• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

Just simmed 2015 and Sonny Gray won the pitching triple crown. Of course, my A's got knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs. Typical.

Along the way, I've made a series of critical mistakes in trading and roster management, leaving me $18 million over budget starting 2016 (thanks Curtis Granderson) and now I can't trade any of my 4 high salary guys, meaning I'm screeeeeeeeewed.

Billy Beane gets a lot of love, but he needs to get more. Working on the restrictions of the A's is a hell of a challenge.

Rommel

Totally stoked to build up my contender... the new layout is glorious :)

What kind of time frame are we looking to start?

I would imagine that if we're doing one sim a day, that we would have it coincide with the actual MLB season. On another note, if we were to get overwhelming interest (i doubt this), we could open up spots in the japanese league or something for the waitlist players.

Ferny

I would imagine that if we're doing one sim a day, that we would have it coincide with the actual MLB season. On another note, if we were to get overwhelming interest (i doubt this), we could open up spots in the japanese league or something for the waitlist players.

I say keep it at the MLB level. We almost never keep everyone the whole season and I bet the newness factor will wear out for some and they might drop. Might as well keep it at a manageable level for now.

KaYotiX

Banned
Watched a few streams today, can't wait to pay this Tuesday night.

What time frame are we looking at to start? Just a heads up my work schedule is wierd. Work for railroad and I'm home for 30 hrs between trips and gone out of town for 24-35 hrs at a time.

eznark

Banned

We aren't going to open up additional leagues. This league isn't even full yet. Also we are not opening it to anyone who doesn't have a GAF account.

Why would sticking to the MLB schedule matter?

Ferny

Since that mod is mainly visual (photos, logos etc), that won't affect the online leagues will it? As in, if one person has it installed everyone else won't necessarily need it? Though it looks like something everyone should snag anyway.

We're all using Eznark's files so doubt it.

eznark

Banned
Shouldn't be an issue. Those mods just change what you see, they are all installed locally.

Does the show come out tomorrow? Totally forgot.

We aren't going to open up additional leagues. This league isn't even full yet. Also we are not opening it to anyone who doesn't have a GAF account.

Why would sticking to the MLB schedule matter?

Yeah I know, I didn't believe there would ever be that much demand for it. Although I do think we've had 30 people express their intent on playing already. Whether that means that the league is full or not is a different question.

As for the MLB schedule, for some reason I was under the impression that the season was kicking off this week. Don't mind me.

edit: It's actually 31

G-Fex

I'm going to skip out this season then. I confess never actually play in depth games as most of the times i just like playing through a lot of games in the schedule. So learning this is kinda complex. I suppose I'll pass, hopefully i'll learn this stuff. Til then you guys have fun. I'll be committing myself to learning this game!

eznark

Banned
I'm going to skip out this season then. I confess never actually play in depth games as most of the times i just like playing through a lot of games in the schedule. So learning this is kinda complex. I suppose I'll pass, hopefully i'll learn this stuff. Til then you guys have fun. I'll be committing myself to learning this game!

May as well learn while playing in the league!

eznark

Banned
Here is where we are at:

AL East

Yankees - ferny
Orioles - kayotix
Blue Jays - doctorwho
Red Sox - sanjuro
Rays - darkside

AL Central

Tigers - got the shakes
White Sox - crow
Twins - synchronicity
Royals - pete_clarf
Indians - brentech

AL West

A's - cosmicqueso
Angels - frozenprince
Rangers - ryseing
Mariners - purple cheeto
Astros - acheron

NL East

Mets - dmncnby
Braves - crimson
Marlins - pistolpete
Nationals - bacon
Phillies

NL Central

Cubs - mrbob
Reds - BigAT
Cards - shalashaska
Brewers - eznark
Pirates - beckx

NL West

Giants - xianaphryz
Dodgers - tekumseh
Rockies - phee
Padres - nightz
D'Backs - Rommel

ONE SPOT LEFT, IT'S CALLING YOUR NAME GFEX

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What does it do?

Downloading this now, description says:

2015_AIO - Contains Jerseys, Caps, Logos, Facegens and High Res photos, Baseball Card Templates. Note: Joplin Blasters and Sussex County Miners are the teams without unis (they have not released their unis yet). Contains everything needed for a new game (Install this prior to starting a league or you will have to manually update your existing game).

