• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT7| Make friends, then kill them (SIGNUPS OPEN, NEW PLAYERS WELCOME)

Palmer_v1

im glad boo is still here :> boo's flava is best flava <3

i... i also remember my first game, but.... but i dont wanna talk about it ; __ ;

Sup

Edit:

Oh, advice.

Everyone is giving townie advice, but I think newbies need scum advice more than anything.

1. TALK TO YOUR GODDAMN TEAMMATES - Inactivity will wreck a team. Talk about how best to use your night actions. Talk about who which townies you can bandwagon. Talk about your potential role claims. Talk about how horribly balanced the game is. Talk about how much you hate the dead thread. Talk about how Sorian might actually be able to read your posts, and how he should post something BOLD as proof.

2. BE CONSISTENT - I mean this in two ways. The first won't matter yet, but people will meta you if you start acting different when you're scum, so try to be consistent in your posting from game to game. The second way is within a game. Don't just flip flop without having a decent reason for it that you're willing to back up. Don't town read someone and then vote for them later, etc. If you use Excuse A to vote for someone, make sure you apply that to everyone who meets the condition, including teammates.

3. DO NOT BUS YOUR TEAM - In general, you do not want to do anything to get fellow scum lynched. Even if things look dire, avoid the temptation to pile on. Things can often turn unexpectedly, and town is always one post from self-sabotage anyway. In addition, it looks scummy as fuck to just add your vote toward the end since they're getting lynched anyway.

4. BE PROACTIVE - It doesn't look good if you only ever react to what other people are doing, especially if you're only doing it in self-defense. Be logical, and ignore specious accusations while you continue to scum hunt on your own terms. You don't need to react to every accusation.

5. REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE MORE INFORMATION - If something goes unexpectedly, be careful how you react to it. Particularly insightful or complicated explanations can be suspicious. Especially if it ignores occam's razor. You're either a fucking idiot, or you have extra knowledge granted by a role.

Ourobolus

Banned
3. DO NOT BUS YOUR TEAM - In general, you do not want to do anything to get fellow scum lynched. Even if things look dire, avoid the temptation to pile on. Things can often turn unexpectedly, and town is always one post from self-sabotage anyway. In addition, it looks scummy as fuck to just add your vote toward the end since they're getting lynched anyway.

And if you are gonna bus, don't vote towards the end. You want a good reason (town-like reason) to vote that person out and it needs to look like it happened organically.

Zubz

Banned
Squidy, or Darryl, (just to pull three totally random names out of nowhere) are coming after you hard, just take a deep breath, walk away from the computer if you need to, and then come back and react calmly.

*Sigh* Good 'Ol Archer game.

... *Slowly starts crying Crocodile Tears* We were both reptiles, dammit!

Sophia

2. BE CONSISTENT - I mean this in two ways. The first won't matter yet, but people will meta you if you start acting different when you're scum, so try to be consistent in your posting from game to game. The second way is within a game. Don't just flip flop without having a decent reason for it that you're willing to back up. Don't town read someone and then vote for them later, etc. If you use Excuse A to vote for someone, make sure you apply that to everyone who meets the condition, including teammates.

These two kind of go hand in hand too. A lot of bus attempts fail because the vote is piled on at the end, instead of appearing to be suspicious from the start. Or someone acts against standard meta, and it gets pointed out early on. I hear the phrase "It looks like a natural progression from one to the other" a lot from town who can't tell the difference between what is a genuine reaction and what is throwing shade/bus attempt on a teammate.

If someone is acting odd/weird, ask yourself if that actually means that they're scum, is being scum a reason for them to be acting the way they are, or is it just as plausible for them to be town? Feels like there's quite a few mislynches that could easily be avoided this way.

And I guess for scum, try to keep interactions with teammates natural in the main thread. Along with not bussing them, don't ignore them altogether, or just constantly put them as null reads.

Zubz

Banned
If someone is acting odd/weird, ask yourself if that actually means that they're scum, is being scum a reason for them to be acting the way they are, or is it just as plausible for them to be town? Feels like there's quite a few mislynches that could easily be avoided this way.

And I guess for scum, try to keep interactions with teammates natural in the main thread. Along with not bussing them, don't ignore them altogether, or just constantly put them as null reads.

Yeah. It may be good to discuss the weirdness; someone else may know about a role you've never heard of, and may have reason to believe it's in play.

squidyj

I don't understand why you'd use my name as an example of an aggressive player, that's just weird.
also the part where he says don't panic? please panic, please.

Edit:
Zubz
The best part of scumhunting is accidentally outing town PR. =D

Ok, the advice is starting to veer into personal playstyle advice
p
Real advice: Fly by the seat of your pants, and freely tell everyone else they're idiots, because they are.

It's can be easier/more useful to identify who is town/not scum than who is scum. And if someone asks for your reads, don't worry about necessarily giving justifications; if you look at a username and have no real reason to suspect their scum, but you think they might be, than just give them as a light scum read.

