Lab

I was already proud to be a part of this community without seeing this results. Now, I'm even prouder!

GAF! WonderRedThumbUp.gif

Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS are distinct games designed for their respective platforms. There are features unique to each version - not just stages, but design decisions to maximize playability on each platform.

This is probably the reason they're counted separately in the tally, which is therefore why they count as exclusives.

Was Horizon 2 360 made by the same studio as the XB1 version?

Haunted

Out of 147,000 GAF members, how many voted ....

This thread is kind a funny in that so little votes skewed in a predictable manner, and some try to read something meaningful in them.

Did the winner get 100 votes. Meaningful.
sample size how does it work

Polling 1084 voters out of a population of 147k nets us a less-than-3% margin of error for the results.

Sweet Ivy

Great work on the stats and all.

I think it was pretty obvious scrolling down the thread that many lists were Nintendo-only. Nothing wrong with it, but I think it's an interesting data.

RDreamer

Bah, I somehow missed the vote. Every time I thought of searching for the thread something else came up. Feels bad because that would have been one more number one vote to push Dragon Age up further.

Guess I should pick up a wii u sometime, mostly for Mario Kart. What I've played at friends places has been fun. Not even remotely interested in Bayonetta 2. The first just wasn't my thing.

Was Horizon 2 360 made by the same studio as the XB1 version?
I have no idea. I'm being dumbly defensive about Smash, that's all.

I know next to nothing about Forza, except that it's racing and you pronounce it Fortza.
Lurker, you could interchane Smash with Horizon 2 and your notes would still hold. There are a lot of features in that game exclusive to each version. For example, off-Road racing does not even appear in the 360 version.
Again, the distinction is in the title. It's not Forza Horizon 2 360 Edition, it's Forza Horizon 2 (all platforms), correct?

Smash is specifically named:
SUPER SMASH BROTHERS FOR 3DS
SUPER SMASH BROTHERS FOR WII U

If FH2 is named differently per-platform then you have a point.

Linius

Fantasy Life ranked 8th on 3DS overall and 7th among the exclusives.

8. [3DS] Fantasy Life (RPG) = 59 points, 3 honorable mentions

Ah, that's cool. Was already happy to see it appear in the new IP's top 20. My favourite games ranked 8th, 29th and 54th. Not too bad. Though it's a shame I could have had an impact on Fantasy Life's position but didn't :p

Gonna try to play at least five games in 2015 so I can get in a decent list for the new GOTY thread.

Haunted

Why? It's not unreasonable for somebody to only own a WiiU and if they do there's a good chance they'd only have Nintendo titles on their list.
To that I say broaden your horizons, son. Lots of gaming goodness to be had beyond the platform of your choice. I'm a big fan, but listing 10 games from one company as your personal 10 best games of the year is just iffy, even if said company had a great year. Same with Sony or Microsoft.

Luckily, only 22 people did that (compared to 4 on Sony platforms and 4 on PC), so it didn't impact the rankings too much.

This thread is kind a funny in that so little votes skewed in a predictable manner, and some try to read something meaningful in them.

Everyone who is a regular on GAF saw the voting thread. Those that felt passionately about the games they enjoyed, voted. These are the results. If you feel the games are undeserving or your bitter then insult the games themselves, not the methodology.

Polling 1084 voters out of a population of 147k nets us a less-than-3% margin of error for the results.
My sarcasm meter is off so I'm sorry if this is a joke, but it's not a random sample so the above doesn't apply at all.

NEO0MJ

To that I say broaden your horizons, son. Lots of gaming goodness to be had beyond the platform of your choice. I'm a big fan, but listing 10 games from one company as your personal 10 best games of the year is just iffy, even if said company had a great year. Same with Sony or Microsoft.

Not everyone can afford buying more than one system. Though I do find it strange to have a top ten entirely made up of Nintendo titles.

Someone needs to take Statistics 101.

My sarcasm meter is off so I'm sorry if this is a joke, but it's not a random sample so the above doesn't apply at all.

For the GAF population it is.

Linius

I admit I haven't read through the thread, but can you consider yourself a gamer if you don't own a WiiU?

A lot of people who enjoy games don't have money and/or time to own all consoles and play all the games. Silly statement (?) you're making there.

Awesome to see two of my favorite games of this year in the top 3. Also, I haven't played shovel knight yet even though I bought it. Guess I should get on that.

