• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Why not use the app? If you use the build in app, the screensaver kicks in really really fast. I often have the TV idling with the YouTube app open and it's never a problem.
I never in my life, not even once, used any of the smart features / apps on my LG OLED. My PC is connected to it and all I ever need I can access on Windows. I find it faster and more convenient than messing with the remote and switching apps.

I listen a lot of stuff on YouTube and I can just switch off my TV completely and let the sound go from external speakers.

FlyyGOD

Best Buy has the lg cx 55 " on sale for 1599.99. Ill get the best buy warranty just incase of burn in. All the reviews say that this is pretty much the best TV for gaming and picture quality.

DoomGyver

Best Buy has the lg cx 55 " on sale for 1599.99. Ill get the best buy warranty just incase of burn in. All the reviews say that this is pretty much the best TV for gaming and picture quality.
You cannot go wrong with the 55CX. I feel like I’m experiencing my games and movies all over again. Coming from an old 1080p mid tier bravia.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there anything that the 55CX does worse than the C9?

VRR, HRD, HMDI 2.1 etc?

My local store didnt have C9 anymore :(
The CX is limited to 40Gbps, which means that 12-bit RGB 4K/120Hz is out.

It's not a huge deal since the panel is 10-bit color. Still it would be nice to compare.

TheKratos

I bought the CX55 for 1299 euros, it was a crazy good deal for the best OLED on the market. The 65 inch was 2079 euros but I don't have space for 65 inch sadly.

• Strength
Reactions: MrS

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
So guys I just got my 55" CX yesterday. Any big settings I should change? I know my last LG I changed a lot of stuff to optimize it for gaming.

• Strength
Reactions: MrS
Help required...

I just got my CX (55). Fantastic set but also bought some LED white backlighting.

I plugged into USB1 and it flashes on / off constantly and the same in other USB ports?

any ideas?

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Help required...

I just got my CX (55). Fantastic set but also bought some LED white backlighting.

I plugged into USB1 and it flashes on / off constantly and the same in other USB ports?

any ideas?

The port might not be outputting enough power. Plug the LED lighting into a traditional outlet, see how it works. Then plug in another device to the USB port to see if it gets power. If it can't powere a roku it may not be powerful enough for your lighting.

The port might not be outputting enough power. Plug the LED lighting into a traditional outlet, see how it works. Then plug in another device to the USB port to see if it gets power. If it can't powere a roku it may not be powerful enough for your lighting.

Okay amazing this 100% worked although I think it will stay on after I power the TV off- still it’s ok I can unplug manually 🤘🏻

Celcius

°Temp. member
How is an OLED for something like watching 24fps anime with slow panning shots? Any issues with stutter/judder?

Last edited:
How is an OLED for something like watching 24fps anime with slow panning shots? Any issues with stutter/judder?
lol good luck with that.

the stutter/judder is the worst thing about oled imo. i've had my TV (lg cx) a good few months now and the stuttering still annoys me a bit. i've tried all different settings and it helps a bit but it's still there. you can crank up the motion settings to interpolate framerate but that also comes with its own problems (artifacting).

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitecrow

Banned
Anyone knows if HDMI 2.1 makes the C9 display 4K 4:4:4 Full RGB properly (aka no banding)?

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Went against the tide and bought Panasonic OLED. I'm impressed how smooth are near-black transitions compared to LG or Sony. When watching in a pitch black room, in some cases it's a night and day difference, even with full quality UHD Blu-rays. Don't let other people tell you that LG's near-black handling has finally caught up on competition and that it only matters with compressed materials. It's still very mediocre.

Ignore the darker blob on the left side on Panasonic, it was a uniformity problem very common on all 65" 2020 OLEDs.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

I've been playing Monster Hunter World on Series X way too much lately. Im afraid I'm going to get burn in if I keep constantly playing this game. Its just so addictive that I can't bring myself to play anything else.

FunkMiller

Doesn't mean much, we'd need to know average hours/day playtime, brightness settings, which games and for how long.

