• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Oled stutters a lot with 24 fps movies, because of the instant response time of the oled pixels (not so much in games). I always turn on the trumotion to "cinema" setting that smooths it out a bit without becoming unnatural like the "soap opera" effect.

Oled is absolutely fine with this - I've never seen it play 24fps media not at 24hz. You should have Truemotion off. That shit is the only issue here.

Whitecrow

Banned
The PC mode enables 4:4:4 chroma sampling that makes all the pixels use the RGB color space individually. It makes the image better for PC use (like word, excel), games benefit little from it because there is little text that can be "distorted". If you have game mode the croma sampling goes to 4:2:2 which copies the neighborhood color, this is like having checkerboard rendering for one of the three colors.

I personally haven't noticed any image degredation in games (maybe there is a difference in RPG or diablo style games which have small text).
I choose game mode because you lose the setting "maximum brightness" in PC mode. It amps the brightness in non HDR games.
Games also gets some extra sharpness and accuracy due to color information not being skipped. It's not just text.

Godfavor

Oled is absolutely fine with this - I've never seen it play 24fps media not at 24hz. You should have Truemotion off. That shit is the only issue here.

There are some scenes in movies with high contrast that make the phenomenon of "stuttering" quite tiresome to watch without trumotion. I agree that trumotion adds fake information, but the first setting is not that bad "cinema".

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Is there something about the oled tvs that makes them different than oled phones? For example, I just watched an entire season of anime on my iPhone 12 Pro and didn’t notice any stuttering at all...
Size.

And since I got a OLED TV, I started noticing it on my phone as well :messenger_grinning_sweat:

TheBoss1

I'm not saying that burn in doesn't exist anymore but I will say that you have to be super careless to get burn in on the newer models. I have a 2018 LG E8 and I don't feel like I have to baby it much. The only thing I try to avoid is pausing my dishtv/game for hours since those don't get the screensaver feature that's built for the TV apps themselves. Also, unnecessarily high brightness might be the main culprit to burn in. I have my brightness set to 20 and it only ever goes above that for HDR content. Either way, there were a few times I actually fell asleep with content paused and I still didn't suffer from any burn in.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
You don't need HDMI 2.1 for that, just a correctly configured TV with Ultra HD enabled on the inputs.
I think we are not talking about the same thing.

Bandind in PC mode is a well known issue, it has nothing to do with calibration.
But I wonder if with the HDMI 2.1 pipeline it improves somehow.

SkylineRKR

I am eyeing a 55CX as they're relatively cheap now and seem to have the full feature set. I'm not afraid of burn in. Its probably when you leave it on repeated news feeds for hours which I never do anyway. I don't even like to pause or still images on my KS9000 LED for too long so i'll be fine.

That isn't true, but the fault isn't OLED and not everyone perceives this motion stutter because their brains have become accustomed to bad motion.

LCD and OLED rely on a technology called sample and hold for motion handling, this tech does not work well with low 24/30 FPS content which in its native form is a stuttering experience, older displays technologies like CRT and plasma did not use sample and hold so didn't have to deal with this issue.

As LCD's began to replace CRT/plasma motion handling of low FPS content was generally not an issue due to the slow response time of LCD's combined with various motion processing techniques by the system on chip built into the display (not things like trumotion that is an extra layer of video processing on top).

However OLED and modern LCD displays now have very fast response times which expose the native stutter of low FPS content, some video processors built into TV's are better than others (Sony's for example) but the problem wont go away until content stops being made at low FPS, sample and hold works better the faster it is for improving motion clarity and smoothness. Thats why high FPS gaming is so popular once you get used to it your brain/eyes adapt and anything below 60fps is unpleasant to use.

It depends on the induvial and how sensitive they are to motion stutter, I can see it now much more often (in the past I was oblivious) , anything with panning shots in 24fps video or camera pans in 30fps games, I've resorted to using tumotion on low levels to counter it for video as LG's real cinema at 24Hz was simply not good enough.

You can see rtings ratings for stutter with more info.

Bandind in PC mode is a well known issue, it has nothing to do with calibration.

