• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Zocano

How are affinities calculated? I sorta just disagree don't feel exactly affiliated with the ones I was matched up it.

Not enough dark horse votes for my taste :p

The list that matters, Neogaf goty list presentation and stats keep getting better and better. Thanks for the hard work.

Congratulations to Nintendo and Platinum. Hope they can bring the heat this year aswell.

The "find your list's overall rankings" is a neat idea, especially since my affinity data only goes up to 43.

33. Bravely Default
96. Mario Golf: World Tour
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order
196. Yumi's Odd Odyssey
44. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
NR (43.5?). Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
97. Octodad: Dadliest Catch
48. Jazzpunk
125. Assassin's Creed Rogue
333. Card City Nights

The list that matters, Neogaf goty list presentation and stats keep getting better and better. Thanks for the hard work.

Thanks, each year we strive to make this better and get the thread up sooner. We accomplished both, but we've got a ways to go yet. This year I focused a lot on the presentation of the list since more data automation freed up some time.

Glad you guys are liking the thread.

ASIS

timetokill and Cheesemeister. I asked you yesterday when the results show up and timetokill you said "in the weekend". I didn't even expect it to be THIS fast. Wow well done guys, and thank you for doing this :)

Prototype

Damn, was not expecting Nintendo to do do well. Have to admit that I'm thinking its wii u owners coming out in full force.

Still I agree with MK 8,and woke I would have liked to see Dark Souls 2 higher, 5th place isn't bad.

I'll have to pick up Bayo 2 sometime...

Edit.

Thanks to OP for doing this. Very cool.

Tizoc

How GAF ranked my top 10:

5. Dark Souls II
27. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
90. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
95. Lords of the Fallen
17. Transistor
21. Driveclub (Bumped up due to TLOU Remaster?)
23. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
12. Destiny
22. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
31. P.T.

At least most of them fall in the 20-30 range. No love for Tomb Raider or LOTF makes me sad.

wHERe can I get this?

timetokill and Cheesemeister. I asked you yesterday when the results show up and timetokill you said "in the weekend". I didn't even expect it to be THIS fast. Wow well done guys, and thank you for doing this :)

I didn't want to overpromise. We're working to get the turnaround times down as much as possible. And you're welcome!

Wii U had an amazing year, and is very much so worth buying now. Glad to see it getting some appreciation here.

Shoutout to my affinity list, you all have great taste (name links to their ballots)!:
1. pariah164 (89)
2. cosmicblizzard (80)
3. chrominance (72)
4. A Link to the Snitch (68)
5. DarkLordMalik (68)
6. elmars369 (68)
7. jello44 (67)
8. Plasma (66)
9. theecakee (66)
10. antibolo (65)

How neogaf ranked my top 10:
16. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
24. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
8. South Park: The Stick of Truth
33. Bravely Default
54. Fantasy Life
47. Kirby: Triple Deluxe
58. Monument Valley
32. Super Smash Bros. 3DS
35. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
142. Terra Battle

220.gif

Thank you all for your hard work.

You guys should help Shinobi out. I think he said counts them by hand?!

I actually counted the GOTYs by hand for a couple years before Cheesemeister rode to the rescue offered to help out. Amir0x always counted them by hand as well. It's not so bad if the thread isn't too big, but automating it definitely allows for a wealth of other data and production that would be too much work otherwise.

Replace Dragon Age or South Park with Divinity and the list would be good.

Dragon Age had a really good start, rivaling Bayonetta even. Time didn't work for it. It might have dropped out of the top 5 if voting had continued longer. It didn't had the continued strength of Dark Souls 2 and the rest of the top 10 behind it.

Shout out to my homies. Where y'all at? I saw Withnail so far.

Code:
	1. HouseDragon (75) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143575294&postcount=105
	2. StaffyManasse (74) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143673538&postcount=407
	3. slaughterking (72) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144409138&postcount=880
	4. CoyoteSpitfire (69) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145317340&postcount=1033
	5. Melchiah (61) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146787662&postcount=1380
	6. ike_ (60) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145146565&postcount=993
	6. Noisepurge (60) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146076955&postcount=1235
	6. Panda Rin (60) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143576176&postcount=116
	6. Withnail (60) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145960219&postcount=1217
	10. Flayer (59) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145780372&postcount=1197

Thanks for the hard work guys. So much interesting data.
Looking at that first graph in the trends section made me realize that 3 out of the last 6 went to sony first party games.
Incredible year for Nintendo.

Theorymon

Wow, Nintendo taking the top 3. Well deserved! I wasn't really feeling it this year when it comes to mainstream AAA fair, so Nintendo and Indies really saved the year for me! Let's hope that 2015 is as kick ass as it looks for all the platforms!

