• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT7| Make friends, then kill them (SIGNUPS OPEN, NEW PLAYERS WELCOME)

Not
Pronoun: He
Preferred game(s): I don't know anything about Playstation, Persona, or Vampires. It's Pop by default.
Difficulty: Hardest (is it really called Blargonaut?)
Time-zone: PST

Theming isn't all that important to ho the game operates, just flavor and the like, and yo don't need to know the theme to enjoy the game.

Also, difficulty is something for the gamerunner, not the players, so you don't need to specify that. As for why we specify the most complex tier as Blargonaut? Well...

*snip*
Difficulty: Hardest (is it really called Blargonaut?)
*snip*

Consider: A host
sets difficulty, yet I
have never hosted.​

QbAZxDs.png

Not

Banned
All the links to other past games make no sense, but I'll get the hang of it when I get started I think.

Is one person always the narrator/moderator? Fun part about RL mafia is spinnin yarns

RetroMG

All the links to other past games make no sense, but I'll get the hang of it when I get started I think.

Is one person always the narrator/moderator? Fun part about RL mafia is spinnin yarns

The links are to the main game threads. (Or at least they should be.) You can also go to Outer Gafia and read the other threads for the game.

Different people volunteer to moderate the games each season.

EDIT: You might need to register an account to access the archives, but hey, you'll need one to play anyway.

Zubz

Banned

Per game? Yeah, there's only one GM per game.

Ourobolus

Banned

One (or in a couple cases, two) person is the moderator who writes the fluff and all that, yes. Sometimes we have OTHER moderators or past moderators sub in for a moment if, say, the day ends abruptly and the games needs a write-up.

NEWS FLASH! NEOGAF MAFIA INVITED TO MAFIA INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT, WINS HONORS
Over the summer, we received an invitation to send a representative to the Mafia Universe invitational tournament. After much discussion and a vote within the community, we selected Sorian to be our representative. He did all of Gafia proud, making it to the finals of the tournament, and earning fourth place overall out of over a hundred players.
Great job, Sorian!

Oh wow. I missed that. Have a belated congratulations, Sorian!

Ourobolus

Banned
Thanks everyone

Wait I need to register for this other site to play GAF mafia?
We have it for good reason.

Scum needs their own chat, and we can't set permissions on NeoGAF proper, so we do it there. We also don't want to fill up OT with spectator and dead threads (also those need permissions too).

The games themselves will run on NeoGAF, except for maybe a smaller game here or there.

Not

Banned
We have it for good reason.

Scum needs their own chat, and we can't set permissions on NeoGAF proper, so we do it there. We also don't want to fill up OT with spectator and dead threads (also those need permissions too).

The games themselves will run on NeoGAF, except for maybe a smaller game here or there.

'K, is it cool if I don't use the other site at all? Or do I need to have them both open? Sorry I'm so confused. Don't know what "scum" is either, is that like townspeople?

Ourobolus

Banned
'K, is it cool if I don't use the other site at all? Or do I need to have them both open? Sorry I'm so confused. Don't know what "scum" is either, is that like townspeople?
Scum = Mafia/wolves/etc.

You play the day phases on GAF. If you are on the Mafia team or in a Lovers chat for instance, you need to go to Outer GAFia to privately chat with your teammates.

Regardless, you should sign up because if you don't have an account there, OBVIOUSLY you aren't on the Mafia team, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Ourobolus

Banned
If you are Town, then it's most likely you won't be using Outer GAFia during the games, unless:

A. You died and want to join the spectators and chat
B. You got hit with some sort of role/ability that forms private chats (like a Gossip/Neighborizer/Mason/Lover)

EDIT: it's just a separate forum, it won't spam your inbox, and we solely use it for Mafia stuff. We hang out here for the most part :)

Sophia

I see. Again, I hope this all comes to me quickly. I'll make an account there when I'm PMed.

Don't worry. We can walk you through with it if needed. It's really not all that difficult.

You can always reach out to us too if you need help. A good chunk of us can be reached quickly by GAF PMs or Discord.

Natiko

Banned
I would submit some alternatives to Persona, but I just don't feel much interest towards the other games. If it just absolutely isn't working out numbers wise though feel free to reach out to me. I'd at least talk it over and see if I could be fine with a switch.

roytheone

I would submit some alternatives to Persona, but I just don't feel much interest towards the other games. If it just absolutely isn't working out numbers wise though feel free to reach out to me. I'd at least talk it over and see if I could be fine with a switch.

