• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

eznark

Banned
We'll start with 2015, rosters as is. Scouts will be on, managers will not be...I think. Basically I'll probably mirror the league I am in, since I am familiar with it. However I will run a few weeks of sims with various settings on/off to see what works and what doesn't before going live. I'll invite a couple of you guys into the pilot programs. I'd like us to start probably around real opening day, sooner if it's way smoother than I expect.

Beckx

Yeah I'd be in favor of keeping coaches/managers off. I've done an online league with scouts on, I'm cool with that.

Got 16 installed, going to sim some seasons and see the new features.

played for an hour today on 16, think im getting the hang of it, gonna finished reading thru the manuals though. man they have Syndergaard rated low here, even though he's still in top 10 prospect, maybe due to his age. been fun so far though

G-Fex

Man I'm so glad someone else plays OOTP, I've been trying to get into the series and now that I finished the book I played a bit of 15 I bought last year.

Now thanks to this thread and you Ez I want to buy this version.

I'd love to join but I haven't picked a team yet so eh. But I think I'll buy this <3

brentech

ok....I had no idea this required your own server.

Looking into what the fuck that means now

I just looked this up before heading to bed. Looks like the requirements are pretty basic. I don't own my domain anymore, but it seems like a pretty basic host is all that's required.
Just very FTP dependent.
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/index.php?man=ootp15&page=setting_up_an_online_league
Server Directories
For maximum security, we recommend that you create three separate directories on your server for the three types of files that will be uploaded. The three directories that you should create are as follows:

Team Uploads Directory - This is where managers in your league will upload their exports for each simulation period.
League File Directory - This is where the commissioner will upload the league file after each sim. It is also the directory from which individual managers will download the league file. If you choose to have managers download the league file via HTTP this folder should also allow web access.
Reports Directory - This is where the league reports will be uploaded. This directory should allow web access.
Of course, you can name these directories anything you want. The values above are simply the purpose for which we will use them.

Server FTP Accounts
Using two separate FTP accounts for your online league minimizes the number of potential ways in which a hacker could compromise a FTP account with read/write access. The FTP accounts are as follows:

Commissioner Account - This account needs to have read/write access to all three directories listed above via FTP.
Manager Account - This account only needs write access via FTP to the Team Uploads Directory. It does not need FTP access at all to the Reports Directory. Optionally, this account can have FTP read-only access to the League File Directory if you choose the option for managers to download the league file via FTP.
Not all hosts allow a shit load of different ftp accounts, but I didn't see how that needs to be setup at the moment.

Looks like the alternative is having every GM send your their update files every time, which is probably a bigger pain in the ass...maybe
If you intend to allow team managers to upload their exports directly from in-game, you should check this box. If your human managers will transfer team export files to the commissioner outside of OOTP (via a forum, e-mail, or other application), then this box can be left unchecked.

brentech

Reading through the post one last time.
It recommends only creating 2 FTP accounts.

One for you, the commissioner.
And one account that would be shared by all the other GMs, but has limited access.

So that's not really a problem even on cheap hosts.

Beckx

ok....I had no idea this required your own server.

Looking into what the fuck that means now

Hit me up by PM if you want, I run an OOTP online league (just for my son and some of his friends) so can answer some of the operational questions for what happens after the server is setup. I use allsimbaseball as a host because I didn't want to learn how to set up the back end. He sets all that up for you. Honestly though it's too pricey and eventually I want to migrate my league to a cheaper solution I set up myself. Lithium webhosting is cheap and well reviewed if you can set up the site yourself.

Here are the tutorials from allsimbaseball - these obviously apply after you've got the server itself ready to go. Last one is for league members. This is all from prior versions but I doubt they changed very much.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFxLiW5Od-c

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApIZTMactmg

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9QdPy6guMY

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmDmCKvwQog

For league members: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUky5-up7-Q

The biggest thing is getting the league upload/download settings right in the league online setup, otherwise GM clients will be looking for the wrong folders when trying to download or upload league files. That happened to me at first.

Theoretically you could skip the server business by manually putting the league files on dropbox for people to download, but then everyone would need to either email you team files for every sim or set up some kind of communal dropbox folder for uploading. A lot more manual than just using a server. And the huge downside (for me at least) is that you wouldn't have the online site to browse at work, away from the game, etc.

eznark

Banned
Yeah I have no idea on the back end stuff. The in game stuff I think I have figured out.

I have no expectations of having a league website. If I go with allsimbaseball and that package makes sense than maybe, but otherwise don't expect it.

brentech

We just need any website host. There doesn't have to be a webpage on it or anything.

Need FTP access with minimum 2 accounts. Preferably with FTP permissions enabled to limit the GM account to only being able to WRITE files to one specific directory. The Commissioner account can read/write on all 3 of the OOTP directories.

GMs don't have to do anything outside the game. They just have to make these settings one time for the server connection. Then when they finish their changes each cycle just click on Export Team via FTP
league_file_download_options.jpg

www.siteground.com is $48/year and looks like the new stable host for this type of use. I think I could set it up fairly quick.

eznark

Banned
Cool. I have no problem paying for it and setting up everything in game, just need the url's basically. If the league has some traction we can look at putting up a site. It would definitely be rad but I've been involved in a lot of GAF leagues, let's not put the cart before the horse!

brentech

Yeah, no point in spending time on a site unless the league is really alive.
I think setting up the FTP folders and accounts should take like 30min absolute tops assuming there isn't some problem.

