• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

brau

This is list so anti-climatic.
It feels no different than the dozens of other 2015 GotY lists, with or without Bloodborne.
To be fair though Until Dawn and Rocket League are in there so there is that ubt otherwise.

Pretty dull unimpressive list, and not because of Bloodborne; Witcha 3 could be #1 and it'd still be a dull list.

im just happy until dawn is getting a lot of attention. that game was my biggest surprise of the year.

Very well done thread!

Bloodborne was my number 1 and it is more than deserved! Incredibly good game! Until Dawn making the top 10 is a nice surprise!

Greddleok

It feels no different than the dozens of other 2015 GotY lists, with or without Bloodborne.
To be fair though Until Dawn and Rocket League are in there so there is that ubt otherwise.

Pretty dull unimpressive list, and not because of Bloodborne; Witcha 3 could be #1 and it'd still be a dull list.

What did you expect? People play the same games...

Good List. A little bit surprised a console exclusive game made #1 but that just shows how dominant the PS4 is on NeoGAF. I dont own a console right now, so I havent played BB, but the rest of the list is pretty much how I see it as well.

a look at the previous winners says otherwise:

2004: MGS3
2005: RE4
2006: Twilight Princess
2007: SMG
2008: MGS4
2009: UC2
2010: ME2
2011: Portal 2
2012: Journey
2013: TLoU
2014: Bayonetta
2015: Bloodborne

ME2 and P2 as multiplatform games from the get-go were the outlier so far.

This year unless it turns out shit UC4 will have it in tha bag. Maybe Zelda, if it even comes out, that is.

imagine the most popular games winning a popularity contest

Adventure Game of the Year: Life Is Strange = 1030 points, 20 honorable mentions
2. Batman: Arkham Knight = 531 points, 20 honorable mentions
3. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 = 447 points, 10 honorable mentions
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider = 326 points, 12 honorable mentions
5. Her Story = 229 points, 20 honorable mentions
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D = 222 points, 18 honorable mentions
7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate = 171 points, 6 honorable mentions
8. Axiom Verge = 164 points, 17 honorable mentions
9. The Order: 1886 = 114 points, 17 honorable mentions
10. The Beginner's Guide = 91 points, 9 honorable mentions

Uhh... the majority of these are not adventure games...

Karu

Affinity

Jup.

Recommended 2015
Karu
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190574028&postcount=1275
1. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Action) = 10 points, 2 honorable mentions
2. [PC] Undertale (RPG) = 6 points
3. [PC][IOS] Her Story (Adventure) = 5 points
4. [XB1][PS4][PC] Batman: Arkham Knight (Adventure) = 4 points
5. [PS4] N++ (Platform) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [PS3][PSV] SteinsGate (Adventure) = 3 points
7. [PS4][PC] Axiom Verge (Adventure) = 3 points
8. [PC] Cities: Skylines (Simulation) = 3 points
9. [PS4] Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (Adventure) = 3 points
10. [PC] Pillars of Eternity (RPG) = 2 points
MGS is on my list. Undertaile and Her Story and Pillars as soon as I get a gaming PC (years from now). Batman when it's really cheap. No to N++ & SteinsGate, Axiom Verge and Skylines, Rapture.

Eh, pretty good.

Recommended 2014
Karu
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143574712&postcount=95
2. [PC] Divinity: Original Sin (RPG) = 12 points
8. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Wolfenstein: The New Order (FPS) = 4 points
9. [XB1][IOS][AND] Threes (Puzzle) = 4 points

10. [360][PS3][PC] South Park: The Stick of Truth (RPG) = 3 points
11. [IOS][AND] Terra Battle (RPG) = 3 points
13. [PS4] The Last of Us: Remastered (Horror) = 2 points

15. [PS3][PS4] The Last of Us: Left Behind (Adventure) = 2 points
21. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][WII][3DS][PC][IOS][AND][WP] FIFA 15 (Sports) = 2 points
27. [PS4][PC] Transistor (RPG) = 1 point
28. [IOS][AND] Monument Valley (Puzzle) = 1 point

29. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Action) = 1 point
34. [PS3][PSV][PS4] Rogue Legacy (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
35. [PS4] P.T. (Horror) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

36. [360][XB1][PS4][PC] The Crew (Racing) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Off of 37 Recommendations I've got to play 14 games. The bolded games I liked.

Corto

Fantastic year for games! Thanks Cheesemeister and timetokill for another year of organizing the GOTY award. You guys rock!

BumRush

You guys are amazing! Incredible turnaround. Bloodborne is my favorite game in 5 years so I'm excited with the results.

UberTag

High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance (### = Average points per vote)

1. Bloodborne (3.229586)
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (3.157895)
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (3)
4. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (2.888889)
5. Undertale (2.627907)
These games rank highly on the quality list for a reason.
If you're a JRPG enthusiast reading this thread and you HAVEN'T taken the time to get your Trails/Kiseki fix on... well, what exactly are you waiting for?

Ultimadrago

im just happy until dawn is getting a lot of attention. that game was my biggest surprise of the year.

For sure, it and Tales from the Borderlands really impressed me compared to my considerably lower expectations coming into them.

If you're a JRPG enthusiast reading this thread and you HAVEN'T taken the time to get your Trails/Kiseki fix on... well, what exactly are you waiting for?

Listen to this guy.

Hugstable

Banned
Nu-uh!

*double-checks*

Oh shi-*runs for the hills*

lol yeah I think whatever program they got running is good at catching some things, but others it generalizes too much and ends up somehow stuffing all the votes towards a single game.... and a version that came out years ago. Then again the only difference between the 2 titles is 2 letters lol.

Seriously, Second Chapter is hooooooly fucking shit good. Did not expect that. So glad I got into this series big time just last month.

amm.. what is with those affinity lists? someone?

Searh OP for affinity. It will download some text files for various things like affinity and recommendations. Then search your username and it will take you to the algorithm's results for you.

lol yeah I think whatever program they got running is good at catching some things, but others it generalizes too much and ends up somehow stuffing all the votes towards a single game.... and a version that came out years ago. Then again the only difference between the 2 titles is 2 letters lol.

Ultimately we can't read people's minds, which is why we say to use the full titles, avoid abbreviations, and so on. It's also why we have the spreadsheet available during voting so you can see the data we're dealing with.

hydruxo

tumblr_o14ztbIaHq1qbtq0vo1_500.gif

I'm really glad to see Rocket League so high on the GOTY list too.

pariah164

Because of this mistake, I bet Cold Steel got shafted.

brau

For sure, it and Tales from the Borderlands really impressed me compared to my considerably lower expectations coming into them.

Listen to this guy.

i still have Tales from the Borderlands queued up. Played the first chapter, really enjoyed it. I think it would rank high on my list if i had finished it.

Searh OP for affinity. It will download some text files for various things like affinity and recommendations. Then search your username and it will take you to the algorithm's results for you.

sweet. let me try that.

Kabouter

On a forum as large as GAF, you really can't expect anything more niche than Bloodborne to take the win, let's be fair. It's always going to be somewhat more niche than most other lists, but only up to a point.

cyba89

Popular games win popularity contest. News at 11.

On a forum as large as GAF, you really can't expect anything more niche than Bloodborne to take the win, let's be fair. It's always going to be somewhat more niche than most other lists, but only up to a point.

To be fair Bayonetta 2 won last year and that's definitely way more niche than Bloodborne.

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
let's see the recommendation list :

1. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Life Is Strange (Adventure) = 10 points, 1 honorable mention played the first episode, it was okay, apparently the other are better, I need to play them
2. [PC] Undertale (RPG) = 10 pointsalready on my pile of shame
3. [XB1][PC] Ori and the Blind Forest (Platform) = 6 points need to go back to it
4. [XB1][PS4][PC] Batman: Arkham Knight (Adventure) = 5 points I dislike the batmobile a lot, and the rest of the game didn't feel as good as the 2 firsts one, or maybe I am just tired of the formula
5. [PC] Pillars of Eternity (RPG) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention I will check that
6. [PSV][PS4][PC] OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood (Sports) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention I liked the first one.
7. [XB1][PS4][PC] Fallout 4 (RPG) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention played a bit of it, I like some part of it but tere is too much that I don't like
8. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (RPG) = 2 points pile of shame
9. [PS4] Tearaway Unfolded (Platform) = 2 points tearaway was number 3 on my goty 2013 list sadly I don't have time to play it on ps4
10. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 (Adventure) = 2 points played the first ep it was ok
11. [PC] Cities: Skylines (Simulation) = 2 points not really my kind of game
12. [XB1][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] Mortal Kombat X (Fighting) = 2 points not a big MK guy
13. [XB1][PS4][PC] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Shooter) = 1 point, 1 honorable mentionI'll try that if I can find it dirt cheap
14. [PC] The Beginner's Guide (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention I will check that
15. [XB1][PS4][PC] Star Wars Battlefront (Shooter) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention It was fun for 4-5 hours
16. [XB1][PS4][PC] Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (FPS) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention pile of shame, I really liked the new order
17. [PS3] Yakuza 5 (Action) = 1 point pile of shame and I love the Yakuza games
18. [NWU] Splatoon (Shooter) = 1 point why not
19. [PS3][PSV][PS4][PC] Helldivers (Shooter) = 1 point played it for a bit but I don't have a group to play this type of coop game
20. [3DS] SteamWorld Heist (Shooter) = 1 point seems cool
21. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Call of Duty: Black Ops III (FPS) = 1 point I will wait for a really low price
22. [PS4][PC] Grow Home (Platform) = 1 point need to check that
23. [XB1][PS4][PC] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Action) = 1 point great game
24. [PS4][PC] Apotheon (Adventure) = 1 point nop
25. [PC] Hacknet (Simulation) = 1 point I want to play that
26. [PS4][PC] Magicka 2 (Adventure) = 1 point maybe
27. [XB1] Halo 5: Guardians (FPS) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention need to finish MCC first
28. [XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4] Shovel Knight (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention played it on 3DS, great game
29. [PS4] Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention played on ps3
30. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dying Light (Horror) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention played it, ok game
31. [XB1][PSV][PS4][PC] Nuclear Throne (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention played it, good
32. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][PC] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Horror) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention pile of shame
33. [PS3][PSV][PS4][PC][AND] Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (Action) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention disappointment of the year
34. [PS4][PC] Galak-Z: The Dimensional (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention played it, good game
35. [PS4] Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention played it, WALK FASTER, it was ok

Forkball

I finally got quoted in the GotY OP. Another one off my nerd bucket list.

Seven out of my top ten match GAF's so it's good to know the folks around here know what they're talking about. Didn't play Bloodborne though so I can't really comment on it. I wish Super Mario Maker scored higher. It had some stiff competition, but that game is really special.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Only because you've been following GAF all year. A year ago, you didn't even know the name of half of the games in the top 10.

Sakura

PSV Game of the Year: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky = 78 points, 2 honorable mentions

This doesn't make any sense.
In the overall vote list, you have:
48. [PSP][PSV][PC] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (RPG) = 84 points, 2 honorable mentions
55. [PS3][PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (RPG) = 64 points, 1 honorable mention

Neither game has 78 points, I'm confused.
And why is there both Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky second chapter at various parts?
For example in handheld and mobile awards:
8. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter = 84 points, 2 honorable mentions
9. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky = 78 points, 2 honorable mentions

In any case, Trails in the Sky is not a Vita exclusive so I don't see how it can win the Vita exclusive game.

Uzzy

dvsU9Kp.png
01nZTol.png

Adventure Game of the Year: Life Is Strange = 1030 points, 20 honorable mentions
2. Batman: Arkham Knight = 531 points, 20 honorable mentions
3. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 = 447 points, 10 honorable mentions
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider = 326 points, 12 honorable mentions
5. Her Story = 229 points, 20 honorable mentions
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D = 222 points, 18 honorable mentions
7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate = 171 points, 6 honorable mentions
8. Axiom Verge = 164 points, 17 honorable mentions
9. The Order: 1886 = 114 points, 17 honorable mentions
10. The Beginner's Guide = 91 points, 9 honorable mentions

That's an interestingly broad definition of the genre.

Great thread guys. Looking forward to reading the specifics when I get a chance.

My affinity list:
Don't recognize any names but I'll give em a read soon.

Recommended games:
1. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Action) = 19 points
2. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (RPG) = 16 points
3. [NWU] Super Mario Maker (Platform) = 11 points, 1 honorable mention
4. [PC] Undertale (RPG) = 10 points, 1 honorable mention
5. [NWU] Xenoblade Chronicles X (RPG) = 10 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] Destiny: The Taken King (FPS) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
7. [PC] Pillars of Eternity (RPG) = 4 points
8. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch (RPG) = 4 points
9. [PS4] Until Dawn (Horror) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
10. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Resident Evil HD Remaster (Horror) = 3 points
Hmmm none for me. Already played Undertale and Xenoblade and I wouldn't put either on my list and I already have REmake. No real interest in MGS or Witcher either and I can't say anything looks up my alley except maybe Mario and Pillars.

Exlusives always get more hype and more love here on neogaf, both are great games though. Glad to see batman make in the top 15 even though there is a lot of hate for it here in neogaf.

So just as an illustration, here's what the most anticipated games thread voted for 2015:

(bold is metacritic score or delay, italics is placement on goty thread list)

1) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Delayed to 2016
2) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - MC 91-95 NeoGAF #3
3) The Legend of Zelda (Wii U) - Delayed to 2016
4) Bloodborne - MC 92 NeoGAF GOTY
5) The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - MC 92-94 NeoGAF #2
6) Persona 5 - Delayed to Summer 2016
7) Xenoblade Chronicles X - MC 84 NeoGAF #11
8) No Man's Sky - Delayed to June 2016
9) Batman: Arkham Knight - MC 70-87 NeoGAF #13
10) The Order: 1886 - MC 63

11) Splatoon - MC 81 NeoGAF #6
12) Rime - Release date unknown
13) Halo 5: Guardians - MC 84
14) Star Wars: Battlefront - MC 72-75
15) Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - MC 69-72
16) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - MC 89
17) Star Fox Zero - Delayed to April 2016
18) Quantum Break - Delayed to 2016
19) Yakuza 5 - MC 83
20) Pillars of Eternity - MC 89 NeoGAF #15

This doesn't make any sense.
In the overall vote list, you have:
48. [PSP][PSV][PC] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (RPG) = 84 points, 2 honorable mentions
55. [PS3][PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (RPG) = 64 points, 1 honorable mention

Neither game has 78 points, I'm confused.
And why is there both Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky second chapter at various parts?
For example in handheld and mobile awards:
8. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter = 84 points, 2 honorable mentions
9. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky = 78 points, 2 honorable mentions

In any case, Trails in the Sky is not a Vita exclusive so I don't see how it can win the Vita exclusive game.

And Trails in the Sky did not release this year, on any platform

TheFatMan

Bloodborne wasn't my cup of tea but I have to admit that I'm in the minority on that one!

Great to see so many votes turn up this year!

Top Bottom