The most exhilarating part of a game is either getting nearly lynched or lynched. It's addicting

Hmm, you know what, I'll play:

Pronoun: He
Preferred Games: Persona, Vampire, Playstation
Timezone: CST

Verelios

....the hurts are here :<

of course you can!

in fact, if you all can put more than 1 preferences that'd be great. there's been a few people that has only put one game preference (mostly PERSONA) and i think that boat is full

there will be some people who only puts one game preference that wont get that game now (mostly PERSONA)
What

WHAT

WHAT DEVILISHNESS IS THIS!?

uahjyz1zxcq1oyciwx46.jpg

Timeaisis

Alright, you chuckleheads.

Pronoun: He/Him
Preferred game(s): Vampire, Playstation
Time-zone: CST

My advice is to not play like me.

Sorian

Banned
And if you are gonna bus, don't vote towards the end. You want a good reason (town-like reason) to vote that person out and it needs to look like it happened organically.

Don't listen to Palmer, he just doesn't know how to bus correctly. Ouro has it closer to being right.

Camjo-Z

&#10034; &#10036; &#10037; &#10038; &#10039; Camjo's Top 3 Hot Tips For Hunky Players! &#10034; &#10036; &#10037; &#10038; &#10039;

Tip #1: Instantly vote anyone who tries to pull the "guys, you should participate on Day 1!" scam. They're just trying to get you to talk more so they can vote you later and use your Day 1 fluff posts as evidence!

Tip #2: Need a way to look like you're being active without actually doing anything of worth? Why not post a reads list?

Tip #3: If you see the opportunity for a gambit, take it. When has an overly convoluted and complicated plan ever gone awry?

Hobohodo

Pronoun: He/Him
Preferred game(s): I'm easy
Time-zone: GMT

I'm on holiday next week, is that going to be a problem for starting? If so il go down as a replacement.

RetroMG

Sorry for the double post, but:

If you signed up for only one game, (and especially if that game is Persona,) and would like to add backup options, please PM me.

Not

Banned
I'll signup. Is this like regular campfire/party mafia? Also known in some circles as Werewolf?

&#10034; &#10036; &#10037; &#10038; &#10039; Camjo's Top 3 Hot Tips For Hunky Players! &#10034; &#10036; &#10037; &#10038; &#10039;

Tip #1: Instantly vote anyone who tries to pull the "guys, you should participate on Day 1!" scam. They're just trying to get you to talk more so they can vote you later and use your Day 1 fluff posts as evidence!

Tip #2: Need a way to look like you're being active without actually doing anything of worth? Why not post a reads list?

Tip #3: If you see the opportunity for a gambit, take it. When has an overly convoluted and complicated plan ever gone awry?

This is good advice.

CORRECTION In accordance with personal intent to allude to the situation of overt aid with as best a metaphor one may muster, it is recommended that you perceive the bespectacled individual in the graphic figuratively overhead not as the recently levied, but instead as the seasoned proponent(s) superlatively proffering superfluous pointers in hindsight; concurrently, assume the confounded capped commoner as singularly portraying said pressed, and thus with such a mental shift of mantles you may subsequently possess an amended appreciation of this analogous attempt at Role reversal. As for the aspirin-appellating apothecary, to him you may attribute an allegory as you will.

Not

Banned
OK, yeah, I'll sign up. Is it too late? How often should I check this thread?

EDIT: I guessssss I'll read the OP... (flaps lips)

Not

Banned
Not
Pronoun: He
Preferred game(s): I don't know anything about Playstation, Persona, or Vampires. It's Pop by default.
Difficulty: Hardest (is it really called Blargonaut?)
Time-zone: PST

Palmer_v1

Don't listen to Palmer, he just doesn't know how to bus correctly. Ouro has it closer to being right.

I basically said that. It also falls under consistency. Don't bandwagon someone if you haven't made a case for them previously. That shit is suspicious.

Edit:

MOST IMPORTANTLY, every bit of advice we've posted can be openly broken because people will just assume no scum is stupid enough to do X, and we refuse to policy lynch.

OK, yeah, I'll sign up. Is it too late? How often should I check this thread?

EDIT: I guessssss I'll read the OP... (flaps lips)

It's never too late

sign-up and you'll be PM'd once/if a game starts with you in it (you'll be sorted based on your selection(s) and player slot availability)

The PM will include your given Role and Faction you'll be playing as

The game thread will be in Off-Topic Community side

You can check in here from time to time for PRE-GAME LOBBY banter and/or shit-talking

Tell your friends to buy Diablo [Mafia] (COMING SOON?)

Bronx-Man

Banned

c'mon dude, you can't just go out leaking my strategies like this

I need to drop out of everything, I have now developed a commitment that will mean I would have to leave halfway through a game

roytheone

Hii

Won't be quite the same as sitting around a campfire at 1 AM, losing track of my beer count while trying to outwit eight other friends who were all much smarter than me

But let's do this

I am sure you will do fine and have a ton of fun!......

..... Not!

Sorry, somebody had to make the joke.

Sophia

The Blargonaut rating is mostly a joke, so I wouldn't worry about it. We've played exactly one Blargonaut-level game - It was called Volcano Island.

I would like to submit my Blargonaut level Sword Art Online mafia game for Season 8, Retro. ;p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you die in the game, you get banned from GAF???

Top Bottom