Oh yeah, forgot about the recommendation list:
1. [360][PS3][PC] Dark Souls II (RPG) - Actually sitting on my shelf but I haven't touched it yet. Dunno if I'll ever play it or just wait for the PS4 version.
2. [NWU][3DS][PC] Shovel Knight (Platform) - Voted as an honorable mention
3. [PS3][PS4] The Last of Us: Left Behind (Adventure) - Still in the middle of The Last of Us (lol I know) but I'll play this if/when I finish it.
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Dragon Age: Inquisition (RPG) - Zero interest, sorry.
5. [NWU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Puzzle) - I do want to play this
6. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Alien: Isolation (Horror) - Horror games aren't really my thing so I don't think I'd really enjoy this all that much.
7. [PS4][PC] Transistor (RPG) - Played it, and enjoyed it!
8. [IOS][AND] Monument Valley (Puzzle) - Never heard of this one, I'll look it up soon
9. [3DS] Bravely Default (RPG) - Voted as an honorable mention
10. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Wolfenstein: The New Order (FPS) - I want to play this!

It also recommended me several other games I've already checked out and enjoyed like Nidhogg (GOAT indie game, wish I played it sooner) and Danganronpa (playing right now). It also recommended me Under Night In-Birth which is something I'm dying to play but I'm waiting on the American release :(

I already said it in my GOTY post but 2014 was an incredibly strong year for me. Tons of games I loved.

Canucked

This OP was an amazing amount of work, good job guys.

Broken games left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of us.

giphy.gif

Not even remotely interested in Bayonetta 2. The first just wasn't my thing.

Sometimes you have to give a game a second chance

And other times you just need to just jump in.

Where would we be if we all ignored Street Fighter 2 because Street Fighter 1 wasn't our thing/didn't play it.

:p

SerRodrik

Wow, Bayonetta won! I really expected Dragon Age Inquisition to win, but I'm glad it didn't. I enjoyed it, but I had too many problems with it to call it game of the year.

I should get a Wii U.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
why is sunset overdrive listed in the shooter category while infamous, a game quite similar, is listed in the action game category? seems cut and dry that both should be listed as action games to me...

tumblr_neaff7Pbqp1qdrfdro1_500.gif

Bow to the Queen.

I'm surprised GAF showed such good taste this year. This is, after all, the same community that voted that overrated sunset-simulator non-game Journey as their GOTY.

Also, my list:

Code:
1. Bayonetta 2 ;

2. Mario Kart 8 ;

3. Super Smash Bros Wii U ;

4. Dragon Age: Inquisition ;

5. Dark Souls 2 ;

6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ;

Results:

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition
5. Dark Souls II
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Yeah, GAF had surprisingly good taste this year. :p

ehhh this isn't a random sample though, also even if it was I'm not sure it's quite the same given that it isn't a head to head contest :p

which would be hilarious to watch unfold, but would probably cause mountains of salt

also damn what's with all the people putting Mario Kart 8 on their ballot in a low spot, it could've won if they put it higher up!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Alien Isolation got in the top 11? GAF you have some good taste (even if it should have been no. 1)

I think I need to get a Wii-U

Everyone who is a regular on GAF saw the voting thread. Those that felt passionately about the games they enjoyed, voted. These are the results. If you feel the games are undeserving or your bitter then insult the games themselves, not the methodology.

See now, I call BS on this. I am an extremely passionate person, especially when it comes to gaming, but I didn't vote because I didn't see the worth in it. Among other personal beliefs about voting and statistics.

People need to realize that bias and hypocrisy are a thing and that just because their game didn't score higher on this list doesn't make it a bad game or worse than a game that scored higher.

All that this list shows me is the type of people who like to be outspoken about this sort of thing and maybe a bit of hypocracy where DC vs FH2 is concerned. However, I didn't vote so I have no justification to complain about the results. Again there is absolutely nothing wrong with it unless people take it as something set in stone.

Edit:I will say I find this affinity system fascinating though and if anything will get me to vote in the future it will be that.

USC-fan

Banned
Nintendo nails a couple of genres. But the problem is those genres are not popular now.

Seeing how much people like all these wiiu games but not many brought a wiiu this year.

Really seems like every wiiu game release this year made the list. Sure that not true and there are some minor releases that didnt.

Top Bottom