Also, here's my affinity list. I gotta check out these games!

foamdino

Some pretty boring/obvious winners, but great showing from Nintendo (deserved top spot for MK8 but I would have placed bayonetta 2 lower it does nothing at all for me).

DA Inquisition was a surprise to me. Wolfenstein TNO getting credit it deserves and glad to see Mordor getting credit for actually trying something new in terms of gameplay systems instead of just refining currently existing systems.

Happened already.

hnILwRg.png

He took that better than I hoped :(

Comparing my ballot to the overall picks, I wasn't far off. Without the split, the Danganronpa games could have pulled 11th spot which is crazy. Only real outside picks were SMT IV (wrong year) and The Banner Saga which didn't get a console release.

1. Bayonetta [1]
2. Alien: Isolation [11]
3. Wolfenstein: The New Order [7]
4. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair [24]
5. Shin Megami Tensei IV [91]
6. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze [6]
7. The Banner Saga [37]
8. Shovel Knight [10]
9. Mario Kart 8 [2]
10. Destiny [12]

I am the GAF hive mind.

Bayonetta 2 is a worthy GOTY. Good to see it won, even if I haven't played it (yet, I'll get a Wii U for cheap one day and play it).

I didn't expect to see many of my picks make the top 20, so I'm happy to see Danganronpa and Transistor appear. 2014 was a really disappointing year for me but 2015 is looking like it'll easily blow it away.

Pandy

Nice list, GAF. Very nice.

I didn't vote, as it's my first year here, but I can see that I'm in good company. Going to pick up a few of the games I missed out on based on those recommendations.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Here's a post to acknowledge some posters which I apparently have a great affinity with :p

The best affinity I had with another user was 84.

Affinity chart said:

Really interesting to see that there's a lot of different affinity. Call out to archnemesis but I haven't played half the games on that list so I'm guessing those would be my recommendations. I don't however agree that Civilization: Beyond Earth is a good game. It's a mediocre game with a broken theme.

Out of the Top 10 games the charts recommend me I've played The Last of Us (really good but I didn't care to add it to this years voting), Dragon Age Inquisition (deeply flawed game but still entertaining when I squint with my brain), Infamous Second Son (just snubbed from my Top 10), and Tomb Raider (which I liked).

Top 10 recommendations for me said:
1. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Alien: Isolation (Horror) = 10 points
2. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Action) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [360][PS3][PC] Dark Souls II (RPG) = 8 points
4. [PS4] The Last of Us: Remastered (Horror) = 7 points
5. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Wolfenstein: The New Order (FPS) = 7 points
6. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Dragon Age: Inquisition (RPG) = 6 points
7. [PS3][PS4] The Last of Us: Left Behind (Adventure) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
8. [PS4] Infamous: Second Son (Action) = 5 points
9. [PC] Might & Magic X: Legacy (RPG) = 4 points
10. [XB1][PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Adventure) = 4 points

So perhaps it's time to go play Alien Isolation and Dark Souls II.

I actually counted the GOTYs by hand for a couple years before Cheesemeister rode to the rescue offered to help out. Amir0x always counted them by hand as well. It's not so bad if the thread isn't too big, but automating it definitely allows for a wealth of other data and production that would be too much work otherwise.

Out of curiosity what kind of crawler you guys use for counting the results? Python I assume?

Sadist

Donkey Kong being so high is strange because of the initial reaction to it's announcement. (But really good at the same time)

Goes to show; never ever judge Nintendo games when they're just revealed.

SparkTR

Dragon Age had a really good start, rivaling Bayonetta even. Time didn't work for it. It might have dropped out of the top 5 if voting had continued longer. It didn't had the continued strength of Dark Souls 2 and the rest of the top 10 behind it.

Probably because of how long the game is. Took a long time for the flaws to sink in, and for people to realise 'hey, this game isn't getting any better' as they went through the bloated content. Does not deserve to be in the top 5 IMO, especially not above Divinity.

BusterJol

Strider beat LBP3 in the Platformer category? Hell yeah!

Also holy shit that Nintendo bias. I should rebuy a Wii U soon... �i

JNA

Banned
Danganronpa for best adventure game and best Vita game.

This pleases me. Well done GAF. There is hope for you people after all.

Sayter

Thank you PlatinumGames for making the best sequel to one of the best games I've ever played.

Thank you Nintendo for having the courage, love, and taking the risk to bring us this game from certain death.

And thank you GAF for showing that you can have good tastes in games once in a while. ;p

And lastly, thanks to the GAFfers who made the awards possible. <3

Top Bottom