Looks like it's just a bit over a 430 MB download.

if you download the patch, will my old save file not work anymore? it wont open, just gonna restart again, was just wondering if i did something wrong.

eznark

Banned
Is there going to be a secret trade council?

No. If a trade works financially it is fine. But the ownership can convene and remove an owner for conduct detrimental to the gobl.

Rules will be posted later after I test to see if some stuff is still kind of broken.

eznark

Banned
So I am thinking at first we'll play using the in game rules. The problems I have seen in past versions stem from players accepting dumb contracts. Rule of thumb, if you think a contract is unlikely to occur in the real world (sometimes you've been able to monkey with AAV to get players to do dumb shit) I'll probably ask for clarification. If I have to keep asking you for clarification I'll get tired of your face.

Here are the rules in another league I play in that has been going a looooooong time. Not saying we'll implement these, but any thoughts:

Below are all house rules for the New City Baseball League as of Feb 7th 2014.

Miscellaneous.

*162 game MLB format schedule including inter-league play.

Waiver length -8 days.

DFA length - 10 days.

DH in American League only.

Extensions.

*You may offer 1 extension to a player at any time during his first 6 years of major league service.

*Players at the end of any extension or free agent contract will automatically go free agent when their contract expires.

*Contracts Extensions are 5 Year Maximum.

*Team options that are for more than the FIRST year of the deal must include a 50% buyout.

*You may not ALTER any incentive packages for Cy young awards, MVP, plate appearance bonuses etc. These are usually 5 and sometimes 6 figures or less. Any huge incentives that are discovered will result in a stern talking to.

*Player Options ARE allowed. Any TEAM option offered that is above the previous year's salary MUST be given a 50% buy out clause. If a player is discovered to have been offered a huge team bonus with no buyout, the owner will receive a stern talking to.

*Extensions may drop in yearly value over time -- 5% max per year.

Free Agents:

*7 year max contract offer.

*Contracts that increase in value are allowed.

*Team options that are for more than the FIRST year of the deal must include a 50% buyout.

*No more than ONE team option year may be included in an offer.

*Contracts that decline in value may not decline by more than 5% each year

*Incentives are allowed, within reason; just do not edit them if they appear and you'll be fine

*Vesting options are allowed but must be cleared by the commish -- no more "60 plate appearances by your closer" options. I will almost never nullify a vesting option; just don't be dumb about it. Only 1 vesting option per player.

*Player options are allowed.

Trades:

*All trades must be confirmed by both parties via the FORUM. If it's not there it's not valid. There is a section inside the trade forum for confirmations,. Please use that when confirming a trade (no banter there, please)

*Trading of Draft Picks is not allowed.

* The 10/5 rule is not enforced.

*Teams must still be able to afford any trades made, either via budget or available cash.

I honestly don't think we need to implement any of these at this time, outside of the no draft pick trading which i think I can turn off anyway. We'll do everything in game and on this board.

The free agent/extension rules were implemented because after 20 years, the free agent pool was essentially barren. At some point that may make sense for us but we don't have to be in a rush, and I'm hoping they've tweaked finances to be a bit more consistent long term.

brentech

Got the league uploads/downloads/reports working. Here is a link to my online test league.

It looks like any mods and themes you have installed at the creation of the league actually effect how the webpage looks as well.
This was my second test, originally I had the default white theme and the webpages were white. I also have that ALL-IN-ONE mod installed, so there are player images.
If eznark decides to go without that, they won't appear on the site, but I think they should work within your own game (I might be wrong about that).

History doesn't work because the game doesn't place a file there as the league has no history. I'll probably fix that with a redirect page and let the game copy over it when we have history. I'll also have the main site for the league go directly to the MLB home as linked above. All of this is created by the game, and there are some logos missing in lower leagues, but if anything is super broken, please let me know.

Our league will be at http://gobl.obleague.com/ but right now I just have the OOTP placeholder banner there.

Ferny

Derek Norris to Miss Time After Tripping Over Coffee Table
Thursday, April 23rd, 2015
Derek Norris will miss a week after a freak accident in his hotel room. Norris woke early and when attempting to get up to close the curtains in his room, he tripped over a coffee table. The table toppled over and struck his toes. An MRI was negative, but Norris will miss a week.

LOL!

Rommel

Dangerous having these reports online. Spending time at work sifting through my roster. My trade block will be rather sizable lol...

Top Bottom