Banding reduction in PC mode on the X series is better than past modes, it also helps that 10-bit RGB 444 is possible over HDMI 2.1, on HDMI 2.0 only 8-bit RGB 444 is possible, the higher bit depth helps reduce banding in PC mode.

The big fault with all TV's really is lack of a proper PC mode preset were you can toggle all the options to your hearts content, there are other features you can use to counter banding but LG disable these in PC mode instead of letting the user select the feature with the risk of higher input lag.

Ulysses 31

I have a CX and at bright 100 it's less brighter than any previous LED TVs I had, so 20 is like having the TV turned off for me : /
Indeed, some with filmmaker mode that's 25 light also, how can HDR shine with that? :goog_unsure:

Last edited:
I will be getting my 65 inch Sony A90J on Thursday. I am super excited. I’m coming from a 2011 37 inch Panasonic L37DT30, which was a great gaming tv back then. However, it’s edge lit LCD and an IPS panel. I look forward to the upgrade.

That isn't true, but the fault isn't OLED and not everyone perceives this motion stutter because their brains have become accustomed to bad motion.

LCD and OLED rely on a technology called sample and hold for motion handling, this tech does not work well with low 24/30 FPS content which in its native form is a stuttering experience, older displays technologies like CRT and plasma did not use sample and hold so didn't have to deal with this issue.

As LCD's began to replace CRT/plasma motion handling of low FPS content was generally not an issue due to the slow response time of LCD's combined with various motion processing techniques by the system on chip built into the display (not things like trumotion that is an extra layer of video processing on top).

However OLED and modern LCD displays now have very fast response times which expose the native stutter of low FPS content, some video processors built into TV's are better than others (Sony's for example) but the problem wont go away until content stops being made at low FPS, sample and hold works better the faster it is for improving motion clarity and smoothness. Thats why high FPS gaming is so popular once you get used to it your brain/eyes adapt and anything below 60fps is unpleasant to use.

It depends on the induvial and how sensitive they are to motion stutter, I can see it now much more often (in the past I was oblivious) , anything with panning shots in 24fps video or camera pans in 30fps games, I've resorted to using tumotion on low levels to counter it for video as LG's real cinema at 24Hz was simply not good enough.

You can see rtings ratings for stutter with more info.

Interesting - I'd consider myself fairly sensitive to this stuff and with the filmaker mode on my LGCX I have no issue with 24fps movies. Also - content better not stop being low FPS. 48fps movies are GROSS (see the hobbit).

mitchman

Gold Member

Ok, never used PC mode, I just use Game mode and experience none of that.

Pejo

Well as my birthday present this year, my gf is getting me a 65CX, it'll be here tomorrow morning. I can finally join this thread proper.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the posts in here, I've learned quite a bit watching you all discuss settings. I'm really excited to see the difference that HDR and OLED in general brings to gaming.

Quick question to LG owners: How do you disable the ad tracking/privacy invasion bullshit? I finally got that stuff disabled on my current Samsung last year, and it really pisses me off that they do it in general.

I buy a new TV every 10 years or so. Currently using a B6 LG OLED. Really want to upgrade to 120fps, but I need a new AVR for my home theater and I really hate that I have to spend so much money for tech that is currently very hit or miss.

Anyway, love OLED. Going to get one more before Micro LED is ready, I'd imagine.

Last edited:

devilNprada

In my opinion; My Oled (Sony A9) is too dark in video games when it's daylight real time, and dark in game.
I have to really adjust settings just to be able to see anything...

TheBoss1

I have a CX and at bright 100 it's less brighter than any previous LED TVs I had, so 20 is like having the TV turned off for me : /
Unless your TV is in a bright room with many windows, you don't need brightness that high on TVs that aren't like a $100. Especially at night you definitely don't need it that high. SDR content is usually calibrated for a 100 nits.

I have a Sony X900E which is brighter than my OLED, and I have the backlight setting at 4 .Many people, including me, had a hard time adjusting to a natural picture after training their eyes for decades to watch bright, saturated TVs. Give it a week after you calibrate (non-professional) your TV. If it still bothers you then go back to whatever settings you feel comfortable with.

