• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF JANUARY 2010 Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Boss! said:
Last pick-up of 2010 till August since I'll be gone for the better part of this year. My favorite thread on GAF and I'll be watching from afar. See you guys/gals in eight months.

Best regards, YB!
Where are you going?!

Anyway, all the best!

Not to derail the thread, but.

y8gkX.jpg

Horrifying. D:

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Valkyr Junkie said:
Is that the MGS4 art book that was just released?

Yeah. It's pretty good. It has some nice concept art for Raiden and his evolution to what he was in MGS4. Sunny has some cool concept art as well and they have a few unused characters like "Snake-Man".

The phone strap is really old but I got it for free when I bought another Ga-Ko alarm clock. They usually go for about $15-$20 on ebay/Yahoo Japan.

KanZolo said:
how much/ where did u get the Ga-ko clock

The clock can be found on ebay and/or Yahoo Japan. It's usually around $60US. I'm picking up another 3 for gifting purposes from a friend in Japan:D

LiK

Liquidus said:
Yeah. It's pretty good. It has some nice concept art for Raiden and his evolution to what he was in MGS4. Sunny has some cool concept art as well and they have a few unused characters like "Snake-Man".

The phone strap is really old but I got it for free when I bought another Ga-Ko alarm clock. They usually go for about $15-$20 on ebay/Yahoo Japan.

dayam, you're lucky. i need to look for that phone strap...

krae_man

DSCN0449.jpg

I like these Magnet UMD cases better then the old ones. It was hard to get games in and out of the old ones(especially the ones with 4 clippy things, the three's wern't so bad).

Be Carefull stacking them though as they stick together. I went to pick up one and the other one stuck to it then fell and the 8 UMD's inside went flying:lol

I'm also on a Klonoa binge since I beat and loved Moonlight Museam.

Truespeed

dustytruly said:
what's wrong with it?

A Blu-ray crime was committed on the video. High-Def Digest gave the video quality a 1.5 / 5. One can only wonder WTF they were thinking when they shot this movie.

"Utterly disappointing" is the only phrase that comes to mind at the moment. This Blu-ray edition of '28 Days Later' arrives with a hazy 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer that's only a meager step up from the already-problematic DVD. In fact, I found the finalized image incredibly similar to the upscaled DVD presentation.

Where to start? The entire transfer is soft and host to the murkiest backgrounds I've yet to experience on either high-definition format. Actors are blurry, textures are indistinct, and fine details are frequently obscured by video noise. Shaky colors and wavering contrast combine to create a painful, two-dimensional picture -- one that is further flattened by the consistent presence of intrusive artifacts. Even worse, most shots suffer from edge halos, quick pans tend to pixelate the image, and cityscapes are smeared and shifty. Detail is the tiniest bit sharper than the DVD, but it's a minor improvement that's an inherent product of the increased resolution.

To be fair, I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the video on this release. The majority of the film was shot using a European model Canon XL-1s standard-definition camcorder at 720x576 resolution (thanks to Grubert for the info), a decision on the part of the filmmakers to give the film a rough-around-the-edges visual style. As such, it’s unrealistic to expect that '28 Days Later' would look as sharp as other high-def releases. I did, however, hope to see at least some benefit from this Blu-ray transfer.

While an argument can (and I’m sure, will) be made for Boyle's directorial intentions, in my book it can't justify a higher video score for this one. It would simply be irresponsible to rate this transfer at the same level as other, better looking, high-def releases.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's not going to look worse than the DVD.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
HUELEN10 said:
Couldn't it look worse than a properly upscaled DVD though?
Honestly I haven't seen it on BRD, but the movie looks crappy. That's how it's supposed to look.
That's how it looked in theaters, that's it looks on DVD and that's how it looks on HD On Demand.

It's an awesome fucking movie and I have a hard time believing anyone is going to be disappointed because the transfer isn't as good as Ratatouille.
Also, that quote a few posts up says it's "a meager improvement over the DVD. And extremely similar to the upscaled DVD."

Truespeed said:
One can only wonder WTF they were thinking when they shot this movie.
Just wanted to point this out for further ridicule.