Beckx

$48/yr is a helluva lot better. I need to learn to do this part. brentech mind letting me know the basic steps you use to set it up after you get it done?

Ferny

Ez, I have my own server with a ton of space. Dont pay for hosting. Just let me know when you wanna try and set it up. Ill create the FTP accounts and whatever.

eznark

Banned
Ez, I have my own server with a ton of space. Dont pay for hosting. Just let me know when you wanna try and set it up. Ill create the FTP accounts and whatever.

You're the best ferndog. Talk to Brent, I don't know fuck about fuck.

I picked it up and can't wait to dive in, but my Twins are already taken. :(

Anyway, I'm excited to lead them to eventual glory against the AI. :p

It's awesome that baseball season is here again!

AL East

Yankees - ferny, bigat
Orioles - kayotix
Blue Jays - doctorwho
Red Sox - sanjuro
Rays - darkside

AL Central

Tigers - got the shakes
White Sox - crow
Twins - synchronicity
Royals - pete_clarf
Indians - brentech

AL West

A's - cosmicqueso
Angels - frozenprince
Rangers - ryseing
Mariners - purple cheeto
Astros - acheron

NL East

Mets - dmncnby
Braves - crimson
Marlins - pistolpete
Nationals - bacon
Phillies

NL Central

Cubs - mrbob
Reds
Cards - shalashaska
Brewers - eznark
Pirates - beckx

NL West

Giants - xianaphryz
Dodgers - tekumseh
Rockies
Padres - nightz
D'Backs

G-Fex hasn't claimed a team. BigAT and Ferny need to figure out who's getting the yanks.

Available Teams: Phillies, Reds, Rockies, D'Backs

eznark

Banned
AT and Ferny will be settling it in Smash. (I think they both have smash?) If not I'll come up with some other dumb way to settle it.

Good lord we only have 3 openings...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AT and Ferny will be settling it in Smash. (I think they both have smash?) If not I'll come up with some other dumb way to settle it.

You can always add new teams and dilute the talent pool with an expansion draft. ;)

Ferny

I think he has WiiU smash, I do not have a WiiU any longer.

If he already has the game and wants the Yanks, he can have them. I'll probably just do a solo franchise.

KaYotiX

Banned
im pretty hyped for this now, hopefully I can get some trainng time in before we start the actual league ;)

DOTA 2 items paid for this game for me lol :)

brentech

Sorry I mean't i'll do a solo one with them if anything. I'm still in it.

I don't know what your domain is, but are you able to create a sub domain for the league with whatever eznark chooses the league name to be. (or I'm sure just, ootp.yourdomain.com would work just fine for simplicity since it's all MLB now anyways)

Then from there we can just create the 3 folders ootp suggests:
teams
league
reports

Need two FTP accounts created;
commissioner
manager

commish account has read/write access to all 3 of those folders. Manager has write access to teams folder and read access to league folder.

That's the basics and most everything that is needed to get a start.

eznark

Banned
In honor of Luke I'd like to call it the Scum & Villany Baseball League but Luke has forsaken us all so it'll just be GAF Online Baseball League.

Gobble gobble gobble.

Online Dyasty Baseball League is also on my shortlist but you guys don't believe I listen to rap so that's out.

Shiv47

I'll take the Phillies, nothing like a project, and I have no attachment to the team or city. Been in one OOTP league before, but it involved essentially writing fiction around your team and that was a bit weird.

XiaNaphryz

I'll take the Phillies, nothing like a project, and I have no attachment to the team or city. Been in one OOTP league before, but it involved essentially writing fiction around your team and that was a bit weird.

Heh, would be funny if we had other Gaffers see how things progress and act as beat writers/analysts/commentators. Though I think for that we'd have to also publish results out to webpages beyond the FTP account stuff so they can view things out of game.

eznark

Banned
Heh, would be funny if we had other Gaffers see how things progress and act as beat writers/analysts/commentators. Though I think for that we'd have to also publish results out to webpages beyond the FTP account stuff so they can view things out of game.

I'd be happy to let someone else commish or co-commish to have access to those files if they want it on the web and are capable of making it happen.

Shiv47

If it was someone with a good grasp of all the sabermetric stats and could provide analysis type stuff, that would be interesting, but I'm not sure who'd have the time. The league I was in was more like soap opera-ish stuff that just seemed strange to me to be a part of, so I quit. Plus, the league had entrenched OOTP savants that dominated it and being cannon fodder for years wasn't especially interesting, given the writing required.

XiaNaphryz

I'd be happy to let someone else commish or co-commish to have access to those files if they want it on the web and are capable of making it happen.

If Ferny's hosting stuff he probably should be co-commish anyway to help with troubleshooting.

brentech

At 48 bucks, was thinking about just getting us a dedicated domain, but my favorite name choices aren't available:
gobl.com (only $12,950)
gobleague.com

god damn squatters!

If you preorder it and email them about not having received the download you might be in luck. From what I've heard, they've been real lenient about it. Cool dudes

eznark

Banned
Well it probably unlocks no later than noon tomorrow right?

Response:

@eznark Hopefully by early afternoon German time, so mid-morning East coast & early morning West coast. That's my guess.

Top Bottom