TheBoss1

I will be getting my 65 inch Sony A90J on Thursday. I am super excited. I’m coming from a 2011 37 inch Panasonic L37DT30, which was a great gaming tv back then. However, it’s edge lit LCD and an IPS panel. I look forward to the upgrade.
At this point anything modern will be an upgrade over that. You are in for a MAJOR treat, especially since it's a 1,300 nit OLED!

Pejo

I gotta say, I'm not a big Harry Potter fan but I'm excited to practice my spellcasting to control this TV

aksFajx.png

FrankWza

Brightness or Oled light? Because brightness at 100 and your blacks are Almost light grey

Last edited:
Interesting - I'd consider myself fairly sensitive to this stuff and with the filmaker mode on my LGCX I have no issue with 24fps movies. Also - content better not stop being low FPS. 48fps movies are GROSS (see the hobbit).

For me, I’ve found stutter for anime to be horrid on modern TVs. I’d honestly rather watch a lot of it on a crt. I’ve never checked it out on an OLED before, just various LCDs. My biggest complaint about modern TVs is motion handling. That’s why I’ve waited 10 years to upgrade. I’ve had a hard time justifying spending the money on one when I’m so disappointed by the motion handling. I know that tv manufacturers have focused on other aspects of TVs, but I truly wish motion were better addressed as that’s what I’m most sensitive to.

TheBoss1

For me, I’ve found stutter for anime to be horrid on modern TVs. I’d honestly rather watch a lot of it on a crt. I’ve never checked it out on an OLED before, just various LCDs. My biggest complaint about modern TVs is motion handling. That’s why I’ve waited 10 years to upgrade. I’ve had a hard time justifying spending the money on one when I’m so disappointed by the motion handling. I know that tv manufacturers have focused on other aspects of TVs, but I truly wish motion were better addressed as that’s what I’m most sensitive to.
Well plan to be disappointed. LCD and OLED aren't touching CRT and plasma tech when it comes to motion. Only way to close the gap is with motion interpolation, which introduces artifacts. At least you're getting the company with the best motion tech in Sony.

base

Banned
The PC mode enables 4:4:4 chroma sampling that makes all the pixels use the RGB color space individually. It makes the image better for PC use (like word, excel), games benefit little from it because there is little text that can be "distorted". If you have game mode the croma sampling goes to 4:2:2 which copies the neighborhood color, this is like having checkerboard rendering for one of the three colors.

I personally haven't noticed any image degredation in games (maybe there is a difference in RPG or diablo style games which have small text).
I choose game mode because you lose the setting "maximum brightness" in PC mode. It amps the brightness in non HDR games.
That I know but it's useless for console gaming IMO.

Whitecrow

Banned
Banding reduction in PC mode on the X series is better than past modes, it also helps that 10-bit RGB 444 is possible over HDMI 2.1, on HDMI 2.0 only 8-bit RGB 444 is possible, the higher bit depth helps reduce banding in PC mode.

The big fault with all TV's really is lack of a proper PC mode preset were you can toggle all the options to your hearts content, there are other features you can use to counter banding but LG disable these in PC mode instead of letting the user select the feature with the risk of higher input lag.
Still, I struggle to understand why most PC monitors can show a 0-255 grey gradient with no banding at 8-bit color, and a 1300$+ TV cant...

Maybe 4K at 444 is too much to process : (

Well plan to be disappointed. LCD and OLED aren't touching CRT and plasma tech when it comes to motion. Only way to close the gap is with motion interpolation, which introduces artifacts. At least you're getting the company with the best motion tech in Sony.

I know. 😞

I just couldn’t hold out any longer. There are so many PS4 and PS5 games that I’ve delayed playing because I wanted the 4K HDR experience. Plus, I’ve been buying all my movies in UHD format for years, waiting for the day to finally use those discs. I would basically wait forever to finally use these things so I figure motion will be much improved from my Panny and Sony is best in motion.

Hunnybun

I've had my CX65 for a few weeks now. I'm really impressed, especially with the scale of the upgrade from my XE900 55" - I was mainly just buying the OLED for the size tbh, and I just went with the OLED cos I thought I might as well have the best for the sake of a few hundred £.

