• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

DukeBobby

I'm surprised South Park: The Stick of Truth made it into the top ten.

A lot of people kept saying, "Really, it came out this year?", so I assumed everyone had forgotten about it.

I'm glad it did, though.

I'm surprised GAF showed such good taste this year. This is, after all, the same community that voted that overrated sunset-simulator non-game Journey as their GOTY.

111.gif

MCxNWnB.png

This graph is interesting. Kind of refelcts my opinion of 2012 and 2014 as weak gaming years.

I'm willing to bet that 2015 will have the biggest ballot count looking at that lineup.

Silky

Banned
It's effectively the same as saying others are not true metallers, if they don't listen to similar types of metal as (s)he does. I don't personally enjoy playing something like DMC any more than Bayonetta, the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me.

No 'true' scotsman.

seriously. i'd imagine because compared to the other consoles, there arent a ton of x1 owners here.

The PS4 audience is larger than the X1 audience on GAF going by the charts above, so of course the PS4 racer of high quality (in this case Driveclub) is going to beat the X1 racer of high quality (Forza Horizon 2.)

I've played neither and can't speak on their quality but it is what it is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
No 'true' scotsman.

The PS4 audience is larger than the X1 audience on GAF going by the charts above, so of course the PS4 racer of high quality (in this case Driveclub) is going to beat the X1 racer of high quality (Forza Horizon 2.)

I've played neither and can't speak on their quality but it is what it is.

for sure. also, both COULD make the top 20, doesnt have to be one or the other. in other words, i wasnt comparing fh2 to dc. ;)

Dawg

2012, the year of Max Payne 3, Dragon's Dogma, Mark of the Ninja and Spec Ops: The Line

I mean if YOU enjoyed Journey that's cool but I cannot with good conscience say it was anywhere in my top ten (because it was bad)

image.php

Naw, sorry. I posted my reply too fast. I do think it's the best game, but yeah I understand why others disagree. At the same time, I think it deserves the GOTY award the most. I really do. And I'm saying that as a huge Dragon's Dogma fan.

So like two weeks ago there was a wall collapse in Chicago at Elston and Potomac

It was at Morton Salt on North Side.

If you took this huge amount of salt and doubled it

It would still not compare to the salt in this thread

Wow at some of the responses to a few games on the list. Literally some drive by nonsense going on.

2014 was one of my favorite years of gaming because not only of the quality of titles I got to play, but because of how much fun I had. As someone who is now 33, I've played a lot of games since the NES. Wii U gave me some of that non-stop gaming fun that I remembered when I was growing up, playing with friends and just having a good time on my own.

Props to Nintendo for a stellar year in terms of software and everyone who got to enjoy them.

VinFTW

I guess I'm just a little upset a superb racing game that was broken at launch beat a superb racing game that was working at launch :/

FH2 doesn't get enough praise around here.

Oh well, opinions are opinions, nothing wrong with that. In fact, besides ME1 not winning GOTY of that year, can't say I disagree with any of these lists past few years.

edit: I think DAI would be higher on my personal list if they had more high level stuff to do. The dragons were so fun to do but by level 19 you can kill all of them and then, what do you do after that? Basically Bioware, not enough dragons.

Also I need to play Bayo 2 still. Excited for that in the summer.

Mononoke

Banned
everyone did that year

Yep. Still crazy to me. Then again, I'm still shocked over MGS4.

Anyways, I think the overall list for 2014 is fantastic. No list is ever going to be 100% perfect to an individual's own list. So it's nice to see this from the perspective of an entire community.

Lernaean

Banned
So like two weeks ago there was a wall collapse in Chicago at Elston and Potomac

Enjoy good games and stop being warriors. The war ended when Sega got killed, enough already.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I guess I'm just a little upset a superb racing game that was broken at launch beat a superb racing game that was working at launch :/

FH2 doesn't get enough praise around here.

Oh well, opinions are opinions, nothing wrong with that. In fact, besides ME1 not winning GOTY of that year, can't say I disagree with any of these lists past few years.

i'm not surprised that x1 games got the shaft in the overall voting, but i am absolutely shocked that fh2 didnt even make the x1 only top 5. thats CRAZY.

Dawg

Nothing beats the double GOTY victory salt MGS4 has though :p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
i'm not surprised that x1 games got the shaft in the overall voting, but i am absolutely shocked that fh2 didnt even make the x1 only top 5. thats CRAZY.

I put it in my top 5, I honestly thought it would be higher than Driveclub. And I put Driveclub at #1 heh.

jmizzal

The Queen rises Bayonetta 2 yesss

Wow WiiU exclusives 5 of the top ten, well SK is on PC and 3DS

And people still act like buying a WiiU is hard to do

Megatron

It's on 360, so that's why it didn't make it.

It had 169 points, so it would have been second on the list.

I'm quite happy Dark Souls II was #5. It seems that the love for the game was stronger that all that hyperbole I had to read during most of 2014.

JDSN

Banned
I refused to participate because I only bought like 4 games past year and I have not started to play Wasteland, but yeah Mario Kart and Bayo have my top spot.