HUELEN10

Sometimes you need a break from the "real" and "serious" Marvel and DC comics...
2rwm0ew.jpg

I just had to own a copy to see what the buzz was about. I have nothing else to say as I know I'm gonna be bashed and ridiculed to hell as is.

FOOTE

heh, I'm not really worried about reviews of the PQ and stuff. I like the movie so I'm sure I'll be fine with it on blu-ray. Plus for $10 I won't be turning emo if I end up not liking it for whatever reason. :)

SmZA

Haven't posted in a long while so some of these are from December.

2iw3hqf.jpg

I spent a lot less on Steam sales this Christmas than the previous one. It helped that I already owned most of the games they had the best sales on.

295bwpt.jpg

I started buying games from GoG.com, some I already own but I wanted them DRM-free.

mv15dk.jpg

My first plastic instrument game. An incredible experience. Played through the career twice so far, will do so again.

2dlufmf.jpg

Two new USB mics for Beatles RB. Oh, the games? They'll hopefully generate a few bucks sealed on eBay.

20gbfwm.jpg

Today's purchase. I only paid $AU30 with Op Flashpoint 2 traded in. Really didn't think I'd ever buy this game but reviews and the demo sold me.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I can't find time to enjoy games anymore :( So I'll enjoy this while I work...

4287205324_a9f6235cdc.jpg

Oh yea, I got this keychain....

4286468115_ed5148f1d1.jpg

DoubleTap

FoxMcCloudDS said:
I got the same thing, just the H233H (23") a few days ago and am loving it. How are you liking yours?

So far, I'm loving it too. There's obviously better monitors out there, but you get so much with this one for such a cheap price.

AlfaTrion

Before the pictures, I will like to say please do not quote this post with the images!
I've been extremely busy for the last while so I have a good lot of pics for you :)

Mods: Please let me know if you need me to join my 2 posts together.

I will start with game related pick-ups:

I forgot that I even ordered this litho until it came in the mail!
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

My mom got this for me:
IMG_0096.jpg

Ebay:
IMG_0079.jpg

Birthday gift - Street Fighter Tribute (Udon):
IMG_0265.jpg

Birthday gift - Arkham Asylum TPB the game was based on:
IMG_0267.jpg

Random:
IMG_0276.jpg

Picked up in Japan:
IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Won from Sega's Free Stuff Friday:
IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Steam/XBL:
meDLC.png

steam.png

Gameboy415

krae_man said:
[FC16 GO pics]

How is it?? Any problems with the screen or compatibility issues??
I thought about buying one over the holidays, but I'm sure there will be more 3rd-party SNES portables in the future so I can wait. Also, I'm waiting to see if Messiah releases something like a Generation NEX for SNES games.

Since I got back in Japan, I've been killing spare time between lessons by going to used book stores...not the best idea when you're trying to save money. :lol
Everything was super-cheap though.

I'm going to do my best not to buy ANYTHING else until April when I (HOPEFULLY) start my new job(s) and start raking in big bucks again. I have one (2nd) interview this Saturday and another next Tuesday (at a different school). Assuming I get both jobs, I'll be making DOUBLE what I make now! :D

Anyway, here are my January pick-ups:

GAMES:
1001Games1.jpg

オーバキューン (Oh! Bakyuun) for JP PS1 - Guncon game I'd never seen before. 250円
Bomberman Land for JP PS1 - Japan-only, and looks fun. 300円
SEGA ゲームのかんづめVOL.1 (SEGA Games Can Vol. 1) for JP SCD - I stupidly mistook this for a Saturn game. Oops. Only 100円 though.
Floating Runner for JP PS1 - Looks fun, 100円.
グーグートロプス (GuuGuuTrops?) for JP PS1 - Caveman game from Enix I'd never seen/heard of before. Only 100円.
アナザーマインド (Another Mind) for JP PS1 - Made by Squaresoft. 100円 too.
ポコニャン! (Poko Nyan!) for JP GB - Loved the Super Famicom game and found this one for 189円.

