• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF JULY 2011 Pick-Up Post! Show Us Your Goods! (Real pics or BAN!)!

moop2000 said:
Today's thrift store scores were very Star Wars centric, particularly KOTOR-ific! I also decided to grab one blind box Street Fighter x Kidrobot fig at an Urban Outfitters and of course get the most generic shitty looking Ken. Damn you blue Dhalsim!!

I have two blue dhalsims and would trade you one, but I already have ken. :(

Solemn Nomad

Neo Member
I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu this month. Super psyched about that.
aa95bq.jpg

Two kidrobot x Street Fighter figures.
2628uph.jpg

And last but not least, a much needed juicer and a blender.
28i56z9.jpg

risk

Thanks guys

CrankyJay said:
Pick up of the year? That's awesome man.

My brother works in a Chicago hospital as a person who fits prosthetic limbs for people.

How much does something like this run?

edit: Fuck, no pun intended.

I'm not really sure because we got my insurance paid for it, but it should be at least 30k

After being kind of disappointed with the MBA release yesterday ($999 for 64GB SSD & 2GB Ram... no mi gusta)
I decided to jump back into a macbook pro
2.3GHz Core i5 13.3" w/ 4GB Ram and 320GB from the online refurb store

d/l lion as I type

xb8trl.jpg

zychi

Banned
Litflynt912 said:
After being kind of disappointed with the MBA release yesterday ($999 for 64GB SSD & 2GB Ram... no mi gusta)

d/l lion as I type

how much was this refurbished? I'm in the exact same boat, I was anticipating a better release for the MBAs and now am thinking of just getting a 13 inch mbp from amazon.

zychi said:
how much was this refurbished? I'm in the exact same boat, I was anticipating a better release for the MBAs and now am thinking of just getting a 13 inch mbp from amazon.

It came out to just over 1135 w/ tax and next day air (ordered yesterday morning)
but it's 1019 refurbed for the 13.3" Core i5
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC700LL/A?mco=MjIwMTAxNTY

you can find the same model (Feb 2011 release w/ thunderbolt) for under $1000 if you look on macmall or amazon but I have papers for grad school that couldn't wait...
I sold my iMac in anticipation and after deciding the MBP would be a better fit, I pulled the trigger

Solemn Nomad said:
I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu this month. Super psyched about that.

And last but not least, a much needed juicer and a blender.
28i56z9.jpg

That's the same juicer we have. Bought it during the wife's pregnancy for vegetable/fruit juice. It will juice anything. I was tempted to uproot a tree and give it a shot.

kpx0

Banned
Litflynt912 said:
It came out to just over 1135 w/ tax and next day air (ordered yesterday morning)

you can find the same model (Feb 2011 release w/ thunderbolt) for under $1000 if you look on macmall or amazon but I have papers for grad school that couldn't wait...
I sold my iMac in anticipation and after deciding the MBP would be a better fit, I pulled the trigger

i dont know how people go from an imac to a mbp as their only system unless portability is their main priority. the drop from a high end ips panel (imac) to a mid-high end TN panel (mbp) is huge

im personally a PC guy but i would rather spring for an imac + macbook setup (solid home system with great display and a good quality portable system)

mbp = high end specs bottlenecked by mediocre display

JEKKI

got damn you pickup thread!!! you have made me jump on the band wagon!!!

aF3eT.jpg

and as if I wasnt broke enough...

jzquQ.jpg

the store was having a Twitter sale where if u mention, u dont gotta pay sales tax.

how could I say no?!?!?!?!

kpx0 said:
i dont know how people go from an imac to a mbp as their only system unless portability is their main priority. the drop from a high end ips panel (imac) to a mid-high end TN panel (mbp) is huge

im personally a PC guy but i would rather spring for an imac + macbook setup (solid home system with great display and a good quality portable system)

mbp = high end specs bottlenecked by mediocre display

while I see your point...thunderbolt or HDMI --> cinema display is better than a previous generation iMac
2009 iMac
http://www.macworld.com/article/143636/2009/11/imacs_late2009_benchmarks.html

2011 macbook pro
http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2011/02/macbookpro-benchmarks-early-2011/
I gain a better performing GPU and the option to move around with the machine
and yes, portability was the main reason for making the move...personally I buy a few mac's a year depending on my current need and am an early adopter in most respects

I work in a windows enterprise environment 45-60 hours a week, when I'm home I want to be away with it

Solemn Nomad

Neo Member
MiniBossman said:
That's the same juicer we have. Bought it during the wife's pregnancy for vegetable/fruit juice. It will juice anything. I was tempted to uproot a tree and give it a shot.
That's good to hear. It was the best selling juicer on Amazon and the reviews were good so that was the deciding factor. Can't wait to bust it open tomorrow and turn everything in my fridge to juice.