Hero

This is an awesome top 10.

Congratulations, everyone!

Nintendo completely swept this year. Absolutely incredible!

I'm quite happy Dark Souls II was #5. It seems that the love for the game was stronger that all that hyperbole I had to read during most of 2014.

Eh, I skipped it and have no regrets. I've been a fan of the Souls series since day 1 and don't feel the mess surrounding Dark Souls II was hyperbole. I wasn't willing to support it. I'm perched for Bloodborne and that is enough for me.

KooopaKid

Banned
MCxNWnB.png

This graph is interesting. Kind of refelcts my opinion of 2012 and 2014 as weak gaming years.

I'm willing to bet that 2015 will have the biggest ballot count looking at that lineup.

Agreed. I also bought 8 games less this year compared to last (Huge considering I buy no more than 25 games usually (Download only included)). Thank god Nintendo saved it a bit.

Jamix012

Surprised DR1 won over DR2, though I personally prefer 2 over 1.

To be expected, unfortunately. More people played it. The good news is DR2 appeared higher in people's votes, for the people that actually voted for it. Nice set of results though, happy that Bayo 2 did well. Great game.

My affinity list

1. Ondore (95) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145144927&postcount=992
2. Andrew J. (94) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147823346&postcount=1812
3. antibolo (86) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143894989&postcount=642
4. Earthpainting (82) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145082713&postcount=988
5. Maragidyne (81) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143800588&postcount=526
6. Anth0ny (79) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147715604&postcount=1698
7. Eolz (78) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147827126&postcount=1821
7. Yoshi (78) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143578114&postcount=154
9. Gartooth (77) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147129455&postcount=1460
10. Salih (76) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145642099&postcount=1175

I didn't vote here but I compiled a list for another site and I have eight of the top ten games in common with the GAF list - and the two games I don't have on my list I haven't even played. So great list, though all that really matters is having the correct number one ;)

My recommendations:

1. [NWU] Bayonetta 2 (Action) = 27 points
2. [NWU] Mario Kart 8 (Racing) = 19 points
3. [NWU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Puzzle) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Action) = 4 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. [PC] Legend of Grimrock 2 (Adventure) = 3 points
6. [PSV][PS4][PC] The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (Action) = 3 points
7. [360][PS3][PS4] Earth Defense Force 2025 (Shooter) = 3 points
8. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Wolfenstein: The New Order (FPS) = 3 points
9. [PC] Divinity: Original Sin (RPG) = 2 points
10. [XB1] Sunset Overdrive (Shooter) = 2 points

Have MK8, will likely get Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Binding of Isaac, and Wolfenstein for sure. Want to play Sunset Overdrive, but zero interest in an XBox One. The most surprising recommendation is Earth Defense Force 2025...I'll have to look into it and see if it's actually up my alley.

As for users who clearly have good taste in games...

Good taste, my friends. Good taste.

Mononoke

Banned

I don't even understand what there is to be salty about. This is a list compiled of 1,000 + individuals. It's a collection of data from a large community. Who expects their own personal list to line up with an overall consensus?

I never understood people getting upset abut GOTY lists, simply because they are a collection of votes from a diverse staff of writers. But it's even more baffling here IMO because of the sheer amount of people voting.

Why would anyone expect this list to be 1:1 their list. And why get upset about anything? lol

I feel like Nintendo will mop up the awards for year 2015 as well. Well done, Nintendo.
Uncharted/Bloodborne/MGSV vs Zelda?

My money is on one of the first two, though maybe history will repeat itself and MGSV will create mountains of salt like the previous game.

Riposte

111.gif

MCxNWnB.png

Is less than 200 that significant? Not as strong of an argument for 2014.

dmr87

Nintendo killed it and it's all deserved because their games are allways polished to a shine, take note game industry.

Megatron

When was the last time the top 3 GAF games were all exclusive to the same console? Seems like something that could have happened in 2001 but maybe not since then.

RoKKeR

Great work on the OP as usual guys, I love the amount of statistics you cram in here. Always fun to look at the trends every year.

Pretty interesting year from my end at least, considering I've played one of the games in the top 10 and that came in at #9. Good on Nintendo for putting out a quality lineup of games this year.

The lack of love for Divinity is horrible... didn't even make Top 3 in the RPGs category... worse yet losing out to Dark Souls 2.

Disappointed but not surprised Second Son is over Sunset. I suppose I could take solace in the fact that it was so close despite the NeoGAF PS4 install base being so large in comparison to the X1, but ehh.

Have no issues with Bayonetta 2 taking the price, terrific game, and was in my top 3, Platinum continues to be on the next level and I can't wait for Scalebound. I don't think Smash is deserving of a top 3 spot, but that is because i'm spoiled with Project M. Dragon Age was my number one, and a 4th place finish is respectable, but I was hoping for top 3.

It was a solid, if unspectacular year for gaming despite the lack of any high profile 90+ games other than Bayonetta 2. This year seems set on having several of those though.

Top Bottom