I’m far too cool for any of dat

Dog Driving GIF

Celcius

°Temp. member
lol good luck with that.

the stutter/judder is the worst thing about oled imo. i've had my TV (lg cx) a good few months now and the stuttering still annoys me a bit. i've tried all different settings and it helps a bit but it's still there. you can crank up the motion settings to interpolate framerate but that also comes with its own problems (artifacting).
Is there something about the oled tvs that makes them different than oled phones? For example, I just watched an entire season of anime on my iPhone 12 Pro and didn’t notice any stuttering at all...

Ulysses 31

Is there something about the oled tvs that makes them different than oled phones? For example, I just watched an entire season of anime on my iPhone 12 Pro and didn’t notice any stuttering at all...
I'm guessing it becomes more noticeable the bigger the screen gets. 👀

lol good luck with that.

That's because you bought lg and not sony! No artifacts on my a8h, a8g or x900e interpolation. Well actually there is a smidge of artifacting on 2017 x900e (if i go looking for it), but I mostly notice it in animation not movies. Then again it's lcd so turning it off is much less of a deal vs. oled. Aaanywho I leave it on for all sets as it does wonders.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
Anyone get theirs calibrated?
I did my own calibration with an X-rite Pro and the Calman LG software and it was pretty easy to do for around $300 total. It may not be a professional calibration but it's much better than doing it by your eyes. There are some good tutorial videos by the Calman guys, it's basically plug and play.

Is anyone else having this insane issue where your LG OLED is having compatibility issues with your Xbox Series X? It auto detects to a 640x480 resolution, with that being the only option. Then if I try to manually set it to HDMI, I can only set it to 1440p. Trying to enable 4k gives me a “Your TV is telling us it doesn’t support 4k” message. So I’m just sitting here frustrated every time I try to turn the console on and figure out a solution and fail.

Both console and TV are on the latest update. Now I really wish I could buy a PS5 for my 4K UHDs!

Ulysses 31

Is anyone else having this insane issue where your LG OLED is having compatibility issues with your Xbox Series X? It auto detects to a 640x480 resolution, with that being the only option. Then if I try to manually set it to HDMI, I can only set it to 1440p. Trying to enable 4k gives me a “Your TV is telling us it doesn’t support 4k” message. So I’m just sitting here frustrated every time I try to turn the console on and figure out a solution and fail.

Both console and TV are on the latest update. Now I really wish I could buy a PS5 for my 4K UHDs!
Only issue I had was when not using a certified HDMI 2.1 cable coz the Xbox cable wasn't long enough.

Pimpbaa

I don’t get the stuttering complaint with OLED. Maybe people like the extra blur of lcd panels since it hides the choppiness of 30fps games with poor/no motion blur.

Godfavor

Oled stutters a lot with 24 fps movies, because of the instant response time of the oled pixels (not so much in games). I always turn on the trumotion to "cinema" setting that smooths it out a bit without becoming unnatural like the "soap opera" effect.

Last edited:

Godfavor

What for?

The PC mode enables 4:4:4 chroma sampling that makes all the pixels use the RGB color space individually. It makes the image better for PC use (like word, excel), games benefit little from it because there is little text that can be "distorted". If you have game mode the croma sampling goes to 4:2:2 which copies the neighborhood color, this is like having checkerboard rendering for one of the three colors.

I personally haven't noticed any image degredation in games (maybe there is a difference in RPG or diablo style games which have small text).
I choose game mode because you lose the setting "maximum brightness" in PC mode. It amps the brightness in non HDR games.

Last edited:
That's because you bought lg and not sony! No artifacts on my a8h, a8g or x900e interpolation. Well actually there is a smidge of artifacting on 2017 x900e (if i go looking for it), but I mostly notice it in animation not movies. Then again it's lcd so turning it off is much less of a deal vs. oled. Aaanywho I leave it on for all sets as it does wonders.
nah i'm quite happy with my LG. with the settings on my tv there are no artifacts. if i were to turn them up higher then yeah but going any higher also makes it look too weird. going any lower increases stuttering.

nice job trying to punt Sony tho. :messenger_clapping:

Top Bottom