• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

Hugstable

Banned
Because of this mistake, I bet Cold Steel got shafted.

I think Cold Steel making it may have some to do with it's votes getting eaten up there, but also think many ended up playing SC first and are just getting into Cold Steel late. I know I'm one of them as I just started Cold Steel big time after I finished SC on monday, and now on Chapter 5 I definitely would have added it to my GOTY list, but just didn't get to it in time since I've been playing so much to get it done. Really great game though, hope Xseed can get part 2 (Sen 2) out even earlier this year so more people get a chance to play it on vote on it. Plus I think it's gonna be the only Trails game this year so it shouldn't be stuck in any confusion (unless Xseed are secretly gods in disguise and pull Sora 3Rd out of their ass somewhere [pleeeeeeeeeeease])

What would you say defines an RPG then?

I do find it funny that people shout about how great the action is in Bloodborne, but it wins an award for games that are generally praised on their writing.

lol are you all really about to have the tired "is soulsborne an RPG" argument in a GOTY results thread?! >_>

Matty77

Looking at my recs and the game I really know nothing about that by name alone intrigues me is Sunless Sea. Don't really feel like re-reading the voting list thread for mentions of one game( on phone) can anyone give me some quick reasons I should play this?

Despite what the thread says, Rise of the Tomb Raider was also on 360.

True, but I doubt people wanted to play that version considering it's a game clearly designed for current-gen consoles and to only experience it at a fidelity it wasn't intended to be seen at wouldn't allow them to really appreciate what was put into making the game so impressive visually.

The PC version will probably be reasonably successful (at least I hope so) since it's been a few months since the big games of 2015 came out and while they might not have cared about the game when it was only on XB1/360 and releasing the same day as Fallout 4, now that they've played those more popular games a bunch and we're in a less exciting month for videogame releases, they may be more compelled to pick it up as a new game to test out the power of their PC and occupy them until we get into the more exciting videogame release months of this year.

yuraya

RoTR beating out Halo 5 for Xbox game of the year is really something. MS really fucked up big time with that franchise. They should have never let Bungie go.

Tomb Raider had xp,levels as well,guess its an RPG now along with the dozen other games nowadays that feature RPG elements.

Bloodborne has no story choices whatsoever,barely any dialogue.
It's an action game and I still have no idea why people insist on calling it anything else.

Anyway grats to BB! (and LiS/Until Dawn for top 10)

It does have story choices. And dialogue. And rich lore. Character creation. Builds. Loot drops. Stats and numbers. Role playing.

It is an RPG, but one with awesome combat.

10) The Order: 1886 - MC 63

image.php

Yeah, that's fair, I'd already forgotten about that game. Voting was really Nintendo heavy last year.

Yea only 1000 points for goty last year, it would have probably been number 4 or 5 this year. It seems we got more then double the votes of last year, which is insane, wonder why.

derExperte

2014 was so shitty, the fact that Dragon Age Inquisition is anywhere on the list is appalling.

Wasn't 2014's fault as there were enough great games, it's all on the voters. Same goes for this year's imo overall rather terrible list but I expected nothing else.

Hugstable

Banned
For some reason, I thought Trails in the Sky FC (PC) came out early in 2015. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with most of those votes.

lol but Trails in the Sky FC won on Bita!

Yea only 1000 points for goty last year, it would have probably been number 4 or 5 this year. It seems we got more then double the votes of last year, which is insane, wonder why.

Because it was an overall better year for games compared to last year, so more people gave a shit

So just as an illustration, here's what the most anticipated games thread voted for 2015:

(bold is metacritic score or delay, italics is placement on goty thread list)

1) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Delayed to 2016
2) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - MC 91-95 NeoGAF #3
3) The Legend of Zelda (Wii U) - Delayed to 2016
4) Bloodborne - MC 92 NeoGAF GOTY
5) The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - MC 92-94 NeoGAF #2
6) Persona 5 - Delayed to Summer 2016
7) Xenoblade Chronicles X - MC 84 NeoGAF #11
8) No Man's Sky - Delayed to June 2016
9) Batman: Arkham Knight - MC 70-87 NeoGAF #13
10) The Order: 1886 - MC 63

11) Splatoon - MC 81 NeoGAF #6
12) Rime - Release date unknown
13) Halo 5: Guardians - MC 84
14) Star Wars: Battlefront - MC 72-75
15) Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - MC 69-72
16) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - MC 89
17) Star Fox Zero - Delayed to April 2016
18) Quantum Break - Delayed to 2016
19) Yakuza 5 - MC 83
20) Pillars of Eternity - MC 89 NeoGAF #15

This is really interesting. Thanks for posting it.

massoluk

Banned
Oh chucks, I wished Xenoblade is a bit higher, but hey, it got pretty high for a late release. It even beating some big names like Destiny Taken King and Arkham Knight.

And may be I should finally get Bloodborne.

Lol i see this is about to turn into a salt mine of whether bloodborne is an rpg which will than somehow turn into is it an new ip which than turns into is it first party. Never change gaf

I do find it funny that people shout about how great the action is in Bloodborne, but it wins an award for games that are generally praised on their writing.

BB has insanely rich lore. It's extremely well-written, it's just far more subtle than other games in that you have to do most of the lore hunting yourself.

Asd202

Bloodbrone has an amazing lore.

What is this affinity list people keep posting in this thread.

Check the full data download link in the OP or Post #6. You'll find an affinity document in there. Search for your name. It's the list of people who voted most similarly to you. Your "bros" on GAF so to speak.

RoTR beating out Halo 5 for Xbox game of the year is really something. MS really fucked up big time with that franchise. They should have never let Bungie go.

Amazing how much apathy that franchise inspires now. Even from me, a huge fan of the series since 2001, couldn't care about it. Gotta wonder how Gears of War is gonna fare, they're in a similar situation with the unproven Coalition.

First time my goty is GAF goty! Well done folks. Not sure about MGSV being in the top ten let alone third, but it is what it is.

Alo0oy

Banned
The conspiracy has been true for a while now.

I would have voted for Bloodborne even if it was iOS exclusive, likewise my most likely vote next year is for Dark Souls 3 which is multiplatform.

Is it really that hard for people to understand that people are only voting for their favorite game? The game being an exclusive is just an unintended coincidence.

Do some people actually believe that most people here are fanboys that get an extra enjoyment out of games because people on other platforms can't play it?

Top Bottom