GUIDES:
1001Guides.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Guide - 300円 @ my local Book-Off
Fossil Fighters Guide - 300円, but I was pissed to see some of the pages near the back had been ripped out and TAPED back in. It was sealed in a plastic bag so I didn't notice until I opened it at home. :(
Parappa The Rapper Guide - 210円. Lots of awesome artwork and a catalog of Parappa merchandise!
Advance Wars 1 & 2 Guide - 105円
Kirby 64 Guide - 105円
Banjo-Kazooie Guide - 105円. I recently started playing it again on 360 so this will be a big help!

MANGA:
1001Manga1.jpg

Slime Daisakusen Volume 1 - full color!
.Hack//G.U.+ Volume 5 - Got em all now :D
Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Volume 9 - Good stuff
Yoshi's Island Volume 1 - VERY old, guide + manga
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins Volume 2 - ditto^
Super Donkey Kong Volumes 1 & 2 - ditto ^

1001Manga2.jpg

Pokemon DP Volumes 1-3, & 5 - 100円 each, but Volume 4 was 250円 for some stupid reason so I held off.
Pocket Monsters RS Volume 1 - 100円
Godzilla Vs. Biollante - 160円
Donkey Kong Volumes 1 & 2 - 170円 each
Super Bomberman 4-Koma Volume 2 - 100円
Bomberman/B-Daman Specials - 100円 each
Violinist of Hamelin Volumes 8-14 - 100円. Slowly working to complete my set of this series..

MISC:
1001Misc1.jpg

Parappa the Rapper talking alarm clock - Only 850円! :D
Yoshi Keychain - 50円!
TMNT Keychains - 50円 for BOTH!

1001Watch.jpg

Diesel Watch - A Christmas gift from my girlfriend :D

AlfaTrion

Continued from post 689:

The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (Special Edition):
2 CDs a DVD and a booklet. My favourite band, EVER.
IMG_0307.jpg

2.5/3.5 sata docking station
IMG_0059.jpg

Asus G51Vx and Razor mouse. It also came with these wii-like nunchuck controllers (not shown):
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

New Shelf (Ikea):
IMG_0074.jpg

Gift from San Diego ComicCon - When my friend came up to visit, he brought it up for me:
IMG_0083.jpg

The same friend gave me his DVD collection. These pics are only half of them:
IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

W00t Shirts:
IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

Windows 7 Upgrade for my Dad's new HP. I also got one for my new Asus (not shown):
IMG_0107.jpg

From Japan

Kanji books for kindegarden and grade 1 :)
IMG_0268.jpg

Birthday gift - Micky Mouse Transformer!:
IMG_0272.jpg

My new passport and my JR Rail/Shinkansen pass:
IMG_0283.jpg

My new Seiko Limited edition watch. Only 300 made.
My 30th year was one of the best years of my life. Even though I broke up with a wonderful girlfriend, there were so many amazing things that happened that made it THAT good. I thought I would commemorate my 30 years with something special. Besides my laptop/hdtv/car/tuition, this is the most expensive thing I've ever bought.
IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

ili0926

WEGGLES said:
Yesss!

They're playing a festival in Toronto with Pavement and Broken Social Scene... SO badly want to go..

Is it the Olympic Island concert?

I missed it when Bloc Party came around. Spent a long time regretting it. What's holding you back?

glaurung

AlfaTrion said:
That is one insanely good-looking watch. Too bad I won't ever be able to afford something of that kind.

Nice DVD collection too, at first glance I thought that someone had nicked my movies somehow, but it seems that those are not PAL version. Pumping Iron's cover is a dead giveaway.

krae_man

Gameboy415 said:
How is it?? Any problems with the screen or compatibility issues??
I thought about buying one over the holidays, but I'm sure there will be more 3rd-party SNES portables in the future so I can wait. Also, I'm waiting to see if Messiah releases something like a Generation NEX for SNES games.

L+R buttons are shitty. Its a little thick but otherwise seems fine. I havn't had much time to fool play around with it yet. I only messed around with Stunt Race FX for like 10 minutes.

I dont know what games have compatability issues with the clone systems so I dont know what the compatability is like. Give me a list of games you want tested and I'll try it if I own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom