• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Bojji

Good choice. There are no “potential negatives” or “confusing caveats” with this TV. You just connect your console, set picture to game mode, and play. If you have a PS5, the console automatically calibrates HDR with this TV.

But this doesn't mean auto settings will actually be the best:

Gaf bros ... what would be the biggest graphical and noticeable leap in presentation?

Playing a PS5 Slim on a 65in LG C3 OLED... compared a Hisense 55in U7K (LED 144hz, VRR, HDR)

or

Playing a PS5 Pro on the aforementioned Hisense U7K?

Saving up for either a Pro or a newer tv and was wondering which would provide the bigger "wow".
Contrast is a big differentiator for perceived image quality for human eyes. I would say go with the TV as you will probably use that when the next console comes around.

reinking

Gold Member
Gaf bros ... what would be the biggest graphical and noticeable leap in presentation?

Playing a PS5 Slim on a 65in LG C3 OLED... compared a Hisense 55in U7K (LED 144hz, VRR, HDR)

or

Saving up for either a Pro or a newer tv and was wondering which would provide the bigger "wow".

I'm not even an OLED purist but the TV will hands down be the better upgrade. Just the size difference alone is going to make a difference and adding in the image quality is going to blow you away. Bonus, you can use the TV for other content.

hinch7

Can we expect to see OLED TV prices come down?

How about smaller sizes?

I’d kill for a 32” for the bedroom.
Wait for black friday and Christmas sales at this point for best deals.

For the bedroom maybe an LG 42" C3 which I've seen go for low as £620'ish. And may drop lower.

As for 32" OLED TV's. There aren't any. There is the Samsung G8 GS80SD (I have one) which is a 4K QD-OLED monitor, with a remote + Tizen. Which essentially functions like a TV with smart apps, without an ariel for live TV. But that is currently over a £1000.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member

or

Man, C3 + PS5 Pro would be a dope combo. Can you trade in/sell PS5 to save some money?

If you have to go one at a time, 55 inch to 65 inch will be a bigger "wow", let alone it is from LED to OLED.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Man, C3 + PS5 Pro would be a dope combo. Can you trade in/sell PS5 to save some money?

If you have to go one at a time, 55 inch to 65 inch will be a bigger "wow", let alone it is from LED to OLED.

Sadly, I don’t think I could buy both at the same time. Hoping to get a good deal on the tv around Black Friday otherwise it’s probably just the pro around Christmas and the tv sometime early next year.

When’s the best time usually to buy a tv?

Last edited:

ap_puff

or

TV upgrade will be better on most things, the size upgrade is a big deal(especially if you aren't only using the TV to game on). PS pro down the line for the extra crispy IQ and framerates.

Black Friday you can get some discounts on TVs but it's usually the shitty ones that have the best deals. Usually you get good deals around CES when they announce the new models for the year or on Amazon prime day

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Sadly, I don’t think I could buy both at the same time. Hoping to get a good deal on the tv around Black Friday otherwise it’s probably just the pro around Christmas and the tv sometime early next year.

When’s the best time usually to buy a tv?
Normally it is Black Friday and April/May.
April/May is usually when they have new year's models and heavily discount previous year's. I think if you wait till next year, you should be able to get some good deals on C4.

Last edited:

ap_puff

As an addendum don't be afraid to shop open box at box stores like microcenter. Got my Sony OLED at almost half off MSRP, got an extended warranty on top and haven't had any issues.

Came from a LED 55 Samsung NU8000, which is very decent 2018 TV despite not even having Quantum Dot (it even has 120Hz panel) and now i recently got a 55 OLED LG B4...and im very happy with the upgrade. The most noticeable bump in image quality is with Dolby Vision content and gaming related, with my PS5 even from the home menu you can tell the difference...But the games in which ive seen the bigger upgrade are Gran Turismo 7, RE 4 remake and, believe or not, the PS4 remaster of Doom 3 (becuse its a darker game, so those infinite blacks pretty much sums up to the atmosphere). Also i've played Swich and PS3 on there, and i like the results, but isnt as staggering as when i play PS5 or Dolby Vision content.

Last edited:
But this doesn't mean auto settings will actually be the best:

In the interest of stopping misinformation, I personally tested this on my A95K. Reset the connection, the PS5 informed me that be optimal settings were made. I checked each setting and it is absolutely spot on. Both whites are correct and black is at zero as expected.

Consider this...
the-supreme-rk9s-debunked.gif

Top Bottom