Ken

Litflynt912 said:

d/l lion as I type

Nice Altron and Spiegel lol.

JackEtc

Litflynt912 said:

d/l lion as I type

http://i.imgur.com/xb8trl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Nice man. I can't wait to get my MBP next summer...Wanna get it so badly.

zychi

Banned
Litflynt912 said:

i appreciate the quick feedback. i just realized the mba has a better display than the mbp. such a bummer they didnt upgrade the display on the 13 in mbp. i think i'm going to end up paying for a 13 inch mba, but then i have the issue of not being able to upgrade the ram when i want.

frickin' apple always giving me a headache with this shit.

I placed this order with Telltale Games Start of June. Finally arrived today.

DSC_0731.jpg

DSC_0732.jpg

My Sam & Max Symbiotes figures. I had orded some Homestar runner ones but I only just found out they were cancelled.

DSC_0733.jpg

This was meant to be a father day present for my dad, he introduced me to Sam & Max when I was a kid with Sam & Max Road Rage. Awesome game. Poster is signed, just need to get a frame for it now.

Absinthe

Litflynt912 said:

d/l lion as I type

Do you see any problem with having the slower HD and lower resolution screen compared to the 13in MBA?

akmcbroom said:
Do you see any problem with having the slower HD and lower resolution screen compared to the 13in MBA?

with the HD, I can swap for my SSD (which is not that big of an issue) and to compensate for resolution when in light room I switch to an external display...I don't do heavy editing on the road...but I think too much of a brouhaha has been made about the screen...it's no IPS but it's not that bad.

there are apps available to help tweak your maximum allowable resolution and fine tune it depending on the application you are trying to run.

the MBA and MBP are two separate beasts, well defined in their own right...one doesn't 100% replace the other in 100% of the same tasks and remember that it's going to be different for every user...

for me...I paid a couple hundred more for the freedom to hang onto the ability to swap hard drives and memory for one more generation...

In my opinion, the MBA is the future of what most "non tablet based computing" will be...
we will all migrate to some form of cloud based / web GUI usage, but I just want to hold out for a better spec'ed MBA for 1000....this is the old man in me coming out hanging on for one more generation of notebooks....trust me...the next macbook pro will be quite different from this iteration.

KorrZ

3fTKA.jpg

Got a student loan check yesterday, went a little bit crazy with the extra $ I had :)

- 160GB PS3 w/inFamous&AC2
- Cosmo Blue Nintendo 3DS w/Ocarina of Time 3D

KorrZ said:
http://i.imgur.com/3fTKA.jpg[IMG]

Got a student loan check yesterday, went a little bit crazy with the extra $ I had :)

- 160GB PS3 w/inFamous&AC2
- Cosmo Blue Nintendo 3DS w/Ocarina of Time 3D[/QUOTE]

Here's hoping your 3DS is the fixed model.

eXistor

Got a great deal today: second hand Alice Madness Returns (with working dl code for the original Alice!) and Klonoa for the Wii for a grand total of €14,- You don't get lucky like that every day!

1zdal1k.jpg

KorrZ

_dementia said:
Original model 3DSes had a flaw that would cause the lower screen to scratch the top one.

God dammit Nintendo.. Do they cover it under their warranty? Now I'm paranoid :\

daffy

Banned
_dementia said:
Original model 3DSes had a flaw that would cause the lower screen to scratch the top one.
oh lol, that is hardly broken.
KorrZ said:
God dammit Nintendo.. Do they cover it under their warranty? Now I'm paranoid :\
If you're not over sensitive it is easily preventable by placing a cloth inside when you close it. Easy peasy.

Number45

FTH said:
oh lol, that is hardly broken.

If you're not over sensitive it is easily preventable by placing a cloth inside when you close it. Easy peasy.
The hardware damages itself in the process of being used as intended? What would you call that if not broken?

Top Bottom