Don't worry, since you are a new player you have the highest priority, so it's very unlikely you get moved to a different game.

yes, brand new people will undoubtedly get their choice

it's more for the oldies that they'd need to put more than one preferences

moldy oldies~

CzarTim

Go ahead and put me on the replacement list. I'm going to have family in town around the start of the season anyway.

Go ahead and put me on the replacement list. I'm going to have family in town around the start of the season anyway.

we still have so many spaces in actuality... (specially if we're running 4 games), likelihood is that everyone will get into a game, tim, it's merely a matter of getting people into the game they prefer, is all

cabot

thanks for playing live mafia.

Sorry for me being moderator.

Thanks to Retro for making things work as smoothly as it could be.

Natiko

Banned
Don't worry, since you are a new player you have the highest priority, so it's very unlikely you get moved to a different game.

yes, brand new people will undoubtedly get their choice

it's more for the oldies that they'd need to put more than one preferences

moldy oldies~
Well I just wanted to offer at least. Out of curiosity how do the cosplay ones work? Do you have to post in character or does that simply mean you are assigned a named character instead of just a role?

cabot

Well I just wanted to offer at least. Out of curiosity how do the cosplay ones work? Do you have to post in character or does that simply mean you are assigned a named character instead of just a role?

You'll have a named role, and it will be within a certain theme. That's pretty much it from there. You can speculate to others claims with regards to the theme of the game and such but be careful with that.

it's certainly lead me down the wrong path.

Natiko

Banned
You'll have a named role, and it will be within a certain theme. That's pretty much it from there. You can speculate to others claims with regards to the theme of the game and such but be careful with that.

it's certainly lead me down the wrong path.
So it's more just a slight twist on a typical game and doesn't have to deeply affect how you play. Good to know. I still would lean towards Persona as what I would prefer to play, but my concern over what the cosplay portion entailed (as well as my ambivalence to pop stars and complete cluelessness about VTM) were the reasons for my hesitation to name alternate games. PlayStation I'm passing on just because I think the medium and above difficulty games sound more interesting.

Zubz

Banned
Speaking of cosplay roles, I have been dying to play the Vampire LARP again for years. No matter what clan I get, I think I have a character in mind.

roytheone

So it's more just a slight twist on a typical game and doesn't have to deeply affect how you play. Good to know. I still would lean towards Persona as what I would prefer to play, but my concern over what the cosplay portion entailed (as well as my ambivalence to pop stars and complete cluelessness about VTM) were the reasons for my hesitation to name alternate games. PlayStation I'm passing on just because I think the medium and above difficulty games sound more interesting.

Exactly. You can replace the named character roles from a cosplay game and replace it with generic names that just describe their powers, and it should play out mostly the same.

Ourobolus

Banned
For instance in the Overwatch game, I was Widowmaker Torbjorn, but my basic ability was cop that I handed out bulletproof vests.

Ty4on

The fluff is in mostly secondary to the game itself. I've played a lot of games knowing almost nothing about the fluff (maybe most games :p) and the biggest disadvantage was making up a plausible fake claim as mafia.

In a cosplay game players with roles (usually ~50% of all players are ordinary town and have no role) will be a character and have an ability which makes somewhat sense to that character. Like someone protective will be doctor, someone investigative/smart will be cop etc. If Mafia roles are clearly the bad guys then they're given the names of characters not used in the game which they can make up a role for and claim.
Some games will have mechanics that fit well with the flavor - Pokemon mafia had Pokemon trainers catching Pokemons, The Price is Right and Gods and Men also had unique mechanics - most games though just have a standard set of roles matched to characters that make sense with some unique roles tailored to fluff.
For instance in the Overwatch game, I was Widowmaker Torbjorn, but my basic ability was cop that I handed out bulletproof vests.
And I was Junkrat and blew up when people attacked me.
roleblocker

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was D.VA and my ability was DORITOS

I could DORITOS a target every night to coat them in orange sodium dust which raises their risk of heart failure and obesity.

squidyj

Scum is everyone who is anti-town.
there's almost always a straight up mafia or werewolves faction and those are certainly scum but there might also be roles in the game that want to kill town but aren't part of this faction, like a solo serial killer or arsonist and those roles are scum as well.

Edit: As another example to the discussion above in Archer I was Lana Kane and I was a cop, I could investigate a target every night to see if they were town or not.

CCS

Banned
Pop looks like fun. I've never been in Popgaf, but I'm from Poligaf which is increasingly the same thing :p

Top Bottom