It's a MUCH better picture, and I think the black blacks really do help the image a lot. Much more than I was expecting.

A few things to report:

1. I've had Trumotion on 'natural' for the last couple of weeks. I have to admit to quite liking the effect, and not noticing artefacts. I keep trying to switch back and forth to see what the difference is and the only one is the it looks way smoother and, basically, makes films etc look like high FPS games. It's a bit of a weird effect at first, but like I say, I've tried experimenting with it off and on and I simply can't come up with a reason not to use it. I can only really go by my own eyes.

2. The REASON that Trumotion has been on is that (I think) I accidentally selected 'Standard' on the global picture setting option and was suddenly presented with this picture that I found MUCH more attractive than the one I'd achieved following accepted calibration guidelines. Trumotion was set to natural as part of this preset. I realise this is probably a crude 'vivid' list of settings or whatever, but I don't really know what to say to that. I much prefer them. I'd tried using the "approved" ones for a week or two and was never really happy with them, so was constantly messing about and fiddling with them. I had exactly the same experience with the approved settings on the X900E: following the conventional wisdom slavishly and always being slightly disappointed with the result. It's not like I haven't tried to be good lol. I've tried for years to get used to recommended settings and just never really been happy with them.

So I'm left with a bit of a dilemma: do I just accept the standard preset (I've made a couple of minor adjustments but it's more or less the same) and be happy in my ignorance, or should I return to the elusive search for settings that I both like and are acceptable to AV experts?

I'm hoping to buy an OLED this year; either the LG G1 or the C1. I would like the VRR issues to be resolved, even though ps5 doesn't even use that. I'm using an old samsung led from the mid 2000s. The ghosting on it is getting bad.

No artifacts on the lowest setting of interpolation which is what I use on A8h. There’s none on the middle setting either but it’s too much soap effect for me.

Motion is incredible on Sony oled with interpolation plus bfi, it’s better than the best plasma for movies. For animation, you kind of need the middle setting to make look perfectly smooth and for me it’s too much soap. So maybe plasma is better for animation, I’d have to test that.

For games where interpolation can’t be used, plasma wins. Actually, I haven’t heard if the a80/90 don’t do game interpolation or not. When Sony finally does it will be pretty exciting.

Last edited:

Pejo

Alright gents, my 65CX is hooked up to my PS5 and PC and Nintendo Switch and I skipped the online features/setup for now. The blacks are unreal. Haven't seen something like this since my old Panasonic plasma, and it might be even better.

This is going to sound like an amateur hour question, but how do I enable 120hz? This is my first time with a display capable of that refresh rate. When I went into Nvidia control panel for this TV as a display, I only had options between 23 and 60hz. I made sure I used an HDMI 2.1 compliant cable and used one of the 120hz enabled HDMI ports. Is there something I'm missing?

AGRacing

Alright gents, my 65CX is hooked up to my PS5 and PC and Nintendo Switch and I skipped the online features/setup for now. The blacks are unreal. Haven't seen something like this since my old Panasonic plasma, and it might be even better.

This is going to sound like an amateur hour question, but how do I enable 120hz? This is my first time with a display capable of that refresh rate. When I went into Nvidia control panel for this TV as a display, I only had options between 23 and 60hz. I made sure I used an HDMI 2.1 compliant cable and used one of the 120hz enabled HDMI ports. Is there something I'm missing?
I think you need to enable "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" on the ports.

DapperSloth

I'm not saying that burn in doesn't exist anymore but I will say that you have to be super careless to get burn in on the newer models. I have a 2018 LG E8 and I don't feel like I have to baby it much. The only thing I try to avoid is pausing my dishtv/game for hours since those don't get the screensaver feature that's built for the TV apps themselves. Also, unnecessarily high brightness might be the main culprit to burn in. I have my brightness set to 20 and it only ever goes above that for HDR content. Either way, there were a few times I actually fell asleep with content paused and I still didn't suffer from any burn in.

Holy shit lol, 20? I have mine on 80 for SDR (C9), 100 for HDR. I am in a pitch black room and I can't see shit in games or films when going for like 40 or below. So dim it is not even funny. And this is with settings from HDTVtest.

Top Bottom