• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

DapperSloth

Alright gents, my 65CX is hooked up to my PS5 and PC and Nintendo Switch and I skipped the online features/setup for now. The blacks are unreal. Haven't seen something like this since my old Panasonic plasma, and it might be even better.

This is going to sound like an amateur hour question, but how do I enable 120hz? This is my first time with a display capable of that refresh rate. When I went into Nvidia control panel for this TV as a display, I only had options between 23 and 60hz. I made sure I used an HDMI 2.1 compliant cable and used one of the 120hz enabled HDMI ports. Is there something I'm missing?

Check here:

Guide: How to set up PlayStation 5 for 4K, 120Hz, HDMI 2.1 & HDR

"PS5 will switch to 4K 120Hz only when a game offers a 120Hz mode - and switch back to 60Hz again when you close the game"

Pejo

Whatever source the signal is coming from has to be 120hz as well. It will only display what is being received.
Yea this ended up being the problem for PS5, and I found the PC setting for 120 was actually a few menus down in the Nvidia Control Panel. The general refresh rate should be set to 60hz, but then on a per game basis you can set it to go up to 120hz.

Up next I need to read up on G-Sync and how to properly utilize it. This TV has all the damn features, I swear. Super happy with it so far.
Did you update the TV firmware?
Yep, ran it after the initial setup last night.

Also found a pretty good guide to blocking Smart TV snooping. I'll absolutely be setting this up this weekend. It pisses me off to no end that not only do we have to put up with ads in the TV operating system, but that they're also tracking my viewing habits and you're unable to fully "opt out". Here's the guide: https://www.pcwrt.com/2018/08/how-to-use-your-router-to-block-smart-tv-snooping/

Check here:

Guide: How to set up PlayStation 5 for 4K, 120Hz, HDMI 2.1 & HDR

"PS5 will switch to 4K 120Hz only when a game offers a 120Hz mode - and switch back to 60Hz again when you close the game"
Thanks, this was helpful!

Last edited:
I will be receiving the Sony A90J Master Series 65' on Saturday. Looking forward to going down the rabbit hole of the TV/PS5 and finding the best settings. My current TV is a 10 year old Sony that's only 1080p so I am pretty sure I will shit and stain my couch when I plug it in.

Jigga117

Whatever source the signal is coming from has to be 120hz as well. It will only display what is being received.
This isn't the case for a PC or the Xbox for that matter. You should be able to select 120hz with a GPU like the 30 series and select 4k@120 as an option with 444 on top of that. The Xbox allows you to select 4k@120 as well. So when you launch a game thats when it will give you the option in the settings on PC or performance vs quality on consoles with a few games that actually allows you to select 120 like Ori.

Just finished setting up my 55in CX. I haven’t been this impressed with picture quality since I purchased a G20 plasma like 12 years ago.

tenor.gif

I really want to know if the A80J uses the evo panel or not. If it doesn’t, it might make sense to get g1 over A80J, esp. if you’re going to calibrate the g1.

If A80J has the evo panel, LG is kinda left for dust this year.

Yeah he rubbed me the wrong way last year with the misinformation on HDMI 2.1 and still wouldn’t own up to it
Sometimes I watch him but only because of his connections to value electronics or other guests.

The interview with Robert and his calibrator with the A90J was great

Last edited:

TheBoss1

Holy shit lol, 20? I have mine on 80 for SDR (C9), 100 for HDR. I am in a pitch black room and I can't see shit in games or films when going for like 40 or below. So dim it is not even funny. And this is with settings from HDTVtest.
I'm in a pitch black room too lol.

I believe the E8 is LG's brightest OLEDs (929 nits on a 2% window) according to RTINGS. Maybe that's why other OLEDs seem dim when dropping that low.

I bought a CX a few months ago to prepare for next-gen consoles. It's great, although it seems to not like 30 fps games that much. My previous Samsung QLED 2019 was much better at 30 fps.
Apart from that, the ABL isn't too great when playing games with lots of bright portions on screen. However, it's the best thing ever when playing games that are mostly dark and feature some bright spots.

Luipadre

Errr everything at 30fps sucks.

OLEDs shit on everything though. You won't get anything with better HDR or PQ because of that insane contrast. With perfect blacks you get real depth.

Pretty much this. I watched the new justice league today in 4K HDR on a C9 and boy oh boy was it gorgeous

I bought a CX a few months ago to prepare for next-gen consoles. It's great, although it seems to not like 30 fps games that much. My previous Samsung QLED 2019 was much better at 30 fps.
Apart from that, the ABL isn't too great when playing games with lots of bright portions on screen. However, it's the best thing ever when playing games that are mostly dark and feature some bright spots.
When playing 30fps games, make sure motion blur is enabled if it has an option

DeaDPo0L84

I almost bought a 65" lg cx yesterday but feel it'll get even cheaper when the new ones come out...but then they may be sold out...hmm

so does Sony have VRR on launch or is it still a wait for firmware situation?
Ticks me off Sony keeps dragging their feet with the VRR update for PS5. Supposedly a March update was happening, but not likely at this point.

Also, I personally don’t like punishing my eyes with a ridiculously bright display. One of the reasons why I like OLED, but more nits isn’t a feature I will upgraded for.

TheBoss1

Ticks me off Sony keeps dragging their feet with the VRR update for PS5. Supposedly a March update was happening, but not likely at this point.

Also, I personally don’t like punishing my eyes with a ridiculously bright display. One of the reasons why I like OLED, but more nits isn’t a feature I will upgraded for.
Just because you're getting a brighter display, it doesn't mean you should have your TV's brightness level high. The extra brightness matters mainly for specular highlight details and people with windows for walls.

This is why I hope Dolby Vision will become the main HDR format but as long as they charge TV manufacturers those fees, it will be a long journey.

MadPanda

Banned
Holy shit lol, 20? I have mine on 80 for SDR (C9), 100 for HDR. I am in a pitch black room and I can't see shit in games or films when going for like 40 or below. So dim it is not even funny. And this is with settings from HDTVtest.

I have mine at 30 for SDR and I don't find it dim at all. Hdr is at 100.

Looks like LG is getting left in the dust this year. About time Sony woke up.

Matters not. The sony has a custom heatsink to push the panel brighter than lg. Not to mention already superior motion and processing.
Sony doesn't have a big advantage, as it's max 100 nits brighter on 10% window calibrated. Those crazy 1300 nits numbers were in Vivid mode which noone should ever use.

Top Bottom